Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Looking ahead to 2018

Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:15 AM   #151
BananaShampoo
Captain 'Paign
I'm still predicting 3-4 wins next year, mostly due to depth again. In 2019 and on I expect we'll go bowling. Can't wait for that. Full steam ahead.

Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:54 AM   #152
the Castle on Daniel
I hope you're right, Banana. 2019's schedule isn't a cakewalk, but we can certainly be competitive if we make some major strides this year. As of today, I only see three gimmes and they are our first three games. We are comfortably the worst team in the Big Ten and I don't expect us to have totally shed identity by 2019. I think it's very possible that we don't go bowling between now and 2020 and end up competing in the Big Ten Championship game in 2020.
the Castle on Daniel is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2018, 02:49 PM   #153
Dan
Admin
1-on-1 with Illini's Lovie Smith: 'Bigger, stronger, faster'

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/i...er-faster.html
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2018, 07:30 PM   #154
lexwaldez
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Castle on Daniel View Post
I hope you're right, Banana. 2019's schedule isn't a cakewalk, but we can certainly be competitive if we make some major strides this year. As of today, I only see three gimmes and they are our first three games. We are comfortably the worst team in the Big Ten and I don't expect us to have totally shed identity by 2019. I think it's very possible that we don't go bowling between now and 2020 and end up competing in the Big Ten Championship game in 2020.
I agree with Banana Shampoo - we have a tough year in 2018 and go bowling in 2019 (which is what I'm calling Lovie's 3rd year here). I'd just like to see some stability and production on the offensive side and I'd like to see us hang with teams half way thru the 4th quarter this year. I really thought we had some decent first half play last season and were totally dominated in the second half. If we could see some improvement there, even with our depth problems I would count this season an improvement. I think we have too many question marks in too many places for a lot of optimism this fall but I AM optimistic for next season. Hopefully a veteran QB running an offense for second year, a solid line in front of him and we put up some points making our defenses job that much easier. Here's hoping! I think we're doing all the right things in the meantime.
lexwaldez is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2018, 07:53 PM   #155
sacraig
Mad Scientist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
1-on-1 with Illini's Lovie Smith: 'Bigger, stronger, faster'

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/i...er-faster.html
So that has to mean that he is targeting a current NFL guy for the final assistant spot, right?
sacraig is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2018, 08:37 AM   #156
Dude
http://www.thetelegraph.com/sports/1...look-different

Just an article if you just like reading about the Illini, nothing juicy. WARNING - Not a rainbows farts and cloud coughs article
Dude is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2018, 09:04 AM   #157
Dan
Admin
Tickets

Season tickets on sale now

http://fightingillini.com/news/2018/...?path=football
https://ev11.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncom...=F18AllTickets
Old Feb 11, 2018, 06:44 AM   #158
Dan
Admin
Thrilled to share this first edition of an awesome story about courage, luck and the #Illini.
Colton Courage
https://www.thechampaignroom.com/201...all-basketball

https://twitter.com/Schuster_Elias/s...62551681519616
Old Feb 11, 2018, 09:30 AM   #159
dutchf
Thanks Dan, it is nice to get the side of sports that has the feel good moments. I hope some of the professors read that news and watch the video.
dutchf is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:46 PM   #160
thunderwear
Hey all, a friend and I have different perspectives on the upcoming football season, I think we win 3, he thinks we go bowling. His argument is that without injuries to key players through random parts of the season and bad offensive play calling we could have won several more games. Add to to it a year of training, new talent, and a more experienced cam thomas we win a few more games. What do you all think?
thunderwear is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2018, 11:12 PM   #161
BananaShampoo
Captain 'Paign
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderwear View Post
Hey all, a friend and I have different perspectives on the upcoming football season, I think we win 3, he thinks we go bowling. His argument is that without injuries to key players through random parts of the season and bad offensive play calling we could have won several more games. Add to to it a year of training, new talent, and a more experienced cam thomas we win a few more games. What do you all think?
I'd veer more towards your prediction myself. We still little depth at key positions, QB is a question mark, and we'll still be one of the youngest teams in the country. I'm thinking four wins this year and we make a minor bowl game the next.

Old Feb 15, 2018, 11:28 PM   #162
BZuppke
Nope. This is a bit of a break out year. Things click and we win a few close ones on the strength of our D. We break into the bowl scene and set the stage for 2019 and 2020 which will be big years. #WeWillWin!
BZuppke is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2018, 08:46 AM   #163
FiveStar
Quote:
The problem is, itís football, so youíre gonna have injuries to key players. You have to have guys who can step in and maintain solid production when it happens.

Exhibit A: Philadelphia Eagles QB situation
FiveStar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2018, 08:55 AM   #164
Dude
Quote:
I am leaning more toward 2-4 wins. In the end, these are still kids pretty fresh out of HS playing against more physically and mentally developed players. 30 more pounds of muscle goes a long way on the football field
Dude is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2018, 09:48 AM   #165
Ga65
Seems to me a huge amount will depend on quarterback play.
Ga65 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:09 AM   #166
blmillini
Quote:
I think your friend, like many others, is setting himself up for disappointment. I wholeheartedly believe the train is moving in the right direction, but we are simply too young, inexperienced and undeveloped to make a push for a bowl this soon. I hope your friend is right but I tend to think 2-4 is about all we can expect next season.
blmillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:16 AM   #167
KBLEE
A Legend in My Own Mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmillini View Post
I hope your friend is right but I tend to think 2-4 is about all we can expect next season.
2 would be a major disappointment. Put me in the 3-5 camp.
KBLEE is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:22 AM   #168
thunderwear
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveStar View Post
The problem is, itís football, so youíre gonna have injuries to key players. You have to have guys who can step in and maintain solid production when it happens.

Exhibit A: Philadelphia Eagles QB situation
That was my argument.

But for his point, its not unheard of to keep Epstein, Williams, Phillips, and Cam Thomas for example (Cam Thomas for the first half of the season until someone else could step in).
thunderwear is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:29 AM   #169
UIGrad03
Sure, I would like to see a jump in the W column. But I think improvement in the product on the field, player IQ, competitiveness, execution of schemes, etc is going to be more important than some arbitrary number of wins.

2018 is a building block towards what we can all hope is a bowl appearance year in 2019.
UIGrad03 is offline Reply With Quote