Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Fair catches on kickoffs inside 25-yard line are now touchbacks

Old Apr 13, 2018, 06:19 PM   #1
Dan
Admin
Quote:
The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved altering football’s kickoff rules to allow the receiving team to fair catch the kick inside the 25-yard line and have it result in a touchback [the receiving team will then start its drive on the 25-yard line]
https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/a...-rule-approved
https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...-fair-catch-25
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2018, 06:25 PM   #2
ritster
Taking the strategy right out of the game. So much for the kicker than can kick the pop up to the 10 yard line.

Quit changing the game rules committee.
ritster is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2018, 06:54 PM   #3
illini80
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritster View Post
Taking the strategy right out of the game. So much for the kicker than can kick the pop up to the 10 yard line.

Clearly they want the ball to be placed at the 25 yard line. Just eliminate the kickoff.

Of course that would also eliminate the post kickoff commercial breaks, so that can't happen.
illini80 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2018, 07:08 PM   #4
Illwinsagain
Quote:

I guess the next step is to simply place the ball on the 25. I understand that kickoffs do cause more injuries than a regular play from scrimmage, and no one wants to see serious injuries, at the same time, need to figure out where this game is going.
Illwinsagain is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2018, 08:09 PM   #5
ILL_INI
Yes, it sounds like they want the ball to start at the 25 but still keep the option for an onside kick. Not a bad way to go about it.

Who has the #1 font? 1 1_ 1_ 1 1\I O 1 S
ILL_INI is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2018, 08:16 PM   #6
FiveStar
Time for more squibs
FiveStar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:01 PM   #7
NScale
Quote:
It's only for a fair catch. Much of the time the kicking team downs it or the punter puts it out of bounds at the 10.
NScale is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:50 PM   #8
Hoppy2105
Also, a fair catch is voluntary right? I’d plant my guys at the 15 (maybe 20?) and tell them to fair catch anything if they have to back up to get it.

Otherwise, catch it and try to get past the 25.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NScale View Post
It's only for a fair catch. Much of the time the kicking team downs it or the punter puts it out of bounds at the 10.
I didn’t read the link. Is kicking it out of bounds no longer going to be a penalty?

/.............|.............\
/...............|...............\
Hoppy2105 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2018, 09:35 AM   #9
BU in CU
This is ridiculous.
BU in CU is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2018, 10:50 AM   #10
SampsonRelpenk
I disagree with this guy's assertion that kickoff return touchdowns are not really that interesting, given their rarity and the whiplash of erasing the touchdown that the kicking team just scored, but I am coming around to the kickoff's demise.

SampsonRelpenk is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2018, 01:36 PM   #11
rbachhuber
aka Flash Gordon, earthling
Location: Planet Earth, when not battling Ming the Merciless on Mongo (or sometimes Mars)
Only for kickoffs, right? Not punts.
rbachhuber is online now Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2018, 05:00 PM   #12
South Farms
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illwinsagain View Post
I need to figure out where this game is going.

Its progressing to one of two things
a. 7 on 7 tackle football but with little contact. No helmets . All athletes who are basically under 230 pounds

B. 11 on 11. no helmets. no tackles.

lawsuits regarding brain injuries are going to mandate changes the game in drastic ways the next 5 years.
South Farms is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2018, 03:32 PM   #13
Illinibadge
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Farms View Post
Its progressing to one of two things
a. 7 on 7 tackle football but with little contact. No helmets . All athletes who are basically under 230 pounds

B. 11 on 11. no helmets. no tackles.

lawsuits regarding brain injuries are going to mandate changes the game in drastic ways the next 5 years.
I think I will disagree with you to a point. The overwhelming majority of college freshman students are 17-18, that means they are legally adults, and therefore was enter into legally binding agreements as it applies to their health. I would imagine what you might start to see would instead be colleges requiring "consent forms" prior to playing football, they will force some sort of video/course on the impact prior to playing any football. NFL will of course be even easier to prove consent. What I do think will start to be eliminated is 11-11 tackle football in HS and before. I think you are already starting to see that in wealthier areas. I personally went to a suburban better educated school district (Mahomet) with a relatively stellar 15-20 year run in football prior to the last couple of years (I would guess the average record between 2000 and 2010 was 7-2 or 8-1), and towards the early 2000s, probably well over 50+ kids went out for football each year. They are getting to the point now where fielding a full team with backups is getting harder and harder. I think that is where you will start to see it going away, with the kids, because parents will stop their kids from going out. But at least for now, there is too much money in CFB for it to go away. Just my $.02
Illinibadge is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2018, 05:00 PM   #14
IlliniJim20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinibadge View Post
I think I will disagree with you to a point. The overwhelming majority of college freshman students are 17-18, that means they are legally adults, and therefore was enter into legally binding agreements as it applies to their health. I would imagine what you might start to see would instead be colleges requiring "consent forms" prior to playing football, they will force some sort of video/course on the impact prior to playing any football. NFL will of course be even easier to prove consent. What I do think will start to be eliminated is 11-11 tackle football in HS and before. I think you are already starting to see that in wealthier areas. I personally went to a suburban better educated school district (Mahomet) with a relatively stellar 15-20 year run in football prior to the last couple of years (I would guess the average record between 2000 and 2010 was 7-2 or 8-1), and towards the early 2000s, probably well over 50+ kids went out for football each year. They are getting to the point now where fielding a full team with backups is getting harder and harder. I think that is where you will start to see it going away, with the kids, because parents will stop their kids from going out. But at least for now, there is too much money in CFB for it to go away. Just my $.02
How do you think college football will survive if high school football does not exist, per your example?

I don't disagree high school football will be impacted before college, but they are correlated.

Old Apr 15, 2018, 08:03 PM   #15
Illinibadge
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJim20 View Post
How do you think college football will survive if high school football does not exist, per your example?

I don't disagree high school football will be impacted before college, but they are correlated.
Oh undoubtedly it will impacted, but I think you will still see in less educated communities, for poorer people, I think you will see people continue to do it, at least for a while... But eventually, I agree football as we know it will die.
Illinibadge is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2018, 07:40 AM   #16
South Farms
in some areas- which may be related to income or not , football may become unpopular with parents and youth , just as youth boxing did .

When that occurs, programs whither away and die.

in other areas, it may stay popular, but lawsuits related to brain injuries will force the IHSA (in Illinois) to stop sanctioning it. When that occurs, it will be up to amateur leagues to pop up and take over the roles high schools took on. That is going to force drastic changes in the game and the result will likely be these 7 on 7 leagues, where the game and rules will resemble the product we see in the indoor Arena League, only I envision it with no helmets as there will officially be "no contact" just like basketball.

Crazy as it seems, if you remove the helmets, you will remove the 99% of the brain injuries. They dont use them in rugby nor Aussie football.
South Farms is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2018, 11:03 AM   #17
IlliniJim20
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Farms View Post
in some areas- which may be related to income or not , football may become unpopular with parents and youth , just as youth boxing did .

When that occurs, programs whither away and die.

in other areas, it may stay popular, but lawsuits related to brain injuries will force the IHSA (in Illinois) to stop sanctioning it. When that occurs, it will be up to amateur leagues to pop up and take over the roles high schools took on. That is going to force drastic changes in the game and the result will likely be these 7 on 7 leagues, where the game and rules will resemble the product we see in the indoor Arena League, only I envision it with no helmets as there will officially be "no contact" just like basketball.

Crazy as it seems, if you remove the helmets, you will remove the 99% of the brain injuries. They dont use them in rugby nor Aussie football.
Extending the examples. No helmets, until those few concussions from inadvertent collisions. Then people will call for some protective head gear, and we'll be right back where we started

ok somewhat

Regarding rugby and Aussie football, I realize they don't use helmets, and it is a different game, but I submit we just don't know the extent of head injuries due to lack of studies.

Old Apr 16, 2018, 11:39 AM   #18
NScale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinibadge View Post
Oh undoubtedly it will impacted, but I think you will still see in less educated communities, for poorer people, I think you will see people continue to do it, at least for a while... But eventually, I agree football as we know it will die.
Football is a spectacle. It is our version of the Roman gladiators in the Coliseum. There are eleventy bazillion people who watch and attend football and burn meat in the parking lots as an offering to the pigskin gods. No way all that money and popularity just fizzles. They don't have a Sta-Puft Marshmallow Bowl.
NScale is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2018, 03:04 PM   #19
Spoon House
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbachhuber View Post
Only for kickoffs, right? Not punts.
Punts are next. Same issues as kickoffs.

I have mixed feelings, but my gut tells me both are going to disappear in college ball during my lifetime.

Old Apr 17, 2018, 04:15 AM   #20
Illiini
Wait until someone figures out that heading a soccer ball rattles the brain around in the skull. I don't know what the frequency of headers is--I never played and don't watch the game--but surely as much as the routine head contact in football. With football you can at least try to mitigate head injuries, but with soccer, like boxing, it's really part of the game. Boxing is obviously more severe than soccer, but I can see the same issues being raised.

This of course leads to a discussion of all sports. How dangerous, and how easy is it to mitigate, injuries in any sport. Snowboarding anyone?
Illiini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2018, 04:30 AM   #21
Illiini
But if football does truly go away, what do we do with stadia which in many cases dominate the skyline of college campuses.
Illiini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2018, 08:52 AM   #22
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illiini View Post
But if football does truly go away, what do we do with stadia which in many cases dominate the skyline of college campuses.
Soccer and LAX.

But it's not going away, no one is going to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs, even if the goose gives everyone concussions.

Old Apr 17, 2018, 08:57 AM   #23
ChiefIllini
Personally, I think we need to educate kids/parents on the almost certain risk of brain injuries. Like a lot more.

However I dont see how this is an issue if kids want to play. Isn't it everyones choice to do what they want, so long as they aren't hurting others. I'm not against safety improvements, and being honest kickoff's are one of the lamest parts of the game, but if we ever get to the point of not altering major aspects of the game, I think some line needs to be drawn.

I guess at that point you could argue guys like Hernandez might've not done what he did if his brain hadn't been damaged, but I'm not sure anyone will ever be able to prove such things. If those involved understand the risk and almost certain consequences, then who am I to say they shouldn't play?
ChiefIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2018, 08:58 AM   #24
Illinnoying Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom Stoddard View Post
Soccer and LAX.
no thanks.
Illinnoying Orange is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:10 AM   #25
IlliniJim20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinnoying Orange View Post
no thanks.
Hey, don't knock lacrosse. Very exciting game

However, little chance it fills a stadium. OSU plays at the 'Shoe, and it looks terrible, even with a good crowd.