Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (March 2018)

Closed Thread

Old Mar 11, 2018, 03:11 PM   #1201
Illini Resurgence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centennial Illini View Post
Who are these B or C guys of which you speak? Offering and putting in the time to get one of those B or C types are 2 entirely different things.

It seem Groce devoted all his time to the Cliff Alexanders and then hit the grad transfer route.

If we had taken a Mav Morgan project 3 years ago, we would a lot happier right now.
Mav was not a project. IIRC he was player of the year in Ohio for his level.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 03:21 PM   #1202
BananaShampoo
Captain 'Paign
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini Resurgence View Post
He was most certainly a project if you saw him play his first two years. Didn't blossom till halfway through junior year. Also he was ranked in the mid 100s coming in. Turned out to be a solid player, but it took time.

Old Mar 11, 2018, 03:25 PM   #1203
SescIllini
Quote:
He was a project no matter what title eas bestowed on him in high school. Nick Smith was Florida Gatordade POY and Mark Smith and both projects.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 03:27 PM   #1204
illini80
Quote:
You may have your own definition, but by most accounts he was a project and a worthwhile one. 3 star ranking, roughly top 150. 2/3 of the way thru his junior season before he was much of a contributor.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 03:42 PM   #1205
IlliniInSturgisMi
I'm definitely not an Insider but I'm hearing rumors of a second 7-footer on the way to UIUC. Not even sure we were recruiting a second 7-footer so this may be hogwash. Anybody know anything?
Old Mar 11, 2018, 04:17 PM   #1206
sacraig
Mad Scientist
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniInSturgisMi View Post
I'm definitely not an Insider but I'm hearing rumors of a second 7-footer on the way to UIUC. Not even sure we were recruiting a second 7-footer so this may be hogwash. Anybody know anything?
Weren't one or both of those NY bigs we offered close to 7 feet?
Old Mar 11, 2018, 04:20 PM   #1207
RIVERCITYCHIEF
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinitiger View Post
if we had a b or c PG any of JGs years 2-4, he'd (JG)still be here. JTL was good pickup, but too late.
Groce would still be here if Nunn hadn't messed up but that's in the past. I am excited about our new recruits and how they should fill some of our needs. Now I hope Black and Finke stay and we add Okoro in 2019.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 04:25 PM   #1208
FiveStar
Quote:
Samba’s friend?
Old Mar 11, 2018, 04:35 PM   #1209
TownieMatt
CU Expat
Obviously we're all focused on Jones, but a Alan Griffin is looking like a really solid prospect. A couple athletic plays from a kid that's supposed to be a shooter:

https://twitter.com/overtime/status/972962802238410753
https://twitter.com/lohudinsider/sta...19491994185729
Old Mar 11, 2018, 04:47 PM   #1210
ChazzReinhold
Mom! The Meatloaf!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownieMatt View Post
Obviously we're all focused on Jones, but a Alan Griffin is looking like a really solid prospect. A couple athletic plays from a kid that's supposed to be a shooter:

Didn’t miss that dunk. 😃
Clean block ref. 😡
Old Mar 11, 2018, 05:03 PM   #1211
Ubermensch
Founder, Kipper Fan Club
Quote:

Okay. He looked pretty good on the dunk. I was worried about his athleticism, but that was pretty fluid.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 05:56 PM   #1212
PlayAZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by SescIllini View Post
He was a project no matter what title eas bestowed on him in high school. Nick Smith was Florida Gatordade POY and Mark Smith and both projects.
Bingo on all accounts
Old Mar 11, 2018, 06:13 PM   #1213
TownieMatt
CU Expat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubermensch View Post
Okay. He looked pretty good on the dunk. I was worried about his athleticism, but that was pretty fluid.
He's almost awkwardly athletic. If you watch longer highlights off him, he isn't a quick jumper but can get up when he gathers himself. Fletch will be key developing more explosiveness.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 06:20 PM   #1214
foby
Quote:
He's almost awkwardly athletic. If you watch longer highlights off him, he isn't a quick jumper but can get up when he gathers himself. Fletch will be key developing more explosiveness.
Maybe calling him "sneaky athletic" would fit. The more I see of him, the more I am convinced the staff found a real hidden gem.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 06:23 PM   #1215
t7nich
Quote:
Valdir Manuel would be my guess. We are in his top 4 with Wake, Syracuse, and Seton Hall. Figured we’d pass on him with Kane coming on board tho..
Old Mar 11, 2018, 06:26 PM   #1216
bombayIllini
Can a student-athlete on a sports scholarship be "reassigned" to some other type of a scholarship? If so, what other types?
Old Mar 11, 2018, 06:32 PM   #1217
sacraig
Mad Scientist
Quote:
Originally Posted by t7nich View Post
Valdir Manuel would be my guess. We are in his top 4 with Wake, Syracuse, and Seton Hall. Figured we’d pass on him with Kane coming on board tho..
I'd be okay with that. It's been a while since we have had more than one legit post defender at a time.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 06:40 PM   #1218
RIVERCITYCHIEF
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacraig View Post
I'd be okay with that. It's been a while since we have had more than one legit post defender at a time.
Ebo can certainly be a legit post defender. It's almost frustrating at times that we think freshmen aren't going to get bigger, stronger, gain weight, and skill. Ebo hasn't played the game long and certainly can and will improve.as will all our players. Ebo is a solid athlete for a young man his size. This was just a huge jump in competeion especially given that he is relatively new to basketball compared to others he is facing.

Egwu took time and improved I think Ebo can too.

Last edited by RIVERCITYCHIEF; Mar 11, 2018 at 06:44 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 06:48 PM   #1219
Ubermensch
Founder, Kipper Fan Club
Ebo, Samba and Manuel would be a nice group of young tall guys to protect the rim for the next few years. At this point I'd prefer to have an athletic PF in Trice over another thin center, but if Black leaves I'd be thrilled to be able to get both.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 06:49 PM   #1220
Johnny Lawrence
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombayIllini View Post
Can a student-athlete on a sports scholarship be "reassigned" to some other type of a scholarship? If so, what other types?
Nope
Old Mar 11, 2018, 07:11 PM   #1221
OWWDig
Quote:
Originally Posted by foby View Post
Maybe calling him "sneaky athletic" would fit. The more I see of him, the more I am convinced the staff found a real hidden gem.
Biggest thing to me, in the short term, is that Griffin seems to be a winner. We need guys that know how to win and have that inherent drive to win. Griffin's most immediate impact just might be helping to turn the culture of this team.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 07:17 PM   #1222
SescIllini
Quote:
Where are you hearing this from? I asked about us also pursuing Assan Dioge. Samba Kane's former teammate.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 07:25 PM   #1223
Ubermensch
Founder, Kipper Fan Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SescIllini View Post
Where are you hearing this from? I asked about us also pursuing Assan Dioge. Samba Kane's former teammate.
Assane Diouf
Old Mar 11, 2018, 07:28 PM   #1224
illinitiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubermensch View Post
Assane Diouf
Rutgers, GA Tech and UMass offers. some boards show him as a 19 recruit...247 shows 18.

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk
Old Mar 11, 2018, 07:33 PM   #1225
redriver
Supposedly they are still after Giorgi Bezhanishvili
http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/i...ncing-ice.html
Looks very skilled in some tapes. Never know if they can play big ten defense.
Closed Thread