Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Illinois Bowl Projections

Closed Thread

Old Nov 19, 2011, 01:11 PM   #76
Harry Blackwell
Banned
I predict the toilet bowl, oh wait the team is already in the toilet, guess that leaves down the drain?
Old Nov 19, 2011, 01:16 PM   #77
Groundhogday
If we follow form and lose to Minnesota next week, I'm not sure we will get a bowl bid. What kind of fan support would Illinois have after that kind of finish?

Old Nov 19, 2011, 01:38 PM   #78
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
If we follow form and lose to Minnesota next week, I'm not sure we will get a bowl bid. What kind of fan support would Illinois have after that kind of finish?
With the offense seemingly finding something that works in the up-tempo style and the defense being, well, the defense I don't see how we lose to Minny. I think they only scored something like 17 against an NU D that is just horrid. Our D should hold them in check.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 01:41 PM   #79
Indicchief
Banned
I think we get a W against MN.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 01:47 PM   #80
Aobanoniji
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indicchief View Post
I think we get a W against MN.
I hope so. But you're in the minority I'm afraid.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 02:35 PM   #81
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
With the offense seemingly finding something that works in the up-tempo style and the defense being, well, the defense I don't see how we lose to Minny. I think they only scored something like 17 against an NU D that is just horrid. Our D should hold them in check.
Two years ago, we had a very nice showing against OSU in a loss. Then with a bowl game hanging in the balance, we laid a stinker up in Evansville. Don't underestimate the ability for a Zook-coached team to completely implode in this situation.

Old Nov 19, 2011, 02:50 PM   #82
Aobanoniji
Quote:
Two years ago, we had a very nice showing against OSU in a loss. Then with a bowl game hanging in the balance, we laid a stinker up in Evansville. Don't underestimate the ability for a Zook-coached team to completely implode in this situation.
I don't see how anyone can say we can't lose to Minnesota. All you have to do is look back a year and see what Zook football is capable of. And that was at home.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 04:42 PM   #83
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
completely different coaching staff and not NEARLY as good of a defense. I agree it could happen but I'm not expecting it to like most.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 04:43 PM   #84
Dan
Admin
Is guess the Gator Bowl dream is over
Old Nov 19, 2011, 04:45 PM   #85
Groundhogday
Quote:
completely different coaching staff and not NEARLY as good of a defense. I agree it could happen but I'm not expecting it to like most.
Well then how about 2010, when we came off a great win against NW in Wrigley only to lay a stinking pile on Fresno turf.

Old Nov 19, 2011, 04:47 PM   #86
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Well then how about 2010, when we came off a great win against NW in Wrigley only to lay a stinking pile on Fresno turf.
Better analogy...I still am not expecting us to lose.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 05:31 PM   #87
Harry Blackwell
Banned
Quote:
We will lose 10-7.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 02:37 PM   #88
Dan
Admin
RT @PeteThamelNYT Miami will "withhold the UM football team from bowl consideration following the 2011 regular season" because of NCAA inquiry.

RT @slmandel Miami's decision means San Fran bowl will have an open spot. Expect surplus Big Ten team (Illinois, Northwestern or Purdue) to land there.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 03:13 PM   #89
blmillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
RT @PeteThamelNYT Miami will "withhold the UM football team from bowl consideration following the 2011 regular season" because of NCAA inquiry.

RT @slmandel Miami's decision means San Fran bowl will have an open spot. Expect surplus Big Ten team (Illinois, Northwestern or Purdue) to land there.
New Mexico may have a spot too. I think we will get in somewhere but it would be nice to win next week and ensure it.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 06:46 PM   #90
Dan
Admin
"At-large: Illinois vs. TBA"

Big Ten bowl projections: Week 13
Old Nov 20, 2011, 07:05 PM   #91
KJKobs
2011 Bowl Projections - Week 12
Quote:
Mark Schlabach: New Mexico Bowl (Dec. 17th) (Illinois vs. San Diego State)
Brad Edwards: New Orleans Bowl (Dec. 17th) (Illinois vs. Arkansas State)
Rematch vs. The Red Wolves!?
New Orleans Bowl would be interesting in that Asmussen was projecting a Sugar Bowl birth a few weeks back. We would still be playing at the Superdome! :laugh:

CollegeFootballNews.com
Quote:
Little Caesars Pizza Bowl
December 27, 2011 Detroit, MI, 4:30 pm ESPN
MAC No. 1 vs. Big Ten No. 8 (or Sun Belt if no Big Ten)
Projection: Northern Illinois vs. Illinois
Old Nov 20, 2011, 07:07 PM   #92
Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Blackwell View Post
I predict the toilet bowl, oh wait the team is already in the toilet, guess that leaves down the drain?
Thread is about Bowl projections, not Bowel Projections or bowel movements, got it

I predict the Champaign Bowl (team bowling party) . . in other words they stay home
Old Nov 20, 2011, 07:38 PM   #93
Dan
Admin
Fun Fact-

If Illinois ends up in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl in San Francisco (Saturday, 12/31, 2:30pm CT), we would have a PERFECT OVERLAP with Hoops at Purdue (3:00pm CT).

On second thought, that wouldn't be fun at all.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 08:52 PM   #94
caillini84
Banned
Quote:
Fun Fact-

If Illinois ends up in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl in San Francisco (Saturday, 12/31, 2:30pm CT), we would have a PERFECT OVERLAP with Hoops at Purdue (3:00pm CT).

On second thought, that wouldn't be fun at all.
...except for those of us who live in Northern CA!
Old Nov 20, 2011, 10:39 PM   #95
Groundhogday
Quote:
I'm not expecting us to lose, but I think the odds of us losing are much higher than the current spread would indicate.

Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:55 AM   #96
Dan
Admin
ing for the January 2nd TicketCity Bowl, the only bowl I believe among the Illini's options at this point to NOT have an overlap hoops conflict. Seems like kinda a long shot. My, what a disaster this season is/was.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 06:27 PM   #97
Dan
Admin
Lose to Minnesota = R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl, Saturday, December 17th. (No conflict with Hoops vs UNLV at the UC)

Beat Minnesota = Little Caesars Bowl Detroit, Tuesday, December 27th. (End of football game will conflict 15-30 minutes with start of Illinois Hoops vs Minnesota at the Hall)

Allegedly.

Quote:
#MarchingIllini - keep December 17 and 27 open. If we win this Saturday, we will most likely travel on the 27...if we lose, Dec 17.

http://twitter.com/MarchingIllini

Last edited by Dan; Nov 22, 2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 06:40 PM   #98
Dan
Admin
Yes, the Gildan New Mexico Bowl is also on the 17th and might be in need of an at large team. But I will stay in denial for now that that's a possibility for Illinois.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 06:43 PM   #99
GeorgiaIllini
Quote:
Lose to Minnesota = R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl, Saturday, December 17th. (No conflict with Hoops vs UNLV at the UC)

Beat Minnesota = Little Caesars Bowl Detroit, Tuesday, December 27th. (End of football game will conflict 15-30 minutes with start of Illinois Hoops vs Minnesota at the Hall)

Allegedly.
So if we win, we go to Detroit, but if we lose, we go to New Orleans. I may have to root for the Gophers.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 06:50 PM   #100
Aobanoniji
I absolutely hate the corporate sponsorship names on the bowl games. Tacky.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »