Fighting Illini Forums

Fighting Illini Forums (https://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forums/index.php)
-   Fighting Illini Basketball (https://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Michigan 79, Illinois 69 POSTGAME (https://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=24234)

Dan Jan 6, 2018 12:57 PM

Michigan 79, Illinois 69 POSTGAME

Verified Insider Jan 6, 2018 01:00 PM

Man, we got dealt a really, really crappy hand with this early B1G schedule.

But we haven't done ourselves any favors. We are absolutely dreadful from 3, we make critically stupid turnovers, and we can't piece together a full game to save our life.

Long season ahead. Just gotta hope for improvement.

StateFarmCenter Jan 6, 2018 01:00 PM

I blame John Groce

Ol Dirty Gamer Jan 6, 2018 01:01 PM

Start TJL: Illinois loses by 10.

Start TF: Illinois loses by 10.

Hmm...

TCTORNADO Jan 6, 2018 01:01 PM

Smith's 2 TO's set the table for the 2nd half tu*d.

Verified Insider Jan 6, 2018 01:01 PM

By the way.....Smith and Frazier combine for 11 turnovers and 1 assist. Not a single starter in double figures. Finke with one whole rebound.

GoIllini23 Jan 6, 2018 01:01 PM

Need shooters, or at least find the confidence to shoot

I Bomb Jan 6, 2018 01:02 PM

If anything, I didn't expect Underwood's offense to look so labored just to manufacture 2 points here and there. Michigan's junk pass / bomb a 3 offense ends up winning easily.

Megamind Jan 6, 2018 01:02 PM

I’m sorry but AJ doesn’t possess the athleticism to play in the big ten. Finke and Smith are a mess and Tejon isn’t looking much better. The mental mistakes by this team are infuriating. Hopefully Undwood can work a miracle in the offseason, because they are all back.

Rad Jan 6, 2018 01:02 PM

Disappointing as a fan but once again Vegas gets it right. Look forward to the days when we are favored......it will happen!

Illini4life04 Jan 6, 2018 01:03 PM

January 6th and our tournament hopes are already gone, not like I really expected to make it this year:(:(

TeamWilliams Jan 6, 2018 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KennyV (Post 1364234)
We’ve got a 10 man rotation full of glaring holes.

Our upperclassmen except Black aren't BIG level players. That's on Groce.

Finke, AJ have little to offer when BIG schedule starts.

At least Alstork plays D.

We have no senior leadership. They just sit on the bench and sulk instead of rallying their guys

Verified Insider Jan 6, 2018 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoIllini23 (Post 1364240)
Need shooters, or at least find the confidence to shoot

As an example, Aaron Jordan is averaging 3 points/game over his last 4 games, and is shooting 20% from three.

We desperately need people who can shoot, because we don't have very many of them right now.

FinalFour88 Jan 6, 2018 01:03 PM

Whenever I see Smith now, all I can think about is him telling Ayo that "we're going to be the best back court in the nation."

carmelillini Jan 6, 2018 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FinalFour88 (Post 1364250)
Whenever I see Smith now, all I can think about is him telling Ayo that "we're going to be the best back court in the nation."

Betterr get some bigs or it will be all for naught.

FeelTheLovie Jan 6, 2018 01:04 PM

Greg might start over finke when it’s all said and done. Love his effort.

TCTORNADO Jan 6, 2018 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megamind (Post 1364243)
Iím sorry but AJ doesnít possess the athleticism to play in the big ten. Finke and Smith are a mess and Tejon isnít looking much better. The mental mistakes by this team are infuriating. Hopefully Undwood can work a miracle in the offseason, because they are all back.

This is not acceptable on this board.:D

BillyBob1 Jan 6, 2018 01:04 PM

Kipper scored, but gave up a bunch of points on defense.

OrangeNBrood Jan 6, 2018 01:04 PM

We got a lot of potential for improvement. Part of it is just a few guys breaking out of shooting slumps. What was nice about the first half was that multiple guys showed up to play well at the same time. Rim protection early on was better than in any game so far with Ebo Debo and Monte Ontay swatting multiple shots. We gonna be good. Just gotta swallow this bitterness for the time-being - like the pain of exercise before you get to have random girls rubbing your abs at the pool, grocery store, or retirement home. Anybody else get these odd "meet older women" ads pop up when they use Loyalty? Oh, my bad. Lost focus.

IlliniMed Jan 6, 2018 01:05 PM

I hope BU adjusts what he asks this team to do and seriously puts a muzzle on some players shooting 3. A 3 from a poor shooter is a TO in my eyes. If its not AJ anywhere, finke/smith from teh corner, or black.... move the ball and try to get into the paint

Verified Insider Jan 6, 2018 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KennyV (Post 1364245)
+1. Just hoping for improvement the rest of the year. But too many holes to make a serious run this year. Team will get better but it will take some time. Ayo will really help but wow do we need some solid bigs soon.

On the plus side, Greg Ebo is improving significantly. That will help us.

But yeah......next year will depend upon what kind of upgrade we get in the front court. I expect that much of the boneheaded play by the freshmen will lessen as they become sophomores. I expect that the young guys will improve naturally over time. But you can't expect kids to grow several inches or suddenly become legit front court players. We are going to need to add that to the roster.

gibb52 Jan 6, 2018 01:05 PM

Just dreadful execution in the 2nd half. Bushel basket full of mistakes, turnovers poor def rotations.

Good to see Ebo with some solid play. He's getting better bit by bit.

Kipper with a solid game.

Just about everyone else? Not so much.

Ol Dirty Gamer Jan 6, 2018 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyIdub (Post 1364246)
Start TJL: Illinois starts 1-19

Start TF: Illinois up by 3 at the half

A loss is a loss.

PlayAZ Jan 6, 2018 01:05 PM

Underclassman will be outstanding down the line for us...ALL of them, minus young mistakes obviously...this game, we didn't have any upperclassman playing. Not sure we necessarily need a 5th yr transfer B1G actually with EBO, this kid will only get better. I would try to grab a late bloomer big somewhere if a player shows up?

The small lineup that gave 2 layups on switches to Wagner is BU fault.
The final lineup was I give up BU fault.

This team will be scary good with experience and talent next year and another or two, this year is learning who will be the go to futures and who may or may not even leave the bench or be on it I am afraid.

Rad Jan 6, 2018 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeNBrood (Post 1364258)
We got a lot of potential for improvement. Part of it is just a few guys breaking out of shooting slumps. What was nice about the first half was that multiple guys showed up to play well at the same time. Rim protection early on was better than in any game so far with Ebo Debi and Monte Ontay swatting multiple shots. We gonna be good. Just gotta swallow this bitterness for the time-being - like the pain of exercise before you get to have random girls rubbing your abs at the pool, grocery store, or retirement home. Anybody else get these odd "meet older women" ads pop up when they use Loyalty? Oh, my bad. Lost focus.

LMAO