Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Bruce Weber at Kansas State - Chester Frazier hired as assistant at KSU

Closed Thread

Old May 18, 2012, 04:48 PM   #401
Indicchief
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
What makes you think Weber offered Price a coaching position? Everything I've read indicates Price has not been offered an assistant coaching position and was perhaps offered an administrative support position.

I think Weber has a better staff at KSU than he had at Illinois. Lowery didn't cut it as a head coach, but he was a very good assistant. We all wanted Weber to hire Frazier at Illinois. And Brooks brings strong TX recruiting connections. I don't see a Jerrance Howard type recruiter but here is no dead weight (McClain) and no personality issues (Price).
April 5, 2012 :: Weber's patience pays off at KSU

Quote:
Weber offered at least one assistant position to a member of Martin's staff but was turned down. He hired former SIU head coach and his former assistant Chris Lowery. He said he will likely mix in some members of his former Illinois staff, but is waiting for answers including from top assistant Jay Price. But he needs to know sooner than later so he can move in another direction if need be. Weber said he will hire an assistant with different recruiting contacts, notably Texas ties.
IIIRC, it was only after Klee made a remark on April 11th or the 12th that Price was or may have been considered for a DoBO or video.
Old May 18, 2012, 06:20 PM   #402
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indicchief View Post
April 5, 2012 :: Weber's patience pays off at KSU

IIIRC, it was only after Klee made a remark on April 11th or the 12th that Price was or may have been considered for a DoBO or video.
I'm confused as to the point you are trying to make. Yes there was a rumor that Price was offered an admin support position at KSU. As to the suggestion that he was offered an assistant coach position, that is rather hard to believe don't you think? Price would have snapped up that offer in a heart beat as he is not likely to receive as good an offer from anyone else.

Old May 18, 2012, 09:27 PM   #403
DaytonIllini
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
I'm confused as to the point you are trying to make. Yes there was a rumor that Price was offered an admin support position at KSU. As to the suggestion that he was offered an assistant coach position, that is rather hard to believe don't you think? Price would have snapped up that offer in a heart beat as he is not likely to receive as good an offer from anyone else.
You wouldn't be waiting on an answer for an administrative assistant and holding up offers to others for assistant coaching positions. I don't know that the quote indi posted is factual but if it is, he clearly offered Price a job as an asst coach.
Old May 18, 2012, 10:02 PM   #404
OrangeFever
Banned
It would be something of a surprise if Weber offered Price an assistant position, but not altogether surprising. I've a hunch sitting on Weber's bench isn't considered a plum job. Jerrance, the star in waiting headed elsewhere. Bruce brings in Chet, as a first-time assistant, but connected to him. Those who have observed Weber in action might not be real excited about being under his thumb.
Old May 19, 2012, 02:17 AM   #405
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
You wouldn't be waiting on an answer for an administrative assistant and holding up offers to others for assistant coaching positions. I don't know that the quote indi posted is factual but if it is, he clearly offered Price a job as an asst coach.
Available evidence (e.g. Klee, circumstances) suggest that the quote is NOT factual. It certainly wouldn't be the first time someone got a rumor wrong. And I don't think Price was holding up anything. Weber was trying to land Howard and he attempted to get someone with KSU ties, but I find it very hard to believe that Price turned down a good job given that he has few options available.

Old May 23, 2012, 09:09 PM   #406
HoopBoss
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFever View Post
It would be something of a surprise if Weber offered Price an assistant position, but not altogether surprising. I've a hunch sitting on Weber's bench isn't considered a plum job. Jerrance, the star in waiting headed elsewhere. Bruce brings in Chet, as a first-time assistant, but connected to him. Those who have observed Weber in action might not be real excited about being under his thumb.

You hit the nail right on the head. Chester, OK - he may not know better.

But, if Price follows Bruce to be yet another Assistantat.......... whoa, what a dope. That would be a pitiful move on his part (In my opinion).

Old May 24, 2012, 03:13 AM   #407
AzIlliniFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopBoss View Post
You hit the nail right on the head. Chester, OK - he may not know better.

But, if Price follows Bruce to be yet another Assistantat.......... whoa, what a dope. That would be a pitiful move on his part (In my opinion).

Chester is young and at this point shows potential, and BW is the first major D1 coach to give him an opportunity to grow and learn. Price on the other hand has had his day and is now at a point where he has likely maximized his potential.

I am of the opinion that Price is no better than an assistant at a D1 college. Illinois was perhaps the pinnacle of his success at that level and he now realizes this and that is why it appears he may be exploring 'other options'.
Old May 24, 2012, 03:46 AM   #408
illinicb
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzIlliniFan View Post
I am of the opinion that Price is no better than an assistant at a D1 college. Illinois was perhaps the pinnacle of his success at that level and he now realizes this and that is why it appears he may be exploring 'other options'.
Unless, you are going to be a head coach, being an assistant at a D1 school is the pinnacle for all coaches. Nothing wrong with that.
Old May 24, 2012, 06:19 AM   #409
DaytonIllini
Banned
Klee said the offer to Price was the DOBO. McClain currently sitting on an offer from Weber in some capacity.
Old May 24, 2012, 10:03 AM   #410
MTILLINOIS
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
Klee said the offer to Price was the DOBO. McClain currently sitting on an offer from Weber in some capacity.
Did McClain moving into the Administration at Illinois not pan out?
Old May 24, 2012, 10:10 AM   #411
AzIlliniFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinicb View Post
Unless, you are going to be a head coach, being an assistant at a D1 school is the pinnacle for all coaches. Nothing wrong with that.
Since you threw 'Unless' in there your statement is true. But I didn't use that qualifier. Price, or any other coach for that matter, would have 2 or 3 additional steps beyond his role at Illinois before anyone would consider him as reaching the 'pinnacle' of D1 college coaching. I was merely stating that he may have reached his ceiling based on his capabilities and how those in position to hire him perceive his future potential.
Old May 24, 2012, 04:46 PM   #412
Indicchief
Banned
On the topic of Jay Price to KSU as an assistant coach, the logic defies what was reported pre-11th (the Klee talk of DoBO). However, there were three separate reporters who stated pretty much the same thing. I had posted one earlier, here is another and for the life of me I cannot find the third!!

Weber’s less-abrasive approach popular with K-State players

Quote:
Weber is working toward that mission with a limited staff. Former Southern Illinois coach Chris Lowery is on campus, helping as an assistant, but Weber doesn’t expect the rest of his coaching staff to be hired until the end of the week at the earliest. Former Illinois strength and conditioning coach Jimmy Price is expected to begin working at K-State on Monday.

Weber said he has been in contact with his former Illinois assistants Jerrence Howard and Jay Price about joining him in Manhattan but wasn’t sure whether they would do so. Another possibility is North Texas assistant coach Shawn Forrest. He was in Manhattan on Wednesday observing practice and would bring Texas recruiting ties that Weber has listed as a priority.
Two item of interest: 1) It is Jay Price and Howard in the same sentence, and 2) it implies an assistant position.

I suspect here is what happened. Weberspeak. He said things that he realllllly did not mean. I suspect he had Jay Price as DoBO in mind, but was not clear in expressing that until some time around the 10th.

So, my assumption is that the reporters were right, just that Coach Weber was not as right, until the 9th, 10th, 11th or so.

Which is PERHAPS why Jay price did not "jump" at that "offer". The rest is history.

Last edited by Indicchief; May 24, 2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old May 24, 2012, 05:55 PM   #413
illinicb
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzIlliniFan View Post
Since you threw 'Unless' in there your statement is true. But I didn't use that qualifier. Price, or any other coach for that matter, would have 2 or 3 additional steps beyond his role at Illinois before anyone would consider him as reaching the 'pinnacle' of D1 college coaching. I was merely stating that he may have reached his ceiling based on his capabilities and how those in position to hire him perceive his future potential.
No doubt he may have reached his ceiling, which may be true of many of us. In my mind, I throw all the assistants in the same class and while every staff probably has some level of hierarchy, actual or perceived, they are all second tier players to the guy at the top. I have no idea what the former Illinois staff members did, good or bad, but they likely would all be more attractive to outsiders if the program was winning. your last sentence is spot on. I remember hearing a phrase once that hit home with me..."perception is reality".
Old May 24, 2012, 05:57 PM   #414
illinicb
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTILLINOIS View Post
Did McClain moving into the Administration at Illinois not pan out?
I thought that was a done deal, but perhaps not. Based on what little i know of Wayne and having spent some time with him at camps, I am a big fan and think he would be a potential asset at UIUC in several areas.
Old May 25, 2012, 08:33 AM   #415
Orangetool
I was disappointed to see how Chester Frazier bolted from his German team in the middle of a playoff run to join Webbie at K State. Unless he sees joining Bruce now as his only in to future coaching, I would think he would want to extend his playing career, and make better money, for as long as he can.

It may be hard for him to preach committment, team, loyalty etc. as a coach if this move gets thrown in his face down the road.

Old May 25, 2012, 08:42 AM   #416
NorthwesternIllini4
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetool View Post
I was disappointed to see how Chester Frazier bolted from his German team in the middle of a playoff run to join Webbie at K State. Unless he sees joining Bruce now as his only in to future coaching, I would think he would want to extend his playing career, and make better money, for as long as he can.

It may be hard for him to preach committment, team, loyalty etc. as a coach if this move gets thrown in his face down the road.
Not to nitpick, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Chester would join Weber after his team's season finished. If someone has an article saying otherwise, I'm happy to be proven wrong though
Old May 25, 2012, 08:52 AM   #417
OrangeFever
Banned
Quote:

This is the world we live in. Chet snatched up what he thought was the better opportunity for himself.

For an inexperienced young coaching candidate to get an opportunity to be a D1 assistant would be enticing, to say the least. Chet surely sees his basketball future in coaching.

Weber probably put a string on the offer, because he couldn't wait indefinitely to complete his staff.

I can't imagine Chet or Jay Price or Wayne have other attractive options, if any, in coaching. They don't strike me as hot commodities in the coaching ranks. Of Weber's Illinois staff, only JH had a prominent reputation, and he took another job, evidently considering SMU under Brown a superior opportunity to another gig under Weber, though KSU unquestionably is the better program. The money at SMU might have been a draw--I imagine they had to pay impressively to get Brown and let him build his staff. I also suspect JH may have seen Weber as a lid on his career, an assessment with which I would agree if that's how he felt. None of Weber's Illinois staff was hired away from him. The Weber "coaching tree" may be more like a shrub.

Weber's performance in putting his KSU staff together is typical of his nature. He is trying to surround himself with the same people. This should strike fear in the hearts of the KSU faithful, as further evidence that Weber is unchanged and will duplicate his approach at Illinois. Creature of habit to the utmost.

What administrative post at Illinois is McClain rumored to be in the running for? I like WM and agree he could be an asset in Champaign.

Last edited by OrangeFever; May 25, 2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old May 25, 2012, 09:58 AM   #418
scubadunk
Quote:

Chester did not leave his team. The article about him getting hired clearly states that he would join KSU after his teams season is over.
Old May 25, 2012, 10:31 AM   #419
OrangeFever
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadunk View Post
Chester did not leave his team. The article about him getting hired clearly states that he would join KSU after his teams season is over.
Thanks for that clarification. Good to hear!
Old May 25, 2012, 12:24 PM   #420
MTILLINOIS
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFever View Post
What administrative post at Illinois is McClain rumored to be in the running for? I like WM and agree he could be an asset in Champaign.
I'm not sure either. There was an article that talked when Self left, McClain stayed to keep help keep the team together and he was assured he's have a job at the university after basketball. I believe Klee mentioned he was looking for something in the Administration department (not sure what that is) after Weber was let go.

I to like Wayne. I don't think he gets enough credit for his support to the program. I don't think he's dead weight. He ran practice and kept that team together behind the scenes.
Old May 25, 2012, 01:28 PM   #421
IL2000
Banned
Quote:
False. He did leave the team in the middle of their postseason.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-...GlvbnM-;_ylv=3
Old May 25, 2012, 01:35 PM   #422
Orangetool
Quote:
Not sure what article you refer to. If you go to NBCSports.com you will see one of several available articles re his leaving mid playoffs.

Don't get me wrong, I always liked him as a player, just thought this was a bad move.

Old May 25, 2012, 01:36 PM   #423
orangekrush117
Banned
Quote:
Yes he did, and I heard that Weber told him to stay and finish his season. I'm not sure of the motivation behind quitting.

Quote:
"We are disappointed that Chester Frazier has decided to leave the s.Oliver Baskets at this crucial stage of the season," managing director Jochen Bähr said in a statement later translated into English. "At the time of his commitment, it was not clear that we would get this far in the playoffs. We had agreed with Chester that he will remain at least until the end of the semifinal series against Ulm. Why he has decided to go back now already to the U.S., he has not informed us."
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-...GlvbnM-;_ylv=3
Old May 25, 2012, 02:02 PM   #424
CrazedUIFan
UI Fan in QC Land
I think judging from Chester's tweets, there is a lot more to this story than what is being reported. All I can say is he has to do what is best for him. He indicates without coming out and saying it that the claims about him being disloyal to his team are ironic since these Euro teams show very little loyalty to players. He also indicated that players sometimes don't get paid on a regular basis. This isn't the first time a player overseas has said that. It happens very frequently in some of the leagues there. Why this is such a big deal I don't understand.
Old May 25, 2012, 02:45 PM   #425
AzIlliniFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedUIFan View Post
I think judging from Chester's tweets, there is a lot more to this story than what is being reported. All I can say is he has to do what is best for him. He indicates without coming out and saying it that the claims about him being disloyal to his team are ironic since these Euro teams show very little loyalty to players. He also indicated that players sometimes don't get paid on a regular basis. This isn't the first time a player overseas has said that. It happens very frequently in some of the leagues there. Why this is such a big deal I don't understand.
It's no big deal to me. Most of the lesser leagues over there do not pay well at all nor do they pay on time as noted. And the travel conditions there are far from optimal as well. Lots of long bus rides and budget hotels. I also have no clue as to how they handle playoff winnings and what his role on the team was. I can't fault a guy for going from that environment to one much more comfortable for him and perhaps a bigger paycheck. Who knows how many other personal issues played into this. Is he married, kids, girlfriend... I don't know. There are likely many other important things that factored into his decision. Plus as an assistant I'd also guess he can be out recruiting as soon as he returns.

In a nutshell to label the guy a quitter solely based on his leaving the team without knowing all the parameters is assinine. (I chose to not capitalize the first 3 letters of that last word since it got me a week off recently last time I did it. :laugh: I'm a quick learner Dan!)
Closed Thread