Pregame: Illinois at USF, Friday, September 15th, 6:00pm CT, ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

Admin
Illinois at USF (Raymond James Stadium, Tampa, FL)
Friday, September 15th
6:00pm CT
ESPN

Line: USF -15

:illinois:

Last edited:
Curious when the decision has to be made about having this game moved?

Dan

Admin
At this time no official word on any venue change. Stay tuned

1. I hope everyone involved with USF stays safe and gets through this storm.

2. I hope there's a game next week.

3. I hope we whup their butts.

Illiini

In the land of the Nittany Lion
I heard that the athletic dept has secured rooms for USF team if needed.

Let's hope the game gets played. I hope the folks in Florida weather the storm.

breadman

Herndon, VA
Just took a look at the projected path of Irma. It got pushed to the gulf side of the state, then going north directly over Tampa by Tuesday. So, we'll see.

Per Tampa paper, concern in shifting is limited practice time with a travel day added. USF operations are shuttered until Tuesday.

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
its really hard to imagine any college or pro games being played in any sport in Tampa next weekend.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
***secretly hoping the game is moved to Dallas***

IlliniRunIn07

Tampa, FL
Living in Tampa, I wouldn't be surprised either way if this game gets played. I'm still in the city and bunkering down for a rough night. I hope this game gets played, I've been looking forward to it for over a year.

Glory Days

Palmetto, FL
I'm a half hour south of Raymond James. The bad part of Irma is due here around 2AM Monday. The storm is so big that the back end will take the entire rest of Monday to clear Tampa. After that, we look at damage assessments, and I couldn't hazard a guess on the Friday night game even though I am looking at rain and wind out my window right now.

Why don't they just play the game in Champaign, and go to Tampa next year

If the game gets moved to Champaign will season ticket holders have to buy a ticket for this game or will this be treated as a home game included in the season ticket package?

JDHalfrack

Springfield, IL
Tampa mayor: 'We're about to get punched in the face'

Barring some sort of crazy unforeseen path change or loss of hurricane strength, I don't see how this game, or any game, gets played in the Tampa area this coming weekend.

At this point, I'm guessing it's a matter of three options:
1) the game gets outright cancelled (IMO, the most likely option)
2) the game gets postponed and moved to another date
3) the game Is played this weekend, but gets moved to Champaign/another area (IMO, the least likely option)

Then again, this is just my thoughts based on the stuff I've read about logistics, contractual agreements, safety, etc... But, there's a reason they don't pay me the big bucks to make these decisions :)

JDHalfrack

Springfield, IL
If the game gets moved to Champaign will season ticket holders have to buy a ticket for this game or will this be treated as a home game included in the season ticket package?

My hunch is that it will NOT be included, but season ticket holders would get first chance to buy tickets.

Ideally, if a move to Champaign does occur, they would use ticket sales as a sort of hurricane relief fund. Even if it wasn't 100% of sales, but something like 100% of all profits (after paying for game expenses, etc), that'd be a cool and classy move by all involved.

But, I'm just not sure the logistics of moving a game like this to Champaign is feasible.

If moved to Champaign I cant see there being much of a turnout on such short notice. In order to get butts in the seats I would let students in free and the season ticket holders in free. Those people who get in free will spend money in town/ at the stadium. I dont see them being able to sell over 20,000 tickets in a few days.

JDHalfrack

Springfield, IL
If moved to Champaign I cant see there being much of a turnout on such short notice. In order to get butts in the seats I would let students in free and the season ticket holders in free. Those people who get in free will spend money in town/ at the stadium. I dont see them being able to sell over 20,000 tickets in a few days.

That'd actually make sense as well.

Although, I have to be honest, I'm a season ticket holder and I already told my wife I'd be willing to buy tickets... but only up to $10 a ticket :) Of course, we don't ever spend money at the stadium, though.

Athletics Depts rely very heavily on game revenues. As much as we'll want to get butts in the seats, we have to cover expenses and USF has to cover travel expenses at a minimum.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH

It's complicated by the fact the contract with USF has both games playing in a stadium not under control by either university.

FT35

Naperville

The bigger issue is the contract that Illinois has to play a game at Soldier Field. In order to get out of playing Northwestern at Soldier Field they offered to play their best non-conference game there instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.