Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Michael Finke commits to Illinois

Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:34 AM   #276
DG1985
Banned
Time release Koolaid

Apparently, someone put a time release formula in my Koolaid. while I was happy about this recruitment earlier this week, I feel even better about it today.

Welcome Mr. Finke.
DG1985 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:02 PM   #277
Kramer116
http://www.illinihq.com/blogs/recrut...ommitment.html

Quote:
"Last year at this time," the younger Finke said, "I had no schools interested in me."

"It's a combination of a little bit of exposure, a lot of hard work, and the bottom line is the world has shrunk," ESPN recruiting analyst Dave Telep said. "Good news travels fast. When you get a 6-10 guy who thinks the game and has legitimate skill, South Dakota State knew they had a window of about a week. What it says is it can happen at anytime."

"He has gone from basically completely off the radar 12 months ago to legitimate high-major," Henricksen said. "He's not a reach at all at this point. He made up a lot of ground in a short period of time. What's so exciting about him is that he has so much more room to grow physically and as a player. He's just barely started to tap into his potential."

"What's nice for (Illinois) is it's a natural fit and a position of need in terms of a guy of size who can spread the floor for them and knock down shots," Henricksen said. "He's a skilled four man. He can pass it and shoot it. His body is really going to fill out, and that's going to lend himself to be a better and more productive player down the road than he is probably right now."

"I do want to address something. I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in it's place. I'm going to tell you what place it's in. It's in a great place. That's what place it's in.... So if anyone wants to know what place Illinois college hoops is in right now, it's in a great place. Not a good place. A great place" - JFG
Kramer116 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:47 PM   #278
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post
Thanks for posting that.

Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:05 PM   #279
Illini70math
Quote:
Originally Posted by job71188 View Post
Cole had his limitations, but he was definitely not well utilized. I know for a fact that Weber consistently told him that his role in the offense was not to score so he should pass up shots. He was always a decent 3 point shooter at Illinois. While he certainly couldn't have held his own in the post against a Big 10 PF, he played the 3 position at Illinois. Cole was 6'9"; I would have liked to see once Weber spread the floor and allow Cole to go 1 on 1 against his 6'4" defender closer to the basket.

In his first season in Europe, he averaged 16.8 ppg and 8 rpg and led the league in blocks.
I was always a big Bill Cole supporter (unlike many who bashed him from the day he was recruited), but in all fairness the "league" he played in was a Scottish(?) club league that paid room, board, and pocket change, IIRC. I was really happy that Bill got to live his dream of playing basketball as a "pro" overseas, but I doubt his competition in that league was as good as typical midmajor teams, let alone the Big Ten.
Illini70math is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:44 PM   #280
MTILLINOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini70math View Post
I was always a big Bill Cole supporter (unlike many who bashed him from the day he was recruited), but in all fairness the "league" he played in was a Scottish(?) club league that paid room, board, and pocket change, IIRC. I was really happy that Bill got to live his dream of playing basketball as a "pro" overseas, but I doubt his competition in that league was as good as typical midmajor teams, let alone the Big Ten.
This staff is open to letting the guys just play. That's reason #1 why we haven't lost yet.
MTILLINOIS is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:34 PM   #281
rmlsr
Quote:
Originally Posted by midastouch11 View Post
Finke to Illinois.

Michael Finke ‏@Finke_Michael
OUR STATE OUR TEAM! Proud to call myself part of the #ILLINI
I am a little late with my post(been busy this week) but I am very excited to get Michael Finke locked up!!! Welcome aboard Finke!!!
rmlsr is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:27 PM   #282
Chilliniwek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clete1 View Post
What's not to like about this commitment?

By several expert accounts Finke is already more accomplished than Griffey was at the same age and has more upside to play back to the basket and also defend. And we see how Griffey is flourishing under Groce.

As for the lack of scholarships, it's not as though there is a long line of superstar talent eager for the slot just grabbed by Finke. If by some miracle (like the National Championship we are on the way to winning this year) some 5* wants it, there will be room. It makes no sense to disparage his other offers. Purdue and Wisconsin have both been better than us in recent years, as has KSU.

And on a personal level I enjoyed the kid's comments. My daughter is bouncing off the walls waiting until 4 PM tomorrow to find out if she gets into UI. I have a soft spot for any kid, athlete or otherwise, who says "this is where I belong".
I know I'm off topic, but I hope she got good news today.

And if MF needs to gain some weight, maybe we can bring in Mike T and get him on the 7,000 calorie a day diet.
Chilliniwek is online now Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:00 PM   #283
rbachhuber
aka Flash Gordon, earthling
Location: Planet Earth, when not battling Ming the Merciless on Mongo (or sometimes Mars)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesxfan2012 View Post
I think we can all agree Coach Groce is NOT done with 2014 class
This was posted by someone on page 2 of this thread:

Turns out Illinois' quick start helped Finke's decision.

"I watched how they played and saw how I can fit in," Finke said.

Finke is Groce's first commit in the Class 2014. At least one more scholarship will be open for Groce to use

http://www.illinihq.com/sports/illin...-illinois.html
Could be referring to the +1 oversign a school is allowed.
rbachhuber is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:53 PM   #284
Rich
JFG Fan Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbachhuber View Post
That link is broken (was posted earlier in this thread), so here it is if someone wants to read it: http://www.illinihq.com/sports/illin...-illinois.html
Rich is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:29 PM   #285
IlliniEX2011
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilliniwek View Post
I know I'm off topic, but I hope she got good news today.

And if MF needs to gain some weight, maybe we can bring in Mike T and get him on the 7,000 calorie a day diet.
Haha that reminded me of the time I saw Tisdale wandering the aisles of county market. He looked lost until he spotted some Pepperidge Farm Milanos and went on his way. I wanted to tell him that a 5,000 calorie diet shouldn't include an entire package of cookies, but the season was already hopeless.
IlliniEX2011 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:53 PM   #286
combes
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbachhuber View Post
As I am sure you know, a school can over sign by one but must be back down to 13 by the time the school year starts. Over sign gives a school time to figure out the roster, but someone would still have to leave.
combes is online now Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:55 PM   #287
combes
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniEX2011 View Post
Haha that reminded me of the time I saw Tisdale wandering the aisles of county market. He looked lost until he spotted some Pepperidge Farm Milanos and went on his way. I wanted to tell him that a 5,000 calorie diet shouldn't include an entire package of cookies, but the season was already hopeless.
Our current team could really use a Tisdale this year. He would be great in this system, IMO.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:27 PM   #288
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by combes View Post
Our current team could really use a Tisdale this year. He would be great in this system, IMO.
I actually like Egwu/McLovin rather than MT. Stats on a 40 minute basis are very close and defensively no comparison. Now if you want to put ML on the current team and JR (with a proper mind), I'll take that and even predict a
Final Four.
TCTORNADO is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:07 PM   #289
Dan
Admin
Michael Finke's father - former Illini football player Jeff Finke - on this morning WDWS.

Starts at 1:20:00 -

http://www.illinihq.com/audio/2012-1...-12-15-12.html
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:11 PM   #290
combes
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
I actually like Egwu/McLovin rather than MT. Stats on a 40 minute basis are very close and defensively no comparison. Now if you want to put ML on the current team and JR (with a proper mind), I'll take that and even predict a
Final Four.
Disagree. Tisdale would be a major upgrade. Hopefully, Egwu will develop but right now we could use a player like Tisdale. You had to put two players together to match what Tisdale did. I would take Tisdale and a backup over what we currently have.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:12 PM   #291
illinicb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Michael Finke's father - former Illini football player Jeff Finke - on this morning WDWS.

Starts at 1:20:00 -

http://www.illinihq.com/audio/2012-1...-12-15-12.html
I listened to it earlier today. It was interesting to get a little insight into the process. Michael's journey has been a little different in that he was not a can't miss five star from the start.

BTW, Jeff Finke has a very late night FM DJ quality to it. I may have to listen to a reply tonight if I can't fall asleep.

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »