Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Apr 11, 2018, 01:25 PM   #1751
Tacomallini
Location: Washington State
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon House View Post
Wait a sec. How is he eligible, then?
Shhhh
Tacomallini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2018, 01:28 PM   #1752
haasi
haasi's Avatar
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomallini View Post
The El General = Naan Bread = With Au Jus


He sounds delicious


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
haasi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2018, 01:47 PM   #1753
KrushCow31
Former Krush Cow
KrushCow31's Avatar
Location: South Bend, IN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon House View Post
Wait a sec. How is he eligible, then?
Same way Matic is eligible. He also played on a professional team called the Helios Suns. I believe they do not get paid, it's just better competition than high school basketball/they probably don't even have high school basketball.

Also fun fact. We essentially did a Mike Thorne for Matic Vesel trade, as Thorne joined the Helios Suns when Vesel left for Illinois, though I don't think Thorne still plays for them.

Last edited by KrushCow31; Apr 11, 2018 at 01:51 PM.
KrushCow31 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2018, 02:01 PM   #1754
Second and Chalmers
Second and Chalmers's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockillini View Post
Agreed, but when you add this to all of his MVP's, awards, and championships, it further validates what we got in Alan.
Productivity, a winner, someone who has been around the game at the highest level his whole life and understands basketball as a craft.

Won't matter if his talent and skill development can't raise him to Big Ten level, but definitely a guy who will positively impact the team in intangible ways.
Second and Chalmers is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2018, 02:07 PM   #1755
Illini B-Ball Fan
Illini B-Ball Fan's Avatar
Location: Racine WI
BU still looking for a frontcourt guy that would fit if the opportunity arises.

__________________
Illini game plan - It's not how fast you play, it's how well you play fast.
Illini B-Ball Fan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2018, 02:11 PM   #1756
Dren1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomallini View Post
The El General = Naan Bread = With Au Jus
Quote:
Originally Posted by haasi View Post
He sounds delicious


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This made me laugh.
Dren1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2018, 02:15 PM   #1757
Illini_1979
Illini_1979's Avatar
Location: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomallini View Post
The El General = Naan Bread = With Au Jus
Hungry?
Illini_1979 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2018, 02:16 PM   #1758
Second and Chalmers
Second and Chalmers's Avatar
So the two pieces that looked like news to me from that press conference:

We're still looking for a big guy who can score, and Underwood doesn't want to just add a 5th year.

Relatedly, he said he doesn't really believe in class balance anymore because of how common transfers (read: Creanings) are now.

Not sure that's the wisest way to build something sustainable, but that's what he said.
Second and Chalmers is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2018, 02:19 PM   #1759
TheFameProtector
Location: Champaign
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second and Chalmers View Post
So the two pieces that looked like news to me from that press conference:

We're still looking for a big guy who can score, and Underwood doesn't want to just add a 5th year.

Relatedly, he said he doesn't really believe in class balance anymore because of how common transfers (read: Creanings) are now.

Not sure that's the wisest way to build something sustainable, but that's what he said.
Completely agree with this though. Obviously we're not going to become Kentucky, and I wouldn't want to just have a yearly rotating roster - that's not fun as a fan. But, the amount of player movement in college bball does mean you can build a successful program without worrying as much about class balance. A class of 6 freshmen will never result in a senior graduating class of 6 people. Just doesn't happen anymore.
TheFameProtector is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2018, 02:20 PM   #1760
Illini_1979
Illini_1979's Avatar
Location: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockillini View Post
Welcome to the #Illini Family, Giorgi Bezhanishvili
https://twitter.com/IlliniMBB/status/984086959135055873

Illinois Basketball video on Giorgi

https://twitter.com/IlliniMBB/status/984089178676711424
I like that video, brief as it was. He looks to be left-handed which might give him a slight advantage to bigs used to defending a right-handed player. But also used his right-hand when driving to the hoop. Nice looking outside shot (based on a small sample size). Color me intrigued by the possibilities.
Illini_1979 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2018, 02:23 PM   #1761
ChiefIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second and Chalmers View Post
Relatedly, he said he doesn't really believe in class balance anymore because of how common transfers (read: Creanings) are now.

Not sure that's the wisest way to build something sustainable, but that's what he said.
He's not wrong though, transfers go up every year. It's almost impossible to consistently sign a 3/4 man class year in and year out. I think the way he phrased it was more along the lines of he isn't going to worry about signing 6 or 7 man classes if it means ruining class balance, he doesn't believe class balance exists anymore.
ChiefIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2018, 02:32 PM   #1762
Second and Chalmers
Second and Chalmers's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini View Post
He's not wrong though, transfers go up every year. It's almost impossible to consistently sign a 3/4 man class year in and year out. I think the way he phrased it was more along the lines of he isn't going to worry about signing 6 or 7 man classes if it means ruining class balance, he doesn't believe class balance exists anymore.
I get it, but for one thing I still find Creaning gross even as it has become increasingly destigmatized, and secondly I don't remember who said it, but there was a recent quote about West Virginia that they "get old and stay old". I think that's the way you win, especially as a system team.

Signing 6 freshman in your first full class doesn't prevent that from happening, but my fear is that roster chaos begets roster chaos.
Second and Chalmers is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2018, 02:35 PM   #1763
kuhl84
Location: Orlando, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
Adam Miller included
Malik Hall now as well. They gave him "Associate Head Coach" title. My son is huge Gator fan, he keeps texting me about the offers. Really getting annoying.
kuhl84 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2018, 02:39 PM   #1764
Illini B-Ball Fan
Illini B-Ball Fan's Avatar
Location: Racine WI
Class balance is immaterial if there are players transferring out on a regular basis as it appears this may be the normal pattern for this coach.

__________________
Illini game plan - It's not how fast you play, it's how well you play fast.
Illini B-Ball Fan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2018, 02:43 PM   #1765
haasi
haasi's Avatar
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second and Chalmers View Post
I get it, but for one thing I still find Creaning gross even as it has become increasingly destigmatized, and secondly I don't remember who said it, but there was a recent quote about West Virginia that they "get old and stay old". I think that's the way you win, especially as a system team.



Signing 6 freshman in your first full class doesn't prevent that from happening, but my fear is that roster chaos begets roster chaos.


I mean I guess the hope is the roster chaos stabilizes at some point, but when you have six guys out or whatever we had, there’s going to be roster chaos regardless who you bring in, doesn’t matter if they’re all freshmen or if some of them are fifth years who will be gone the next year. Groce tried to fill in fifth years to achieve some roster balance year in and year out, we saw how that turned out. I think bringing in freshmen at least you have the opportunity to mold them to your system and hopefully enough will work out where we’ll be able to bring in more normally sized classes of 3-4 or so a year going forward.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
haasi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2018, 02:45 PM   #1766
Second and Chalmers
Second and Chalmers's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini B-Ball Fan View Post
Class balance is immaterial if there are players transferring out on a regular basis as it appears this may be the normal pattern for this coach.
I don't think this coach would survive long enough for it to achieve normal pattern status if that's what's going to keep happening, to be very frank.

A young project who's not hacking it every now and again? Sure. There will be at least one next year, guaranteed. But the Smith and Black type situations cannot be a regular occurrence for a stable, successful program.
Second and Chalmers is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2018, 03:19 PM   #1767
Chathamillini
Can't blame the black situation on him the kid got his degree and wants to go make money and play pro ball that's totally different from the Mark Smith situation. I'm pretty sure his plan is Not to Crean players left and right and have huge roster change over a year to year. This year is an aberration due to being a new coach with a whole new system with players that didn't fit his mold or a coach that fits their mold. In fact I think the black situation is a success he can point to . I had this kid one year and he went from seven point avg to A 15 point average.
Chathamillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2018, 03:19 PM   #1768
Ga65
Basically like this class and really only worry about the Black hole. Believe Ebo will be an improvement in defense but not an offense improvement. Matic seemed to be ala Finke I.e. (Can shoot but not strong rebounder) and he is a complete unknown to us. Liked the latest clip on GBez but don't trust freshmen unless they play for another Illinois team. The 1-3 positions have enough depth to produce winners even if we can't predict who they will be. Just don't like an undersized Kipper at the 4 position again. Watching the tournament, size did seem to matter.
Ga65 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2018, 03:24 PM   #1769
OurMottoisOskeeWowWow
OurMottoisOskeeWowWow's Avatar
Location: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazzReinhold View Post
umm Meyers
Oh yeah he was. My bad. Wish he had stayed longer than he did.
OurMottoisOskeeWowWow is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2018, 03:30 PM   #1770
Illini B-Ball Fan
Illini B-Ball Fan's Avatar
Location: Racine WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second and Chalmers View Post
I don't think this coach would survive long enough for it to achieve normal pattern status if that's what's going to keep happening, to be very frank.

A young project who's not hacking it every now and again? Sure. There will be at least one next year, guaranteed. But the Smith and Black type situations cannot be a regular occurrence for a stable, successful program.
Hopefully, the majority of those that signed today carryon for the 2019-2020 season, but that's yet to be seen depending on how they fit/gel and if we make it to the NCAA tournament this coming year. We'll talk much more about this same topic around 11 months from now what kind of pattern emerged.

__________________
Illini game plan - It's not how fast you play, it's how well you play fast.
Illini B-Ball Fan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2018, 03:36 PM   #1771
Monte Carlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga65 View Post
Basically like this class and really only worry about the Black hole. Believe Ebo will be an improvement in defense but not an offense improvement. Matic seemed to be ala Finke I.e. (Can shoot but not strong rebounder) and he is a complete unknown to us. Liked the latest clip on GBez but don't trust freshmen unless they play for another Illinois team. The 1-3 positions have enough depth to produce winners even if we can't predict who they will be. Just don't like an undersized Kipper at the 4 position again. Watching the tournament, size did seem to matter.
Not so sure about that. In the title game, Villanova's 4 was 6'6", and Michigan's 6'7". Both had a big - 6'9" and 6'11" - and then three guards at 6'3", 6'3" and 6'5" and 6'0", 6'4" and 6'6". With Kipper, that is exactly what we will probably be. Ebo 6'9" or so, Kipper 6'6" at 4, Jones/Jordan/Griffin at SF 6'5" or 6'6" and then Ayo 6'5" and Trent 6'1".
Monte Carlo is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2018, 03:37 PM   #1772
Illwinsagain
Location: Cary, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini B-Ball Fan View Post
Class balance is immaterial if there are players transferring out on a regular basis as it appears this may be the normal pattern for this coach.
Not to pick on just this post, what I heard is that there is 40% attrition in college basketball now every two years (not just UI). Some kids going pro, some, not liking a treadmill or their future P/T. I do believe things will settle down, apparently, he inherited a roster that did not fit his system. He is not willing to wait for kids to graduate to fix that. I don't blame him. He is not used to failing.
Illwinsagain is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2018, 03:55 PM   #1773
IlliniCC
Trent-Ayo-Jones-Kipper-Okoro would be a Top 5 starting lineup in the B1G next year and tournament caliber. Our bench is another story and could range honestly anywhere. My point is that right now Okoro could change the whole outlook for our team next year and the heights we can reach.
IlliniCC is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2018, 03:55 PM   #1774
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhl84 View Post
Malik Hall now as well. They gave him "Associate Head Coach" title. My son is huge Gator fan, he keeps texting me about the offers. Really getting annoying.
The Gators for 2019 have only offered 33 recruits for 3 spots. Seems about right.
TCTORNADO is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2018, 03:57 PM   #1775
kuhl84
Location: Orlando, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
The Gators for 2019 have only offered 33 recruits for 3 spots. Seems about right.


That should cover any contingency.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kuhl84 is offline Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools

Forum Jump