Pregame: Illinois at Purdue, Tuesday, January 17th, 6:00pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serious Late

Peoria via Denver via Ann Arbor via Albuquerque vi
Nah, I will feel however I want :thumb: Players don't perform like that everyday, so even if I have to watch it against us, I still won't care, that's a special outing. This is a lost season to me at this point, just watching for player development.

No one is attempting to prevent that. But I very strongly disagree with the opinion. :thumb:

CAHALL15

Central Illinois
Anybody think we play some zone in this game to pack it in around their bigs?

Usually after a loss I try to think of things we can change so that we can be be more competitive. Honestly, we had a ton of opportunities today, a random guy had the game of his life, and the defense actually wasn't horrible. If you told me we'd hold Maryland to 56 I'd say we win by 20. Unfortunately we don't run a very efficient offense, we will have to shoot our tails off to stay in this game and have a chance. The only thing I'm considering now is whether or not I should even tune in, I think even based on what I just said this is probably a 30 point blowout. ILL...

Anybody think we play some zone in this game to pack it in around their bigs?

Our zone defense is completely embarrassing. It results either in a layup or a wide open three. I hope we don't see it again unless it gets markedly better (and it won't).

I didn't understand implementing the zone. That is to stop the bigs underneath when they don't have the outside shooters... Good grief, they had 3 guys that could hit them all day long. Someone, please tell me the reasoning of going zone with Maryland.

I didn't understand implementing the zone. That is to stop the bigs underneath when they don't have the outside shooters... Good grief, they had 3 guys that could hit them all day long. Someone, please tell me the reasoning of going zone with Maryland.

Zone is also used to stop guards from getting to the basket via dribble penetration. Maryland killed us with that in College Park so that is probably the reason we tried it yesterday. It's also used as a change of pace to try and give the other team a different look.

whovous

Washington, DC
Probably, although we shouldn't. Purdue doesn't have many quick guards and they are one of the best 3 point shooting teams in the country.

Even the best shooting teams have off nights. I think that is our most viable strategy against Purdue... Pack in the defense and hope the nearly uncontested threes don't fall.

We almost certainly lose using my strategy, but if we try anything else, we can forget the "almost" before the "certainly."

Illini1221

Peru,IL
Purdue is going to be coming out with their pants on fire after losing a game they should've won against Iowa. I don't expect this to be close at all.

Even the best shooting teams have off nights. I think that is our most viable strategy against Purdue... Pack in the defense and hope the nearly uncontested threes don't fall.

We almost certainly lose using my strategy, but if we try anything else, we can forget the "almost" before the "certainly."

If we played good zone, I might agree. However, we seem to break down just as often playing zone as we do with man to man. We allow teams to get the ball at the FT line and then it's usually a layup from there. I do think your "pack it in" strategy would work, but if you watch our zone it's spread out too wide, especially on the wings. It's like we're trying to play zone but still guard the 3 point line.

I'm guessing we'll play both and try to mix it up on them as we do in most games.

I'm guessing we'll play both and try to mix it up on them as we do in most games.

I agree. We really don't do bad when it's a possession here and there after long series of man because the offense has to waste time calling a new play and adjusting to it.

However, I've said it multiple times, with our defensive issues, I wish we did a better job of using the shot clock as our friend. A 2-2-1 to take time off the clock when the other team brings it up. Or switch from man to zone mid possession. We're not gonna stop anybody regularly, so playing the shot clock game can help us.

However, I've said it multiple times, with our defensive issues, I wish we did a better job of using the shot clock as our friend. A 2-2-1 to take time off the clock when the other team brings it up. Or switch from man to zone mid possession. We're not gonna stop anybody regularly, so playing the shot clock game can help us.

When you can't even play basic defense well, the odds of being able to pull off either of those schemes successfully is pretty low.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Hack-a-Swanigan?

shaq2.jpg

This one is right in my backyard and I can't decide if I'm crazy enough to don my orange and blue and go. I fear total embarrassment.

When you can't even play basic defense well, the odds of being able to pull off either of those schemes successfully is pretty low.

Anybody can run a tempo 2-2-1. Slow teams do it all the time specifically to slow pace down. Force a couple reversals as you fall back and kill 6-8 shot clock seconds. The mid possession switch is difficult no doubt, but it can't be worse than our half court defense has shown to be over 20ish games.

Anybody can run a tempo 2-2-1. Slow teams do it all the time specifically to slow pace down. Force a couple reversals as you fall back and kill 6-8 shot clock seconds. The mid possession switch is difficult no doubt, but it can't be worse than our half court defense has shown to be over 20ish games.

I agree. An in your shirt full court press like WVU wouldn't suit our personnel well but a 3/4 court 2-2-1 or 1-2-1-1 would help us occasionally. What is there to lose. You gonna give up a layup or something?

No drinks, I just found this Sports Almanac in the dumpster and that's what it said the score was.

Status
Not open for further replies.