Tim Beckman no longer a volunteer coach at UNC

According to my Facebook memories, it's been exactly one year since we fired beckman (and fellow alumni were hoping for Thomas too). What a turnaround we have made.

But still, how you have a credible hire you know and like in hand, sit down for an interview with Tim Beckman and say "I'm pushing all my chips into the middle for THIS GUY", it's never going to make sense. Yes, he got glowing reviews from Jim Tressel and Urban Meyer, yes his turnaround of Toledo was very impressive, yes, things might have been quite different if he had been able to bring Matt Campbell and his whole staff along. But....how can you have a conversation with that guy and hand him a seven figure check and put your career in his hands? I'll never understand.

This. This. This.

I thought the Beckman hire looked good on paper. But I wasn't in the room for the interview. I have no idea how that worked. How Thomas sat down with Beckman for an hour or two and said, "Yup. Here's my guy."

The opening press conference was rough. Then he had all sorts of trouble putting together a staff, with the one he did end up with being dysfunctional and divisive. Then we started hearing rumblings that maybe Matt Campbell was the real brains behind the operation at Toledo. (And if we fans were hearing that a couple games into the season, why couldn't Thomas have figured that out before the hire?) And then the Arizona State debacle, where ASU ran the same play over and over again and the Illini could never figure out who was supposed to be covering the flat. And then it became obvious that he lost the locker room among the upper classmen. And the team that was supposed to go bowling lost its last 9 games by an average of more than 3 touchdowns. We didn't find out until later that Beckman had also been reprimanded for his treatment of players during this first season.

How in the world do you bring a guy back after a first season like that? Especially when your buddy Pat Narduzzi just went 13-1 as the DC of Michigan St and is still waiting for a phone call offering a HC position?

Deleted member 3875

D
When Beckman's name first appeared, I was talking to an Ohio native in the know that said he had a terrible reputation with Ohio high school coaches. Can't change a tiger's stripes.