Old May 1, 2018, 06:00 AM   #1
Dan
Admin
-----------------------------------------------------------
rbachhuber's Scholarship Grid
Updated 05/15/2018

-----------------------------------------------------------
NCAA Recruiting Calendar (pdf)

Last edited by Dan; May 15, 2018 at 08:20 PM.
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2018, 06:27 AM   #2
jeremyninnes
1st post! Certainly hope we get news today of a visit by Okoro this weekend. I fear if it doesnt happen this weekend then we are done. But hoping for the best based on a few posters on here yesterday. Welcome to May everyone!
jeremyninnes is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2018, 08:13 AM   #3
Second and Chalmers
At the end of the day we've just missed out on so many big recruits who seemed far, far more interested in Illinois by their actions and public comments and social media activity than Okoro does. I find it very difficult to be optimistic on this one, doubly so if we've run out of OV's.
Second and Chalmers is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2018, 08:15 AM   #4
jcgoldie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second and Chalmers View Post
At the end of the day we've just missed out on so many big recruits who seemed far, far more interested in Illinois by their actions and public comments and social media activity than Okoro does. I find it very difficult to be optimistic on this one, doubly so if we've run out of OV's.
I don't know if Okoro comes to Illinois but this is a completely nonsensical argument. He just had an OV to Purdue and didn't even bother to tweet about it.
jcgoldie is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2018, 08:20 AM   #5
WhiteRhino
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgoldie View Post
I don't know if Okoro comes to Illinois but this is a completely nonsensical argument. He just had an OV to Purdue and didn't even bother to tweet about it.
And Bryce Golden said nothing about Butler before he committed to them.
WhiteRhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2018, 08:27 AM   #6
ivwilsoniv
Quote:

Old May 1, 2018, 09:18 AM   #7
skyIdub
Winged Warrior
Quote:
Other side of the bed S&C!! The other side of the bed!!
skyIdub is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2018, 09:24 AM   #8
UofIChE06
Quote:
To be fair the recruitments under Underwood have been much quieter with less fan fare than under Groce. I wouldn't necessarily say I would feel confident Okoro picks UI but I don't think there has been all that much fanfare for any of his supposed final 3.
UofIChE06 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2018, 09:38 AM   #9
Second and Chalmers
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyIdub View Post
Other side of the bed S&C!! The other side of the bed!!
#Littyville
Second and Chalmers is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2018, 09:40 AM   #10
haasi
Expect the worst, hope for the best, avoid nutpunches
haasi is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2018, 09:42 AM   #11
Fighter of the Nightman
I lose some credit as a somewhat eternal optimist type, but the "reasonable, grounded fan" attitude simply cannot co-exist with the "we're cursed" negative mentality, IMO. Stuff that happened under Groce - besides the fact that it continued a streak of sucking year after year - is pretty irrelevant to Underwood recruiting. There is no black cloud over the University of Illinois that good leadership can't change rather quickly. Whether or not we have the good leadership is, I guess, up for debate (I would argue we absolutely do), but the "X has happened before, so let's not get our hopes up" only makes sense if there is some logical connection between the two events, which would require you to believe there is something inherently unlucky about Illinois across coaches. I'd argue that's baseless superstition. We might not land him, but I don't see reason to be overly negative about our chances just yet.
Fighter of the Nightman is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2018, 09:43 AM   #12
haasi
Everything about being a fan is illogical

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
haasi is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2018, 09:46 AM   #13
TCTORNADO
Quote:
#Littyville
Why not Ubbeville!!
TCTORNADO is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2018, 10:09 AM   #14
imjustsooffended
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
Why not Ubbeville!!
Ew
imjustsooffended is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2018, 10:10 AM   #15
Greensboro
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofIChE06 View Post
To be fair the recruitments under Underwood have been much quieter with less fan fare than under Groce. I wouldn't necessarily say I would feel confident Okoro picks UI but I don't think there has been all that much fanfare for any of his supposed final 3.
This is a fair way to look at it, but without much fanfare to either, put down the glass of orange kool-aid & it is hard to say we lead or trail either Oregon or PU, he also commented that new schools were calling so an outside chance that a top program that is losing someone to the draft also slips in late. We have a chance, but I would still bet on the field.
Greensboro is online now Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2018, 10:13 AM   #16
PtownIllini8
Quote:
Originally Posted by haasi View Post
Expect the worst, hope for the best, avoid nutpunches
My view is hope for the best, deal with the rest. You don't want to play home games in Champaign, then bye, bye, we'll find someone else.
PtownIllini8 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2018, 10:16 AM   #17
Newman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of the Nightman View Post
I lose some credit as a somewhat eternal optimist type, but the "reasonable, grounded fan" attitude simply cannot co-exist with the "we're cursed" negative mentality, IMO. Stuff that happened under Groce - besides the fact that it continued a streak of sucking year after year - is pretty irrelevant to Underwood recruiting. There is no black cloud over the University of Illinois that good leadership can't change rather quickly. Whether or not we have the good leadership is, I guess, up for debate (I would argue we absolutely do), but the "X has happened before, so let's not get our hopes up" only makes sense if there is some logical connection between the two events, which would require you to believe there is something inherently unlucky about Illinois across coaches. I'd argue that's baseless superstition. We might not land him, but I don't see reason to be overly negative about our chances just yet.
I don't think it's bad luck, it's just that our chances are never going to be good with national recruits until we can sell results instead of a promise. Not saying it can't happen though.
Newman is online now Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2018, 11:18 AM   #18
RockfordIllini
I'm not as concerned with pulling in big name recruits with this regime and as I was in the past.

Underwood seems to have types of players that he is looking for, i.e. a rim runner, athletic wing, shooter, etc. And I think he goes after players that fit those types, and it's pretty much first come/first serve by type. I'm sure he has preferences, but I don't think he gets caught up in whether a player is rated # 60 vs. 150 vs. 220, etc.

You could argue some of the commitments seem like reaches, desperation, etc. but I think it shows he has confidence in his system will work so long as he has the pieces to run it properly, and that he can beat you if is system is working.

That being said, I really hope we land Okoro. In the short term, I think he is far more likely to make an immediate impact than our current commits, and with him I think we are a tournament team next year. But again, I am just speaking in terms of likelihood. Who's to say Samba couldn't pull a Trent Frazier and leapfrog Okoro next year, even assuming we do get him?

I am excited to see how the system works with all of these new pieces. Go Illini!

Last edited by Dan; May 9, 2018 at 04:06 PM.
RockfordIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2018, 11:19 AM   #19
NewFan2011
Quote:
Other than free transportation and meals, is there anything else that happens on an OV that would be different?
NewFan2011 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2018, 11:25 AM   #20
rtbritt
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFan2011 View Post
Other than free transportation and meals, is there anything else that happens on an OV that would be different?
Recruit's satisfaction that they are fully wanted, basically.
rtbritt is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2018, 11:40 AM   #21
drewillini89
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbritt View Post
Guaranteed that once an OV opens up, if Okoro is still available or even has already committed to Illinois, he'll get an OV. Alan took his OV after already committing.
drewillini89 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2018, 11:42 AM   #22
jcgoldie
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbritt View Post
As anyone could tell you who's ever taken a girl on a date and made her pay for her own dinner... this is completely overrated
jcgoldie is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2018, 12:00 PM   #23
IlliniBrave75
Kedric Prince‏ @KedPrince4 16h16 hours ago
Spoke with #illini 18 recruit Tevian Jones, the athletic wing talked about his conversation with Francis Okoro in person last weekend: I told him that we need him at Illinois in that orange and blue!

Dave Wischnowsky‏ @wischlist 16h16 hours ago
I'll be surprised if he isn't.

Dave Wischnowsky‏ @wischlist 16h16 hours ago
Just hearing good vibes from a number of people.

Me too, found out tonight his roommate is this STUD from Chicago named Ayo Dosunmu.
IlliniBrave75 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2018, 12:04 PM   #24
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFan2011 View Post
Coach and staff can watch open gym during an UV while at an OV they can't be present.
TCTORNADO is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2018, 12:30 PM   #25
Joel Goodson
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniBrave75 View Post
Me too, found out tonight his roommate is this STUD from Chicago named Ayo Dosunmu.
Well, that escalated quickly. Not that I'm complaining.
Joel Goodson is offline Reply With Quote