Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois 78, Hawaii 77 OT POSTGAME

Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:12 AM   #251
Illinell
'03 IMPE All Star
Great win! Now can a brother get a replay?!?!
Illinell is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:18 AM   #252
illinichick
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMitch View Post
Rich McBride against Penn St at home?
Oh I remember that one. I was there and had had my younger sister with me who was visiting campus. Such a heartbreaker.
illinichick is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:32 AM   #253
PGMIllini84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
ILLINOIS WINS ILLINOIS WINS ILLINOIS WINS 78-77 DJ RICHARDSON AT THE BUZZER BABY #ILLINI
Yes!!! Great news to wake up to!!! I couldn't make it last night but they had to battle hard to come back!
PGMIllini84 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:47 AM   #254
U of I 89-05-10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsillinifan View Post
Great win for the illini! but we play like this with other b10 teams, we're done
No sh*t, man ... But this was our third game and first road test. I think we'll be just fine.

Great comeback, boys! SO pumped about Maui!
U of I 89-05-10 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:47 AM   #255
blmillini
While it sounded like we played a fairly ugly game, the end of regulation and overtime had to be right up there with the best finishes Illinois has ever had. Obviously the Indiana game with the Flyin' Illini and the Arizona game in '05 were bigger. It was really a shame the game wasn't on. Streaming was terrible and even the audio feed was choppy at best. Even a replay would be fantastic.
blmillini is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:52 AM   #256
chief78
Stream sucked, Illini sucked in the first half and I was tired (east coast time), but in the end, the Illini prevailed due to some good play by TA, BP3 and DJ. Some of the foul calls were very questionable, but that happens on the road. Bigs have to play better - I suspect USC will present some issues with their size. Good win and an important experience for the team. Never give up...
chief78 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:57 AM   #257
Redfoxdogs
ILL! Go illini! Beat the Trojans!
Redfoxdogs is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:59 AM   #258
freddbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by U of I 89-05-10 View Post
No sh*t, man ... But this was our third game and first road test. I think we'll be just fine.

Great comeback, boys! SO pumped about Maui!
First road test is definitely important. Especially when it's a place like Hawaii, where it is very easy to get distracted. It doesn't sound like a good win (fell asleep, gotta back to ILL this morning), but it does appear to be a character victory.
freddbird is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:59 AM   #259
mdonsbach
Last play wasn't on SC Top Ten but Lillard to Leonard was #9!

Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:12 AM   #260
PointGuardU01
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomedude View Post
Early in the year we won several like this.

These kids have heart, just lost mojo late due to coaches insecurity, that won't happen this year.
That's right..up through Ohio state game we were kings of the close game last year. Then it all changed...hope we can keep the mojo all year this season because it doesn't look like there will be any easy wins for us in the B1G
PointGuardU01 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:16 AM   #261
cjcastan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointGuardU01 View Post
That's right..up through Ohio state game we were kings of the close game last year. Then it all changed...hope we can keep the mojo all year this season because it doesn't look like there will be any easy wins for us in the B1G
And I think those were better teams than Hawaii too. St Bonaventure was a tourney team and ISU made it to the valley championship. I believe they beat WSU.

I think this game will be a good cornerstone for the season though and a big confidence booster!
cjcastan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:17 AM   #262
VTIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAndBlue217 View Post
Best game since Arizona? maybe?
In terms of suspense? Definitely. Quality of game play? Not even close. Work to do; work to do.
VTIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:18 AM   #263
PGMIllini84
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdonsbach View Post
Last play wasn't on SC Top Ten but Lillard to Leonard was #9!
Top Ten was "Friday's Top Ten. We may have a shot for Saturday's but it's a busy college football day. That dunk by Meyers sure looked familiar huh?

Go Illini! beat the Boilers today! I'll be there!
PGMIllini84 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:21 AM   #264
Illinois5
Banned
I don't even know what to say.

I stopped watching at half and went to sleep.

Woke up and looked on my phone...freaked out.
Illinois5 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:23 AM   #265
combes
Doubt if espn even has the video to show the shot. Heck, the game was not even listed on their website scoreboard this morning.
combes is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:24 AM   #266
Dan
Admin

IlliniProductionsHD
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:26 AM   #267
trevdv
Best 2:00 AM phone alert ever!

Great game, I fell asleep at the half when it wasn't so great. I think it was the combo of Steve Kelly's terrible calls and...well, the score.

Woke up early this morning and haven't gone back to bed since...too excited.

For those looking for a video replay, I would guess in a day or two it would be in its entirety on www.illinitorrent.net.
trevdv is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:28 AM   #268
trevdv
lol that Hawaii analyst is adamantly positive the shot was good from the start.
trevdv is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:33 AM   #269
PointGuardU01
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrichisamazing View Post
Didn't Groce say Myke Henry was the best rebounder on the team a few weeks ago. We are getting pounded on the boards the whole game so why not give him a chance? Great win though and listening to Groce in the background of the radio feed was entertaining too.
Didn't see the game (lost patience with the buffering) but I would bet Henry sat for the same reason he sat last year...he doesn't play defense. Can anyone that suffered through the game stream comment on how he defended?
PointGuardU01 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:33 AM   #270
Big10Man
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Thanks for the replay, Dan. Wow. What a win.

Horrible job by that ref to wave it off before they went to the monitors. Wasn't really close. Ball was clearly out of his hand well before the horn or backboard went off.

At least, we are now even with the house for the infamous Rich McBrice shot against Penn State in 2006.
Big10Man is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:37 AM   #271
IlliniKat91
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
lol that Hawaii analyst is adamantly positive the shot was good from the start.
Almost sounds like one of our fans... knows the feeling of being screwed by something at the last minute.
IlliniKat91 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:46 AM   #272
Redbirds33333
Any feedback from Recruits (committed or prospects) on Twitter about this win/comback?
Redbirds33333 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:50 AM   #273
bleedsorangenblue
Great win but we definitely have some work to do. Getting down by double digits from the beginning minutes of the game can not happen. Poor defense is not an Illini trademark. Based on this win, the guys and Groce seem to have the pieces and fortitude to turn this into a good team. Liking what I see but we are clearly not there yet.
bleedsorangenblue is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:52 AM   #274
AK Illini
UofI Basketball..off the chain
I'm not half as excited as you all but i'm glad we didn't pick up and ugly loss early.
AK Illini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:57 AM   #275
AEX
Great win last night - it's been a fun morning reading through the post-game and game threads. Glad to see the "keep shooting" mentality paying early dividends and really good to see these guys pull out a close game in a hostile environment. That's going to help foster some confidence in this bunch, I hope.

In regards to the lack of playing time for a couple guys - like M. Henry and Joe B. - who might have helped with the boards, I was wondering if anybody else noted the Groce quote from the Tupper article Dan posted:
Quote:
"But you have to set the rules when you're on the road and we got away with one tonight."
The article doesn't really provide any context for the quote, so it's not clear if Groce just means that you have to set the tone for the game or if he's referring to team rules that weren't followed. Anyone have an idea?
AEX is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »