Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Pregame: Illinois vs Georgia Tech, Wednesday, November 28th, 8:00pm CT, ESPN2

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:20 PM   #151
Future Walk-On
Future Walk-On's Avatar
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan31 View Post
Hopefully I get onto the floor. Class ends at 7, right when doors open. Gonna be a tight oneeeeee.
leave class early
Future Walk-On is offline
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:22 PM   #152
PVR
Location: Chicago
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVR View Post
Won't be checking the board after about 4, so for real if any students want them (free), shoot me a private message. Hoping to get to campus around 7.
Yo's: Tix are claimed.

I-L-L let's do this.
PVR is offline
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:39 PM   #153
U of I 89-05-10
Location: Iowa City, Ia.
Posts: 1,294
IMO, the big boys each season in college basketball are the programs that stay ranked for a vast majority of the season (as in, excluding the teams that start ranked and can't keep it and the teams that just jump into the rankings after an upset or two) ... which I'm guessing is about 15-20 teams given all the movement the top 25 experiences. When you're one of those teams, you carry a target on your back, people think of you as a "basketball school," your school is thought of as a big time program even when you have a down year or two. Illinois was that type of program and then some from 2000-2006, and we even carried that prestige through the 2008 season (i.e., even though we weren't great in 2007 and sucked in '08, people had no doubt we'd be back). However, from 2009 until now, we've lost a little bit of the respect our program gained in the early and mid 2000s ... but all it would take to get it back is a legitimate stay in the top 25, especially with the recruiting class we have coming in.

What's my point with all of this? I think this game is a lot more important to our program's future/perception than most realize. We're ranked 22nd in both polls, and we made it out of our trap game alive last Sunday, and now we have a winnable home game for the Big Ten/ACC Challenge on national TV, and how we play in this game will likely sway a lot of people on the fence about UI; if we win convincingly, I think people will view Hawaii and Gardner-Webb for what they were ... games where we were off because of the time switch. If we look bad tonight or even lose, it will cost us our ranking and we'll lose a lot of the positive buzz and momentum. I know this sounds melodramatic, but I think this is Illinois' chance to take a relatively huge baby step back into the spotlight. 2006 seems like a long time ago, but it wasn't long enough ago that people wouldn't jump back on the Illini bandwagon the second they had legitimate reason to believe we were "back." I think this game can be that moment.

If we blow out Georgia Tech and look good doing it, we'll almost certainly break into the top 20, and our next two games after that are vs. Western Carolina and at Gonzaga ... I think we'll beat Western Carolina, and a loss at Gonzaga isn't going to drop us too far, and a win would skyrocket us in the rankings. Again, what's the point? This game is pretty essential as to where we go from here, IMO. I think it'd be huge to go into the Big Ten season ranked, and a big win tonight makes that infinitely easier. GO ILLINI!

My new prediction is that Groce and co. show us that this team is for real ... and not to be taken lightly ... unless we just traveled a long way.

Georgia Tech 67
Illinois 91
U of I 89-05-10 is offline
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:39 PM   #154
krushalot
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan31 View Post
Hopefully I get onto the floor. Class ends at 7, right when doors open. Gonna be a tight oneeeeee.
There's always a spot in Krush for the cows
krushalot is offline
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:45 PM   #155
Dan
Admin
Dan's Avatar
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 30,216
Quote:
#Illini shootaround now, ready for tonight's #ACCvsBIGTEN Challenge game vs Georgia Tech, 8 pm at the @Assembly_Hall http://pic.twitter.com/9o8jx4TU



http://twitter.com/IlliniHoops
Dan is offline
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:47 PM   #156
ChiTownIllini22
Banned
Location: Chicago
Posts: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by U of I 89-05-10 View Post
IMO, the big boys each season in college basketball are the programs that stay ranked for a vast majority of the season (as in, excluding the teams that start ranked and can't keep it and the teams that just jump into the rankings after an upset or two) ... which I'm guessing is about 15-20 teams given all the movement the top 25 experiences. When you're one of those teams, you carry a target on your back, people think of you as a "basketball school," your school is thought of as a big time program even when you have a down year or two. Illinois was that type of program and then some from 2000-2006, and we even carried that prestige through the 2008 season (i.e., even though we weren't great in 2007 and sucked in '08, people had no doubt we'd be back). However, from 2009 until now, we've lost a little bit of the respect our program gained in the early and mid 2000s ... but all it would take to get it back is a legitimate stay in the top 25, especially with the recruiting class we have coming in.

What's my point with all of this? I think this game is a lot more important to our program's future/perception than most realize. We're ranked 22nd in both polls, and we made it out of our trap game alive last Sunday, and now we have a winnable home game for the Big Ten/ACC Challenge on national TV, and how we play in this game will likely sway a lot of people on the fence about UI; if we win convincingly, I think people will view Hawaii and Gardner-Webb for what they were ... games where we were off because of the time switch. If we look bad tonight or even lose, it will cost us our ranking and we'll lose a lot of the positive buzz and momentum. I know this sounds melodramatic, but I think this is Illinois' chance to take a relatively huge baby step back into the spotlight. 2006 seems like a long time ago, but it wasn't long enough ago that people wouldn't jump back on the Illini bandwagon the second they had legitimate reason to believe we were "back." I think this game can be that moment.

If we blow out Georgia Tech and look good doing it, we'll almost certainly break into the top 20, and our next two games after that are vs. Western Carolina and at Gonzaga ... I think we'll beat Western Carolina, and a loss at Gonzaga isn't going to drop us too far, and a win would skyrocket us in the rankings. Again, what's the point? This game is pretty essential as to where we go from here, IMO. I think it'd be huge to go into the Big Ten season ranked, and a big win tonight makes that infinitely easier. GO ILLINI!

My new prediction is that Groce and co. show us that this team is for real ... and not to be taken lightly ... unless we just traveled a long way.

Georgia Tech 67
Illinois 91
What?
ChiTownIllini22 is offline
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:56 PM   #157
Leonardite
Leonardite's Avatar
Location: Terre Haute, IN
Posts: 1,143
Is the Chief making an appearance tonight?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

__________________

So easy.
So easy.
So easy.

"Frank Williams putting on a show passing the rock! Driving, Drawing, and Dishing the rock! The three D's man!" --- The Frank Williams Show
Leonardite is offline
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:00 PM   #158
Illiniwek06
Illiniwek06's Avatar
Location: N of I-80
Posts: 1,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardite View Post
Is the Chief making an appearance tonight?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
Liked.
Illiniwek06 is offline
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:03 PM   #159
Illinois5
Banned
Location: Illinois
Posts: 248
I liked it..just in case.
Illinois5 is offline
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:03 PM   #160
Leonardite
Leonardite's Avatar
Location: Terre Haute, IN
Posts: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illiniwek06 View Post
Liked.
We needed 2,000 by game time, but its past 3,200 in 25 minutes. Success

__________________

So easy.
So easy.
So easy.

"Frank Williams putting on a show passing the rock! Driving, Drawing, and Dishing the rock! The three D's man!" --- The Frank Williams Show
Leonardite is offline
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:04 PM   #161
zoggle101
zoggle101's Avatar
Posts: 5,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVR View Post
Yo's: Tix are claimed.

I-L-L let's do this.
zoggle101 is offline
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:06 PM   #162
AEX
Posts: 1,070
Can't help but feel that every game so far this season has been that this-is-the-game-where-we-find-out-if-this-team-is-for-real game. That's the great thing about winning - it allows you to move the goal posts in the right direction.

I'm curious to see how TA bounces back and how we do on the boards in a game where so much focus is going to be on rebounding. When it's been a priority, we seem to have been serviceable. That's something.
AEX is offline
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:06 PM   #163
txillini
Posts: 176
Way over 2k likes now. Looks like an extra treat for those of you lucky enough to go!
txillini is offline
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:09 PM   #164
Leonardite
Leonardite's Avatar
Location: Terre Haute, IN
Posts: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by txillini View Post
Way over 2k likes now. Looks like an extra treat for those of you lucky enough to go!
Maybe. We can only hope!

__________________

So easy.
So easy.
So easy.

"Frank Williams putting on a show passing the rock! Driving, Drawing, and Dishing the rock! The three D's man!" --- The Frank Williams Show
Leonardite is offline
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:15 PM   #165
TCTORNADO
Posts: 4,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEX View Post
Can't help but feel that every game so far this season has been that this-is-the-game-where-we-find-out-if-this-team-is-for-real game. That's the great thing about winning - it allows you to move the goal posts in the right direction.

I'm curious to see how TA bounces back and how we do on the boards in a game where so much focus is going to be on rebounding. When it's been a priority, we seem to have been serviceable. That's something.
TA has been great against man to man but he looked awful against GW's zone. Does anybody know if GT is zone or man to man or combination of both?
TCTORNADO is offline
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:23 PM   #166
IlliniRunIn07
IlliniRunIn07's Avatar
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 4,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEX View Post
Can't help but feel that every game so far this season has been that this-is-the-game-where-we-find-out-if-this-team-is-for-real game. That's the great thing about winning - it allows you to move the goal posts in the right direction.

I'm curious to see how TA bounces back and how we do on the boards in a game where so much focus is going to be on rebounding. When it's been a priority, we seem to have been serviceable. That's something.
Good post. I don't think any of us expected to be ranked or even receiving votes at this point in the season. Most of us would've guessed that we would have some early bumps in the road, and start looking better as the season wore on. At this point, I'm greedy. I want to run the non-conf table, as difficult and unlikely as that may be. It is possible GT slows this game down, and our sloppy play prevents us from winning. It's also possible that we come out and embarrass them worse than we did to USC. That's one of the most exciting this about having a first year coach, and the excitement grows exponentially with every ounce of success he experiences here.

On TA: Groce wasn't shy about Tracy struggling in initial workouts and practices. As the season neared, he talked about how much improvement Tracy was making. TA could be one of those players that dwells on the negatives in a good way. He may be the type of guy to work relentlessly on his shortcomings instead of sulking about past mistakes. He will be one of the most interesting guys to keep an eye on this season.
IlliniRunIn07 is offline
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:27 PM   #167
HsvIllini
HsvIllini's Avatar
Location: Alabama
Posts: 4,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konnie View Post
Gave my ticket to a local fan. Wanted my seat filled for the game. GO ILLINI
HsvIllini is offline
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:30 PM   #168
WizardBill
Illini optimist
WizardBill's Avatar
Location: Charleston, IL
Posts: 1,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvIllini View Post
WizardBill is offline
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:43 PM   #169
PointGuardU01
Posts: 1,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by U of I 89-05-10 View Post
IMO, the big boys each season in college basketball are the programs that stay ranked for a vast majority of the season (as in, excluding the teams that start ranked and can't keep it and the teams that just jump into the rankings after an upset or two) ... which I'm guessing is about 15-20 teams given all the movement the top 25 experiences. When you're one of those teams, you carry a target on your back, people think of you as a "basketball school," your school is thought of as a big time program even when you have a down year or two. Illinois was that type of program and then some from 2000-2006, and we even carried that prestige through the 2008 season (i.e., even though we weren't great in 2007 and sucked in '08, people had no doubt we'd be back). However, from 2009 until now, we've lost a little bit of the respect our program gained in the early and mid 2000s ... but all it would take to get it back is a legitimate stay in the top 25, especially with the recruiting class we have coming in.

What's my point with all of this? I think this game is a lot more important to our program's future/perception than most realize. We're ranked 22nd in both polls, and we made it out of our trap game alive last Sunday, and now we have a winnable home game for the Big Ten/ACC Challenge on national TV, and how we play in this game will likely sway a lot of people on the fence about UI; if we win convincingly, I think people will view Hawaii and Gardner-Webb for what they were ... games where we were off because of the time switch. If we look bad tonight or even lose, it will cost us our ranking and we'll lose a lot of the positive buzz and momentum. I know this sounds melodramatic, but I think this is Illinois' chance to take a relatively huge baby step back into the spotlight. 2006 seems like a long time ago, but it wasn't long enough ago that people wouldn't jump back on the Illini bandwagon the second they had legitimate reason to believe we were "back." I think this game can be that moment.

If we blow out Georgia Tech and look good doing it, we'll almost certainly break into the top 20, and our next two games after that are vs. Western Carolina and at Gonzaga ... I think we'll beat Western Carolina, and a loss at Gonzaga isn't going to drop us too far, and a win would skyrocket us in the rankings. Again, what's the point? This game is pretty essential as to where we go from here, IMO. I think it'd be huge to go into the Big Ten season ranked, and a big win tonight makes that infinitely easier. GO ILLINI!

My new prediction is that Groce and co. show us that this team is for real ... and not to be taken lightly ... unless we just traveled a long way.

Georgia Tech 67
Illinois 91
That was a lot of words to say that it would be good to win and look good tonight and it would be even better to win at Gonzaga. I agree on both counts!

Us 72
Them 64
PointGuardU01 is offline
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:44 PM   #170
PointGuardU01
Posts: 1,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konnie View Post
Gave my ticket to a local fan. Wanted my seat filled for the game. GO ILLINI
Good work
PointGuardU01 is offline
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:07 PM   #171
Dan
Admin
Dan's Avatar
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 30,216
Quote:
Pumped to debut our new @homage shirts tonight! #beatgeorgiatech #ACCvsBIGTEN http://pic.twitter.com/0mQzJuV7



http://twitter.com/Illini_OKrush
Dan is offline
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:08 PM   #172
WizardBill
Illini optimist
WizardBill's Avatar
Location: Charleston, IL
Posts: 1,499
Excellent! Are those for sale anywhere online?
WizardBill is offline
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:18 PM   #173
Holdemall
Posts: 923
So who's up for a gamewatch in Chicago (city only, please)? Anyone know of a good one?
Holdemall is offline
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:24 PM   #174
Dan
Admin
Dan's Avatar
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 30,216
Dan is offline
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:24 PM   #175
theanonymousillini
theanonymousillini's Avatar
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardBill View Post
Excellent! Are those for sale anywhere online?
Shirt and towel are available for purchase here:
http://www.homage.com/store/collegia...s-orange-krush

http://www.homage.com/store/accessor...-krush-rah-rag
theanonymousillini is offline
Closed Thread


« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Forum Jump