Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

2011-12 Illinois Hoops Winter Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Dec 12, 2011, 06:43 PM   #101
hunter01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Yates View Post
SamMan has the heart of a lion and he's money under pressure, but he's not an elite talent. Most of our young guys are MUCH more athletic than SamMan. So what we lose in experience, we gain in athleticism when SamMan leaves. And by next season, our roster will be much more experienced, so we ought to be able to thrive even without SamMan. Meyers Leonard, on the other hand, is pretty much irreplaceable. If he leaves after this season, it will be a significant hit to next season's squad.
What are you thoughts on Orris, do you think he can pick up some of Sam's minutes next year?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 06:48 PM   #102
Kramer116
The big I still really want regardless of class is Gavin Schilling, and the sooner, the better.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 07:09 PM   #103
Chris Yates
Recruiting Correspondent
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter01 View Post
What are you thoughts on Orris, do you think he can pick up some of Sam's minutes next year?
I think Orris is an insurance policy at the point. He's more skilled than Jeff Jordan, but he'll play that kind of role in spot duty. I'm really hoping that Tracy Abrams is ready to take over the point next year because we're a solid point guard (and Meyers Leonard's return) away from a legitimate Final Four contender next season.

Old Dec 12, 2011, 07:10 PM   #104
Chris Yates
Recruiting Correspondent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post
The big I still really want regardless of class is Gavin Schilling, and the sooner, the better.
+1 Kramer.

Old Dec 12, 2011, 07:17 PM   #105
DaytonIllini
Quote:
I think Orris is an insurance policy at the point. He's more skilled than Jeff Jordan, but he'll play that kind of role in spot duty. I'm really hoping that Tracy Abrams is ready to take over the point next year because we're a solid point guard (and Meyers Leonard's return) away from a legitimate Final Four contender next season.
I agree and even with that talent we may be no better than 3rd or 4th in the B1G next year. The league is absolutely stacked.

One thing about IU though. Next year they bring in a talented recruiting class and lose only VJ3. It may be hard to keep their chemistry and integrate all those talented young faces that are expecting to start ahead of juniors and seniors. Crean will really have to coach well next year IMO.

Old Dec 12, 2011, 07:23 PM   #106
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
I agree and even with that talent we may be no better than 3rd or 4th in the B1G next year. The league is absolutely stacked.

One thing about IU though. Next year they bring in a talented recruiting class and lose only VJ3. It may be hard to keep their chemistry and integrate all those talented young faces that are expecting to start ahead of juniors and seniors. Crean will really have to coach well next year IMO.
I have heard Watford is gone no matter what after this season too, but we shall see if that actually happens.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 07:35 PM   #107
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post
He's BW's top priority for 2013 in one insider's perspective, FWIW, and yes, more so than Parker.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 07:38 PM   #108
Illini70math
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post

The two key guys are Yogi Ferrell and Hanner Perea in my opinion. The others are unlikely to be more than freshman back-up types because there are already pretty good experienced players ahead of them.

The friction issue could definitely arise between Yogi/Hulls and Hanner/Watford. I doubt they can play Yogi and Hulls at the same time because Yogi is small and Hulls is defensively very limited. They might be able to play Hanner and Watford together, but then what happens to Oladipo and Sheehey. A guy like Elston would seem to be completely out of luck, not to mention Etherington, etc.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 07:43 PM   #109
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofaChampion View Post
He's BW's top priority for 2013 in one insider's perspective, FWIW, and yes, more so than Parker.
I have heard something fairly similar, and getting him in 2013 really allows a bunch of flexibility for 2014.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 07:54 PM   #110
hunter01
Quote:
I think you are spot on about being a legit Final Four contender. Orris should be a very good back up to Abrams, depending on how he progresses. I think he will turn some heads as he fits well in this offense; a smart kid from what hear.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 08:25 PM   #111
illiniparkie
Quote:
Sterling Brown with interest from Illinois, DePaul abd Michigan State no offers yet

Bruce Weber leaning to make Sean O'Mara a 2014 big man recruiting option

Illinois is getting more active in Xavier Rathan Mayes recruitment

Larry Austin says Illinois is in his top 5. Other schools recruiting him are Memphis, Kansas St, Bradley, DePaul, Tennessee, Georgetown

offers from Illinois, Memphis, DePaul and Bradley confirmed by Austin

Illinois & DePaul will be two school Cliff Alexander will be pursuing to attend per his High School Basketball Coach

https://twitter.com/#!/KRscout
According to these tweets, Sterling Brown does NOT have an Illinois offer and it looks like Cliff Alexander will be visiting campus in the near future (at least that is how I interpret that final tweet). And the one tweet also seems to confirm the interest I have read elsewhere that the staff has in Xavier.

Last edited by illiniparkie; Dec 12, 2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 08:31 PM   #112
AzIlliniFan
If Alexander will be 'pursuing' to attend Illinois why doesn't he accept the outstanding offer?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 08:46 PM   #113
illiniparkie
Quote:
Jabari Parker says Illinois and Michigan State are two schools really recruiting him hard per Jabari Parker

https://twitter.com/#!/KRscout
Old Dec 12, 2011, 08:52 PM   #114
Kramer116
https://twitter.com/#!/Einsane

Quote:
@KRscout I thought Alexander didn't have major interest in Illinois? Just a paranoid fan rumor?
39 minutes ago
https://twitter.com/KRscout

Quote:
@Einsane wow to whoever told you that
3 minutes ago
Old Dec 12, 2011, 08:54 PM   #115
Kramer116
https://twitter.com/prepbullseye

Quote:
A trio of Big Ten coaches @ Collins HS today for 6'9 2014 PF Cliff Alexander from Curie...Wisconsin, Michigan & Iowa all represented.
11 Dec

To elaborate, Iowa AHC Sherman Dillard, Wisconsin AC Lamont Paris & Michigan AC Lavall Jordan all on hand to watch Cliff Alexander today.
11 Dec
Old Dec 12, 2011, 08:54 PM   #116
AzIlliniFan
I saw the tweet posted in another thread where Alexander is 'pursuing' Illinois and DePaul. Probably a poor choice of words and perhaps it was meant to be that the two are at the top of his list. I am baffled that anyone considers DePaul anywhere near as attractive as Illiniois, right now and especially in the foreseeable future. Yes, I get the DePaul is in Chicago thing and the coach has some traction there. But Seriously???
Old Dec 12, 2011, 08:55 PM   #117
chief3469
so alexander does or does not have legitimate interest in us?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 08:56 PM   #118
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief3469 View Post
so alexander does or does not have legitimate interest in us?
Does

It has been this way for awhile, but we are still listed as high interest on Rivals too.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 09:05 PM   #119
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzIlliniFan View Post
I saw the tweet posted in another thread where Alexander is 'pursuing' Illinois and DePaul. Probably a poor choice of words and perhaps it was meant to be that the two are at the top of his list. I am baffled that anyone considers DePaul anywhere near as attractive as Illiniois, right now and especially in the foreseeable future. Yes, I get the DePaul is in Chicago thing and the coach has some traction there. But Seriously???
Bizarre to me, too.
Maybe beyond bizarre.
They've been underachieving since Ray Meyer.
Bad karma
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:22 PM   #120
CAHALL15
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedbod7 View Post
Did we ever go after Ryan Boatright, who's now at UCONN, and why not if we didn't?
Yeah he left West Va because they recruited another PG. This means he would have left our program too becuase we had Tracy Abrams.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 07:47 AM   #121
4LaCosaNostra
depaul will be bad until they get a 7-9 thousand stadium to play in on campus.. which probably will never happen.. the travel to rosemont brings little fan fare and the atmosphere is brutal with opposing teams usually filling the stadium(especially bigeast foes). i know the place was good with ray and his son but that was what 20-35 years ago.. not to mention they suck in the bigeast and get zero tv coverage..

It would take a team effort of 3 or 4 guys really wanting to stay home and play together- like Quentin Richardson and crew did but that was over ten years ago. Oliver Purnell seems to be getting some out of state talent mixed in with some decent local but I dont see them as a threat to Illini for recruits at all presently or in the near future
Old Dec 13, 2011, 07:49 AM   #122
4LaCosaNostra
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHALL15 View Post
Yeah he left West Va because they recruited another PG. This means he would have left our program too becuase we had Tracy Abrams.
and he left USC when floyd mess was over..he committed as an 8th grader to USC, then W.V. then uconn.. I think he will have an outstanding four year career at Uconn
Old Dec 13, 2011, 08:08 AM   #123
prepbullseye
Banned
Sterling Brown has offers from both Illinois and DePaul--has had them since the summer. The only way he wouldn't have them now is if they were rescinded, which is highly unlikely.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 08:14 AM   #124
4LaCosaNostra
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepbullseye View Post
Sterling Brown has offers from both Illinois and DePaul--has had them since the summer. The only way he wouldn't have them now is if they were rescinded, which is highly unlikely.
but are the conditional offers or whatever ???
Old Dec 13, 2011, 08:20 AM   #125
prepbullseye
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4LaCosaNostra View Post
but are the conditional offers or whatever ???
Who cares? An offer is an offer--either you have one or you don't.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »