Missouri 63, Illinois 56 POSTGAME

I just wonder if we had TNT, maybe we wouldn't have to chop so much wood? Aye Aye Aye....catch phrases, motto's, etc enough already. This team flat out doesn't play a full game, wish BU would quite with the coach speak and simply say. We have to do better, we have to learn to coach and they have to learn how to play full games, short, succinct, and final!

At least Giorgi owned that he was terrible and let his team down....why can't anyone else?

Tevian in the gain 3 Tigers swept by for a putback

Tevian has no game experience (his doing) and quite frankly, it wouldn't surprise me to see him end up having a Kipper type of career...assuming nothing else happens first. The kid is athletic, just not a player imo, he seems lost most of the time on defense, has occasional offensive sparks that adds to us and leaves us wanting more (last year MSG game), but ultimately is a 5th on the court and not much else?

um, that's an embarrassing take on things.

There's plenty of overreaction on the negative side when it comes to DMW. But maybe you could stop with the overreaction on the positive side. DMW had a bad game. IT wasn't just the missed layups. A few bad turnovers and a bad foul as the shot clock was winding down.

The guy hustles. But there's plenty missing to his game and it's hurting us. If you can't see that I'm sorry.
What you just said about DMW you could've said about everyone on the team...let's see lack of scoring everyone check, bad turnovers everyone check, lack of rebounds everyone check, lack of effort everyone check...etc. etc.

What you just said about DMW you could've said about everyone on the team...let's see lack of scoring everyone check, bad turnovers everyone check, lack of rebounds everyone check, lack of effort everyone check...etc. etc.
So the criticism of DW is invalid because others have the same problem?

I could start a blog and start giving my half baked ideas about the problems on the team.

I just made a simple observation that DMW's lack of scoring hurts us. It's about as common sense of an observation that you can find, but his supporters seem to take offense at the obvious. Sorry.

Here. I'll throw in another. Ayo needs to be a three point threat to really elevate his game. Is it all better now? I'll wait for Ayo defenders to come and attack the observation but I doubt any will because everyone pretty much agrees on it. But the glue guy has some odd defenders that don't like criticism.

JJE

Bethalto, IL
The day after. I feel like I have a more levelheaded view after yesterday's debacle. So here it is:
Brad figure it out or get out here.
Wait, I guess I'm still mad.

I find it funny that our staff and players preach defense/pressure/knowing assignments/etc, however we DON'T pressure defense full court at appropriate times.

Should have pressured Maryland with their limited guard play outside of Cowan
Should have pressured Missouri with Pinson out of control alot, M Smith not a pressured ball handler, Dru Smith bull in a china shop?

I mean c'mon man, (BU) we have Ayo/Frazier/Feliz/Griffin/Williams/Jones (now)/Nichols all of which gives us length (remember that is what BU likes to recruit (length), and then we don't use it? 40 Minutes of hell we could implement easily imo, yet we choose not to use our assets? 7 players could be plugged in anywhere with little drop off in talent anywhere (hard to argue at this point) and we would lose nothing and hopefully create easy offense for this team that struggles mightly in this area.

I mean if teams are thin at guard, why not press them? We have 6-7 games left that we could employ this and it may work, at least it would be more effort/hustle/pressure, all of what we are looking for from 40 min.

Since when did PF (Power-Failure)/ CSG (Can't Shoot_it-Guard) Ugg Lee start getting minutes for my Fighting Illini? Yuck, Yuck, Yuck!

I've been reading thru all the comments to see if someone else saw what I saw. I didn't really get to watch much of the first half due to x-mas dinner at the in-laws, but this was my take on the game. I have not seen reffing like this for awhile. Can't say the refs were biased, but I thought they were the difference in the game.

I'm not sure I would say they were the difference in the game...because I don't think the majority of the calls favored one team over the other....but I thought the officiating was very inconsistent...there were several occasions I thought wow that's got to be a foul but they played on .....then at other times there wasn't much contact and the foul was called....just thought it was poorly officiated but not slanted either way

Honestly, this loss should not surprise anyone, this is who we are. Handling Michigan is also who we are. There’s absolutely no way to predict the outcome game to game...it‘s both incredibly frustrating and incredibly hopeful.
Indeed....I hope the "other" ILLINI squad shows up for the rest of the games.

With a day to reflect, my thought is that too much emphasis is being placed on “lack of effort” or somehow not being as pumped up for this game as they were.

We had a lead 10-15 minutes into the game despite a couple of prayer-threes going in for Mizzou. As fans, we are crazy-excited for this game - but a more calm, business-like demeanor was working for the players.

Then Cuonzo made some adjustments on defense and we didn’t score a bucket for 15 minutes. Only after that did we lose all heart and start giving up multiple tip back points.

It’s either a bad offense, or an offense that only works with an assist-minded leader. Add to that, we don’t make adjustments on par with other coaches.

Hopefully, this offer just needs a real point guard to be successful. But even then, it’s not yet January and we are in “wait till next year” mode.

Sucks to be us. Again. I L L

Toward the end of the PC, I think it was Piper asked what was wrong with the offensive rhythm and why the ball was sticking/not getting good looks. Brad says, “when I figure it out I’ll let you know”.

I’m not sure whether to laugh or cry at that response.

I'm not sure I would say they were the difference in the game...because I don't think the majority of the calls favored one team over the other....but I thought the officiating was very inconsistent...there were several occasions I thought wow that's got to be a foul but they played on .....then at other times there wasn't much contact and the foul was called....just thought it was poorly officiated but not slanted either way

as I said, the reffing was not biased. But if you get fouled and it goes as a TO, then you fouled on a shot, and its not called, then you barely touch a guy and the ref calls a foul, etc., it gets in your head. You start playing differently.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
It seems to me that we have had more slow starts to the game or the second halves under BU than other coaches....I would further elaborate that we have had more scoring droughts and longer scoring droughts under BU than I can remember....That is on the coach, IMHO.....A coach has to have the pulse of the team and know when to push them or pull back based on their play on the court..

the coach stands on the sideline for a reason..To lead the team, to watch their play and make adjustments based on what he sees on the court and what he thinks will be to the betterment of the team and their play...

I'm not seeing any adjustments on offense , as we still run the weave, or set screens at the elbows or pass around the perimeter until eventually someone goes 1-on-1 ....Numerous times yesterday Kofi worked his defender where Kofi had the positive position and NO pass into the paint...time and again I wondered " kofi's open, pass him the ball.

I stand by my criticism of DW as I rewatched the game and his play was horrible...out of control, bad passes, blown layups and TERRIBLE defense...I guess we are at the point where I am going to refrain from my rants as BU continues to play him and we continue to get zero production on O and blow bys on D from him.....

I really thought we were a tourney team this year, but after 12 games I'm finally realizing we aren't..Too much uncertainty regarding READY to play, let alone play during the games....We had a 15 minute FG drought yesterday.....Think about that !!! 15 minutes of missing shots , turnovers , offensive fouls , poor rebounding and blocking out.....

We have way too many holes to go dancing now....I just hope we can better our 12-21 record from last year...i think the jury is out on that...if we approach another 12-21 season then buyout be damned...We are BETTER than this...way better than what has transpired before our eyes....

Playing favorites over more athletic players has to stop...If we are going to have a losing season, at least give others a chance....i have seen enough missed layups and poor play to convince me we need to start thinking about changes to the staff and everyone is accountable for their performance...

JMHO

I LOVED Ayo's quote in his press conference. It's hitting the nail on the head and it's cool that he recognizes it.

We shouldn't have to wait for coach to get on us and yell at us. We should have more respect for the game.

That's about as honest and true as it gets. He knows they got out hustled, he knows they got the fight taken to them. If the coach has to yell and scream to get them motivated before the game, during the game and at halftime....that's a problem. There has to be a leader on the floor. They guy who speaks up and lights a fire. Who is that guy? It's supposed to be Ayo. He's talking the game, I can't confirm whether he's walking it.

With all due respect to Kofi, someone needed to take him by the jersey and lite him up. It was the first game this year where I thought the moment was bigger than he was. Only two rebounds, caught watching the play, not playing through contact, not going up strong and finishing plays. Hoping that's a lesson learned because he's got 18 games of that competition coming.

Rad

Nashville, TN
We are a team of terrible passers and our point guard can't go left and needs to push off often when going to his right. We rarely start to drive with intention of drawing double so as to pass off. Should not be that hard to create open 3's. Biggest disappointment of BU era is inability of our offensive sets to get our shooters the ball where they can be successful.

Do not forget Coach K was 11-17 in his 3rd year at Duke. Sure I'm disappointed in yesterday's ugly performance, but I think Underwood will turn this program into a national power. Have a little more patience. This season is not over and the near future is bright. We'll be cutting down the nets in a couple of years.

It seems to me that we have had more slow starts to the game or the second halves under BU than other coaches....I would further elaborate that we have had more scoring droughts and longer scoring droughts under BU than I can remember....That is on the coach, IMHO.....A coach has to have the pulse of the team and know when to push them or pull back based on their play on the court..

the coach stands on the sideline for a reason..To lead the team, to watch their play and make adjustments based on what he sees on the court and what he thinks will be to the betterment of the team and their play...

I'm not seeing any adjustments on offense , as we still run the weave, or set screens at the elbows or pass around the perimeter until eventually someone goes 1-on-1 ....Numerous times yesterday Kofi worked his defender where Kofi had the positive position and NO pass into the paint...time and again I wondered " kofi's open, pass him the ball.

I stand by my criticism of DW as I rewatched the game and his play was horrible...out of control, bad passes, blown layups and TERRIBLE defense...I guess we are at the point where I am going to refrain from my rants as BU continues to play him and we continue to get zero production on O and blow bys on D from him.....

I really thought we were a tourney team this year, but after 12 games I'm finally realizing we aren't..Too much uncertainty regarding READY to play, let alone play during the games....We had a 15 minute FG drought yesterday.....Think about that !!! 15 minutes of missing shots , turnovers , offensive fouls , poor rebounding and blocking out.....

We have way too many holes to go dancing now....I just hope we can better our 12-21 record from last year...i think the jury is out on that...if we approach another 12-21 season then buyout be damned...We are BETTER than this...way better than what has transpired before our eyes....

Playing favorites over more athletic players has to stop...If we are going to have a losing season, at least give others a chance....i have seen enough missed layups and poor play to convince me we need to start thinking about changes to the staff and everyone is accountable for their performance...

JMHO
Other than those things you mentioned I believe we are on the right track { head in hands }.

JMHO

I agree with most of this. Some posters get fired up about criticism of players, but in reality it is criticism of BU's personnel and playing time decisions. I don't know what Gentry's 'higher end analytics' are telling him, but he needs to get a new computer if this is the output.

I thought BU's comments on Pickett were eye-opening. He specifically mentioned that he 'cuts hard and with a purpose'. Despite BU's offense supposedly thriving on cuts and passing lanes, our guys just go through the motions through the lane. (BTW, DMW is about the worst offender there. He jogs through the lane and *never*, I mean *never* even pretends that he wants the ball.) For the life of me, I cannot figure out why BU doesn't just plant guys on the bench every time he sees it. They would get the message and it would lead to at least a little more flow and opportunity in the offense. 75-80% of the movement is wasted (and that includes the much-beloved 'weave.')

as I said, the reffing was not biased. But if you get fouled and it goes as a TO, then you fouled on a shot, and its not called, then you barely touch a guy and the ref calls a foul, etc., it gets in your head. You start playing differently.
It wasn't biased, unless you mean they let lots of contact and hand slapping under the basket, and had a quick whistle for any hand checking in the back court. Ultimately, didn't work in our favor, but it was called the same against both teams. Not an excuse to miss all of the layups, badly.