Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Old May 11, 2018, 10:19 AM   #651
TownieMatt
CU Expat
I admire Piper's professionalism in that he typically ignores the Schmidt's of the world, but he must not have been able to resist this time. Any credibility Schmidt had as a reliable source of Illini recruiting information has surely died with this Okoro saga.
TownieMatt is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2018, 10:24 AM   #652
Calvin
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRhino View Post
For those still discussing the rumored visit (and not willing or able to click on the link's above), Okoro's Snapchat seems to show that he is currently in Georgia.
Why would he commit to Georgia? Thought he was a silent verbal to Butler. How do these rumors get started anyway?!?
Calvin is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2018, 10:26 AM   #653
Dan
Admin
I'm told that 2020 @C_Hill_Bball guard Alec Oglesby (@thathooperalec) is on the #Illini campus for an unofficial visit. Antigua recruit. Recently visited Wake Forest.
https://twitter.com/DPiper247/status/994976485873242125
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2018, 10:26 AM   #654
TownieMatt
CU Expat

Dude looks nothing like Okoro [cry laughing face]
TownieMatt is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2018, 10:29 AM   #655
Illini B-Ball Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
Why would he commit to Georgia? Thought he was a silent verbal to Butler. How do these rumors get started anyway?!?
North of the state line has it as either WI or MO, we'll see come Mother's Day, though. Regardless, hopefully the UI visit goes well for Okboro.

Old May 11, 2018, 10:34 AM   #656
drewillini89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini B-Ball Fan View Post
North of the state line has it as either WI or MO, we'll see come Mother's Day, though. Regardless, hopefully the UI visit goes well for Okboro.
Yeah, Okboro is visiting campus today, not Okoro.
drewillini89 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2018, 10:36 AM   #657
coryfor3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I'm told that 2020 @C_Hill_Bball guard Alec Oglesby (@thathooperalec) is on the #Illini campus for an unofficial visit. Antigua recruit. Recently visited Wake Forest.
https://twitter.com/DPiper247/status/994976485873242125
Interesting recruitment so far. I suppose he has a ways to go in the process but looks like visits to Wake Forest and ......High Point recently. High Point...I suppose has Tubby Smith and....uh...well, yeah.
coryfor3 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2018, 10:39 AM   #658
Goldtop
Maybe the Illini staff are having a visit with Okoro in Georgia.
Goldtop is online now Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2018, 10:44 AM   #659
BananaShampoo
Captain 'Paign
Quote:
It's annoying how everyone keeps misspelling Mr. Francis Ogboro's name. I'm still not sure why we are recruiting him, though, unless he plans to leave Nigeria to become coach of the new Illini D1 Polo team given his experience as Chairman of the Nigerian Polo Federation.

http://sunnewsonline.com/2016-kaduna...idential-seat/

http://www.thecapital.ng/?p=14278

Old May 11, 2018, 10:44 AM   #660
WhiteRhino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldtop View Post
Maybe the Illini staff are having a visit with Okoro in Georgia.
Maybe Schmidt heard that Okoro was meeting with the Illinois staff and assumed that it was in Champaign?
WhiteRhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2018, 10:50 AM   #661
tpbradley
Quote:
Mother's Day bodes well for us cuz moms love Groce. Wait a second.
tpbradley is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2018, 10:52 AM   #662
DudeIllini
DudeIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2018, 11:18 AM   #663
haasi
Presumably staff told Okoro to go almost to Florida Ave and he got confused

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
haasi is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2018, 11:25 AM   #664
foby
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewillini89 View Post
Yeah, Okboro is visiting campus today, not Okoro.

Hopefully Damone is showing him a good time.
foby is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2018, 11:26 AM   #665
Illini B-Ball Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaShampoo View Post
It's annoying how everyone keeps misspelling Mr. Francis Ogboro's name. I'm still not sure why we are recruiting him, though, unless he plans to leave Nigeria to become coach of the new Illini D1 Polo team given his experience as Chairman of the Nigerian Polo Federation.

http://sunnewsonline.com/2016-kaduna...idential-seat/

http://www.thecapital.ng/?p=14278
Do we have enough slots left for Ogboro, Okboro, and Okoro? Someone might have to redshirt, leave, or get creaned.

Old May 11, 2018, 11:41 AM   #666
Hoppy2105
Quote:
Do we have enough slots left for Ogboro, Okboro, and Okoro? Someone might have to redshirt, leave, or get creaned.
Luther Head will pay their way.

Also, I think this probably wraps things up right? Unless Stu hears something different?

/.............|.............\
/...............|...............\
Hoppy2105 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2018, 12:36 PM   #667
nichi
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRhino View Post
Maybe Schmidt heard that Okoro was meeting with the Illinois staff and assumed that it was in Champaign?
Schmidt says it was just a false alarm. He appears to blaming some bad information. Meanwhile he is sticking with his initial prediction. Not the most tactful fellow, but says what he's thinking.
nichi is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2018, 12:38 PM   #668
ChiefIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichi View Post
Schmidt says it was just a false alarm. He appears to blaming some bad information. Meanwhile he is sticking with his initial prediction. Not the most tactful fellow, but says what he's thinking.
As in Okoro is an Illini by the start of next year?
ChiefIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2018, 12:41 PM   #669
SergioKittner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichi View Post
He keeps saying that no one really knows and thatís how Okoroís camp wants it. And he said all along he may not visit Illini and that doesnít mean he wonít commit to them. I donít know where he gets his information but he makes me believe he was told something either by the family or a direct contact to the family (Ayoís family?) (not a college coaching staff member or other recruiting guru).
SergioKittner is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2018, 02:00 PM   #670
Calvin
Does Okoro have an announcement time/day set?
Calvin is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2018, 02:25 PM   #671
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
Does Okoro have an announcement time/day set?
A few posters on here have said Monday, but it sounded a bit soft. The answer is probably "not yet, but looming"

Old May 11, 2018, 03:01 PM   #672
Illini in OC
Quote:
Originally Posted by foby View Post
... hopefully not TOO good of a time
Attached Thumbnails (click for larger image)
(6.6 KB, 458 views)

Illini in OC is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2018, 04:30 PM   #673
RIVERCITYCHIEF
Just texted my best friend from B/N and he works in athletics with all the high schools in the area and ISU. Especailly ones wanting advanced truly professional sports specific acceleration specific training. He said "Francis didnt want his final visit to Illinois. It looks like he is a Duck." Oh well...That Sucks!...Exactly like Bates Diop ....never had a good vibe there...I wont be one who's opinion changes on his talent or potential. I wish he was gonna be an Illini. ...I wont act like we couldnt use him. It sucks losing such gifted athletes so close to CU. There are always more fish in the sea but it's tough when the fish are everything but in our basket.
Never know but it's not looking very likely.

Last edited by RIVERCITYCHIEF; May 11, 2018 at 04:44 PM.
RIVERCITYCHIEF is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2018, 05:54 PM   #674
skyIdub
Winged Warrior
Quote:
Originally Posted by foby View Post
skyIdub is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2018, 06:35 PM   #675
FC Illiniman
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioKittner View Post
He keeps saying that no one really knows and thatís how Okoroís camp wants it. And he said all along he may not visit Illini and that doesnít mean he wonít commit to them. I donít know where he gets his information but he makes me believe he was told something either by the family or a direct contact to the family (Ayoís family?) (not a college coaching staff member or other recruiting guru).
Find all insider info in this situation is pretty much BS. FO has been pretty close to vest on all this recruitment, and seems like the only thing we do know, he continues to play, working on his game. Not heard jack squat about any of reclassification , it's not really anybody's business. Saw a post on OU board , they not sure he will even be able to reclassify. Again, more BS , what do they know, have they seen his transcripts?

FO posting that all 3 schools still in mix. That's good enough for me, when he's ready to commit guess he will tell us. Found it real funny Piper had to eat crow, because he really isn't doing his homework, just being a parrot of others , guessing of the outcome.

Glad FO is playing this weekend, hope he does well. For him to play at next level, the more he plays the more improvement he makes. The people I know in Normal know people who consider themselves friendly with FO, they have said no one will know his decision till he makes it. That's just his family way. I respect that.

Our staff is still making zero moves on a big man , or at least we are hearing nothing. Gives me impression they are in holding pattern. We heard May 16 the as a date needed for him to reclassify, why this date?. Last year Bagley, decide to reclassify in August, he was on court for first game for Duke to play. Is there any reason why this can't happen here too?
The Instagram post said one thing to me, Okoro has made his choice, it's gets between 3 schools, and he holds the only crystal ball. He will let you know when he's ready!
FC Illiniman is offline Reply With Quote