Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

The Illinois Coaching Search

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:30 PM   #3776
VnZdn1
Posts: 17
It appears that Mike Thomas has his target in mind. My question is did Mike Thomas have a gig in government before he became an athletic director? The reason for my question is the fact that he has had Shaka on his mind for a good long time yet was willing to drop $90k for a "search firm." He seems to spend like a politician!
VnZdn1 is offline
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:32 PM   #3777
VnZdn1
Posts: 17
If we go the assistant route, give Danny Manning a call.
VnZdn1 is offline
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:32 PM   #3778
2005ILLINIWHITESOX
Posts: 209
still going with the fact that my friend (who works for Illini sports) said that the decision will be made within the next few days (spoke to him on Sunday)...I'm thinking by the end of today well have a good outlook on the situation
2005ILLINIWHITESOX is offline
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:32 PM   #3779
saltygrapes
saltygrapes's Avatar
Posts: 1,276
Joe H's article from Sunday had become irrelevant so he writes a new one.

I'm starting to really not like that guy.

Attention ploy to the maximum.

__________________
If you die in an elevator, be sure to push the Up button.
saltygrapes is offline
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:33 PM   #3780
Serious Late
Serious Late's Avatar
Location: Denver via Ann Arbor via Albuquerque via Chicago via Champaign via Peoria
Posts: 2,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericac View Post
Joe H's sources are really down on SS coming to Illini


http://blogs.suntimes.com/hoopsrepor...aka_shaka.html
Quote:
I do hope Shaka Smart changes his mind and fills the dream of Illini fans everywhere
Did I miss somewhere, where Shaka Smart told us no? In order for him to "change his mind", wouldn't he have had to already made up his mind to not come here in the first place?

__________________
One word... Consistency.
Serious Late is offline
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:33 PM   #3781
ericac
Banned
Location: VA
Posts: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltygrapes View Post
Joe H's article from Sunday had become irrelevant so he writes a new one.

I'm starting to really not like that guy.

Attention ploy to the maximum.

I hope, cause it indicates that its a one in a million shot SS comes here
ericac is offline
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:34 PM   #3782
Serious Late
Serious Late's Avatar
Location: Denver via Ann Arbor via Albuquerque via Chicago via Champaign via Peoria
Posts: 2,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericac View Post
Joe H's sources are really down on SS coming to Illini


http://blogs.suntimes.com/hoopsrepor...aka_shaka.html
And for the record, talk about a useless article from Joe.

__________________
One word... Consistency.
Serious Late is offline
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:34 PM   #3783
OrangeFever
Lead, don't follow
OrangeFever's Avatar
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 16,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Note- I turned off the user counters on the site (all the places where it shows how many active users there are), as those counters effect performance, hopefully the server will stop crashing, thank you and Go Illini
That was the only real information we could follow . . . but thank you!
OrangeFever is offline
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:37 PM   #3784
ChitownIllini
ChitownIllini's Avatar
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by VnZdn1 View Post
If we go the assistant route, give Danny Manning a call.
When was the last time a B1G basketball program hired an assistant who wasn't currently in the respective program (i.e., Izzo and Judd)?
ChitownIllini is offline
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:37 PM   #3785
OrangeFever
Lead, don't follow
OrangeFever's Avatar
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 16,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Late View Post
And for the record, talk about a useless article from Joe.
Isn't that the truth. Like everybody else, he's searching for some sort of angle, something to generate more interest for his site. His little "Dumb and Dumber" vignette was just that . . . Dumb. Joe, don't be even Dumber!
OrangeFever is offline
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:39 PM   #3786
Kramer116
Kramer116's Avatar
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltygrapes View Post
Joe H's article from Sunday had become irrelevant so he writes a new one.

I'm starting to really not like that guy.

Attention ploy to the maximum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Late View Post
And for the record, talk about a useless article from Joe.
Yes seriously, not a surprise.

He is a recruiting and HS analyst, not a guy who writes about the Illini coaching search imo.
Kramer116 is offline
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:42 PM   #3787
Flyin Illini
Flyin Illini's Avatar
Location: Arlington Heights, IL
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFever View Post
Isn't that the truth. Like everybody else, he's searching for some sort of angle, something to generate more interest for his site. His little "Dumb and Dumber" vignette was just that . . . Dumb. Joe, don't be even Dumber!
The idea for his article, quite possibly forged as well. Somebody posted a video on this thread either this morning or last night (losing track of the time line with all of this) of that exact same scene from "Dumb and Dumber". Henricksen seems confident Shaka is not coming, but is not confident enough to name a source. His sources are Lloyd Christmas and Harry Dunn.
Flyin Illini is offline
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:42 PM   #3788
ChitownIllini
ChitownIllini's Avatar
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 824
Dan, it might be time to disable all graphics.
ChitownIllini is offline
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:44 PM   #3789
PLauderdale30
Posts: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post
It would be as an assistant coach...
I find this development quite possibly more interesting than anything currently re: Shaka Smart.

Has anyone confirmed that Smith is indeed on-campus? If so, I'd be interested in knowing who is hosting/entertaining him.

Normally head coaches are allowed to comprise their own staff of assistants, so I think it would be rather unique to maybe have two assitants locked in (especially considering you can only have three) before a head coach is even brought on board.
PLauderdale30 is offline
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:45 PM   #3790
bradford_illini
Posts: 130
seriously? the n-g's paul klee has been saying for weeks this is a major factor

just because people dont want to believe its true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeThomas4Prez View Post
Not sure if this has been talked about, or if this guy has any real credibility but this is the first I had heard of it.

[URL="https://twitter.com/#%21/wischlist"]

Also
bradford_illini is offline
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:46 PM   #3791
-josh-
Calm, Collected, German.
-josh-'s Avatar
Location: The paign born and raised
Posts: 5,213
It's amateur hour at the hoops report.

__________________
http://youtu.be/i37uttMA6Mc?t=31s
Looks like it's the University of Illinois!
-josh- is offline
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:46 PM   #3792
Kramer116
Kramer116's Avatar
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLauderdale30 View Post
I find this development quite possibly more interesting than anything currently re: Shaka Smart.

Has anyone confirmed that Smith is indeed on-campus? If so, I'd be interested in knowing who is hosting/entertaining him.

Normally head coaches are allowed to comprise their own staff of assistants, so I think it would be rather unique to maybe have two assitants locked in (especially considering you can only have three) before a head coach is even brought on board.
He was on campus yesterday for sure, nothing definite at all about him getting an offer of any type to be an assistant, but it may have been discussed possibly.
Kramer116 is offline
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:48 PM   #3793
PeoriaSteve
Banned
Posts: 3,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalFour88 View Post
I can't see Weber badmouthing the program. He always said how much he loved being the coach at UI and how he wanted to retire here. He was obviously very broken up about being fired, which means he really loved the program and really loved the job.
+1, anyone that thinks Bruce will dog the UI is just plain goofy.
PeoriaSteve is offline
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:49 PM   #3794
UncleBob
Location: San Clemente, CA
Posts: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post
He was on campus yesterday for sure, nothing definite at all about him getting an offer of any type to be an assistant, but it may have been discussed possibly.
Well, we can always hope that Shaka has already accepted and he is in town conducting assistant coach interviews with MT.
UncleBob is offline
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:52 PM   #3795
MikeThomas4Prez
MikeThomas4Prez's Avatar
Posts: 1,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBob View Post
Well, we can always hope that Shaka has already accepted and he is in town conducting assistant coach interviews with MT.
Shaka is in Wilmington, NC recruiting today.
MikeThomas4Prez is offline
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:52 PM   #3796
illinifan31
Orange Krush Cow
illinifan31's Avatar
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 1,112
I did it! I reached the end! Man..you all wake up wayyy too early. Or I just need to stop waking up at 1pm. But here I am, 1 hour later, cept I got shut out from the forum every now and then on.

So since news is slow coming in, who is everyone's likely sleeper pick? I know this has been discussed, but everyone has a flavor of the day.
illinifan31 is offline
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:54 PM   #3797
ericac
Banned
Location: VA
Posts: 349
So, which reporter/source is accurate, just the ones who report that SS is coming to the Illini? Or will it all be determined after the fact?
ericac is offline
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:55 PM   #3798
PeoriaSteve
Banned
Posts: 3,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniKat91 View Post
When's the last time a Duke assistant has sustained success as a head coach?
Mike Brey at ND, only one I know of.
PeoriaSteve is offline
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:56 PM   #3799
katu06
katu06's Avatar
Location: Downstate
Posts: 2,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan31 View Post
I did it! I reached the end! Man..you all wake up wayyy too early. Or I just need to stop waking up at 1pm. But here I am, 1 hour later, cept I got shut out from the forum every now and then on.

So since news is slow coming in, who is everyone's likely sleeper pick? I know this has been discussed, but everyone has a flavor of the day.
I like Frank Martin, not sure he would get looked at or not if we don't get Shaka.
katu06 is offline
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:56 PM   #3800
OrangeKrush
Banned
Location: Carbondale, IL
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeoriaSteve View Post
Mike Brey at ND, only one I know of.
And he's made it to the Sweet 16 once in his many years at ND. He's really a terrible tournament coach.
OrangeKrush is offline
Closed Thread


« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Forum Jump