Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

The Assembly Hall turns 49

Old Feb 26, 2012, 02:41 PM   #1
Dan
Admin
Quote:
'I am the Assembly Hall. So good of you to visit.'

I always thought it was funny how Mr. Sinatra would not sit down.

His requests were few: a modest spread, just cheese and crackers to snack. My gift to him was a white Illini jacket. He thanked us, saying, "Usually all I get is warm beer."

A charmer, that man. Mr. Sinatra dressed, you see, in my spare changing room. And over the hour before he took the stage, he stood.

Klee
Quote:
Video: Changeover at Assembly Hall

http://www.illinihq.com/video/2012-0...mbly-hall.html
Quote:
Photos: Assembly Hall closing in on 50

http://www.illinihq.com/multimedia/p...all-closing-50
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 03:34 PM   #2
USNIlliniFan
OMG... Rolling Stones concert, Nov 1969...I was there. Has it really been that long? Oh, the greatest of memories in the Hall, there have been so many. What a truly remarkable place.
USNIlliniFan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 07:17 PM   #3
jackman404
Banned
Goes to show there are lots of great memories inside the Hall. Hopefully this new facelift will make it not so outdated.
jackman404 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 07:51 PM   #4
the national
Happy birthday, House of Paign.
the national is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 06:58 AM   #5
ilphotog
The camera never lies
So many memories over the last 20 years, been in that building well over a 1,000 times as Security and a photog.
ilphotog is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 07:28 AM   #6
pizzaman
One of my odd jobs during college was setting up the ice rink and making ice for the ice capades in AH during the holidays. The rink sections were unloaded from a semi and carried onto the AH floor. After the rink sections were set and the refrigerant lines were connected, I grabbed a garden hose and slowly walked backwards spraying a nice thin coat of water over the rink, hour after hour after hour. Nice job for a college kid.
pizzaman is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 08:24 AM   #7
illynifan34
That's a winner!!
Dear Assembly Hall -

Thanks for hosting parties many nights in the winters of 2004 and 2005. Those parties were 2 hours long, but there were 24-48 hour waits. The parties seemed to take minutes and I will never forget the sounds, sights and smells of those parties: squeeks of shoes on the floor, Deeeeeee for Threeeeeeee, Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce, Zombie Nation, whispers of a perfect season; flashes of orange, tall socks, a head band holding back Dee's braids; and the roasted pecans as I inched closed to the door, hot dogs and nachosthe sweat from 5 players on the floor giving it their all.

That was my first year on campus and you sure did show a kid the time of his life, unfortunately my 4 years their didn't end as happily as we both saw a losing season and losses to Miami (OH) and Tennessee State, we almost got that one against the traitor, at least the imposter to the south east hasn't been having much fun the past 3 years.

I hope they make you up nice and pretty and I will return to see your new floor and watch the Orange and Blue surrounded by 1000 screaming college kids still bouncing to Zombie Nation.

-illynifan34

In Mike I Trust

Aggressive

illynifan34 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:54 AM   #8
Obelix
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilphotog View Post
So many memories over the last 20 years, been in that building well over a 1,000 times as Security and a photog.
I've been going to Assembly Hall for almost 30 years. My first game was 27 years ago. And besides games, AH has been the venue for many other functions, entertainment and academic ones.. Obviously, living far away has slowed down my pace.

But over 1,000 times would be a number difficult for anyone to beat. That's an average of more than 50 per year. Congrats!
Obelix is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:03 AM   #9
4LaCosaNostra
the nine inch nails concert in 96 was fun!

anyone know what they want to do with the renovations as far as a main enterance building outside the areana??
4LaCosaNostra is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:40 PM   #10
ilphotog
The camera never lies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
I've been going to Assembly Hall for almost 30 years. My first game was 27 years ago. And besides games, AH has been the venue for many other functions, entertainment and academic ones.. Obviously, living far away has slowed down my pace.

But over 1,000 times would be a number difficult for anyone to beat. That's an average of more than 50 per year. Congrats!
Yeah the events add up, about 30-33 UI hoops events per season, then all the concerts, Broadway Shows, trade shows etc and it could be 50-70 events a year. Security used to be fun but 9-11 changed all of that. I haven't worked Security for a few years now since I started shooting all of the UI sports. But man so many great memories and stories during that time.
My first time at the Assembly Hall was a mens basketball game vs Indiana on March 4th 1984.
Another tid bit is that every year about 1-2 people die at the Assembly Hall, officially they pass at the hospital, usually of a massive heart attack.

Another tid bit part 2- There is a bathroom up in the skybox inside the Assembly Hall. Its that box on the west side of the arena at the top of C-section.
ilphotog is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 01:57 PM   #11
ford
Banned
Horrible venue for BB! Tear it down!
ford is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:22 PM   #12
4LaCosaNostra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford View Post
Horrible venue for BB! Tear it down!
ok,, one word if you dont like it and want a new one..

DONATE
4LaCosaNostra is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »