Old May 15, 2017, 12:33 PM   #276
SampsonRelpenk
Brad Underwood: We should be an NCAA Tournament team next year
Old May 15, 2017, 12:39 PM   #277
Ubermensch
Founder, Kipper Fan Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SampsonRelpenk View Post
I agree with him. I wouldn't use "should" but I definitely think we can and will be a tourney team.
Old May 15, 2017, 12:50 PM   #278
carmelillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by haasi View Post
Craggs and Leitch on state of the program and this upcoming season - http://www.smilepolitely.com/culture...ch_volume_one/

Looking forward to more of this on Smile Politely. Great idea getting those guys involved
Some talented writers. Glad they're on our side.
Old May 15, 2017, 12:57 PM   #279
Adnarel
Quote:
Well, he's most certainly made his bed.

Old May 15, 2017, 01:11 PM   #280
TownieMatt
CU Expat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adnarel View Post
Well, he's most certainly made his bed.
This always cracks me up. What's he supposed to say? "Nah, my roster is trash, no chance at the tourney."

Old May 15, 2017, 01:12 PM   #281
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
I'm just glad to have a guy who will make a statement.
No coach speak there.
He means it, so he said it.

Old May 15, 2017, 01:13 PM   #282
Adnarel
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownieMatt View Post
This always cracks me up. What's he supposed to say? "Nah, my roster is trash, no chance at the tourney."
No, but if there's doubt he can just say "we expect to be a competitive team" or some similar iteration of that. Now he's said the T word. Fans and writers will hold him to that.

I don't think he's wrong, for the record, but I can hear the "fire Underwood" chants already when we fall on the wrong side of the bubble.

Old May 15, 2017, 01:15 PM   #283
Bailey
Quote:
Rothstein could barely finish the question of who's been most impressive in the early workouts before BU answered "Leron Black". I thought this was the most interesting takeaway given the totally warranted uncertainty regarding Leron's fit in this new scheme.
Old May 15, 2017, 01:30 PM   #284
TownieMatt
CU Expat
Quote:
No, but if there's doubt he can just say "we expect to be a competitive team" or some similar iteration of that. Now he's said the T word. Fans and writers will hold him to that.

I don't think he's wrong, for the record, but I can hear the "fire Underwood" chants already when we fall on the wrong side of the bubble.
I hear ya, but I don't think missing the tournament in year 1 (even if he's made an optimistic prediction) is going to lead to any rational criticism. BU is trying to get out in the media and project confidence and positive momentum around the program. Wouldn't read too much into this from a W/L prediction standpoint (though your right that some will).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey
Rothstein could barely finish the question of who's been most impressive in the early workouts before BU answered "Leron Black". I thought this was the most interesting takeaway given the totally warranted uncertainty regarding Leron's fit in this new scheme.
I don't really understand why people are so down on Leron in this system. He's going to get open mid-range jumpers that he likes so much. Also a huge opportunity to get second chance points, something that was nearly non-existent under Groce.

Old May 15, 2017, 01:35 PM   #285
Peoria Illini
I think he said if they add the right piece or two to what they have now, they could be a tournament team. He says he needs to add bigs and some experience.

Just looked at the 2018 Maui Invitational Field for a year from this coming November. Man, it could be loaded. Arizona, Auburn, Duke, Gonzaga, Illinois, Iowa State, SD State and Xavier? That should help sway some of those 2018 recruits... Ayo, THT, let's head out to Maui and throw down against some great competition.
Old May 15, 2017, 01:36 PM   #286
TownieMatt
CU Expat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoria Illini View Post
I think he said if they add the right piece or two to what they have now, they could be a tournament team. He says he needs to add bigs and some experience.

Just looked at the 2018 Maui Invitational Field for a year from this coming November. Man, it could be loaded. Arizona, Auburn, Duke, Gonzaga, Illinois, Iowa State, SD State and Xavier? That should help sway some of those 2018 recruits... Ayo, THT, let's head out to Maui and throw down against some great competition.
Just got to that part, he definitely qualified it with 'if we get the right pieces'.

Old May 15, 2017, 01:39 PM   #287
Ga65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
Was surprised by this also but he mentions toughness frequently and LB is the std on this team. Finke obviously fits his offense and I still believe he can be coached into an adequate defensive presence just not the athletic shot blocker. He is after another big and recognizes the lack of depth which I am hoping he has at least one viable option.
Old May 15, 2017, 01:43 PM   #288
RichBradIllini
Quote:

Speaking of bubbles, this reminds me of pre-season 2010-2011 when Weber had Final Four t-shirts made up. Every coach likes to feed the fan base be it rational or not.
Old May 15, 2017, 01:47 PM   #289
Adnarel
Quote:
I don't think missing the tournament in year 1 (even if he's made an optimistic prediction) is going to lead to any rational criticism.
There's plenty of the other kind to go around.

But you're right, Underwood is most certainly drumming up the fans. I know it's worked on me, that's for sure.

Old May 15, 2017, 02:09 PM   #290
ChiefIllini
Quote:
There's plenty of the other kind to go around.

But you're right, Underwood is most certainly drumming up the fans. I know it's worked on me, that's for sure.
I'd rather have a coach shoot for the stars rather than the top of a 10' foot ladder
Old May 15, 2017, 02:22 PM   #291
BDoug
Banned
BU sounds excited about a few returning players. Clearly a big fan of Leron (as I am), but also mentioned JCL, Finke, Kipper and TJL. He's also expecting significant contributions from the 3 incoming freshmen.

I'm interested to see if he can add another big and another scoring wing. Go Illini!
Old May 15, 2017, 02:25 PM   #292
icengineer
Quote:
I hear ya, but I don't think missing the tournament in year 1 (even if he's made an optimistic prediction) is going to lead to any rational criticism.
Absolutely! But I'm will to be there will be plenty of irrational criticism!
Old May 15, 2017, 02:35 PM   #293
Illiini
But what a great day for Underwood to get to say that. Takes Tilmon off the table.
Old May 15, 2017, 02:41 PM   #294
PlayAZ
Quote:

Maybe he will "fall" outside the Bubble in Year 1....but that is still a hell of a lot better than "falling" outside the bubble in what 4 outta 5 years?

Build it and they will come....We are on our way!
Old May 15, 2017, 03:58 PM   #295
Chathamillini
I can't wait to watch an offense actually push the ball ip the floor and create easy shots. I don't ever want to see TJL watch the ball roll up to half court before he picks it up. It will be a pleasure to watch rebounders look for outlet passes down the court!!
Old May 15, 2017, 05:38 PM   #296
bombayIllini
Quote:
Good. Change of culture/thinking is needed.
Old May 15, 2017, 05:39 PM   #297
rockillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombayIllini View Post
Agreed!
Old May 15, 2017, 05:54 PM   #298
CAHALL15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombayIllini View Post
My exact thoughts. He does not mince words when talking about winning and losing. Groce was a nice guy, but he began to annoy me with his, "We'll see. We are getting better and that's what counts. Blah blah blah..." Underwood has put the expectations of being a tournament team out there and said that he's not a good loser which his head coaching record reflects.
Old May 15, 2017, 06:09 PM   #299
bombayIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHALL15 View Post
My exact thoughts. He does not mince words when talking about winning and losing. Groce was a nice guy, but he began to annoy me with his, "We'll see. We are getting better and that's what counts. Blah blah blah..." Underwood has put the expectations of being a tournament team out there and said that he's not a good loser which his head coaching record reflects.
Actually by:

Making: LayupS. Free throwS. Open shotS (in the first 7 seconds) ............

And he emphasizes and practices these things.

Takes care of the fundamentals.
Old May 15, 2017, 07:27 PM   #300
ballislife17
One thing I noticed was BU mentioned every returning player other than Aaron Jordan. Did anyone else pick up on that?

Also, I am surprised no one has mentioned how BU said the mantra for the year was going to be "climbing the ladder" and how each game would be a step towards the NCAA tournament