Pregame: Illinois vs BYU (United Center), Saturday, December 17th, 8:30pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's still so much time before this game I think I am going to know everything about BYU and every possible scenario for us playing at the UC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WestIllini

University of Iowa
I've always wondered what it would be like if DePaul had become a Big East power. Say they were a tournament team every year. A UC rivalry game with them would've been very cool imo.

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal with Do Not Contact Tag
I do agree with Second and Chalmers that a big problem is having too many set contracts/games already. Not just for us but for many other power 5 teams. Between rivalries, early season tourney's, conference vs conference battles, etc. their just isn't a lot of wiggle room for another tough game.

True. And really, the question almost becomes "Is it better to play no game at all?" I think at this point the answer is still "no" but man is it closer than I ever in my life thought it would be.

Last edited:

BlindLoyalty

FartNoiseMotivation
And it's likely to get worse before it gets better. I just checked. Best available tickets on the floor in the corner are still currently going for $175 each. This first inaugural Chicago Legends is being run by an outside agency. It seems that the Illinois DIA has given up control of this game for the near future. The tickets we used to get behind the bench or five rows up center court through the IFund for under $100 each are a thing of the past. We're still going this year, but we're sitting in the 1st balcony section. How full do you think the UC will be with those kind of prices for this product, even if it is for two games?

Groupon has Chicago Legends G-Pass tickets for all levels . Usually there are 20-30% off groupon codes each week to get the price even lower. Upper tank would probably be around $15 and 100 + 200 levels in the $50+ range, depending on the code.

Link

5,000 for the Northwestern game, 13,000 for the Illini game.

What's sad is that is a massive increase for us over last year, LOL.

You don't think the combo of Dayton/Northwestern (both midwestern teams) will be over 5,000? I was thinking more like 7,000 -8,000 and 11,000-12,000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are we talking actually bodies? 9,000 for the UI game is probably the ceiling. Tickets sold will probably be close to 15,000.

The weather forecast isn't looking good for Friday night and Saturday. I don't think there will be a ton of additional sales in the days leading up to the game or day of.

I'll guess 11,000 sold, and quite a few less actually through the door.

breadman

Herndon, VA
This might not be the right thread, but I'm going to ask anyway. Next week we play at Maryland. Does anybody know what sections are Illini sections? Thanks.

whovous

Washington, DC
This might not be the right thread, but I'm going to ask anyway. Next week we play at Maryland. Does anybody know what sections are Illini sections? Thanks.

It appears as though the only dedicated section is the one right behind the visitors bench. No seats are available within a million miles of that section. For that matter, no good seats are available at all. I've bought some very bad and very cheap seats in the hopes of moving down into better ones if the ushers don't do a lot of enforcing.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Looking at the updated KenPom rankings (BYU = 56, ILL = 68), the adjusted tempo rankings are intriguing.

If I am interpreting this correctly, it looks like Utah is one of the best teams at pushing their opponents to an uncomfortably fast tempo (#3), while Illinois creates somewhat of an opposite affect (#218). For a comparison, West Virginia is ranked #31 in adjusted tempo on KenPom, and that was a big struggle for Illinois.

breadman

Herndon, VA
It appears as though the only dedicated section is the one right behind the visitors bench. No seats are available within a million miles of that section. For that matter, no good seats are available at all. I've bought some very bad and very cheap seats in the hopes of moving down into better ones if the ushers don't do a lot of enforcing.

Those are looking like 100 - 120 dollar seats from what I can see.

In terms of percentage, Jalen Coleman-Lands and Michael Finke are currently the #5 and #6 shooters on the team from 3pt range, respectively.

Tracy Abrams is currently #4 in America in 3pt shooting at 64.1%. He has made more three pointers and is averaging more PPG than the three players ahead of him.

Malcolm Hill shot 39% from 3pt range as a sophomore and then regressed last season. He's experiencing the same kind of senior bounce Rayvonte Rice did a few years back. I don't know if he will continue to hit 43% from beyond the arc, but I don't think he'll drop much below 40%. He's getting good looks and shooting with supreme confidence.

I think we're all expecting some normalization. Even if Abrams shoots more like 35% the rest of the way, he's definitely become a dangerous weapon from the perimeter. If JCL and Finke can replicate their freshman performance shooting the ball, we will be one of the best shooting teams in the B1G. I really hope those guys--esp. JCL--snap out of their funk and start torching the nets. We should have a few games this year where three of our four top shooters are feeling it; in those games, we'll be very, very hard to beat.

Looking at the updated KenPom rankings (BYU = 56, ILL = 68), the adjusted tempo rankings are intriguing.

If I am interpreting this correctly, it looks like Utah is one of the best teams at pushing their opponents to an uncomfortably fast tempo (#3), while Illinois creates somewhat of an opposite affect (#218). For a comparison, West Virginia is ranked #31 in adjusted tempo on KenPom, and that was a big struggle for Illinois.

BYU has played Coppin State, Coastal Carolina, Valpo, Weber State, Utah Valley, and Utah State. That might have an affect on their adjusted tempo.

I'm more concerned with a team's defense than their adjusted tempo. BYU will be decent defensively but a lot it will depend on Mika.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
BYU has played Coppin State, Coastal Carolina, Valpo, Weber State, Utah Valley, and Utah State. That might have an affect on their adjusted tempo.

I'm more concerned with a team's defense than their adjusted tempo. BYU will be decent defensively but a lot it will depend on Mika.

Supposedly KenPom adjusts for the opponent, but this early in the year probably still makes that difficult.

Die hard Illini fan here....... I have lived in heart of BYU country past 20+ years......... BYU historically play fast, very up tempo......I have concerns whether we can play at the pace they will want to run at... That being said.. I have not watched BYU this year.

zpfled

Logan Square, Chicago
Was talking to my coworker who used to work for in BYU basketball program. He said they jack a bunch of threes...if they can make them, BYU wins. If they can't, Illinois rolls.

Fortunately the rigid UC rims may help us here.

Was talking to my coworker who used to work for in BYU basketball program. He said they jack a bunch of threes...if they can make them, BYU wins. If they can't, Illinois rolls.

Fortunately the rigid UC rims may help us here.

This is completely incorrect

Status
Not open for further replies.