Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (March 2018)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old Mar 12, 2018, 03:48 PM   #1251
TownieMatt
CU Expat
TownieMatt's Avatar
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by redriver View Post
I'm guessing you didn't catch the h.s. game today vs. Christ the King. He didn't look awkward at all. Skilled in all phases, passing, rebounding, drives, midrange, deep. Not necessarily great, but solid in all, which is what you need from a 2,3. Like I thought DJ Richardson would be, but wasn't.
It seems like you're taking my "awkwardly athletic" observation as a knock on him, which it isn't. I've watched a lot of film on him at this point, including the full highlights of his game vs Molloy. I don't mean that he's somehow clumsy or uncoordinated—he isn't—he's actually very quick and fluid at times. That being said, he isn't a prototypically explosive athlete either.

The tweet from the NYC prep sports guy on the front page says it well: "He is unorthodox with the ball and it can make him deceptive."
TownieMatt is offline
Old Mar 12, 2018, 04:20 PM   #1252
TCTORNADO
Griffin's most impressive performance was at a 4 game tournament at Torrey Pines in December 2017. He was named MVP amongst such other notables as Quentin Grimes (McD AA), Taeshon Cherry, and Shareef O'Neal. Griffin's ascent to top level talent status is similar to Mark Smith's last year. Let's hope it ends differently.
TCTORNADO is offline
Old Mar 12, 2018, 04:35 PM   #1253
foby
Location: Sin City
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
Griffin's most impressive performance was at a 4 game tournament at Torrey Pines in December 2017. He was named MVP amongst such other notables as Quentin Grimes (McD AA), Taeshon Cherry, and Shareef O'Neal. Griffin's ascent to top level talent status is similar to Mark Smith's last year. Let's hope it ends differently.
Was thinking the same. Also that it was fortunate we got a commitment before some other schools got involved.

Last edited by foby; Mar 12, 2018 at 04:36 PM. Reason: unfortunate error
foby is offline
Old Mar 12, 2018, 04:45 PM   #1254
PtownIllini8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIVERCITYCHIEF View Post
Ebo can certainly be a legit post defender. It's almost frustrating at times that we think freshmen aren't going to get bigger, stronger, gain weight, and skill. Ebo hasn't played the game long and certainly can and will improve.as will all our players. Ebo is a solid athlete for a young man his size. This was just a huge jump in competeion especially given that he is relatively new to basketball compared to others he is facing.

Egwu took time and improved I think Ebo can too.
Agreed, I love Greg E's future.
PtownIllini8 is offline
Old Mar 12, 2018, 05:25 PM   #1255
1m4tr
Cliffmas
Austin Trice will be putting out a top 10. Stay tuned.
1m4tr is offline
Old Mar 12, 2018, 05:28 PM   #1256
Renegade19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga65 View Post
You are probably right, I just have a yen for an enforcer to park Haas and Happ in the third row. The rule of verticality doesn't seem to apply to them.
Agreed but Andre the Giant and the Big Show are out of eligibility.
Renegade19 is offline
Old Mar 12, 2018, 05:43 PM   #1257
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by foby View Post
Was thinking the same. Also that it was fortunate we got a commitment before some other schools got involved.
I would like to think that with Griffin's senior year that he ends up in or near the Top 100. Tough to do but Smith did it. A Mr. BB of NY would help.Looks like announcemnt of Mr BB could come in about a week.

Last edited by TCTORNADO; Mar 12, 2018 at 05:48 PM.
TCTORNADO is offline
Old Mar 12, 2018, 05:51 PM   #1258
RIVERCITYCHIEF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centennial Illini View Post
Who are these B or C guys of which you speak? Offering and putting in the time to get one of those B or C types are 2 entirely different things.

It seem Groce devoted all his time to the Cliff Alexanders and then hit the grad transfer route.

If we had taken a Mav Morgan project 3 years ago, we would a lot happier right now.

Mav was not a project. Just because a freshman isn't an instant starter does not make him a project. Why is is often people call big men projects? If Mav was from a CU high school and was 4A player of the year would you say that? Was Rodger Mc from your high school project? Stars are so over rated, Kendall Gill was the lowest rated in his class too kinda like Trent. I'd love to take the 5a player out of Ohio every year and take my chances
RIVERCITYCHIEF is offline
Old Mar 12, 2018, 06:08 PM   #1259
DB11Headband
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1m4tr View Post
Austin Trice will be putting out a top 10. Stay tuned.
I think if he were to put out a Top 1 we would be on the list
DB11Headband is offline
Old Mar 12, 2018, 06:21 PM   #1260
SescIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIVERCITYCHIEF View Post
Mav was not a project. Just because a freshman isn't an instant starter does not make him a project. Why is is often people call big men projects? If Mav was from a CU high school and was 4A player of the year would you say that? Was Rodger Mc from your high school project? Stars are so over rated, Kendall Gill was the lowest rated in his class too kinda like Trent. I'd love to take the 5a player out of Ohio every year and take my chances
Once again it doesn't matter what rank or honor he had in high school he needed a lot of development and time to contribute at the college level. He was a respectable #152 recruit on 247sports. But he averaged 1 and 2 points his first two seasons. He averaged 10 points as a senior, much improved from his first 2 years. He also had to overcome confidence issues. Brian Butch a McAA redshirted at Wiscy and also was a project at the college level.
SescIllini is offline
Old Mar 12, 2018, 06:30 PM   #1261
foby
Location: Sin City
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1m4tr View Post
Austin Trice will be putting out a top 10. Stay tuned.
Illinois, UIC, Kansas St, Kansas, Mizzery, SLU, Iowa St, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Purdue

(not the illonion)
foby is offline
Old Mar 12, 2018, 06:42 PM   #1262
Peoria Illini
Location: Peoria, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by foby View Post
Illinois, UIC, Kansas St, Kansas, Mizzery, SLU, Iowa St, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Purdue

(not the illonion)
Well he got all of our former coaches involved except for Groce... LOL. Not to mention a couple of schools where are current coaches came from...
Peoria Illini is offline
Old Mar 12, 2018, 06:43 PM   #1263
PtownIllini8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownieMatt View Post
It seems like you're taking my "awkwardly athletic" observation as a knock on him, which it isn't. I've watched a lot of film on him at this point, including the full highlights of his game vs Molloy. I don't mean that he's somehow clumsy or uncoordinated—he isn't—he's actually very quick and fluid at times. That being said, he isn't a prototypically explosive athlete either.

The tweet from the NYC prep sports guy on the front page says it well: "He is unorthodox with the ball and it can make him deceptive."
Thanks, it's nice to read expert opinions on our recruits. It seems like the staff might've found a real under appreciated gem here.
PtownIllini8 is offline
Old Mar 12, 2018, 06:54 PM   #1264
Ratskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
I would like to think that with Griffin's senior year that he ends up in or near the Top 100. Tough to do but Smith did it. A Mr. BB of NY would help.Looks like announcemnt of Mr BB could come in about a week.
He won't win Mr.BB of NY-he committed to the Illini.
Ratskin is offline
Old Mar 12, 2018, 07:08 PM   #1265
Dan
Admin
Dan's Avatar
Location: Champaign, IL
New 2019 offer
https://twitter.com/UIHoopsRecruits/...60008539774976

Niven Glover '19
https://twitter.com/Andrew__Slater/s...55234541043712
Dan is offline
Old Mar 12, 2018, 08:10 PM   #1266
foby
Location: Sin City
Go get'im Trent!
foby is offline
Old Mar 12, 2018, 09:13 PM   #1267
eleets2144
He's entertaining to watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BuPJ4zJoJU

Last edited by Dan; Mar 13, 2018 at 07:42 AM.
eleets2144 is offline
Old Mar 12, 2018, 09:25 PM   #1268
chief78
chief78's Avatar
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by foby View Post
Go get'im Trent!
Not sure how that would work out considering Glover's team (Oak Ridge) defeated Wellington (Trent's high school team) in the 9A final.
chief78 is offline
Old Mar 12, 2018, 09:40 PM   #1269
Oldtoysrock
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PtownIllini8 View Post
Thanks, it's nice to read expert opinions on our recruits. It seems like the staff might've found a real under appreciated gem here.


Just reading about another former NBA player who coached his son Into becoming B/R’s national player of the year in Jalen Brunson. There’s alot to be said about growing up in a basketball family and I hope for nothing but the best for both Griffin brothers. I think we’ll all be pleasantly surprised.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Oldtoysrock is offline
Old Mar 12, 2018, 09:43 PM   #1270
Oldtoysrock
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SescIllini View Post
Once again it doesn't matter what rank or honor he had in high school he needed a lot of development and time to contribute at the college level. He was a respectable #152 recruit on 247sports. But he averaged 1 and 2 points his first two seasons. He averaged 10 points as a senior, much improved from his first 2 years. He also had to overcome confidence issues. Brian Butch a McAA redshirted at Wiscy and also was a project at the college level.


I would’ve loved to seen what our current staff could’ve done with Mav. I think his development may have come along a lot quicker.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Oldtoysrock is offline
Old Mar 12, 2018, 09:54 PM   #1271
JFGsCoffeeMug
BU:1 Trash cans:0
JFGsCoffeeMug's Avatar
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleets2144 View Post
He's entertaining to watch


__________________
#WEWILLWIN
JFGsCoffeeMug is offline
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:08 PM   #1272
FiveStar
Location: Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleets2144 View Post
Good God.

Last edited by Dan; Mar 13, 2018 at 07:44 AM.
FiveStar is offline
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:17 PM   #1273
IlliniinIowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveStar View Post
Good God.
Incredible!! That kid dunks better than Michael Jordan.
IlliniinIowa is offline
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:33 PM   #1274
Joel Goodson
Joel Goodson's Avatar
Location: Elmhurst
Don't see what staff sees in him...said no one. Wonder how the rest of his game is.
Joel Goodson is offline
Old Mar 13, 2018, 12:14 AM   #1275
Peoria Pipeline
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleets2144 View Post
The exact kind of player i've been wanting!!! What an athlete.

Last edited by Dan; Mar 13, 2018 at 07:43 AM.
Peoria Pipeline is offline
Closed Thread
Thread Tools

Forum Jump