Northwestern 72, Illinois 68 OT POSTGAME

Another big weakness in Smith's game is he really isn't a very good passer at all. I honestly thought he would have more of that in his game than he does. On another note, if Alstork could hit the broad side of a barn on his 3 point shot that would be nice. And we had another game of 19 TO's, we need to get that down to 10-11.

Man, it's not even Christmas yet and we're already not a tournament team? Gotta love the ups and downs of IL. Can't wait to see the predictions that we will finish in the top 5 after we beat Maryland.:)

We win this game if it's in February. We would have fewer turnovers, we would get a few more baskets off executing the offense, and Mark Smith would score a few more. Simple as that. A lot of possessions are still really awkward right now, give it time.

I HIGHLY doubt it. At this point, I'm just interested in seeing how their rolls pan out. A big question going into the season was....who can make free throws down the stretch and who is going to be the guy who wants the ball with the game hanging in the balance

We're 0-1 in finding that out.

I think you are in the minority (especially objective people). Our problems within the team and our 4-5 team bid conference will make it HIGHLY doubtful.

Im OK with Black, personally. Don't think of him as an offensive superstar and think he is at least as good as my rating of him. But Finke and Alstork? So far? Yeah, not so much.

What game were you watching? Finke played his a** off, but could not get any shots off (not sure why). Black played tough--hustled, rebounded, made some shots; not perfect but great effort. Alstork played his best game of the season: great defense and hustle; good passing; made some mistakes, but overall a great game.

If that game was scheduled for January, we win it. We're a team with 5 freshman and 1 senior still learning a brand new system, and for the freshmen how to play high-level D1 basketball.

t7nich

Central IL
None of us have a clue why Smith didn't play. I'm sure BU has his reasons. What I will say is that he currently isn't showing that he can play good, aggressive D without silly fouls.

Not counting the clean block he had that was called a foul.

FeelTheLovie

Louisville, KY
It’s easy to get frustrated, but we need to be more realistic in the fact that this team won’t be a favorite in almost any big ten game this year. We are not a good team and won’t be this season. We’re getting everyone back next year and they’re all getting experience in the fire right now. There is not the level of maturity or the winning attitude needed to make an NCAA tourney and may not be until we have more Underwood recruits.

IlliniRunIn07

Tampa, FL
Dude... If you really want to point out disappointments, it's all of our upperclassmen, less Jordan.

Black, Finke and Alstork....those are supposed to be the go to guys on a young team. They're nowhere to be found. That's the issue right now.

Yeah Finke has been extremely disappointing the past two games. But you do realize that Black and Alstork were our #1 and #2 scorers tonight. They were also our #1 and #3 rebounders tonight. Alstork also led the team in assists. I wish they would chill on the turnovers a bit, but other than that this is a weird postgame thread to call them out on.

Another big weakness in Smith's game is he really isn't a very good passer at all. I honestly thought he would have more of that in his game than he does. On another note, if Alstork could hit the broad side of a barn on his 3 point shot that would be nice. And we had another game of 19 TO's, we need to get that down to 10-11.

4 of those turnovers I think were Black with a walk. He needs to learn how to dribble on the perimeter.

4 of those turnovers I think were Black with a walk. He needs to learn how to dribble on the perimeter.

And dribble before he makes a move. Nothing drives me more nuts than seeing a player make an unforced turnover.

For those saying execution was bad, watch the last few minutes of regulation again. Kipper missed a layup off an out-of-bounds play and AJ missed an open jumper off a curl. Then the refs stole a possession from us with the phantom offensive foul on Black. We got good shots, they will fall in the future. On the flipside, we turned NW over 3 straight times. Damonte was coming in for defense at the end of regulation and OT, and he got 2 or 3 steals. BU pushed the right buttons, should've finished the game in regulation.

Funniest thing i heard tonight was we had to keep putting Finke out there due to issues with not enough bigs. Well i normally would agree with that except it was against Northwestern. Didn't have to play a big because im sorry but Pardon isn't going to take over any game nor is any big they would of thrown out there.

I can see making a statement with Smith not that i liked it but i can see it. This would of been the perfect time to make a statement to Finke because lets be honest 2 completely flat games in a row with him. He was completely lost out there tonight and contributed nothing. Black needs a break well Kipper could of played the 5 tonight against them.

At one point we had 4 really non scorers out there on the floor at the same time. Every game against the zone its the same thing. Pass the ball around the outside and end up making a mistake or a horrible shot. Underwood wants to instill his offense fine but how about working on the beating the zone before throwing more into their young minds.

EJ33

San Francisco
None of us have a clue why Smith didn't play. I'm sure BU has his reasons. What I will say is that he currently isn't showing that he can play good, aggressive D without silly fouls.

Tejon and Alstork were playing well, and he wanted Da'Monte guarding McIntosh. It's that simple.

Deleted member 236589

D
I think you are in the minority (especially objective people). Our problems within the team and our 4-5 team bid conference will make it HIGHLY doubtful.

They'll have to win more than they lose this season to be considered. You see that in this team?

This was a game that I saw as a potential win. They are 5-2 now after backing out Augustana.

You think they're going to win @UNLV or vs Missouri right now? They are most likely going to have three more losses prior to the new year.

If they lose to MD, MO and UNLV, they'll be 9-5 going into the last 16 games of conference play.. I don't see them going 8-8 to get them to 17-15. If they go 8-10 in conference, I'll be hugely surprised.

They'll have to win more than they lose this season to be considered. You see that in this team?

This was a game that I saw as a potential win. They are 5-2 now after backing out Augustana.

You think they're going to win @UNLV or vs Missouri right now? They are most likely going to have three more losses prior to the new year.

If they lose to MD, MO and UNLV, they'll be 9-5 going into the last 16 games of conference play.. I don't see them going 8-8 to get them to 17-15. If they go 8-10 in conference, I'll be hugely surprised.

I can see 9 maybe 10 more wins this season

Then the refs stole a possession from us with the phantom offensive foul on Black.

That was NOT a "phantom offensive foul on Black". It may have been ticky-tack, but Black was called for an illegal screen because he never came set. The call was on the nit-picky side because the contact created by Black was minimal. I have seen that treated as a "play on" no call many times.

It’s pretty easy to see why BU sat Smith. DMW was playing incredible defense, and TJL and Alstork were playing big also.

Tough, tough game to swallow. We led most of it.

Seriously though, we didn’t hit a 3 for probably the last 15 minutes of game clock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tell me how DW is playing great defense and Lindsey gets 22pts tonight...

Explain to me how that works because Lindsey hit a wide ope
- back doors dunk
- wide open three

Well this is a first year coach playing lots of freshman, so if you’re not ok going through growing pains right now, then it’s gonna be pretty rough for ya. Underwood is literally in rebuild mode. Fresh faces, teaching new schemes, creating a culture. Let’s not let a couple losses put us over the edge. Good grief

Agreed. And if that guy thinks the basketball rebuild is going to be as painful as the football rebuild, I think he's going to be surprised on the basketball end. Smith, Lucas, Ayo, Frazier, and Williams could be the deepest backcourt in the nation two seasons from now and may be the best outside of a Kentucky/Duke type that has NBA players at all spots.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
[YOUTUBE]kM8LJCHBFKA[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]rUWkoVcb_eQ[/YOUTUBE]
[youtube]ZDqsb54Y5YI[/youtube]
[youtube]hHpE1IxoaRk[/youtube]
[youtube]lIhsoswF_N8[/youtube]

Last edited:

purcy51

Nappanee, IN
That was NOT a "phantom offensive foul on Black". It may have been ticky-tack, but Black was called for an illegal screen because he never came set. The call was on the nit-picky side because the contact created by Black was minimal. I have seen that treated as a "play on" no call many times.
It seemed to me that Black got pushed by his defender thereby creating the contact.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

I'm with a lot of others, schocked by Smith's minutes. Thought he did well on the offensive end. If he wants to get a shot, he can get one. (Step back for example) I just can't find a way to justify 8 minutes. I don't care what anyone says on the defensive end, he wasn't making way worse mistakes than anyone else to justify 8 minutes. Hopefully he doesn't let this get to him, or i blame Underwood.

In regards to the rest of the game, Finke needs to step up and we need some other offensive factors from guys. Should've won that game