Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois 78, Hawaii 77 OT POSTGAME

Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:13 AM   #326
illinisc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letswinagain View Post
I didn't watch the game last night, but looking at the box score and reading the posts from those who saw it leads me to a conclusion about this year's recruiting.

Prior to the somewhat surprising Austin Colbert commitment, quite a few folks were speculating that Coach Groce should either go after another point guard or roll the scholarship over and go after a big in '14.

It seems that last night's game indicates that we will need help on the front line next year. Getting Colbert on board as the athletic stretch 4 Coach Groce likes was a good thing.

One of the thoughts prompted by the box score is that our "small" front line players (Myke Henry and Mike Shaw) had better rev their motors and get into the mix ASAP or our front line depth will be a problem this year and next.

I'm not writing this to complain about the win, which was outstanding. Pulling that one out of the fire after taking a gut punch in the first half showed a lot about the potential of this team and the will and fire of the new coaching staff. There's a lot to build on from this win. Can't wait to see how the team plays against Southern Cal.

We definitely need depth in the front court and if Colbert can gain some weight he'll be in the mix for minutes next year. Henry will most likely start at the 4 but he has trouble with taller players so his playing time looks to be dependent on match ups right now.
illinisc is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:17 AM   #327
ILLINISTU
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sure Shot View Post
That was a tournament team! They won the A-10 Tournament, gave Florida State all they could handle in the first round, and had a first round pick on the inside. They were a vastly better team than Hawaii will be this year.

John Groce is getting the benefit of the doubt because he is new, Bruce Weber was held to a higher standard last year because of what had come before. There is nothing wrong with that, but call a spade a spade.
What benefit is Groce's being given?

Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:28 AM   #328
ILLINISTU
The point I was trying to make SureShot is that The St. Bonnies game I expected to win, whether that's right or wrong, but you can't go into Hawaii with a new coach and a program in transition and expect to play a perfect game. That game last night was pure bonus. We went into a hostile environment and stole a game on an off night. As far as St. Bon giving Fla. St. all they could handle, that doesn't hold much weight with me. I respectfully disagree about which game was tougher, I pick on the road at Hawaii over home against St Bon. I think 'vastly' better is quite a stretch.

Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:28 AM   #329
RedButkus
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpfled View Post
Your concerns are valid, but your overly cautious, expectation-tempering is as much of a downer as the people who overreact when things go awry.

People really ought to learn to take sports less seriously, enjoy the fun wins, and not always be worrying about what's going to happen later in the season.

Don't worry, be happy! It's a freakin' game!
RedButkus is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:29 AM   #330
Botb9
Realist
There's plenty to grumble about in this game. However, you can't argue with their fight, their heart, and their toughness.

This team's not likely to be all that good this year, but if they put up 40 (in this case, 45) minutes every game with this kind of effort, they will make some waves.

Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:37 AM   #331
Dan
Admin
AUDIO: The game-winning radio call Illinois-Hawaii.

4:30 mark-

http://www.illinihq.com/audio/2012-1...-11-17-12.html

Edit, the best part was edited out

The best part being, when you could hear Groce in the background proclaim, "That's a winner!"

Last edited by Dan; Nov 17, 2012 at 11:47 AM.
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:40 AM   #332
danielb927
Orange Krush Class of 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sure Shot View Post
That was a tournament team! They won the A-10 Tournament, gave Florida State all they could handle in the first round, and had a first round pick on the inside. They were a vastly better team than Hawaii will be this year.

John Groce is getting the benefit of the doubt because he is new, Bruce Weber was held to a higher standard last year because of what had come before. There is nothing wrong with that, but call a spade a spade.
St. Bona was also 9 games into the season and at home. Factor in the being in Hawaii and first road game of the year aspects, and being down 14 at the half, no complaints about the win. Any grumbling on my part is that rebounding was awful and we started out so slowly. But, you're gonna have some times when you get knocked down and have to fight back, and I'm encouraged that we showed the poise and determination to pull out the win!

Former Illini Pride President (2012-2013)
Orange Krush Class of 2013!

Orange Krush Road Trip @ Iowa, Feb. 3, 2010
danielb927 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:43 AM   #333
Jimmy McNulty
I don't think Hawaii is going to be a world beater but for what it's worth the announcers did say they have a transfer point guard who has to sit out this year. They commented a couple times and were very adamant that if this kid were eligible this year that Hawaii would be a tournament team. They also said that the kids circled the game against Illinois and one against UNLV because they were the only "Big Name" teams on their schedule. So the players no doubt were going to give Illinois everything they could handle and while it wasn't pretty it's a good win.
Jimmy McNulty is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:49 AM   #334
DG1985
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLINISTU View Post
The point I was trying to make SureShot is that The St. Bonnies game I expected to win, whether that's right or wrong, but you can't go into Hawaii with a new coach and a program in transition and expect to play a perfect game. That game last night was pure bonus. We went into a hostile environment and stole a game on an off night. As far as St. Bon giving Fla. St. all they could handle, that doesn't hold much weight with me. I respectfully disagree about which game was tougher, I pick on the road at Hawaii over home against St Bon. I think 'vastly' better is quite a stretch.
well whatever your perceptions, bonaventure last year was a lot tougher game than hawaii. Bonaventure finished as 52 in kenpom. Hawaii as a tough place to play is essentially urban legend. they were 3-4 at home in conference last year. 3-4 on the road. if it was so tough, they'd have a pronounced improvement from road to home.

people are giving Groce the benefit of the doubt. I know I am. And I think that's reasonable for a couple reasons.

first, new coach, new system. work out the kinks.

second, Groce's modest regular season record and good post season record suggests that he focuses early on his system and less on results, ensuring that the players are doing what he wants them to do. sometimes that can cost you games early as players are finding their roles.
DG1985 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:49 AM   #335
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Great photo of @djrich32's game-winning shot by Bruce Asato of the Honolulu @StarAdvertiser. #Illini #Hawaii #B1G http://twitpic.com/be18q7

http://twitter.com/IlliniHoops
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:53 AM   #336
trevdv
I love the radio call (despite Groce's comment being edited out)!

Jerry is fired up...Condolences go out to him and his family.

Glad he could let some of that stress out on a buzzer beater by DJ.

Anybody know if they'll replay the game in its entirety on the radio? Seems like the last couple of years, anytime there's a big game they replay it on the radio in its entirety some point that next week.
trevdv is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:07 PM   #337
Mark Seifert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Great photo of @djrich32's game-winning shot by Bruce Asato of the Honolulu @StarAdvertiser. #Illini #Hawaii #B1G http://twitpic.com/be18q7

A great photo made legendary by the presence of the wig-wearing band in the background.

I can see that caption now: "DJ Richardson Wigs-Out Hawaii Fans With Buzzer-Beating 3"
Mark Seifert is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:10 PM   #338
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Love that pic. Nothing like disappointing a ton of kids wearing afro wigs. The caption should read, "Fro Noooooooo"
BrooksTaylorFan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:16 PM   #339
OrangeAndBlue4Life
Love how the official in the front of the video is waiving off the shot before it even goes in. Just how the officiating went last night lol

University of Illinois founded February 28, 1867. I was founded February 28, 1990. #Destiny #IllinoisBoy4Life
OrangeAndBlue4Life is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:17 PM   #340
OrangeAndBlue217
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksTaylorFan View Post
Love that pic. Nothing like disappointing a ton of kids wearing afro wigs. The caption should read, "Fro Noooooooo"
Ahahaha
OrangeAndBlue217 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:25 PM   #341
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indicchief View Post
Depends on the kids. IF there are 8/9/10 who are willing to play, then they will. Else they will not.

If in the future we have Lyle, Berry, Austin, etc on the team then Groce will go deep. What options does he have?
Well, Bertrand and Griffey did not have good games and they were out there. We all know that DJ isn't good enough to warrant 42 minutes but I agree there are not a lot of guard options. I am surprised that Henry didn't get 18 minutes on a night when Griffey's shot was not falling.

Still. A win is a win. But I will be very disappointed if this is a typical rotation pattern for Coach Groce.

Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:26 PM   #342
illinois_hustle
My Kool-Aid needs vodka
Great win. Yes it was against Hawaii and yes, only three players showed up and yes, we need to improve in just about everything.

So what? It showed heart and it's a great win on the road, and to come back 16 in that environment is really encouraging. I questioned this team's heart last year, so it's fantastic to see it show up again to avoid an early loss.

And you know what? Football sucks currently and fully. The 2nd half of the last basketball season absolutely sucked absolutely. Rejoice in this win, and leave the "yes, but" criticism for another day.
illinois_hustle is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:44 PM   #343
illineuron
Tried to watch the feed. I don't drink anymore so there was no way to tolerate that. Caught a little on the radio on the way to Wallyworld about 1:00 AM.

They had fought back to within 5 at that point and I was going to be happy about them not folding the tent on a bad night, win or lose. Got up and listened to WDWS as they told of the dramatic last second shot by DJ. OMGeezus!

Can't really find anything to worry about that would override my good feelings about this one.
illineuron is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:57 PM   #344
orange julius
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG1985 View Post
well whatever your perceptions, bonaventure last year was a lot tougher game than hawaii. Bonaventure finished as 52 in kenpom. Hawaii as a tough place to play is essentially urban legend. they were 3-4 at home in conference last year. 3-4 on the road. if it was so tough, they'd have a pronounced improvement from road to home.
No.. too simplistic. you have to look at who they played overall at home vs. on the road. Unless you are taking a larger sample size (e.g. the last 10 years or so). And when you just look at conference those are teams that are located out west, primarily. When they play teams from the midwest/east coast they have a huge home court advantage. Last season they beat some good teams at home including Xavier and Clemson. It is clearly difficult for a team to go across 4 time zones and play Hawaii. And especially this Hawaii team which has an NBA prospect and is better than a lot of teams they have had in the past. That is why Groce did not want to play this game... even Chaminade, a DII school, often gives opponents a tough game in the upcoming tournament. I am pleased with the win... if we can beat USC on Monday this will have been a productive trip no matter what else happens.

Last edited by Dan; Nov 17, 2012 at 01:13 PM.
orange julius is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:04 PM   #345
Sure Shot
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLINISTU View Post
I don't know what to tell you. On a neutral floor last year's St. Bonnies team would clobber this Hawaii team.
Sure Shot is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:09 PM   #346
Shenanigans
Wow, I was lying in bed updating illinoisloyalty every 10 seconds to track what happened. What an amazing finish. College basketball is an amazing thing, but lets not schedule anymore of those Hawaii games on their home court.

Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:22 PM   #347
dsboyce
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
I love the radio call (despite Groce's comment being edited out)!

Jerry is fired up...Condolences go out to him and his family.

Glad he could let some of that stress out on a buzzer beater by DJ.

Anybody know if they'll replay the game in its entirety on the radio? Seems like the last couple of years, anytime there's a big game they replay it on the radio in its entirety some point that next week.
Even if it is, I'd pass. With Kelly as the lead announcer, it was very difficult to listen to, even infuriating at times. I can't tell you how many times I yelled at the computer, "Tell us what's happening!!!"
dsboyce is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:27 PM   #348
-josh-
Banana no more
Was just talking with the sales manager for Illini radio and he said that Steve Kelly is flying back tonight and bardo will do pbp for the Maui tourney

Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:34 PM   #349
Dan
Admin
illinihq facebook page-

Last edited by Dan; Nov 17, 2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:34 PM   #350
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by -josh- View Post
Was just talking with the sales manager for Illini radio and he said that Steve Kelly is flying back tonight and bardo will do pbp for the Maui tourney
I'm guessing it's Barnhardt, not Bardo.
WesterveltVictoryCigar is online now Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »