TV Shows

Status
Not open for further replies.

RecLeagueHero

R
I'm in the group who loves Parks and Rec. 30 Rock is very funny too.

Just finished a Netflix marathon of Parks and Rec. That show is awesome. Great character development. I tried watching 30 Rock but just couldn't get into it.

Other current series I love:

Sherlock
Justified
Helix
The Goldbergs
Modern Family
Grimm
Supernatural
American Horror Story
Walking Dead
Bones
Revolution
Almost Human

My daughter and I also get a kick out of Finding Bigfoot. I love how a show where they never find anything can go on season after season. She also enjoys Call of the Wildman and Urban Tarzan.

Soxfreak64

Bloomington
I love Grimm, and Helix looked intriguing. Is it any good?

Also LOVE Suits and the Newsroom. Anybody else?

RecLeagueHero

R

I like Helix, but I dig viral outbreak/apocalyptic/zombie type shows. I watch some weird stuff I guess.

A few older shows I liked...

Torchwood
Survivors (British Show)
Firefly

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™

I don't know squat about Suits, but that redhead is smokin'.

Read that Helix is good, have the first 5 episodes on the DVR, haven't watched yet. Anyone checked it out?

I second Burn Notice. Not a great show, but solid (mostly) entertainment. Sam Axe is the man. Heard there might be a spin off. If so, I'm in.

Where do you guys find the time to watch all these shows and still hang out on here as much as you do? It's mindboggling. I don't watch anything except movies, NFL, and Illini basketball games here at home, and when i go back to ILL to visit every July and November I watch my brother in laws previous months of recordings of Big Bang Theory and American Pickers. While I do find some of these shows interesting, I've still not worked my way through my complete Combat, Lucy, Dick Van Dyke Show, and Twilight Zone collections. :)

RecLeagueHero

R
Where do you guys find the time to watch all these shows and still hang out on here as much as you do? It's mindboggling. I don't watch anything except movies, NFL, and Illini basketball games here at home, and when i go back to ILL to visit every July and November I watch my brother in laws previous months of recordings of Big Bang Theory and American Pickers. While I do find some of these shows interesting, I've still not worked my way through my complete Combat, Lucy, Dick Van Dyke Show, and Twilight Zone collections. :)

I watch shows while I peruse Illini boards. Multi-tasking!

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
Almost Human

I'm finally caught up on this show and am enjoying it so far. It definitely has the best audio of any show on broadcast TV. Gives the subwoofer a workout.

DaytonIllini

D
My favorite shows to watch with my 1 y.o. son are College basketball, NFL football, and Mickey Mouse Club House. Miska mouska, Mickey Mouse!!!! The kid loves all three, and I hope to add baseball this spring. I would love it if he were a soccer fan too.

Read to him...a lot.

Leonardite

Terre Haute, IN
Really want to acquire all the seasons of Entourage as well. Been dying to see that show for a few years.

Buck Turgidson

Massachusetts
Anything in particular or just to hear dads voice a lot?

I think Dayton means to help them learn to love to read, by reading to them yourself. I absolutely agree with this. Also give them their own picture books, then simple toddler books, etc.

As far as what to read, can't go wrong with Dr. Seuss. Simple ones like "One Fish Two Fish", "Green Eggs and Ham", and "Hop on Pop" are a great starting point. Shel Silverstein has some good ones, a little quirky I think.

It almost doesn't matter what, they (and you) will quickly figure out what you like. Enjoy.

pizzaman

Northwoods of Wisconsin
Read to him...a lot.

My wife and I became first time grandparents in December. I bought, assembled and installed a kid's library shelving system in the nursery. Shelves need to be filled so lots of people gave books to fill the shelves. He's only 2 months old but his dad reads to the little pizzaboy every night. In response the little guy makes noise and poops. What can you do?

DaytonIllini

D
{Sorry for the digression on reading in the thread. Didn't mean to hijack an interesting thread. The point I was making is that people that read books are usually far smarter and far more successful than people that don't read books. Most of us enjoy both. A little guy though can learn a love of reading early if he associates reading with something positive like hanging out with Dad. I think the deluge of multimedia that kids are exposed to at an early age can create in them an impatience with reading and a difficulty with attention. Doesn't mean they should never watch TV or something draconian like that. Just that reading should be an integral part of their upbringing. Just my amateur opinion. Not trying to state a medical opinion.}

Back to topic, Mrs. Dayton and I watched a couple episodes of True Detective last night. Really good. Thanks for the recommendation!!

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
{Sorry for the digression on reading in the thread. Didn't mean to hijack an interesting thread. The point I was making is that people that read books are usually far smarter and far more successful than people that don't read books. Most of us enjoy both. A little guy though can learn a love of reading early if he associates reading with something positive like hanging out with Dad. I think the deluge of multimedia that kids are exposed to at an early age can create in them an impatience with reading and a difficulty with attention. Doesn't mean they should never watch TV or something draconian like that. Just that reading should be an integral part of their upbringing. Just my amateur opinion. Not trying to state a medical opinion.}

Back to topic, Mrs. Dayton and I watched a couple episodes of True Detective last night. Really good. Thanks for the recommendation!!

Agree w/everything. WRT to boys, wait as long as possible on video gaming. Then wait some more, lol. What a Pandora's Box gaming can be. Sometimes I feel that my sons (both HSers) are channeling Korean* marathon gamers. It's out of control.

Another good show was FX's Rescue Me, a dramedy that ran for many seasons. The camaraderie between the firemen is great. The show jumped the tracks too often, but is worth checking out.

With all due respect to Koreans, they are a lovely people.

I have a couple questions/comments, one on topic, the other regarding our secondary topic. ;)

On topic. I've not watched many of the shows all of you are listing but it seems to me that they are all linear. In other words they all are telling a story over a period of time and if you miss an episode you could miss something important. Are there any good shows out there that use the stand alone format? Where the individual episodes can stand on their own and still be entertaining? I think back to The Twilight Zone, Quantum Leap, Mayberry RFD, or even Married With Children.

Off topic. Reading (Perhaps we should start another thread?). I have a lot of youg-uns in the family as well as some friends with children of toddler age and I am frankly surprised at the lack of reading. Too often I see the kids glued to the TV, playing on a laptop, or even on their very own Ipad (the horror!). I read to all my nephews and nieces when I visit them, because I enjoy doing it and it's easy to see that they do as well. Occasionally I'll do a book/movie combo. For instance I'll read the book, Where The Wild Things Are, and then we'll watch the movie. When my daughters were in K/1st grade their school had a program in conjunction with Pizza Hut. Read, or have read to you, 5 books a week, and you get a coupon for a free personal size pizza. I tell you we had a family Pizza night every weekend for 2 years! We'd do 5 books the first Monday night when they came home with the form we had to fill out listing the books. I don't see this sort of reading incentives given out anymore, at least in my circle of kids. Anyone see this sort of incentivized program anywhere?

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
I have a couple questions/comments, one on topic, the other regarding our secondary topic. ;)

On topic. I've not watched many of the shows all of you are listing but it seems to me that they are all linear. In other words they all are telling a story over a period of time and if you miss an episode you could miss something important. Are there any good shows out there that use the stand alone format? Where the individual episodes can stand on their own and still be entertaining? I think back to The Twilight Zone, Quantum Leap, Mayberry RFD, or even Married With Children.

Off topic. Reading (Perhaps we should start another thread?). I have a lot of youg-uns in the family as well as some friends with children of toddler age and I am frankly surprised at the lack of reading. Too often I see the kids glued to the TV, playing on a laptop, or even on their very own Ipad (the horror!). I read to all my nephews and nieces when I visit them, because I enjoy doing it and it's easy to see that they do as well. Occasionally I'll do a book/movie combo. For instance I'll read the book, Where The Wild Things Are, and then we'll watch the movie. When my daughters were in K/1st grade their school had a program in conjunction with Pizza Hut. Read, or have read to you, 5 books a week, and you get a coupon for a free personal size pizza. I tell you we had a family Pizza night every weekend for 2 years! We'd do 5 books the first Monday night when they came home with the form we had to fill out listing the books. I don't see this sort of reading incentives given out anymore, at least in my circle of kids. Anyone see this sort of incentivized program anywhere?

Yes. Some (many?) public libraries run incentivized summer reading programs for children. Some run winter programs too. Lou Malnati's mini pizzas, yum!

Soxfreak64

Bloomington
I think they still run the Kane County Cougars reading program, For any of those who live in the area.

DaytonIllini

D

A lot of the old X-Files shows are available and are great. They tell a linear story threaded loosely over several seasons but generally each is also stand alone. A similar genre and story telling method is used in Fringe. The first season or two is good. I haven't watched beyond that though.

Thanks for the advice guys. My little guy loves pop up books now that he can go through the pages on his own even though he likes to rip out the popup things. He is lucky to have more books than I ever thought about having by 1. His maternal grandmother is an elementary school teacher, and she has hundreds of childrens books for him, plus the ones we already have. He really does enjoy reading already. There are childrens books in every single room in the house.

On top of reading he is in his second session of music class, took a session of swimming in late fall (we opted not to do another one of winter because of the cold), and every saturday morning he goes to a little kids gym where he can run, jump and play. They worked on wheelbarrel walks this morning.

Mickey mouse is a fun interactive show that has singing, and shows MM doing different activities. For instance, my son has a tool bench, MM made a goof bot in one of the episodes and used a hammmer to do it. My son now hammers the plastic nails on his work bench more than he did before when I would show him how to do it. It didn't interest him until he saw it on the show before.

He does get media time, but I wouldn't say more than 1 to maybe 2 hours. He has two games on the Ipad he loves. One is Peek a Boo which is a game where a character hides behind different objects, and you touch those objects when the character is found. The other one is a bubbles game where you pop the bubbles. He gets excited and pops them with both hands.

When he watches basketball he lets me know whats going on by holding his hand up and snapping his wrist in a shooting motion. He was doing this before he was one. He loves to play in his ball pit that has a rim along with slamming on his little tikes basket. Ball was his first word, and he tries to say basketball now.

He also enjoys coloring(this is probably number 1 right now), building with blocks(and knocking them down, boys right?), dancing/listening to music and playing with his other countless toys. Charles already says please and thank you along with signing "more" when he needs some more blueberries, cereal, etc.

He is a very busy little boy.

Last edited:

Buck Turgidson

Massachusetts
Great stuff, zoggle

On the TV shows - Breaking Bad was fantastic. Has to be one of the best.

Mad Men is also terrific, but when will 2013 season come to Netflix?

Some mentioned Modern Family

For us old timers, I can't think of a show I loved more than Twilight Zone (series was just ending when I started watching TV). They used to have a Thanksgiving Day marathon in LA in the 80s, and I bought a VCR (I couldn't afford) just to tape it.

M*A*S*H was great, especially at the beginning. Also All in the Family (they were on one after the other)

Twin Peaks - fantastic first season / great finale

Finally have to say I'm hooked on the reality shows - Survivor is my favorite, also like Top Chef

RecLeagueHero

R
Great stuff, zoggle

On the TV shows - Breaking Bad was fantastic. Has to be one of the best.

Some mentioned Modern Family

For us old timers, I can't think of a show I loved more than Twilight Zone (series was just ending when I started watching TV). They used to have a Thanksgiving Day marathon in LA in the 80s, and I bought a VCR (I couldn't afford) just to tape it.

M*A*S*H was great, especially at the beginning. Also All in the Family (they were on one after the other)

Twin Peaks - fantastic first season / great finale

Finally have to say I'm hooked on the reality shows - Survivor is my favorite, also like Top Chef

Never been a Survivor guy but I have enjoyed Top Chef. Hated this past season though.

The general trend I've seen is that the newest seasons are made available for stream approximately 2 weeks-2 months prior to the upcoming season. Season 7 of Mad Men (the first half of it anyway) comes to AMC on April 13th. So I would venture to guess season 6 will be available to stream anywhere from March 1-April 1.

My theory on this that is a tactic that Netflix uses in collaboration with AMC and other networks (FX comes to mind). People generally get caught up to the latest season available for stream and Netflix then makes the latest season available. Viewers binge on the entire season just in time to keep up with the show on cable. Netflix, the TV stations, and the viewers (to a slightly lesser degree) all win.

Source: I'm somewhat of a Netflix guru.

What, no Downton Abbey mentions?

Currently never miss:
True Detective
Grimm
Boardwalk
Person of Interest
GoT
Sherlock BBC (actually, any Masterpiece)

Northern Exposure is probably my all time favorite.

Buck Turgidson

Massachusetts
The general trend I've seen is that the newest seasons are made available for stream approximately 2 weeks-2 months prior to the upcoming season. Season 7 of Mad Men (the first half of it anyway) comes to AMC on April 13th. So I would venture to guess season 6 will be available to stream anywhere from March 1-April 1.

Source: I'm somewhat of a Netflix guru.

U da man!

Status
Not open for further replies.