Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illini Basketball 2018-2019

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:37 AM   #76
FeelYourPaign
FeelYourPaign's Avatar
Location: Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tophe View Post
The prediction is for MSU to go 15-5 in the B1G, Rutgers to go 5-15, and everyone else in a logjam from 12-8 to 8-12.
Interesting that they predict 8.6 NCAA tourney teams, with odds from 99.7% (MSU) to 33.7% for Illinois and then on down to 0.2% for Rutgers.
Pretty balanced and strong conference would be the thinking

__________________
Life will only change when you become more committed to your dreams than to your comfort zone.
FeelYourPaign is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:47 AM   #77
Newman
Newman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by haasi View Post
This would be a really nice step forward, especially if there are signs of real progress as the season goes on. Any higher than that (ie bubble territory) and I will be ecstatic.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If we were to have that record, I would be shocked if we weren't ranked heading into the next season. I don't know if we'll be able to have that much success and quick turn around but that would be impressive. Probably still on the wrong side of the bubble but being on the bubble itself would be nice next year.
Newman is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:28 PM   #78
Ga65
They predict a 2 pt improvement in offensive eff. And a 1 pt improvement in defensive eff. Curious when we lost our most efficient scorer. Must think our 3pt avg will improve. Still think our largest opportunity for improvement is on the defensive end. Ebo/Kane a plus over Finke/Ebo, Kipper/GBez(or ?)=Black/Kipper, AJ/Jones = Alstork/AJ, Ayo/DaMonte a huge plus over Smith/DaMonte, and TF/Felix = TJL/TF. Ebo had two less blocked shots than the team leader last year with limited minutes and Kane should be at least as effective as Ebo was last year. That should make everyone more effective.

Last edited by Ga65; Apr 23, 2018 at 12:32 PM.
Ga65 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:28 PM   #79
Second and Chalmers
Second and Chalmers's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
If we were to have that record, I would be shocked if we weren't ranked heading into the next season.
Second and Chalmers is online now Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:36 PM   #80
Newman
Newman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second and Chalmers View Post
I could have worded it in a better way but if we win close to 20 games and have close to a .500 record in conference play, I think most would view us having a tremendous season the following year since we have such a young team and are only losing Jordan.
Newman is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2018, 01:22 PM   #81
haasi
haasi's Avatar
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
I could have worded it in a better way but if we win close to 20 games and have close to a .500 record in conference play, I think most would view us having a tremendous season the following year since we have such a young team and are only losing Jordan.


Agree. Obviously depends on season trajectory, development of players, and 2019 recruiting, but if our RPI is in the 50s next year with frosh Ayo, Soph Trent, junior Kipper, and a bunch of other mostly young guys, Id be very optimistic about 2019-20.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
haasi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2018, 02:15 PM   #82
ChiefIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by haasi View Post
Agree. Obviously depends on season trajectory, development of players, and 2019 recruiting, but if our RPI is in the 50s next year with frosh Ayo, Soph Trent, junior Kipper, and a bunch of other mostly young guys, Id be very optimistic about 2019-20.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Assuming we dont have another 7 scholarships to fill in that cycle...
ChiefIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2018, 03:40 PM   #83
Tevo
Location: Wilmette, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by haasi View Post
Maybe its the thousand nutpunches and 12 years of wandering in the basketball desert, but I really hate optimistic prognostications based on offseason reports. Hope Damonte is awesome next year, but I always advocate Ill believe it when I see it
Two words: Jason. Kidd.
Tevo is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2018, 04:14 PM   #84
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tevo View Post
Two words: Jason. Kidd.
OMG. just a classic!!
TCTORNADO is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2018, 04:27 PM   #85
yeahyeahyeah
Quote:
Originally Posted by winthiscentury View Post
I agree with you 100% about being positive. That said, being positive and supportive doesn't mean putting unrealistic expectations on the kids nor the coach. To the contrary....being supportive and positive is giving them room and time to grow. This team has more new faces than returning faces.....most of them being true freshman. Anyone thinking that they are going to win more than they lose in conference isn't being realistic. Hopeful and wishful, yes, but realistic, not so much.

That just my opinion, but I'm hoping and wishing that I'll be surprised.
20 PPG
yeahyeahyeah is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2018, 04:43 PM   #86
yeahyeahyeah
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniinIowa View Post
We lost our best player (Hill) heading into last year and again lose our best player (Black) heading into next year. We're not going to be anywhere close to sniffing the NCAA tourney......but......I love the direction we're headed. We'll be a MUCH BETTER team at the end of next year than we will at the start and will return just about everyone for a tourney and hopefully Big Ten title run in 2020.
maybe this will make you feel better....

last year we had 4 players returning from the year before, this year we have 6

that's 6 players who have played in BU's system, versus 0 the year before...that's 6 players who can help lead the new players in how to play in a new system, vs 0 last year.

last year we had 3 new assistant coaches to BU's system, this year we have 3 experienced ones
yeahyeahyeah is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2018, 04:47 PM   #87
yeahyeahyeah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga65 View Post
BU made the wise decision to hire assistants who would be valuable recruiters unlike JG who just brought his assistants with him. The downside was he had to teach his assistants as well as the players his system. Hopefully that should go faster as he has core players as well as his assistants with experience. Tyler, AJ, etc. can help the new players over the summer. Also not sure it isn't easier to teach from the start than change an existing system. This learning curve rate will determine our success this year IMO. He will have more raw talent if he can get them in sync.
I definitely think that contributed to last year's difficulties. As I just posted before reading this
yeahyeahyeah is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2018, 04:53 PM   #88
yeahyeahyeah
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC Illiniman View Post
I believe that this is the main thing that proves that the recruits that are incoming will have a good chance to be better than the players they're replacing. Although Black was a good scorer , his defense was not the best, and the fact he couldn't stay on floor because of foul issues, on a regular basis. Liked LB alot, but not sure why all think he won't be easily replaced.
With the guards coming in, AJ, DMW, Trent and Kipper will provide fire power from perimeter, our issues will be on the interior. Ebo and Matic will need to step up. Ebo I think will make large strides , Matic will have to show something, or be replace by whomever, Bez or Golden(Okoro) in 4 . Samba will need time to fit in, but I'm sure he will play alot. Kipper will be a key , but he will need to be consistent. Too many times BU has needed him to be the man and was lost in space. This can't happen. Jones will pass him up , and will be sitting out.
Black leaving is not a terrible loss, Trent was a better defender, and his scoring will be replaced. Who will be the banger inside is yet to be determined. We have some time, a new faces to try and find a answer.
I also think, because Leron was the best scoring answer in terms of FG%, the ball would stop moving. I see the ball moving more and finding better scoring opportunities for the team as a whole.
yeahyeahyeah is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2018, 05:11 PM   #89
yeahyeahyeah
Quote:
Originally Posted by haasi View Post
Maybe its the thousand nutpunches and 12 years of wandering in the basketball desert, but I really hate optimistic prognostications based on offseason reports. Hope Damonte is awesome next year, but I always advocate Ill believe it when I see it


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it's a good point, though in contrast I've seen quite a few people dismiss him in the playing equation next year, the same goes with AJ... these two are going to be part of a one-two punch vs the opponents backcourt and will play well in all phases of the game
yeahyeahyeah is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2018, 05:50 PM   #90
Tacomallini
Location: Washington State
Honest question here, folks. According to the rbachhuber scholarship grid, we've got 2 walk-on vacancies. I'm assuming we'll dress two more walk-ons for games next season. Does anyone know how big the practice team pool is to pull from or anything else that sheds some light on this process? Very, very boring off season time to even be discussing this, but am curious. Thanks!
Tacomallini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2018, 06:39 PM   #91
tpbradley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomallini View Post
Honest question here, folks. According to the rbachhuber scholarship grid, we've got 2 walk-on vacancies. I'm assuming we'll dress two more walk-ons for games next season. Does anyone know how big the practice team pool is to pull from or anything else that sheds some light on this process? Very, very boring off season time to even be discussing this, but am curious. Thanks!
Has this been sent to Luther Head so he knows that he'll be paying for two more top recruits?
tpbradley is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2018, 07:16 PM   #92
Tevo
Location: Wilmette, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga65 View Post
They predict a 2 pt improvement in offensive eff. And a 1 pt improvement in defensive eff. Curious when we lost our most efficient scorer. Must think our 3pt avg will improve. Still think our largest opportunity for improvement is on the defensive end. Ebo/Kane a plus over Finke/Ebo, Kipper/GBez(or ?)=Black/Kipper, AJ/Jones = Alstork/AJ, Ayo/DaMonte a huge plus over Smith/DaMonte, and TF/Felix = TJL/TF. Ebo had two less blocked shots than the team leader last year with limited minutes and Kane should be at least as effective as Ebo was last year. That should make everyone more effective.
Have we forgotten the long, illustrious history of freshman looking lost and constantly fouling on defense? And comparing player to player seems to overlook the importance of chemistry in team defense.

I hope I'm surprised, but relying on freshman for solid team defense is usually even more silly than relying on them for solid team offense.
Tevo is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2018, 07:25 PM   #93
Newman
Newman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tevo View Post
Have we forgotten the long, illustrious history of freshman looking lost and constantly fouling on defense? And comparing player to player seems to overlook the importance of chemistry in team defense.

I hope I'm surprised, but relying on freshman for solid team defense is usually even more silly than relying on them for solid team offense.
It's not that we're relying on excellent defense from the freshman, but that the people that we lost, besides Black, were horrible defenders. We don't need all of the freshmen to be great defensively but Ayo will be a better defender than Smith and Kane will be better than Finke so I think that automatically makes us an improve defensive unit, when you add that the returners will improve defensively as well.
Newman is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2018, 08:34 PM   #94
Illini B-Ball Fan
Illini B-Ball Fan's Avatar
Location: Racine WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahyeahyeah View Post
maybe this will make you feel better....

last year we had 4 players returning from the year before, this year we have 6

that's 6 players who have played in BU's system, versus 0 the year before...that's 6 players who can help lead the new players in how to play in a new system, vs 0 last year.

last year we had 3 new assistant coaches to BU's system, this year we have 3 experienced ones
Make that 9 players who played in BU's system when you include the walk-ons. In fact, the one walk-on that last year's players looked up to quite a bit last year in practice was Tyler Underwood who knew the system the best.

__________________
Illini game plan - It's not how fast you play, it's how well you play fast.
Illini B-Ball Fan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2018, 08:37 PM   #95
Second and Chalmers
Second and Chalmers's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahyeahyeah View Post
last year we had 4 players returning from the year before, this year we have 6
That does actually make me feel slightly better.
Second and Chalmers is online now Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2018, 08:40 PM   #96
katytxillini
I agree that Alstork will be missed defensively and I'd rather have Leron here than gone. Yet I find myself cautiously optimistic regarding next year. We have so many more fouls to give at the 4/5 next year- I mean that in a good way.


We also are getting longer and quicker.

Offensively, we can't be worse can we? I know Black was our leading scorer and most efficient shooter, but if we can find 10 points at that spot I'm hopeful that gains everywhere will more than compensate. I'm talking myself into the idea that more shooters= more driving lanes= more FTs and better offense.
katytxillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2018, 08:40 PM   #97
Ga65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
It's not that we're relying on excellent defense from the freshman, but that the people that we lost, besides Black, were horrible defenders. We don't need all of the freshmen to be great defensively but Ayo will be a better defender than Smith and Kane will be better than Finke so I think that automatically makes us an improve defensive unit, when you add that the returners will improve defensively as well.
Alstork and TeJon were very good defenders. Don't disagree that we will be better but it all hinges on post defense and a year's experience.
Ga65 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2018, 09:27 AM   #98
IlliniFaninHoosierLand
@JonRothstein

Illinois will host Evansville as part of its 2018-19 non-conference schedule, per a source.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/sta...36811844288513
IlliniFaninHoosierLand is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:23 AM   #99
kuhl84
Location: Orlando, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga65 View Post
Alstork and TeJon were very good defenders. Don't disagree that we will be better but it all hinges on post defense and a year's experience.
Alstork was a max effort defender, which I appreciated, but I would not call him a very good defender. Lateral quickness was average at best and he fouled way too much after getting beat. Increased minutes by a healthy DW will result in a substantial improvement versus Alstork, IMO.
kuhl84 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2018, 11:06 AM   #100
Ga65
Every time I watch video of Ayo, am struck by never seeing him shoot with the left hand. He goes left but does not shoot with that hand. Trent on the other hand just doesn't like to go right but I believe I have seen him use his right hand for the shot.

Also Griffin seems athletically about the same as Malcom Hill. Is that the general opinion? Didn't see MH in HS, so have no idea how they compare skill wise. Griffin definitely seems a step slower than Ayo and Tevian. Shooting probably more like JCL.
Ga65 is offline Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools

Forum Jump