Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:45 AM   #1301
Illiniwek06
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpbradley View Post
Nope. Unless he's committed to the beloved,

a) he peaked too early
b) his growth plates are closed
c) he's not an everyday guy or doesn't exhibit our "winning" culture
d) his skills are more attuned to an 8-sec offense (aka, not a good fit for BU's system)
Hahaha + infinity. Illinois' low ranked guys are all diamonds in the rough/exceptions to the rule, while higher ranked players that choose to go elsewhere are misfit, culture cancers.
Illiniwek06 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:45 AM   #1302
tpbradley
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinidd12 View Post
You forgot, he isn't a banger!!
Yep, that should be a).

Unless he's committed to the beloved,

a) he's not a banger (or prototypical stretch 4)
d) his skills are more attuned to an 8-sec offense (aka, not a good fit for BU's system)
e) he's too much of a project and we're no longer interested in projects (except for the projects that are currently committed)
tpbradley is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:47 AM   #1303
Greensboro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaShampoo View Post
If Giorgi could eventually turn into 3/4 of what upperclassmen Mav was offensively but better defensively then that would turn out to be a well-used scholly.
I'm hoping in a couple of years we are good enough that 3/4 of Mav never sees the floor in 4 years
Greensboro is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:50 AM   #1304
rockillini
Article on Okoro discussing his visit to Oregon. Some good information in the article.

http://www.oregonlive.com/recruiting...ar_cent_1.html
rockillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:52 AM   #1305
NeaforThree
Quote:
Originally Posted by PtownIllini8 View Post
Prayers for Colbert regarding his brother and his troubles dealing with a serious blow like losing a brother. My wife went through that her freshman year in college. Very sad, hope he finds his way ok.
Hung out with him a bit when we were both freshmen. He's a great guy and all the best for him
NeaforThree is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:57 AM   #1306
BananaShampoo
Captain 'Paign
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpbradley View Post
Nope. Unless he's committed to the beloved,

a) he peaked too early
Whoosh!
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyILL View Post
Very Clever.... not sure everyone will get electrician humor though?!

That said his tendency to switch on defense is both a positive & a negative...
I don't know. I heard he's hard wired for defense. That would help for before the light bulb comes on offensively.

Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:06 AM   #1307
Tron2010
Quote:
Whoosh!

I don't know. I heard he's hard wired for defense. That would help for before the light bulb comes on offensively.
I've heard he's put on some weight as well. He's "current"ly at 220........which will help the 3 phases of his game.

Last edited by Tron2010; Apr 9, 2018 at 11:09 AM.
Tron2010 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:06 AM   #1308
Second and Chalmers
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockillini View Post
Article on Okoro discussing his visit to Oregon. Some good information in the article.

http://www.oregonlive.com/recruiting...ar_cent_1.html
This seems somewhat decodeable. He says he's not a 2018 because he hasn't taken the SAT yet. The sudden scuttlebutt about reclassification has come right around the April 6 deadline to sign up for the May 5 SAT.

Sounds like Okoro has signed up for that date's SAT, and if he gets the score he needs (which will be released in late May) he will reclassify and probably head to Oregon if a scholarship is left open for him (a piece to watch).

The in-home with Underwood is probably to better understand that plan and gauge what our chances would be if we left the last slot open for him as well.
Second and Chalmers is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:07 AM   #1309
jcgoldie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tevo View Post
When he was a kid, he was fond of fishing and pastry. His grandfather was a watchmaker's apprentice who saved his money to move his family from Georgia to Austria, to avoid the war....

Or, at least I assume it went something like that...
This is great
jcgoldie is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:14 AM   #1310
Goldtop
Quote:
When he was a kid, he was fond of fishing and pastry. His grandfather was a watchmaker's apprentice who saved his money to move his family from Georgia to Austria, to avoid the war. Giorgi had a hard time at first, not speaking the language, and especially because he was taller than his classmates. Children can be cruel to outsiders and to kids who stick out. Sadly, Giorgi was both. But he was a fun-loving kid with a quick smile, and a penchant for silly faces, and Monty Python skits. Once given a chance, he became something of an attraction on the playground, a veritable one-man show of silly walks, clown-like antics and faces and voices to match.

The teachers noticed, too, but especially, Tobias Boll, the young Mathematics teacher who also coached the boys basketball team. He saw in young Giorgi an energetic and physically dextrous child, who also happened to be 6' tall in 7th grade.

Tobias approached the boy, but Giorgi wasn't sure; when it came to sports, he preferred football and darts. But the football coaches always put him in the goal, and the darts coaches were all drunkards, as darts coaches are. Basketball had never been a consideration in his small town, though of course he had heard of greats like Otar Korkia and Levan Moseshvili, who had won medals with the Soviet teams. Even as he started to grow, he hadn't considered basketball as a option.

Tobias got the boy to practice, and showed him some funadmental drills, and the connection was immediate. Giorgi thrived in the freedom that basketball offered, and his flexibility, long arms and quick feet all worked to his advantage. And after every practice, Tobias had a box of fresh kada, purchased from a speciality bakery. Oh, Girogi loved those days, and finally felt settled in: silly games on the playground, basketball practice after school, and fresh kada while sitting under the giant beech tree, staring at the distant alps.

I love this. You have a gift.
Goldtop is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:15 AM   #1311
ivwilsoniv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greensboro View Post
I'm not convinced we have Creamed anyone to date...
I sure hope not.

Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:16 AM   #1312
rockillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second and Chalmers View Post
This seems somewhat decodeable. He says he's not a 2018 because he hasn't taken the SAT yet. The sudden scuttlebutt about reclassification has come right around the April 6 deadline to sign up for the May 5 SAT.

Sounds like Okoro has signed up for that date's SAT, and if he gets the score he needs (which will be released in late May) he will reclassify and probably head to Oregon if a scholarship is left open for him (a piece to watch).

The in-home with Underwood is probably to better understand that plan and gauge what our chances would be if we left the last slot open for him as well.
I think you decoded it perfectly.

However, in my mind, it's really hard to know which school he is leaning towards if he reclassifies because it seems he made this decision at the last minute.

I think he visited Oregon because he's never been out there. Obviously he's been to Illinois and Purdue multiple times. If he get's the score he needs, he will have visited, and have all the information he needs to make a decision, on the schools that interest him.

Underwood will get clarification from Okoro, like you said, and figure out how to play his chess piece.

Should be interesting to see how this one plays out.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:22 AM   #1313
jcgoldie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldtop View Post
I love this. You have a gift.
And too much time on your hands.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:22 AM   #1314
foby
Quote:
When he was a kid, he was fond of fishing and pastry. His grandfather was a watchmaker's apprentice who saved his money to move his family from Georgia to Austria, to avoid the war. Giorgi had a hard time at first, not speaking the language, and especially because he was taller than his classmates. Children can be cruel to outsiders and to kids who stick out. Sadly, Giorgi was both. But he was a fun-loving kid with a quick smile, and a penchant for silly faces, and Monty Python skits. Once given a chance, he became something of an attraction on the playground, a veritable one-man show of silly walks, clown-like antics and faces and voices to match.

The teachers noticed, too, but especially, Tobias Boll, the young Mathematics teacher who also coached the boys basketball team. He saw in young Giorgi an energetic and physically dextrous child, who also happened to be 6' tall in 7th grade.

Tobias approached the boy, but Giorgi wasn't sure; when it came to sports, he preferred football and darts. But the football coaches always put him in the goal, and the darts coaches were all drunkards, as darts coaches are. Basketball had never been a consideration in his small town, though of course he had heard of greats like Otar Korkia and Levan Moseshvili, who had won medals with the Soviet teams. Even as he started to grow, he hadn't considered basketball as a option.

Tobias got the boy to practice, and showed him some funadmental drills, and the connection was immediate. Giorgi thrived in the freedom that basketball offered, and his flexibility, long arms and quick feet all worked to his advantage. And after every practice, Tobias had a box of fresh kada, purchased from a speciality bakery. Oh, Girogi loved those days, and finally felt settled in: silly games on the playground, basketball practice after school, and fresh kada while sitting under the giant beech tree, staring at the distant alps.

Awesome! Now do Samba and Matic!
foby is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:22 AM   #1315
skyIdub
Winged Warrior
When did they become the "Fighting Ducks"? Did I miss something, or is this just one of their 1,420 (plus or minus 5) uniform combinations?
skyIdub is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:22 AM   #1316
rockillini
Not that we are recruiting him now, but interesting news on Courtney Ramey.

https://twitter.com/jeffgreer_cj/sta...93339851583489
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:25 AM   #1317
jcgoldie
Quote:

Seems odd. Unfortunately Cuonzo might fall into this one.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:25 AM   #1318
StateFarmCenter
Quote:

The biggest news to me there is you can apparently talk about recruits to the press if you're not actively recruiting them.
StateFarmCenter is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:27 AM   #1319
rockillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by StateFarmCenter View Post
The biggest news to me there is you can apparently talk about recruits to the press if you're not actively recruiting them.
I wonder why Mack doesn't like Ramey?

https://twitter.com/jeffgreer_cj/sta...94336992874496
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:29 AM   #1320
illini80
Quote:
If Giorgi could eventually turn into 3/4 of what upperclassmen Mav was offensively but better defensively then that would turn out to be a well-used scholly.
I agree. Mav contributed a lot on the offensive end, but was a liability on the defensive end. And that's being kind.
illini80 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:38 AM   #1321
Foggy Notion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron2010 View Post
I've heard he's put on some weight as well. He's "current"ly at 220........which will help the 3 phases of his game.
Yes, and as his power surges, don't be shocked if he lights it up.
Foggy Notion is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:51 AM   #1322
eMitch
Quote:
220, 221, whatever it takes
eMitch is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:51 AM   #1323
rockillini
Sounds like Ole Miss is the latest school to chase our recruit list:

https://twitter.com/coreyevans_10/st...98941470478336
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:54 AM   #1324
bert1991
Quote:
Bravo
bert1991 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:05 PM   #1325
illini80
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMitch View Post
220, 221, whatever it takes
I'm positive he can transform us into a high voltage offense down the line, but it's important to stay grounded and avoid the negative, so for the current time I'm staying neutral.
illini80 is offline Reply With Quote