Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:04 AM   #1976
NeaforThree
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
It took 4 years for Morgan to become an average B1G center. Hopefully, Ebo ends up beating that result.
Exactly, Mike Davis also comes to mind as someone who showed pretty much nothing his first year as an unheralded recruit and then burst onto the scene after.

I distinctly remember that after the orange and blue SCRIMMAGE Mav's freshman year the multiple posts on Loyalty about how Mav was never going to see the floor/should look to transfer out etc. and this was after the preseason scrimmage. Good to see that Loyalty hasn't changed haha

Last edited by NeaforThree; Apr 13, 2018 at 10:10 AM.
NeaforThree is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:08 AM   #1977
wewillwint
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeaforThree View Post
Exactly, Mike Davis also comes to mind as someone who showed pretty much nothing his first year as an unheralded recruit and then burst onto the seen after.

I distinctly remember that after the orange and blue SCRIMMAGE Mav's freshman year the multiple posts on Loyalty about how Mav was never going to see the floor/should look to transfer out etc. and this was after the preseason scrimmage. Good to see that Loyalty hasn't changed haha
Davis was unnecessarily criticized about his rebounding skills. "Lucky rebounds". Kid was a good player. Would have loved to have him this past year.
wewillwint is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:12 AM   #1978
jmilt7
I think this player was mentioned on this board:

Wisconsin Basketball: Badgers to host Samford transfer Wyatt Walker

https://bustingbrackets.com/2018/04/...sit-wisconsin/

Apparently he has narrowed his choice to three, Wisconsin, NCSt and OkST
jmilt7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:12 AM   #1979
Dren1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockillini View Post
Let's regroup on the latest regarding recruiting since a lot has happened in the last few days:

Today we have an in-home with Okoro. I'm sure we'll get a better picture after this visit and will impact the strategy of the prospects listed below.

Maurice Calloo. Is he still visiting this weekend? If so, is it an official or unofficial?

Blake Hinson. Is he still visiting the following weekend?

Bryce Golden is visiting Syracuse this weekend. Has anyone heard anything related to a possible visit here? Maybe it depends on if he gets our of Syracuse alive.

Did I miss anyone or anything else related to rounding out this recruiting class?
I realize he is a 2019 recruit, but it has been reported that the staff has an In-Home with Khalil Whitney next Thursday.
Dren1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:16 AM   #1980
jmilt7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tevo View Post
When he was a kid, he was fond of fishing and pastry. His grandfather was a watchmaker's apprentice who saved his money to move his family from Georgia to Austria, to avoid the war. Giorgi had a hard time at first, not speaking the language, and especially because he was taller than his classmates. Children can be cruel to outsiders and to kids who stick out. Sadly, Giorgi was both. But he was a fun-loving kid with a quick smile, and a penchant for silly faces, and Monty Python skits. Once given a chance, he became something of an attraction on the playground, a veritable one-man show of silly walks, clown-like antics and faces and voices to match.

The teachers noticed, too, but especially, Tobias Boll, the young Mathematics teacher who also coached the boys basketball team. He saw in young Giorgi an energetic and physically dextrous child, who also happened to be 6' tall in 7th grade.

Tobias approached the boy, but Giorgi wasn't sure; when it came to sports, he preferred football and darts. But the football coaches always put him in the goal, and the darts coaches were all drunkards, as darts coaches are. Basketball had never been a consideration in his small town, though of course he had heard of greats like Otar Korkia and Levan Moseshvili, who had won medals with the Soviet teams. Even as he started to grow, he hadn't considered basketball as a option.

Tobias got the boy to practice, and showed him some funadmental drills, and the connection was immediate. Giorgi thrived in the freedom that basketball offered, and his flexibility, long arms and quick feet all worked to his advantage. And after every practice, Tobias had a box of fresh kada, purchased from a speciality bakery. Oh, Girogi loved those days, and finally felt settled in: silly games on the playground, basketball practice after school, and fresh kada while sitting under the giant beech tree, staring at the distant alps.

Or, at least I assume it went something like that...
And he lived happily ever after after a successful Illini basketball career and two NCAA championships.

Excellent post. (I'm still behind on reading these posts hence why I am late responding)
jmilt7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:17 AM   #1981
Illiniguy13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wewillwint View Post
Davis was unnecessarily criticized about his rebounding skills. "Lucky rebounds". Kid was a good player. Would have loved to have him this past year.
Davis turned out to be the 5th overall pick in the 2012 D-league draft and has had a cup of tea with the Reno Bighorns and Westchester Knicks. On another note, Egwu is now in the G-league. Proud of him. Back to recruiting...
Illiniguy13 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:33 AM   #1982
GolfFan1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dren1 View Post
I realize he is a 2019 recruit, but it has been reported that the staff has an In-Home with Khalil Whitney next Thursday.
Trying to guess who is coming. We might as well forget it. Anyone hear of Andres Feliz, Samba Kane, Georgie Whats-his-name or Alan Griffin, not really. Now Griffin is Mr. BBall in NY and Samba is not a project according to Brad U. I thought for sure we had no chance of getting Tevian Jones. This is the best class since Deron and Dee. Have faith in the staff. They are getting it done.
GolfFan1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:43 AM   #1983
hankmardukas
Just saw Oshae brisset is returning to Syracuse, I wonder if this will help us with Bryce golden

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hankmardukas is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:02 AM   #1984
Tevo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFameProtector View Post
Malcom's shot was a bit low and he was a bit slow too, but it worked most of the time due to craftiness. I think Ayo (and Tevian) will take some time to adjust to the speed of defenses, but both have a jumper that isn't broken and just needs strength and skill to raise the release point.
But Malcolm also had a crazy effective step-back, fade-away jumper that was exclaimed over by every new announcer that did one of our games. It's not a skill that many guys have or develop. So we can remove him from the set of "low, slow" release guys that we use for comparison.
Tevo is online now Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:05 AM   #1985
BananaShampoo
Captain 'Paign
Quote:
Indeed. He was a fantastic rebounder. If I recall he led the conference (or was at least second) as a Junior at over 9 boards per game. I think it's because was not a "banger" that he was often criticized.

Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:12 AM   #1986
NBB1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeaforThree View Post
Exactly, Mike Davis also comes to mind as someone who showed pretty much nothing his first year as an unheralded recruit and then burst onto the scene after.

I'm glad Mav didn't transfer - but I certainly remember many thought that he was the big that would transfer out - and Colbert was going to stay.

Go Illini
NBB1979 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:13 AM   #1987
Ga65
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilt7 View Post
I think this player was mentioned on this board:

Wisconsin Basketball: Badgers to host Samford transfer Wyatt Walker

https://bustingbrackets.com/2018/04/...sit-wisconsin/

Apparently he has narrowed his choice to three, Wisconsin, NCSt and OkST
Would have loved to have him. Wouldn't have missed Black if we had him.
Ga65 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:17 AM   #1988
Newman
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockillini View Post
Relationship with Ayo
Staff has spent a lot of time on him
He has expressed interest in us in the past
He is right down the Interstate
That last part is less significant for national recruits. These kids are also friends with players all over the country Time spent from the staff is overrated by our fanbase.

Players like Okoro care about playing time, winning, and the resources to get him to the next level. Everything else is a tier below in significance. We have one check mark but everything else is not certain despite our sales pitch.
Newman is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:19 AM   #1989
jcgoldie
Quote:
Originally Posted by SescIllini View Post
If we lose Okoro to Oregon somebody in our staff dropped the ball. The only excuse is if behind the scenes the staff now prefer a big with more of shooting ability.
OR...he may not have been too impressed with our 14-18 season.
jcgoldie is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:21 AM   #1990
Gunner23
Quote:
Yeah, people used to criticize him for getting easy rebounds on opponent's FT misses. Classic...
Gunner23 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:35 AM   #1991
IndyILL
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWilson25 View Post
Please for the love of God don't ask him to 'explain' anything. Needs an editor more than the Illini need an experienced 5.
This!!!
IndyILL is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:38 AM   #1992
illini64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tevo View Post
But Malcolm also had a crazy effective step-back, fade-away jumper that was exclaimed over by every new announcer that did one of our games. It's not a skill that many guys have or develop. So we can remove him from the set of "low, slow" release guys that we use for comparison.
Any skill/athletic area that Malcolm lacked, was overcome by one of the greatest hearts ever in an Illini uniform.
illini64 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:39 AM   #1993
IndyILL
Quote:
Originally Posted by NScale View Post
I know this is meant as a hypothetical, but in my reality Josh Whitman has made big time hires and knows Illinois is building programs and cultures from the ground up. These hires are not a mistake constantly teetering on the brink. They and Josh are in for the long haul.
Yep... have to agree with you on this~!
IndyILL is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:47 AM   #1994
rockillini
Golden down to four: Illinois, Butler, Syracuse and Georgetown. He's moving faster than Mr. Ramey narrowing his choices down.

https://twitter.com/coreyevans_10/st...48408195289089

Last edited by rockillini; Apr 13, 2018 at 11:53 AM.
rockillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:52 AM   #1995
BRucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJim20 View Post
There was a quote from Mack that he could talk about Ramey and Simmons because they are not recruting them. Which begs the question, what if Ramey really WAS interested in Louisville? Would they have to bow out? Would the NCAA do anything?
lol, thanks for bringing a little levity into my day.
BRucks is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:54 AM   #1996
Second and Chalmers
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJim20 View Post
There was a quote from Mack that he could talk about Ramey and Simmons because they are not recruting them. Which begs the question, what if Ramey really WAS interested in Louisville? Would they have to bow out? Would the NCAA do anything?
Nah, that's a self-reported secondary violation don't do it again sort of thing. Especially given the context. It's not exactly a competitive advantage to go public saying you're not interested in a recruit by name.
Second and Chalmers is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:55 AM   #1997
wewillwint
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyILL View Post
Yep... have to agree with you on this~!
+2
wewillwint is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:56 AM   #1998
IntenselyOrange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner23 View Post
Yeah, people used to criticize him for getting easy rebounds on opponent's FT misses. Classic...
I think it's mostly a matter of perspective. The guys of that time played immediately after a great run of success for our program. If we were to see similar production today, we would be ecstatic.
IntenselyOrange is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2018, 12:21 PM   #1999
illini80
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntenselyOrange View Post
I think it's mostly a matter of perspective. The guys of that time played immediately after a great run of success for our program. If we were to see similar production today, we would be ecstatic.
True. Oh how the mighty have fallen.
illini80 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2018, 12:36 PM   #2000
NeaforThree
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntenselyOrange View Post
So true, we could really use a Shaun Pruitt right now, free throw shooting and all lol
NeaforThree is offline Reply With Quote