Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois ranked #13 in AP Poll, #14 in Coaches Poll (12/03 polls)

Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:45 AM   #26
JimmyChitwood
Just shows how much better of a coach Groce is then Calipari
JimmyChitwood is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:47 AM   #27
GBPillini
Sagarin has Illinois at #25

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/bkt1213.htm

And Pomeroy has them at #35.

http://kenpom.com/
GBPillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:48 AM   #28
CharlesLawrence
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAndBlue217 View Post
Seriously? All our own fans can do is complain about how we arent as good as people think we are? We crack the top 15 and all you can do is discredit the teams accomplishments? SHUT UP! If all you can do is put down a team that has done nothing but achieve this year and talk about how we wont stay there and will drop because we are going to lose games, just go elsewhere. Go find a team you actually want to support. You should be complaining we arent ranked high enough. Regardless of record and who we have or have not played.
This is my nomination for Post of the Year! +1000

Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:48 AM   #29
RyanK
Is there a site that posts each coach's poll? Or are the polls generally kept anonymous?
RyanK is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:58 AM   #30
BananaShampoo
Captain 'Paign
This seems about where we should be. I think the only reason UNC is ranked as high as they are is the name. They got pounded by both Butler (whom we handled easily) and Indiana (more like DESTROYED by Indiana). I don't think they still deserve to be ranked.

Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:03 PM   #31
Illinoiss
Banned
I love it! Keep it up. I have a feeling we'll beat both Gonzaga and MIZ. We've had a few rough years of late and it's time for a change.

ILL
Illinoiss is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:07 PM   #32
WizardBill
Illini optimist
Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaShampoo View Post
This seems about where we should be. I think the only reason UNC is ranked as high as they are is the name. They got pounded by both Butler (whom we handled easily) and Indiana (more like DESTROYED by Indiana). I don't think they still deserve to be ranked.
Having lived in the RTP area, I HATE that they are still ranked, as rank as they have played. Sort of like ND in football a few years back.

Please return Dead and Alive to Edwin Schrodinger
WizardBill is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:07 PM   #33
PVR
Take care of business tomorrow and blow the doors off on Saturday. We're playing with house money and it's so much fun. How could anyone not enjoy this?
PVR is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:08 PM   #34
lexwaldez
Quote:
Seriously? All our own fans can do is complain about how we arent as good as people think we are? We crack the top 15 and all you can do is discredit the teams accomplishments? SHUT UP! If all you can do is put down a team that has done nothing but achieve this year and talk about how we wont stay there and will drop because we are going to lose games, just go elsewhere. Go find a team you actually want to support. You should be complaining we arent ranked high enough. Regardless of record and who we have or have not played.
Wow. Talking about needing to relax a little. Nobody is complaining about how we aren't as good as people think. Some people are stating, in their opinion, that we aren't deserving of a top 15 rating. Nobody is saying they're unhappy with it. Hell, I imagine we'll smile and take the headlines. Stating that we should be higher is not the same as complaining. And pretty much everyone has commented on how fun to watch they are, how hard they've worked, and how they're competing. So these folks are supporting the team.

The problem is, when a bunch of folks jump on a bandwagon "We should be top 10!!!" and then we get into B1G and drop a couple, we get a bunch of folks that tend to start screaming "Groce was a flash in the pan! Groce can't coach! FIRE GROCE! I told you he'd never be successful in B1G!" I'm not saying you're one of those folks, I'm just saying it happens.

Some of us try to take a more even approach. As for myself, I'm very VERY happy that I've seen the kids improve (TG, TA, BP and JB just to name a few). And I couldn't be more pleased to see these kids scrap and fight and refuse to quit. It's not just wins and losses for me it's how those games look and feel. If they'd have dropped a couple close games this season I'd still be happy with how far they've come. I think we have a team to be proud of.

IMHO talking about strengths and including potential weaknesses doesn't detract from our support. If I say that we are most certainly NOT going undefeated this season it doesn't mean I'm attacking the team. Hell I think we could win half our B1G games and friends think I'm crazy optimistic. I don't think it's necessary to attack anyone not offering blind support 24/7 either. If you think there's negativity on this thread go check football.

:laugh:
lexwaldez is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:10 PM   #35
rrmarte
Quote:

Yikes!! Haha. I like your diehard attitude. I just think some of them are trying to look objectively at the rankings.
rrmarte is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:11 PM   #36
kcib8130
WIU alum
Creighton barely moved after losing at home to a bad Boise State team. First home loss in November for them in about 25 years.

Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:14 PM   #37
zoggle101
Surprised Creighton is ahead of us too but they had a couple really good W's earlier in the season.

BSU almost outed MSU on their home court. Heir top scorer Marks who list Chicago as his hometown has been great.

I thought Oregon and Va Tech would crack the top 25 and GT would be ranked higher even after their stinker with the Vols. They did take an elite IU team to overtime which should hold some merit because it's obvious our Maui championship does by our ranking. Wow, UNC is way too high. They should of dropped out of the polls.

Last edited by zoggle101; Dec 3, 2012 at 12:19 PM.
zoggle101 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:15 PM   #38
OskeeMoose
Quote:
YIKES!!! Oversensitive much?

So what you're saying is that unless we whole-heartedly believe with every ounce of our beings that the Illini are the 14th (or 13th) best team in the country then we should "Go find a team you actually want to support". Seriously? What if I do actually want to support the Illini? Then what am I supposed to do?

I love being 8-0. I love being back in the top 15. Do I think we are one of the 15 best teams in the country? Sorry, not yet. Would I love to be wrong about that? Absolutely, positively and with every ounce of my being!!!

That being said I do have a brain, a set of eyes, and what I consider to be a better than average basketball IQ. Using those tools, I will complain when I think we're under-ranked, and smile and acknowledge the fact when I think we are over-ranked. And even all of that will be biased by my orange-shaded point of view.

I didn't realize that recognizing these polls as flawed constituted "treason" and that I would forever be fanished from the land of the "true fan."

Relax folks. This season has been a blast so far, but there is a lot of wood yet to be chopped. Hopefully we'll keep winning the close ones, knock off a big boy or two along the way and have a terrific season. But if you made me bet I would say this is likely the highest ranking we'll achieve all year.

If we go 2-0 this week, I will be wrong and will be thrilled about it!!

OskeeMoose is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:16 PM   #39
OskeeMoose
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVR View Post
Take care of business tomorrow and blow the doors off on Saturday. We're playing with house money and it's so much fun. How could anyone not enjoy this?
+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:17 PM   #40
Shiloh
Not that I'm complaining or anything, but how can we possibly be ranked this high? AP/coaches must have a pretty high opinion of Georgia Tech...
Shiloh is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:18 PM   #41
BexleyIllini
I love that we're ranked so high. We now get to see how Coach Groce handles success. I'll take it.
BexleyIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:25 PM   #42
zoggle101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
Not that I'm complaining or anything, but how can we possibly be ranked this high? AP/coaches must have a pretty high opinion of Georgia Tech...
They look like a top 75-100 team right now but I get what you're saying.
zoggle101 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:25 PM   #43
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb927 View Post
Highest (AP) ranking since week 6 in 2010-2011, right before the UIC game. We were #12 that week. Before that, it was the final week of the 2005-2006 season, in which we were #13. Quite possible I may have missed one in there, but I don't think so.
^^ (via collegepollarchive)
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:28 PM   #44
2005ILLINIWHITESOX
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesLawrence View Post
This is my nomination for Post of the Year! +1000
+1...we complain about how poor we were last year for the second half of the season and then when we are finally playing well in a whole new year under a completely new coaching staff we start complaining about how we are ranked too high...doesn't make much sense to me...let's enjoy this ranking and keep getting victories
2005ILLINIWHITESOX is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:31 PM   #45
Botb9
Realist
We're making some waves. Perception is reality, folks, and people are impressed by this team so far. Could it be smoke and mirrors? Certainly, but let's enjoy it and wave this ranking in front of the faces of recruits nationwide to show them how good Illinois can be!

Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:31 PM   #46
danielb927
Orange Krush Class of 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Thanks for the link, I figured that kind of chart would be out there somewhere, but couldn't find it!

Former Illini Pride President (2012-2013)
Orange Krush Class of 2013!

Orange Krush Road Trip @ Iowa, Feb. 3, 2010
danielb927 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:35 PM   #47
mattcoldagelli
Quote:
You should be complaining we arent ranked high enough. Regardless of record and who we have or have not played.
Only if you want to be a total knob.

mattcoldagelli is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:38 PM   #48
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanK View Post
Is there a site that posts each coach's poll? Or are the polls generally kept anonymous?
http://www.pollspeak.com/component/o.../t1,37/v,/w,5/

65 pollsters.

Illinois was ranked anywhere from #10 to #25 to unranked.

Dick Weiss (NY Daily News) & John Feinstein (NPR) ranked Illinois 10th.

The N-G's Marcus Jackson ranked Illinois 15th.

Dave Borges (New Haven Register) & Hugh Kellenberger (Clarion-Ledger, Jackson, Mississippi) did not rank Illinois.

Last edited by Dan; Dec 3, 2012 at 12:44 PM.
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:41 PM   #49
lstewart53x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
http://www.pollspeak.com/component/o.../t1,37/v,/w,5/

65 pollsters. Illinois was ranked anywhere from #10 to #25 to unranked.

Dick Weiss (NY Daily News) & John Feinstein (NPR) ranked Illinois 10th.

The N-G's Marcus Jackson ranked Illinois 15th.

Dave Borges (New Haven Register) & Hugh Kellenberger (Clarion-Ledger, Jackson, Mississippi) did not rank Illinois.
I understand why some people wouldn't have us in the top 15, but how do you not have Illinois ranked at all?

I don't think there are 25 teams that have as good of a resume as we do.
lstewart53x3 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:43 PM   #50
OskeeMoose
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005ILLINIWHITESOX View Post
+1...we complain about how poor we were last year for the second half of the season and then when we are finally playing well in a whole new year under a completely new coaching staff we start complaining about how we are ranked too high...doesn't make much sense to me...let's enjoy this ranking and keep getting victories
I really don't think people are "complaining" about being ranked too high, just pointing out that in reality we're probably not quite there yet. As for me, I absolutely love being ranked too high....assuming the team handles it properly and doesn't start buying into it too much.

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »