Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (January-February 2018)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old Jan 10, 2018, 09:05 AM   #226
WhiteRhino
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bomb View Post
We're getting 10/5 from Finke right now.

Krupalija and Archibald had their best numbers as seniors - big surprise. However, they both contributed 14+mpg even as freshmen. My point was, we don't need a saving grace of a "big man" recruit; what we need is players who can contribute immediately, as those two did.
I seem to remember fans complaining about Archibald being a stiff his first year or two. People were amazed by how much he developed by his Senior year.
WhiteRhino is offline
Old Jan 10, 2018, 09:22 AM   #227
I Bomb
Stylin' and Profilin'
I Bomb's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRhino View Post
I seem to remember fans complaining about Archibald being a stiff his first year or two. People were amazed by how much he developed by his Senior year.
He still played 14mpg. Maybe Eboigbodin is now that guy; it's hard to tell. But, I'm not really talking about what anybody became in their senior year, only that we could use big guys who play meaningful minutes their freshman year - right away. And, not have to be all-B1G from the start, which Archibald wasn't his freshman year nor was he his senior year. Although, yes, he did get better.
I Bomb is offline
Old Jan 10, 2018, 09:24 AM   #228
I Bomb
Stylin' and Profilin'
I Bomb's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfingIllini View Post
Actually - Finke's stats in Big Ten play are:
4.75 points per game
2.75 rebounds per game
0-9 for 3-pt field goals

Not sure anybody is going to argue he plays great defense either.
It was really just throwing Finke a bone, rather than coming right out and saying, as a junior, he's not even Archibald's caliber when Archibald was a freshman. I'm also not sure how Arch's stats mapped out over conf. vs. non-conf his senior year, but it's not really the point anyway.
I Bomb is offline
Old Jan 10, 2018, 09:32 AM   #229
Illini Beer 4 All
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bomb View Post
It was really just throwing Finke a bone, rather than coming right out and saying, as a junior, he's not even Archibald's caliber when Archibald was a freshman. I'm also not sure how Arch's stats mapped out over conf. vs. non-conf his senior year, but it's not really the point anyway.
Arch was a strong post presence all year, he just was a merciless fouling machine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Illini Beer 4 All is offline
Old Jan 10, 2018, 09:35 AM   #230
haasi
haasi's Avatar
Location: New York
Damir was great. Rebounding, defense, hustle, good size and reasonable athleticism, some offensive ability. If we added two senior Damirs on this team, wed be a completely different team. We had a whole array of really solid bigs back then. Damir, Arch, Chukwudebe, Johnson. Invaluable to have a stable of solid and dependable big guys who can get the job done.
haasi is offline
Old Jan 10, 2018, 09:38 AM   #231
PlayAZ
Wouldn't mind seeing us offering this kid...Marlon Taylor Panola JC. St Bonaventure/Bradley/Fresno St. some notables that originally recruited him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUTJDM8QE2I

Claims a 50" vertical, can shoot the three and looks to have a big time motor?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT3MSVxCGkQ
PlayAZ is offline
Old Jan 10, 2018, 09:58 AM   #232
coryfor3
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bomb View Post
It was really just throwing Finke a bone, rather than coming right out and saying, as a junior, he's not even Archibald's caliber when Archibald was a freshman. I'm also not sure how Arch's stats mapped out over conf. vs. non-conf his senior year, but it's not really the point anyway.
Whoa whoa whoa...I love Arch. But let's not kid ourselves into what he was as a freshman. He improved greatly over 4 years. He started out his freshman year impressively but soon looked awkward and tentative and confused. He looked like a freshman. His footwork improved tremendously.
So to say that Arch as a freshman is better than Finke as a junior is just not accurate. Besides, they are very different kinds of players.
coryfor3 is offline
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:20 AM   #233
GortTheRobot
Location: North Bethesda, Maryland
Even though we all like Finke, if he's not scoring, he's of little use on the floor. Right now, I believe Ebo can get as many rebounds, and he simply cannot be worse on defense. Finke's upside was as a mismatch 5 that could draw his man out and/or nail the three.

I am in favor of the stop-gap of a 5th year big who will then leave a vacancy for (hopefully) Okoro, or any other big that makes a jump. Ebo and a 5th year would probably be enough to make a significant difference next year...if the 5th is any good...at least at rim protection.

Last edited by GortTheRobot; Jan 10, 2018 at 10:23 AM.
GortTheRobot is offline
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:01 AM   #234
mattcoldagelli
mattcoldagelli's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GortTheRobot View Post
Even though we all like Finke, if he's not scoring, he's of little use on the floor. Right now, I believe Ebo can get as many rebounds, and he simply cannot be worse on defense. Finke's upside was as a mismatch 5 that could draw his man out and/or nail the three.

I am in favor of the stop-gap of a 5th year big who will then leave a vacancy for (hopefully) Okoro, or any other big that makes a jump. Ebo and a 5th year would probably be enough to make a significant difference next year...if the 5th is any good...at least at rim protection.
This is all correct.

__________________
"Ron Matt Swanson Coldagelli - You are the funny version of GroundHogday." - krupalija chukwudebe

@mattcoldagelli

mattcoldagelli is offline
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:20 AM   #235
IlliniFace
Location: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniBrave75 View Post
UIHoopsRecruits‏ @UIHoopsRecruits 3h3 hours ago
UIHoopsRecruits Retweeted Rivals.com

Bossi says EJ Liddell poised to make one of the biggest rankings jumps in 2019; also mentions new offer Lester Quinones & Jaemyn Brakefield

Rivals.com‏Verified account @Rivals 5h5 hours ago

BOSSI'S BEST: This week, @ebosshoops focuses on HS sophomores & juniors whose stock is rising rapidly: http://rvls.co/Best0103
Not sure what he was before this most recent update (thought it was in the 90s) but he's at #42 now. Huge jump as expected.
IlliniFace is offline
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:39 AM   #236
Greensboro
Quote:
Originally Posted by coryfor3 View Post
Whoa whoa whoa...I love Arch. But let's not kid ourselves into what he was as a freshman. He improved greatly over 4 years.
this, there is a difference between a big that is ready to play as a freshman & a freshman big who plays a lot because you have no other choice. If we don't add a freshman big this year, then a freshman big or likely 2 will be playing a lot in 2019. Egwu, Morgan, Colbert, even Leonard all played more minutes than they were ready for as a freshman, but it was as at least as a limited backup. In 2019 we have Greg, Matic, and Kipper that can even pretend to be bigs. Without a big in 2018, we have to get a couple Okoro/Liddell level bigs in 2019. A Grad transfer just kicks the can down the road to next year, we may have to do that, but it should be plan B
Greensboro is offline
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:43 AM   #237
Joel Goodson
Joel Goodson's Avatar
Location: Elmhurst
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFace View Post
Not sure what he was before this most recent update (thought it was in the 90s) but he's at #42 now. Huge jump as expected.
Much more accurate assessment, IMO. He'll have the opportunity to move even further up during AAU season.
Joel Goodson is offline
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:55 AM   #238
Dan
Admin
Dan's Avatar
Location: Champaign, IL
NEW & UPDATED 2019 #Rivals150 Rankings
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals....-big-decisions
https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals150/2019

4. Anthony
10. Watford
13. Lecque
32. Stewart
33. Igiehon
34. Okoro
38. Cockburn
42. Liddell
50. Hall
51. Carton
54. Timme
74. McKinney
77. Massoud
81. Quinones
82. Whitney
92. Wong
112. Days

https://twitter.com/UIHoopsRecruits/...48579204288512
Dan is offline
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:25 PM   #239
jrichisamazing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
NEW & UPDATED 2019 #Rivals150 Rankings
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals....-big-decisions
https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals150/2019

4. Anthony
10. Watford
13. Lecque
32. Stewart
33. Igiehon
34. Okoro
38. Cockburn
42. Liddell
50. Hall
51. Carton
54. Timme
74. McKinney
77. Massoud
81. Quinones
82. Whitney
92. Wong
112. Days

https://twitter.com/UIHoopsRecruits/...48579204288512
The big jump for Liddell just proves what many of us already said. By July or August we will be fighting off the whole country for Liddell and Okoro. This board is going to go crazy during the ups and downs of these 2 recruitments, and I'm going to love every minute of it.

Going on a late season run is so important this year. We need some momentum in the program to help fight off the blue bloods and Cuonzo.

__________________
jrichisamazing is offline
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:56 PM   #240
Illiniguy13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrichisamazing View Post
The big jump for Liddell just proves what many of us already said. By July or August we will be fighting off the whole country for Liddell and Okoro. This board is going to go crazy during the ups and downs of these 2 recruitments, and I'm going to love every minute of it.

Going on a late season run is so important this year. We need some momentum in the program to help fight off the blue bloods and Cuonzo.
Yessir. Gonna be a wild ride.
Illiniguy13 is offline
Old Jan 10, 2018, 01:21 PM   #241
tyrannosaurus scorus
Drop 60 pts in a game -> drop 4 spots in the rankings. Makes perfect sense.
tyrannosaurus scorus is offline
Old Jan 10, 2018, 01:48 PM   #242
Oldtoysrock
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayAZ View Post
Wouldn't mind seeing us offering this kid...Marlon Taylor Panola JC. St Bonaventure/Bradley/Fresno St. some notables that originally recruited him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUTJDM8QE2I

Claims a 50" vertical, can shoot the three and looks to have a big time motor?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT3MSVxCGkQ


Sign him up!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Oldtoysrock is offline
Old Jan 10, 2018, 02:54 PM   #243
PNWIllini
Location: PNW
Not directly Illini related, but fun to take note of anyway is Missouri just lost one of the guys that Cuonzo Martin poached from the University of Washington when Porter quit after Romar was fired.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...issouri-tigers

Looks like he's moving on to the latest bandwagon that'll have him.
PNWIllini is offline
Old Jan 10, 2018, 03:21 PM   #244
Illini Beer 4 All
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWIllini View Post
Not directly Illini related, but fun to take note of anyway is Missouri just lost one of the guys that Cuonzo Martin poached from the University of Washington when Porter quit after Romar was fired.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...issouri-tigers

Looks like he's moving on to the latest bandwagon that'll have him.
He's from North Carolina. That's where I expected him to go in the first place.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Illini Beer 4 All is offline
Old Jan 10, 2018, 04:09 PM   #245
EthanM
ESPN saying Brian Bowen to SC.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EthanM is offline
Old Jan 10, 2018, 04:23 PM   #246
I Bomb
Stylin' and Profilin'
I Bomb's Avatar
Lol, I feel like I've been bait and switched. Anyway, I still stand by my original comment that we could use recruits like Archibald and Krupalija, even at their freshman skill level(s). Felt like a pretty innocuous comment at the time - guess I was wrong!
I Bomb is offline
Old Jan 10, 2018, 05:11 PM   #247
Verified Insider
Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanM View Post
ESPN saying Brian Bowen to SC.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SC being South Carolina in this instance.

Man.....I wouldn't touch this kid with a 10 foot pole.
Verified Insider is offline
Old Jan 10, 2018, 05:17 PM   #248
IlliniCaboose
IlliniCaboose's Avatar
Hell, I'd settle for (my favorite all time Illini and the reason I always pick #22) Lucas Johnson. And he only averaged 5&3 for his career.

__________________
Agent of Shield
IlliniCaboose is offline
Old Jan 10, 2018, 06:47 PM   #249
TownieMatt
CU Expat
TownieMatt's Avatar
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verified Insider View Post
SC being South Carolina in this instance.

Man.....I wouldn't touch this kid with a 10 foot pole.
Since we're linked to Cherry, I've been thinking about the potential ramifications of taking the kids that got caught up in the FBI sting. To me, it seems like the worst thing that can happen is that the player is ruled ineligible. Assuming you operate above-board when recruiting them, your program isn't at fault for dumb things they did while being recruited by someone else.

Maybe I'm missing something and SC is taking a bigger risk, but it seems like decent risk-reward for a program like that.
TownieMatt is offline
Old Jan 10, 2018, 06:53 PM   #250
Poe's Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniCaboose View Post
Hell, I'd settle for (my favorite all time Illini and the reason I always pick #22) Lucas Johnson. And he only averaged 5&3 for his career.
Oh he'd be a difference maker on this team for sure.
Poe's Law is offline
Closed Thread
Thread Tools

Forum Jump