Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Tim Beckman talks Illinois

Old Jun 4, 2012, 07:39 AM   #1
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Beckman likes the interaction with fans.

"I love doing this stuff," Beckman said. "It's a part of the job I enjoy. You get to talk about the university. You get to talk about your football program, talk about the kids, talk about my family."

During his time as an assistant, Beckman watched Jim Tressel, Urban Meyer and Mike Gundy make routine public appearances. When he took over at Toledo, he knew it would be part of his job.

Asmussen
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:28 AM   #2
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Summer Conversations: Tim Beckman (Part I)

Let's start by talking about traditions. You said it in your introductory press conference, that tradition is very important. Why is it so important to you?

I think it's the backbone of college football. I've been around football my entire life -- 47 years I've been around it -- and I've been involved in big-time football games. The Ohio State-Michigan games. Auburn-Alabama. Oklahoma State-Oklahoma. And my father was involved with the Steelers-Browns games in the NFL. So to me, tradition in football is the most important thing. It's important that the players understand tradition -- that they understand who it is they're playing for.

That's what I'm trying to portray to this team. It's not about the guys that are playing now, it's about the guys who have played in the past, the ones that built the program and gave you the opportunity to put on this uniform now.

http://alioneye.com/2012/06/13/summe...eckman-part-i/
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:37 AM   #3
AHSIllini32
Banned
Thought it was interesting that one main thing Beckman pointed out was how much of a concern the lack of depth is right now. We need some young guys who can come in and help right away.
AHSIllini32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:37 AM   #4
DrewD007
Coach Beckman just seems like he was born to be a head football coach. I'm extremely glad that he'll be doing it here for the foreseeable future.
DrewD007 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:42 AM   #5
NnannasBananas11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewD007 View Post
Coach Beckman just seems like he was born to be a head football coach. I'm extremely glad that he'll be doing it here for the foreseeable future.
His enthusiasm is contagious. I love being this excited for Illini football in mid-June! Counting the days until I'm back in Champaign and Coach opens practice to the students.
NnannasBananas11 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 02:22 PM   #6
NnannasBananas11
Quote:
Summer Conversations: Tim Beckman (Part II)

The second half of my conversation with Tim Beckman, which marks the end of this summer series. And it isnít even summer yet.

Who is the best recruiter youíve ever been around?

I donít know if thereís just one guy. Coach (Jim) Tressel did an outstanding job in certain areas. Coach (Urban) Meyer, he does a great job. And Coach (Mike) Gundy. If you look at a program, recruiting-wise, that has gone from where we are to the top-5, itís Oklahoma State.

And itís not always about just recruiting, itís about the evaluation. If I had to say who I learned how to evaluate players from, itís my father. He was a player personnel guy in the NFL.

http://alioneye.com/2012/06/15/summe...ckman-part-ii/
NnannasBananas11 is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »