Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Conference Realignment Thread (Maryland & Rutgers join the Big Ten conference)

Closed Thread

Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:31 AM   #226
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Reports on MD 247sports.com that the vote is in, MD to the B1G. Press conference expected this afternoon at 4 pm.

Last edited by WesterveltVictoryCigar; Nov 19, 2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:40 AM   #227
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
Reports on MD 247sports.com that the vote is in, MD to the B1G. Press conference expected this afternoon at 4 pm.
Wow, this whole thing happened so fast. Universities don't usually move this quickly on ANYTHING. The monetary difference must have been huge for Maryland.

Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:44 AM   #228
troyk
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
Wow, this whole thing happened so fast. Universities don't usually move this quickly on ANYTHING. The monetary difference must have been huge for Maryland.
Probably have been discussing it for months but news of it only recently leaked when it looked like it would be a done deal.

Nobody seemed to really know what was going on with Nebraska until a few days before it happened.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:49 AM   #229
Illini87InClt
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyk View Post
Probably have been discussing it for months but news of it only recently leaked when it looked like it would be a done deal.

Nobody seemed to really know what was going on with Nebraska until a few days before it happened.
Most likely, this has been in discussions for a long time and the meeting today for the vote was the final hurdle or rubber stamp. I agree that someone probably let this leak out once the direction became a forgone conclusion. While the discussions could have been going on in the background for months, the money must have expedited the process.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:56 AM   #230
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
I'm thinking this has been in the works since the ND announcement that they were joining the ACC for all sports except football. At that point the B1G decided to move on from ND and go after the eastern TV markets instead. With the side benefit of destabilizing the conference ND decided to join.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:57 AM   #231
DaytonIllini
Maryland votes yes to join B1G.

Quote:
The University of Maryland’s regents on Monday morning unanimously approved the school’s move to the Big Ten, according to ESPN.com, paving the way for a formal invitation. Rutgers University is expected to join as well, which would boost Big Ten to the bigger 14.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,6480106.story

Unanimous. Nothing is unanimous anymore. Must have been a compelling case.

Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:58 AM   #232
Illini87InClt
Quote:
I'm thinking this has been in the works since the ND announcement that they were joining the ACC for all sports except football. At that point the B1G decided to move on from ND and go after the eastern TV markets instead. With the side benefit of destabilizing the conference ND decided to join.
I like the side benefit just about as much as the upside to the new conference members.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:03 AM   #233
cjcastan
Quote:
Maryland is BROKE. They had to eliminate a bunch of sports to hope to get the athletic department to viability.

They needed the B1G for survival let alone fattening their coffers.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:10 AM   #234
Dan
Admin
1:30pm CT live presser on BTN
Quote:
BTN & BTN2Go will have live coverage at 2:30 PM ET of the Maryland press conference announcing it's joining the Big Ten.

http://twitter.com/BTNElizabeth
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:13 AM   #235
IlliniKat91
I love Teddy's tone in that link. A disappointed/upset Greenstein makes me smile.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:16 AM   #236
illinifaninaz
So how long before we hear anything about Rutgers coming into the bigten..... I mean big 13... I mean big14!!!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:20 AM   #237
IntenselyOrange
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
Maryland votes yes to join B1G.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,6480106.story

Unanimous. Nothing is unanimous anymore. Must have been a compelling case.
It's like those bank commercials where you get "more free money" just by being a member. Pragmatism prevailed over emotionalism.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:22 AM   #238
mattcoldagelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntenselyOrange View Post
Pragmatism prevailed over emotionalism.
I'm not sure emotionalism was even bothered to show up in this instance - I mean, you had John Feinstein giving the move a thumbs up, for crying out loud.

@mattcoldagelli

Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:24 AM   #239
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifaninaz View Post
So how long before we hear anything about Rutgers coming into the bigten..... I mean big 13... I mean big14!!!
I'd say 24-48 hours.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:24 AM   #240
Dan
Admin
Quote:
The Big Ten Council of Presidents has approved Maryland's application for admission.

http://twitter.com/sunjeffbarker
Quote:
President Loh, Chancellor Kirwan, B1G Commissioner Delaney and Kevin Anderson will speak at a 3pm ET press conference in Stamp Student Union.

http://twitter.com/alex_prewitt
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:28 AM   #241
IlliniKat91
Holy Cow, they've already approved the application. How long do you think that sucker was sitting in a drawer somewhere?

What are the odds that this is in a bid to make sure the ACC lets them go without imposing the entire $50 million amount? Maybe try to take them off their game a bit with the speed.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:30 AM   #242
BluesBro
Any word on when the schedules reflect their admission?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:31 AM   #243
mattcoldagelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesBro View Post
Any word on when the schedules reflect their admission?
I've seen 2014-15, but unconfirmed. When Rutgers can get out might be a variable.

@mattcoldagelli

Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:32 AM   #244
Dan
Admin
Maryland will join the B1G party in 2014-15.

Quote:
Maryland will join the Big Ten, effective 2014-15 season. BTN Expansion Special & UMD presser to air on BTN/BTN2Go at 2:30pm ET.

http://twitter.com/BigTenNetwork
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:32 AM   #245
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcoldagelli View Post
I've seen 2014-15, but unconfirmed.
Confirmed.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:34 AM   #246
HsvIllini
Completely stupid question, but - if the president of Under Armour financially backed Maryland to make the move as speculated, does that mean they now try to take over more of the B1G or get preferred consideration?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:36 AM   #247
Joel Goodson
Coffee is for closers!
Coolest uniforms ever! LOL
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:39 AM   #248
HsvIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Goodson View Post
Coolest uniforms ever! LOL
Hahaha - I suppose if you're into NASCAR :laugh:
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:39 AM   #249
Dan
Admin
Welcome, #B1GTurtle

Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:41 AM   #250
Groundhogday
Quote:
That timing certainly makes sense. If this goes through with Rutgers as the dance partner, I suppose the ACC adds UConn. This really undercuts Notre Dame, and all but wipes out Big East football. So now maybe they finally do the obvious thing and turn the Big East into a basketball-only east coast conference. All of the Big East football schools can form a new conference without the basketball only schools or turn the Conference USA into a super second tier conference.

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »