Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Oct 11, 2017, 03:48 PM   #1701
kuhl84
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLiveTheChief7 View Post
He's not the lead for BPJ tho
yes he is.
kuhl84 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2017, 03:57 PM   #1702
sacraig
Mad Scientist
sacraig's Avatar
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhl84 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLiveTheChief7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhl84 View Post
BPJ


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He's not the lead for BPJ tho
yes he is.
This seems like an important and completely fruitful debate.

sacraig is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2017, 04:13 PM   #1703
Epsilon
M tipping over
Epsilon's Avatar
Location: Pdx
Posts: 1,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardBill View Post
Did Denmark get moved?
Historically speaking, the kingdom of Denmark owned large swaths of present day Sweden.
Epsilon is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2017, 04:16 PM   #1704
FC Illiniman
FC Illiniman's Avatar
Location: Farmer City
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGMan View Post
From what I know (which is essentially nothing), that just comes from rumors.
Was alot of tweets after THT left Mac Irvin fire , not any that came from Ayo. I'm sure Irvins at the time , not happy about situation, made comments sounded like it was his loss, THT, that he left.
THT made off hand comments in tweets many months ago that he might not end up on same team as Ayo. Was just a tweet, and many ran with it. Don't think he and Ayo have had any ill will with each other, but that all came about because he left the team.

Ayo should be all that concerns the staff , he has been #1 focus for long time. THT said a long time ago, he was taking his time in his commit. If they have an issue with each other, they will have to work it out. We want the best players to come to here, that want to be here. AYO commits, IMO, really matters less whatever else happens.
FC Illiniman is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2017, 04:52 PM   #1705
illini80
Location: Forgottonia
Posts: 2,324
Really thought we would be hearing something about yesterday’s visit by now.
illini80 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2017, 05:19 PM   #1706
illinifan87
Location: The Windy City
Posts: 3,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini80 View Post
Really thought we would be hearing something about yesterday’s visit by now.
Valtonen's visit lasts until tomorrow. We'll hear something then. And he got in about 5pm last night.
illinifan87 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2017, 05:22 PM   #1707
EfremWinters84
Location: S. Carolina
Posts: 378
I can recall the day when we talked about "closing the deal over pancakes" before recruits left campus. Any chance with EV?
EfremWinters84 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2017, 05:29 PM   #1708
whatahack
Location: St. Peters MO
Posts: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan87 View Post
Valtonen's visit lasts until tomorrow. We'll hear something then. And he got in about 5pm last night.
Here let me help....
'It was a great visit. I really liked the players and coaches. They showed me how I would fit in and develop as a player. '
whatahack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2017, 05:30 PM   #1709
illinifan87
Location: The Windy City
Posts: 3,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatahack View Post
Here let me help....
'It was a great visit. I really liked the players and coaches. They showed me how I would fit in and develop as a player. '
"But the women...definitely not as hot as Arizona State. I was disappointed by that."
illinifan87 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2017, 05:38 PM   #1710
foby
Location: Sin City
Posts: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini80 View Post
Really thought we would be hearing something about yesterday’s visit by now.
Here's a pic from today
https://twitter.com/JWernerScout/sta...38570632089600
foby is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2017, 05:52 PM   #1711
illini80
Location: Forgottonia
Posts: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan87 View Post
Valtonen's visit lasts until tomorrow. We'll hear something then. And he got in about 5pm last night.
Ok thanks. I thought it was just Tuesday.
illini80 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2017, 05:52 PM   #1712
PlayAZ
Posts: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan87 View Post
"But the women...definitely not as hot as Arizona State. I was disappointed by that."
Except for that one girl...I could stare at her All dayya...
PlayAZ is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2017, 05:57 PM   #1713
NBB1979
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatahack View Post
Here let me help....
'It was a great visit. I really liked the players and coaches. They showed me how I would fit in and develop as a player. '
POTD

(where were all the posts today? unusually low amount of posts today)
NBB1979 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2017, 06:16 PM   #1714
Verified Insider
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by EfremWinters84 View Post
I can recall the day when we talked about "closing the deal over pancakes" before recruits left campus. Any chance with EV?

Gotta give John Groce credit -- he is a very dynamic and charismatic guy, and it's easy to see why he closed the deal with Nunn, Black, and others during some of those early recruiting wins. I don't think Underwood has that same dynamism, and I wouldn't expect him to blow the socks off of recruits and their parents with his charismatic appeal right off the bat. So in that sense, i don't envision nearly as many commits during official visits.

Groce's problem, however, was that the appeal and charisma only went so far. After a few seasons of losing, the luster was gone. I'm not the least bit concerned about that happening to Underwood, and I expect recruiting to improve with time whereas it deteriorated with time under Groce.
Verified Insider is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2017, 06:20 PM   #1715
PJD86
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verified Insider View Post
Gotta give John Groce credit -- he is a very dynamic and charismatic guy, and it's easy to see why he closed the deal with Nunn, Black, and others during some of those early recruiting wins. I don't think Underwood has that same dynamism, and I wouldn't expect him to blow the socks off of recruits and their parents with his charismatic appeal right off the bat. So in that sense, i don't envision nearly as many commits during official visits.

Groce's problem, however, was that the appeal and charisma only went so far. After a few seasons of losing, the luster was gone. I'm not the least bit concerned about that happening to Underwood, and I expect recruiting to improve with time whereas it deteriorated with time under Groce.
I concur, great post
PJD86 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2017, 07:30 PM   #1716
combes
Posts: 5,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by TALKTOCHUCK View Post
Having guys like Bill Cole committing to ILL after our great run is the reason we stink today. "Good role player". Please he started here over J Rich.
Cole was a senior. Richmond averaged more minutes per game.
combes is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2017, 07:39 PM   #1717
itsJUPITER
Posts: 23
wasnt bill cole the guy that liked the Civil War a lot
itsJUPITER is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2017, 08:16 PM   #1718
Combo
Posts: 1,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verified Insider View Post
Gotta give John Groce credit -- he is a very dynamic and charismatic guy, and it's easy to see why he closed the deal with Nunn, Black, and others during some of those early recruiting wins. I don't think Underwood has that same dynamism, and I wouldn't expect him to blow the socks off of recruits and their parents with his charismatic appeal right off the bat. So in that sense, i don't envision nearly as many commits during official visits.

Groce's problem, however, was that the appeal and charisma only went so far. After a few seasons of losing, the luster was gone. I'm not the least bit concerned about that happening to Underwood, and I expect recruiting to improve with time whereas it deteriorated with time under Groce.
Groce's problem was that his charisma didn't work with any quality PG targets. If you don't have a quality PG, you waste the talent of the other players.

Obviously he also just wasn't a good coach.
Combo is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2017, 08:34 PM   #1719
kcillini
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combo View Post
Groce's problem was that his charisma didn't work with any quality PG targets. If you don't have a quality PG, you waste the talent of the other players.

[B]Obviously he also just wasn't a good coach.

This
kcillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2017, 08:35 PM   #1720
IlliniSuperFan
Posts: 11
My source is telling me The Finn is committing before the 17th.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IlliniSuperFan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2017, 08:41 PM   #1721
Illini20
Illini20's Avatar
Posts: 334
Very optimistic about Ayo. Have a friend that is around their program. I couldn't get many details, but he says he would be genuinely surprised if he chose Wake.

__________________
HAIL
Illini20 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2017, 08:42 PM   #1722
jrichisamazing
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verified Insider View Post
Gotta give John Groce credit -- he is a very dynamic and charismatic guy, and it's easy to see why he closed the deal with Nunn, Black, and others during some of those early recruiting wins. I don't think Underwood has that same dynamism, and I wouldn't expect him to blow the socks off of recruits and their parents with his charismatic appeal right off the bat. So in that sense, i don't envision nearly as many commits during official visits.

Groce's problem, however, was that the appeal and charisma only went so far. After a few seasons of losing, the luster was gone. I'm not the least bit concerned about that happening to Underwood, and I expect recruiting to improve with time whereas it deteriorated with time under Groce.
Deteriorated? Groce had a good class coming in when he got fired. Tilmon and Frazier, plus closing in on Smith. Just another example that winning isn't necessary for recruiting. But it sure does help.

__________________
jrichisamazing is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2017, 08:50 PM   #1723
MainelyIllini
MainelyIllini's Avatar
Location: uh, Maine
Posts: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini20 View Post
Very optimistic about Ayo. Have a friend that is around their program. I couldn't get many details, but he says he would be genuinely surprised if he chose Wake.


Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniSuperFan View Post
My source is telling me The Finn is committing before the 17th.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I hope you guys/gals are right. I would be very happy with both of these guys in O&B!
MainelyIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2017, 08:51 PM   #1724
whatahack
Location: St. Peters MO
Posts: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniSuperFan View Post
My source is telling me The Finn is committing before the 17th.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Committing to whom???
whatahack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2017, 08:54 PM   #1725
IlliniSuperFan
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatahack View Post
Committing to whom???


Put in it In the books guy. We have locked down the Finn. He will be an Illini before the 17th. He will be announcing on his time. It's a good day to be an Illini fan.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IlliniSuperFan is offline Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools

Forum Jump