Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Old Aug 11, 2017, 09:20 AM   #1876
FC Illiniman
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniguy24 View Post
Every month is a big month, amiright?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Till someone commits, big or a chosen one, nothing will happen without visit . Castleton will be 1st ATM to come in and see the show. After that who knows what or who will come, IMO we won't see anything till closer to signing date. Something changes it would be because a recruit verbals after visit, and wants to be the first. My take on it.
FC Illiniman is online now Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2017, 09:40 AM   #1877
JFGsCoffeeMug
Blunderbuss
Every day is one day closer to the day when something finally happens.

Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:52 AM   #1878
IlliniKid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Illini Fan View Post
September could be a big month for ILL.

I'm hoping for Castleton, or Conditt to be locked down. Castleton has the OV at the beginning of September, and I have heard Conditt wants to get back down in September as well.

Plus, I am hearing Ayo may make a visit in September.

Amadou Sow is planning on visiting sometime, heard it could be after September though, because of the schedule he has with Prolific Prep.

INB4 nothing happens in September and October is a "big month".
IlliniKid is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:09 AM   #1879
Indy Illini Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini View Post
Im having deja vu about a boy and a wolf at this point...
Just talking about how many high profile targets could potentially visit. Recruiting is fluid, and nothing is for sure until the pen hits the paper.
Indy Illini Fan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:28 AM   #1880
TCTORNADO
Griffin with a Pitt offer. Just further confirmation he is HM. Put me in the Griffin column.
TCTORNADO is online now Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:29 AM   #1881
james81
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC Illiniman View Post
Till someone commits, big or a chosen one, nothing will happen without visit . Castleton will be 1st ATM to come in and see the show. After that who knows what or who will come, IMO we won't see anything till closer to signing date. Something changes it would be because a recruit verbals after visit, and wants to be the first. My take on it.
Castleton has gotten a lot of good offers this summer. The odds of us getting him have probably dropped. The fact he is visiting suggests we have a chance, but I still think Conditt is the first to commit. I could see that happening in September. I think Griffin could also verbal in September. I will be surprised if Griffin takes 5 visits, unless we are the last scheduled visit.
james81 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:32 AM   #1882
james81
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
Griffin with a Pitt offer. Just further confirmation he is HM. Put me in the Griffin column.
Earlier in the week, Griffin said, since it's hard to build relationships, he doubted he would open up his recruitment to new offers unless it was one of his dream schools. Plus he already had 4 of his 5 visits selected.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:02 PM   #1883
TCTORNADO
Must be Griffin offer day, because Hendricksen is saying Bill and Jerrance have offered him.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:06 PM   #1884
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by james81 View Post
Castleton has gotten a lot of good offers this summer. The odds of us getting him have probably dropped. The fact he is visiting suggests we have a chance, but I still think Conditt is the first to commit. I could see that happening in September. I think Griffin could also verbal in September. I will be surprised if Griffin takes 5 visits, unless we are the last scheduled visit.
Castleton up to #71 with latest Scout rankings. Ayo moves up to #28 . DeSousa At #41!!

http://www.scout.com/Season/2018-Bas...oup=HighSchool

Last edited by TCTORNADO; Aug 11, 2017 at 12:09 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:12 PM   #1885
TCTORNADO
Just saw Tim Finke @ #166 on latest Scout rankings. Yikes!!
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:13 PM   #1886
jmilt7
SBNation article: We asked you which college basketball recruits you wish your school got. Here's what you said.

Noteworthy because "Illinois fans get their own section"

https://www.sbnation.com/college-bas...andrew-wiggins
jmilt7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:42 PM   #1887
Joel Goodson
Nolley @ #58. Griffin @ #100 on Rivals.
Joel Goodson is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:42 PM   #1888
Paigncake
Quote:
Must be Griffin offer day, because Hendricksen is saying Bill and Jerrance have offered him.
Not shocked. Kid is a stud and Bill Self saw him at least a game.. I think 2.

When he didn't pop on the Illinois visit i stopped liking our odds.
Paigncake is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:45 PM   #1889
Joel Goodson
Quote:
Plan C for KU. Just planting a seed.
Joel Goodson is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:49 PM   #1890
t7nich
Quote:
Castleton up to #71 with latest Scout rankings. Ayo moves up to #28 . DeSousa At #41!!

Nate Hinton jumped from 290 to 92 on Scout. Rated #100 by ESPN.

Still underrated, IMO. Kid's a baller. Wish we could get him up for a visit, doubt it happens though.
t7nich is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:52 PM   #1891
jcgoldie
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilt7 View Post
SBNation article: We asked you which college basketball recruits you wish your school got. Here's what you said.

Noteworthy because "Illinois fans get their own section"
Hadn't ever seen that cliffmas video... I was watching and reacting the same way but still... owwwwwwch
jcgoldie is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2017, 01:01 PM   #1892
Illwinsagain
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgoldie View Post
Hadn't ever seen that cliffmas video... I was watching and reacting the same way but still... owwwwwwch
I was home that day, my wife didn't understand my reaction. I embarrassingly screamed a lot of the same words that were on that video.
Illwinsagain is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2017, 01:30 PM   #1893
james81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Goodson View Post
Plan C for KU. Just planting a seed.
In a counter-intuitive way, the KU offer to Griffin might work to our advantage. He gets the affirmation he deserves, but once the "high" of the offer settles back to reality, he has to realize he's not a priority for KU. That could push him more in our direction. Of course, if Self is ready to take a commitment from him, that changes everything. However, Self is after some 5-star players and until those commitments get resolved, I can't believe Griffin, Ayo or THT are free to verbal to KU. I bet BU would take any of their commitments without reservation.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 01:52 PM   #1894
ChiefIllini
Quote:
In a counter-intuitive way, the KU offer to Griffin might work to our advantage. He gets the affirmation he deserves, but once the "high" of the offer settles back to reality, he has to realize he's not a priority for KU. That could push him more in our direction. Of course, if Self is ready to take a commitment from him, that changes everything. However, Self is after some 5-star players and until those commitments get resolved, I can't believe Griffin, Ayo or THT are free to verbal to KU. I bet BU would take any of their commitments without reservation.
Ayo's KU offer isn't commitable? I mean hes borderline 5 star.
ChiefIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2017, 02:02 PM   #1895
Illini Beer 4 All
Quote:
Do they need him or want him? Perhaps they need and want him

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Illini Beer 4 All is online now Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2017, 02:12 PM   #1896
RedRocksIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgoldie View Post
And yet interesting how that has turned out so far. Recruiting is fluid and karma is a b****.
RedRocksIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2017, 02:33 PM   #1897
james81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini View Post
Ayo's KU offer isn't commitable? I mean hes borderline 5 star.
I'm guessing Ayo's KU offer isn't commitable just yet. Why? Because Self is going after Zion Williamson (wing--Rivals #3 ) and Devon Dotson (pg--Rivals #35), hoping to get them as a package deal. They are both from the Carolinas and play on the same AAU team. Dotson has a visit scheduled to KU in 2 weeks. That's when the dominoes for KU could fall.

Quote:
There’s been talk that a Dotson commitment might also help KU land No. 3-ranked Zion Williamson, a 6-6 senior forward from Spartanburg (S.C.) Day School.
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/col...166396542.html
Old Aug 11, 2017, 02:41 PM   #1898
HC Illini
HC Illini
Name to keep an eye on for 2019 - DJ Carton
HC Illini is online now Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2017, 02:42 PM   #1899
kuhl84
Quote:

If you watched the SC30 game on ESPNU a couple of days ago, you know that DeSousa is better than that. Kid has skills and upside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kuhl84 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2017, 02:42 PM   #1900
coryfor3
Quote:
Does KU just wait to see what prospects Illinois offers and have then offer them the week after or so?
It seems like it.
I picture KU doing absolutely no scouting here and just offering players once they hear Illinois did and then they figure they can just swoop in and take who they want. I'm kidding but it sure feels this way.
coryfor3 is offline Reply With Quote