Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Fighting Illini Basketball Scholarship Grid 2017-2018

Old Jun 25, 2017, 05:15 PM   #26
Adnarel
Banned
The first thing I did was check to make sure you remembered "Mildcats."

Was not disappointed. Top-notch work, as usual.
Adnarel is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2017, 02:32 PM   #27
rbachhuber
aka Flash Gordon, earthling
Location: Planet Earth, when not battling Ming the Merciless on Mongo (or sometimes Mars)
Added an offer to 2019 C Drew Timme from Richardson TX.

Attached Thumbnails (click for larger image)
(213.6 KB, 4456 views)

rbachhuber is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:14 PM   #28
Captain Bubbles
The best name on the grid: Paul "Dip" Schmidt. I laughed hard for a solid five minutes. Nicely done.

Old Jun 28, 2017, 06:15 AM   #29
rbachhuber
Location: Planet Earth, when not battling Ming the Merciless on Mongo (or sometimes Mars)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bubbles View Post
The best name on the grid: Paul "Dip" Schmidt. I laughed hard for a solid five minutes. Nicely done.
Chose "Dip" over "Pizza."
Old Jul 1, 2017, 04:29 PM   #30
bigillinfan11
Brandon Johns to Michigan

bigillinfan11 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2017, 08:49 PM   #31
rbachhuber
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigillinfan11 View Post
Brandon Johns to Michigan
(213.7 KB, 3726 views)

Old Jul 2, 2017, 09:35 AM   #32
Calvin
rbachhuber, thanks for taking on the scholarship grid --really enjoy having it for reference, especially keeping track of offers and where prospects are going.

As for the walk-on transfer question, I think the fear that underlies the rule, is that treating one class of athletes one way (walk-ons), and another class another way (scholarship athletes) could be problematic in the case of a lawsuit. By treating them the same, it's a stronger legal position.

Poaching players is also an issue, though, as the NCAA hates anything that looks like a free market for talent.

There's also a debate because of how it affects mid-majors and high majors that goes something like this:
Mid major has a player that develops into a legit high major player, then loses the player to this rule. High major fixes a roster hole with player. Mid major is no longer competitive without it's star. Mid majors will slow down academic progress of players for fear of consequences to coach i.e. creates a conflict of interest.

"Another mid-major head coach, who lost one of his best players to a BCS school this past offseason, told ESPN he would be "slowing down the graduating process" for his players in order to ensure that he doesn't lose another to the high-major ranks."
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...ege-basketball

I found it interesting that coach K was one who wants to 'fix' the rule. I wouldn't surprise me Duke doesn't use fifth year guys, and given how well they recruit, don't want high major rosters to have this option. Anyway, as usual, the rule will undoubtedly come down to money and influence. I personally am all for letting the athletes decide, but the powers that be, at least some of them, feel differently.

Last edited by Dan; Jul 2, 2017 at 10:11 AM.
Calvin is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2017, 05:26 PM   #33
rbachhuber
2018 F Darius Bazley to Syracuse.

(213.5 KB, 3277 views)

Old Jul 3, 2017, 11:27 PM   #34
bigillinfan11
I just now noticed we don't have nassir little or landers nolley with offers for 2018. I know for sure little has one and nolley has an offer according to scout database.

Old Jul 4, 2017, 08:22 AM   #35
rbachhuber
Quote:
I just now noticed we don't have nassir little or landers nolley with offers for 2018. I know for sure little has one and nolley has an offer according to scout database.
hmmm . . . haven't seen any discussion on the board of either of those names.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 11:50 AM   #36
bigillinfan11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbachhuber View Post
hmmm . . . haven't seen any discussion on the board of either of those names.
I know little has one since he reported it on twitter awhile ago. Nolley I'm
not sure about. Probably no discussion since it was so hard to figure out all the offers and who we were involved for awhile.

Old Jul 4, 2017, 02:58 PM   #37
Dakota Orange
Quote:
I know little has one since he reported it on twitter awhile ago. Nolley I'm
not sure about. Probably no discussion since it was so hard to figure out all the offers and who we were involved for awhile.
As I'm sipping a margarita here on my yacht I had my errand boy run a search and he found that Little tweeted on May 1 that he received an Illini offer. I hadn't seen much about it or don't remember
Dakota Orange is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2017, 05:15 PM   #38
rbachhuber
Quote:
OK, I added Little and Nolley. Little is a 2018 SF from Orlando. Lolley is also a 2018 SF and currently plays in Georgia. Based on what I read, Lolley started his high school career at Curie HS in Chicago.

(214.5 KB, 2670 views)

Old Jul 6, 2017, 09:35 AM   #39
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Trevion Williams to Purdue
WesterveltVictoryCigar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:25 AM   #40
KnoxIllini2
Per Coach Underwood in the interview with Tate, Vesel has all of his paperwork in so he is now signed. Now the wait for August continues.
KnoxIllini2 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:04 AM   #41
rbachhuber
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
Trevion Williams to Purdue
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxIllini2 View Post
Per Coach Underwood in the interview with Tate, Vesel has all of his paperwork in so he is now signed. Now the wait for August continues.
(214.7 KB, 2567 views)

Old Jul 6, 2017, 01:29 PM   #42
Ga65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin View Post

There's also a debate because of how it affects mid-majors and high majors that goes something like this:
Mid major has a player that develops into a legit high major player, then loses the player to this rule. High major fixes a roster hole with player. Mid major is no longer competitive without it's star. Mid majors will slow down academic progress of players for fear of consequences to coach i.e. creates a conflict of interest.

"Another mid-major head coach, who lost one of his best players to a BCS school this past offseason, told ESPN he would be "slowing down the graduating process" for his players in order to ensure that he doesn't lose another to the high-major ranks."
BU said in his interview with Tate that stopping academic progress to prevent transfer was being done. Do not like this as this is not supporting the student who should take priority over the program. The student and his end goals should always be the priority. First time I have been negative on BU.
Ga65 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2017, 01:47 PM   #43
bombayIllini
How can anyone Prevent (slow) a kid from taking courses and chart his/her own progress?
bombayIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2017, 02:15 PM   #44
CoalCity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga65 View Post
BU said in his interview with Tate that stopping academic progress to prevent transfer was being done. Do not like this as this is not supporting the student who should take priority over the program. The student and his end goals should always be the priority. First time I have been negative on BU.
I think he said this as a matter of fact, not that HE was doing it or supported the practice. He appears to be not a big fan of the 5th year transfer concept as a whole because it hurts mid majors.

Might be worth a second listen.
CoalCity is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2017, 02:30 PM   #45
ChazzReinhold
Mom! The Meatloaf!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga65 View Post
He was stating a hypothetical situation that may occur as a reason he doesn't like the 5th year rule, not that this was a practice he utilizes.
ChazzReinhold is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2017, 04:50 PM   #46
afpharmdawg
While a graduate transfer can hurt a mid major school, a person who redshirted whether from injury or coaches decision should not be penalized from gaining exposure at a P5 school. That person graduated and fulfilled their academic requirements at said mid major. It would be nice if they would stay at their original school for loyalty sake, but getting a better opportunity is not a bad thing. Who would pass up a better opportunity if it came up? I would not, but I would give my original place a chance first.

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." Calvin Coolridge
afpharmdawg is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2017, 05:24 PM   #47
Thor015
BWood said multiple times he doesn't like the 5th year transfer rule
Thor015 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2017, 09:23 PM   #48
rbachhuber
Added Geoff Alexander to the basketball staff as Assistant to Coach Brad Underwood.

(215.3 KB, 2025 views)

Old Jul 11, 2017, 08:39 PM   #49
rbachhuber
2017 PG Alonzo Verge to Moberly Community College.

(215.5 KB, 1500 views)

Old Jul 14, 2017, 07:47 PM   #50
rbachhuber
Added two more offers to the class of 2018: SF Jericole Hellems and PF Tamell Pearson.

(215.1 KB, 6552 views)