Missouri 63, Illinois 56 POSTGAME

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
I think we all love the effort DMW gives us defensively and with rebounds, but at some point he has to give us something offensively such as making the easy layups and baskets

Agreed...this is the reasonable take on DMW. He should be more aggressive offensively. He gives up on his drive too early and looks to pass when he has an advantage. I don't know if it's lack of confidence in his knee, or in his head....it's definitely frustrating....but he's not the black hole some on here make him out to be.

Deleted member 656517

D
Agreed...this is the reasonable take on DMW. He should be more aggressive offensively. He gives up on his drive too early and looks to pass when he has an advantage. I don't know if it's lack of confidence in his knee, or in his head....it's definitely frustrating....but he's not the black hole some on here make him out to be.
His knee injury was 2 yrs ago. He is what he is offensively at this point imo. Feel like his efforts are better served coming off the bench and not taking away some minutes from players that can actually create offense(Griffin) instead of just passing it right back

There were some ridiculous misses by everyone today. Not just DMW. GMAFB. Singling out this guy today is more embarrassing than this loss. Pathetic.
um, that's an embarrassing take on things.

There's plenty of overreaction on the negative side when it comes to DMW. But maybe you could stop with the overreaction on the positive side. DMW had a bad game. IT wasn't just the missed layups. A few bad turnovers and a bad foul as the shot clock was winding down.

The guy hustles. But there's plenty missing to his game and it's hurting us. If you can't see that I'm sorry.

-I actually think Ayo had his best game as an Illini. He was the only one able to go get a bucket today. And don't blame him for not having assists, he passed out several times to wide open shooters and they either missed or didn't take the shot at all.
-Mi. Smith got in Giorgi's head early and tormented him the whole game.
Giorgi has on to many occasions gone street ball on the offensive end this year and picks up to many STUPID fouls.
-I do believe its time for Griffin to start the rest of the year at the 3.
-I also believe we have to run more sets for Trent. He has to get more shots up. I wish I had the stats but it seems like when he was a freshman he was relentless to the hole.
-not blaming the refs on this loss...but...Kofi was fouled every time he touched the ball.

Agree with all this except possibly AG needing to start. I do think he needs to get more minutes, but with the make up of the team currently might be best for him to come off bench. But definitely needs more minutes.

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
I’m emotionally detached from the team now. (Maybe I should have never been emotionally ATTACHED but I’m a sports fan, I can’t help it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

I’ll still root for the team, but I know longer expect them to turn the corner and don’t have high hopes Brad Underwood will bring us back.

I did this with Lovie and football after the EMU loss. So maybe, just maybe, basketball will surprise like football did.

It should be interesting to see where this "security needed to restrain Underwood from going after a fan" thing goes. Seems awfully quiet if it is true.

Deleted member 656517

D
I’d like to see us try going small and have kipper in there for Georgi. If he’s not confident in hitting long jumpers there’s no point in having him in there consistently with Kofi

Flight#33

Flight#33
I’m emotionally detached from the team now. (Maybe I should have never been emotionally ATTACHED but I’m a sports fan, I can’t help it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

I’ll still root for the team, but I know longer expect them to turn the corner and don’t have high hopes Brad Underwood will bring us back.

I did this with Lovie and football after the EMU loss. So maybe, just maybe, basketball will surprise like football did.

That is exactly how I feel, I let myself get sucked in to the modest expectations.
I am now in a wait and see/ prove it to me , state of mind.

Agree with all this except possibly AG needing to start. I do think he needs to get more minutes, but with the make up of the team currently might be best for him to come off bench. But definitely needs more minutes.
AG ...had several open looks that didnt go down. It happens. Ayo drives were working and we should have played to what was working. KC missed probably 6 layups...it happens. We have young players....but unfortunately our coaching is not adjusting for best chance of winning. Regardless of "holes"..
...we have the better talent over Mizzou. If you are best on paper, and you cannot overcome normal player malfunctions and eek out a win ,...it means you were outcoached...either game prep, ...or in-game coaching or both.

Deleted member 656517

D
only problem with that is Kofi would never get the ball. Seems like Georgi is the only one who tries/can get it to him
I see what you’re sayin, but without Georgi in there it might open up some space for our terrible passing guards to get it in to him. Imo it’s worth a try because these scoring droughts we go on can’t continue

There were some ridiculous misses by everyone today. Not just DMW. GMAFB. Singling out this guy today is more embarrassing than this loss. Pathetic.
Plenty of blame to go around in this turd of a performance. Giorgi with six turnovers, outrebounded, gave them way too many extra opportunities. Mizzou was VERY lucky to make desperation threes - give them credit though for being tougher and more aggressive. I'm surprised we weren't able to drive more when we got in the bonus with 13 minutes left. Griffin was aggressive but couldn't find the rim. Feliz had the worst game of the year. And yes, boys, gotta make the bunnies.

I am prepared to give Ayo the benefit of the doubt, and that he may grown into the position. But there is ample evidence to support this position. I can not remember one time this season when Ayo had the ball and made a great play in which I yelled out "Great pass."

After today's loss, KenPom moves us down to #43 and 9th in the B1G. 9th in B!G and currently 4 losses at this point of the season is not good for dance purposes.

We let them turn this game into a half court slugfest. Missouri struggles against the press and we wait until the 3 minute mark to press. Totally outcoached again. Missouri does not have more talent than we have.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Ugh! What a steamer! Very disappointing and that's an understatement. The lion's share of the blame is on the players. Didn't think our floor was that low. Ha! Flippin' abysmal. Back to the football threads.

Ayo, is not the problem a certain poster alluded, too. He's been more efficient inside the arc this year than last and less efficient outside it. He has not played near as well as I hoped he would thus far, either. I think he tries to do to much at times, but i don't think he is a ball hog or hindering everyone elses performance. He like the rest of the team do not pass the ball well.
To say there is grumbling among the players concerning Ayo and his play is absolutely ridiculous when the poster has no knowledge whatsoever about this. Pure unneeded speculation.
I would also like to see TF get more shots. I'd put the ball in his hands morfrom the get go.

Deleted member 29907

D
Not laying blame but it seems like our guard play has digressed severely this year. New coach we got from Gonzaga got anything to do with this ? I thought he was supposed to be a guard whisperer.

The weave has got to go. We NEVER turn the corner in that. It might as well be a JG offense.

USAFILLINI

Florida
I see what you’re sayin, but without Georgi in there it might open up some space for our terrible passing guards to get it in to him. Imo it’s worth a try because these scoring droughts we go on can’t continue
I agree with you, something has to change

IlliniRon

Illini Basketball Fan Forever
Ft Worth, Texas
That was pretty tough to watch. Missouri made contact on almost every Illinois possession, some got called, some didn't and I didn't think most of our guys were ready for the level of contact they experienced, except Ayo. We also let them get a lot of put backs after missing their first shots. Plus the missed layups and dunks really catch up to you by the end of the game. The offensive output was embarrassing for the high powered Illini, and the defensive rebounding was lacking. Seems like Ayo was the main guard playing today with the others out of sync with the game. Much improvement needed for the BIG season where there will be similar amounts of contact on the road games.