Wake Forest 80, Illinois 73 POSTGAME

Illini_1979

Oregon
Two horrific calls (and lots of bad ones). I certainly wish we pulled out a win in this "learning experience" but I think this game does us good in the long run:

1. Understand the need to alter play to the refs
2. AJ needs to start
3. Need the us against the world mentality on the road

Based on his performance this year AJ does probably deserve to start. But some players are better coming off the bench so I would be cautious about starting him. I think that the platooning scheme BU is using where the second wave comes in the game after about 4 minutes works pretty well.

Don’t understand how Williams is not getting more tick. Honestly the starting lineup should be mostly freshman with Funke and Aj. Other guys off bench
Alstork came out hot. we need to get playmakers in there. TFs defense I thought was good. Damontes baseline putback was beautiful. MS got tangled in the trees couple times. Nice to see 3s drop a little better, but team seemed hesitant at the end.

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk

Illini_1979

Oregon
I watched the longer replay a few times. Leron didn't do anything malicious. You see he's making a straight line towards the basket from midcourt while the Wake player does a spin and turn right into him. Not a dirty play at all IMO.

Agree. If it was anybody but Leron we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
MKBPUo9.gif

We are too small not to start Black and Finke. I do think AJ should start over Alstork. Mark Smith is worth starting for at least the next couple games. I’m not sure who we can start at point right now that will better than what we are doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alstork is already dealing with confidence issues. I fear moving him to the bench will just make it worse.

I Bomb

Stylin' and Profilin'
Despite all of it, if KN could have possibly made a basket rather than shoving the ball off the defender's stomach maybe (just maybe) we could have pulled it out. But, lots of other opportunities lost too.

A lot of excuses, none valid. We are not even close to a good basketball team. AJ is the only guy deserving any praise. Future is bright with DW and MS but not seeing any other positives for this season

FeelTheUnderwood.

I know Underwood isn't Huggins or Martin, but the one thing I was hoping for that I didn't see what that suffocating WVU press toward the end of the game (if anyone watched WVU vs. Mizzou on Sunday that's exactly what I mean).

When we pulled within 3 with 2 minutes to go it seemed like Wake was a bit rattled -- but we backed off on the pressure and tried to play straight up. Get a turnover there and then who knows.

Devils advocate -- we played tight pressure most of the first half and it turned into a TON of fouls. So who knows. This is why I'm not a head coach.

Really need a 5th year transfer next year. Unfortunately I think much of our success this year rides on Finke/Leron. I think we're gonna get destroyed by teams with quality big men. Our young guards should be fun to watch though.

I agree with the assessment concerning the big men. Lack of depth will be a problem.

schnaurt

Phoenix, AZ
Yeah, and we were picked 12th out of 14 in the Big Preseason poll

Oh yes, we were on the road too.

What's your point?

Just TC being TC. He is simply “just pointing out a fact”. Go back to your clever posts from a few years back. They were much better. The recent pessimistic factual statements are just not you. You are better than that.

Alstork is already dealing with confidence issues. I fear moving him to the bench will just make it worse.
I really dont think starting lineup matters...AJ has shown that. we will almost always lose when we shoot 39% against 51% by opponents. Our D broke down in 2d half.

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk

We are too small not to start Black and Finke. I do think AJ should start over Alstork. Mark Smith is worth starting for at least the next couple games. I’m not sure who we can start at point right now that will better than what we are doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know everyone is high on TJL but I've said this before

Smith - PG
Alstork (would rather have Williams)
AJ
Black
Finke

If you all are true basketball observers Smith moves the ball more effective when he's at the point also that hand off on the backend gets Smith going to the basket or looking for the jumper.....

Alstork and Williams can defend the point if that's why u are playing TJL...

Smith is a true PG/floor general/born and bread but he is playing very tentative and looks like he's trying to stay in the game but is not being effective

Don’t understand how Williams is not getting more tick. Honestly the starting lineup should be mostly freshman with Funke and Aj. Other guys off bench

NW game I would go with

Williams, Smith, Jordan, Nichols, Black

Finke, Lucas, Alstork, Frazier

Talent starts, if we get behind, elder "even keeled" right the ship, if we are ahead, "even keeled" elder players build on lead?