Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

John Groce press conference & player interviews (12/20)

Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:49 PM   #1
Dan
Admin
Free Live Video: John Groce Braggin' Rights press conference.

1:30pm CT-

http://www.fightingillini.com/allaccess/?media=349444

Last edited by Dan; Dec 20, 2012 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Added link
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:53 PM   #2
Cool Hand Luke
Founder, Mike Thomas Fan Club
I hope he pulls a Crean: "At this time we are not recruiting Jabari Parker."

Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:04 PM   #3
IlliniRunIn07
Is this normal? Just to discuss the Braggin Rights game? Or a "state of the Union" speech thus far?
IlliniRunIn07 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:10 PM   #4
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniRunIn07 View Post
Is this normal? Just to discuss the Braggin Rights game? Or a "state of the Union" speech thus far?
Groce always has at least one presser per week. (Not all of them are available for free to watch on Illini Access though)

Last edited by Dan; Dec 20, 2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:11 PM   #5
Dan
Admin
Free video: John Groce's Braggin' Rights press conference

1:30pm CT

http://www.fightingillini.com/allaccess/?media=349444
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:22 PM   #6
IlliniRunIn07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Groce always has at least one presser per week. (Not all of them are available for free to watch on Illini Access though)
Ah, ok thanks! I got really nervous/excited for a minute there.
IlliniRunIn07 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:42 PM   #7
Dan
Admin
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:45 PM   #8
Dreamteam05
Loren Tate might have just asked the dumbest question ive heard lol. I cant remember it exactly word for word, but he asked why dont we play more rivalry games like the mizzou game? Groce seemed annoyed and confused by the question lol
Dreamteam05 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:46 PM   #9
Dan
Admin
Loren Tate complains about a lack of great non-conference games.

Groce clowns Loren, rattles off Illinois' tough non-conference schedule.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:47 PM   #10
trevdv
There are still some finals going on today?
trevdv is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:49 PM   #11
danielb927
Orange Krush Class of 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
There are still some finals going on today?
Yep, today is the last day of finals this year.

Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:51 PM   #12
Dan
Admin
Groce ponders a question from Rob McColley

Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:51 PM   #13
Dreamteam05
Rob Mccolley gets on Groce's nerves! He just asked to know how they play on defending Pressy. He wanted specifics, and groce basically told him to shut it.

Rob needs to learn what to ask and what not to ask, this seems like a joke to him if you listen to his tone of voice. He is a joke.
Dreamteam05 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:54 PM   #14
zhawks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamteam05 View Post
Loren Tate might have just asked the dumbest question ive heard lol. I cant remember it exactly word for word, but he asked why dont we play more rivalry games like the mizzou game? Groce seemed annoyed and confused by the question lol
Yeah I couldn't really believe that question made no sense at all and Tate had no response lol.

Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:54 PM   #15
trevdv
Quote:
Rob Mccolley gets on Groce's nerves! He just asked to know how they play on defending Pressy. He wanted specifics, and groce basically told him to shut it.

Rob needs to learn what to ask and what not to ask, this seems like a joke to him if you listen to his tone of voice. He is a joke.
Exactly. You don't ask a coach, "If I promise not to put it on the internet, can you tell me what type of defense you'll be playing?" First of all, this stream is on the internet. Second of all, that's just a dumb question to begin with.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:57 PM   #16
RichBradIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
Exactly. You don't ask a coach, "If I promise not to put it on the internet, can you tell me what type of defense you'll be playing?" First of all, this stream is on the internet. Second of all, that's just a dumb question to begin with.
Absolutely mind boggling.
RichBradIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:01 PM   #17
troyk
Banned
I appreciate McColley for putting up player interviews and what not, but the guy is a bit of an odd duck. It also appears he's self-trained with the questions he asks. Anyone with any proper journalism training knows when you are on the record with a "source" you don't ask him for confidential information.

That's just elementary stuff.
troyk is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:06 PM   #18
Dan
Admin
Quote:
#Illini coach Groce: Shows up in shorts and t-shirt. "Shows toughness"

Groce: Excited about the game on Saturday. Heard about it from the moment he got the job. Guys are excited to play.

Groce: A little more pep in their step, guys are locked in right now. Practices have been great.

Groce: Size concerns you most with rebounding margin, third in country. Depth with Jabari Brown added.

Groce: Pressy reminds of D.J. Cooper, Groce's former Ohio guard.

Groce: Missouri is getting better each game. Haith done a good job with new faces.

Groce: Lot of Illinois' players have played in the Braggin' Rights game, comes down to execution.

Groce: Wife told him there was a lot of advice for him in the newspaper today from former players.

Groce: Atmosphere is going to be electric. After first few minutes coaches will coach their guys and calm down.

Groce: Seniors have talked about never having won this game. Saturday's game is separate from all the past games.

http://twitter.com/MarcusJ_NG
Quote:
John Groce shows up to presse conference in shorts, t-shirt and running shoes. #illini

Groce: Heard about Braggin Rights game from moment he got the job. You can tell there's a little bit more of a pep in their step

Groce: We're playing a great basketball team. Size in the post concerns him the most. Also deep with addition of Jabari Brown

Groce: It starts with Pressey, who reminds him of DJ Cooper from his Ohio Days. Great vision.

Groce: I can see Mizzou getting better every game. Haith done a great job molding new pieces together.

Groce: Players will be amped, but after 4 or 5 minutes, Frank's going to coach his team, I'm going to coach my team.

Groce: Concerned most about Mizzou's rebounding. Got talent and they got size. We got to block out well, be willing to be physical

http://twitter.com/WernerESPNCU
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:08 PM   #19
Botb9
Realist
Quote:

Have you all seen the commercial where Ray Lewis is in the press conference and the little girl starts peppering him with all sorts of questions not related to football? This is kinda how I see Rob. It's not that the questions aren't valid. It's just that there is a lack of professionalism. Of course you don't ask a coach to reveal his whole game plan to you.

Perhaps an even better parallel is the old SNL skits where Chris Farley would get some star on there and ask, "Hey, remember that scene in whatever movie you were in? That was awesome."

Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:08 PM   #20
trevdv
It may seem like elementary, but it's great to hear we've been having quality practices. What with the distractions of finals, I'm glad our guys are able to keep concentrated. Seems like whenever JG says we weren't as impressive in practice a certain week, we don't perform as well (i.e. West Chester, Norfolk, etc.). Glad the distractions aren't getting to them.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:08 PM   #21
Jabber Jabber
Quote:
"That's a clown question, bro."
Jabber Jabber is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:09 PM   #22
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Groce: Regardless of what UI seniors record was previously, it has no effect on Saturday's game. Have to be mentally tough

Groce: The rivalry embraces what college basketball is all about.

Groce: Scheduling needs balance. Play Mizzou game, UC game, Big Ten/ACC Challenge, plus 18 B1G games. I like our schedule.

Groce: Seen just about everything defensively, which has been great. Hope the experiences through 12 games, prepare them for Sat

Groce: Can't tell much of a difference in mindset between Gonzaga preparation and now.

Groce: Played with good energy and effort on Sunday, but got careless with the ball. We played hard. Great effort and energy

Groce: Tyler Griffey has a final today, after that team is done. It's "all ball" for team right now, gives them chance to "lock in"

Groce: "People like good stories. They like to watch giants crash and David rise. ...We're just worried about getting better."

Groce: Mizzou maybe has the best collection of guards they've played this year.

Groce: Offensively have to continue to improve ball movement, ball security and move at a quicker pace

http://twitter.com/WernerESPNCU
Quote:
Groce: St. Louis area product, Tyler Griffey is excited to get back home and play.

Groce: One of three teams in top 25 to have played three Top 100 RPI games.

Groce: Hopes they feel battle-tested. Two true road games with great crowds, Maui, different styles of opponents to this point

Groce: Can't tell much of a difference in players' mindset prior to this game versus the Gonzaga game.

Groce: Players saw predictions prior to Gonzaga, probably gave them more of a chip.

Groce: Still got a couple of final exams. It's all basketball here fora while and gives a chance to teach and get better.

Groce: Not sure if there are still doubters. People like good stories. They're worried about getting better. Can't control it.

Groce: Missouri uses their size to their advantage on defensive end. Might have best collection of guards they've played.

Groce: Offensively would like to see more ball movement and at playing at a quicker pace in half court.

Groce: Got to rebound better and would like to get more consistent in defending the three-point line.

http://twitter.com/MarcusJ_NG
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:12 PM   #23
trevdv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Groce: Regardless of what UI seniors record was previously, it has no effect on Saturday's game.
Kinda surprised by this. I know he hasn't ever participated in a Bragging Rights game, but it seems to me like "revenge" would be a huge factor for how our seniors will play in this game.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:12 PM   #24
Botb9
Realist
Quote:
Groce: Offensively would like to see more ball movement and at playing at a quicker pace in half court.
My number one concern for the offense right now. The pace is fine in transition and on defense, but we're a step slow in the half-court.

Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:24 PM   #25
peace davids
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyk View Post
I appreciate McColley for putting up player interviews and what not, but the guy is a bit of an odd duck. It also appears he's self-trained with the questions he asks. Anyone with any proper journalism training knows when you are on the record with a "source" you don't ask him for confidential information.

That's just elementary stuff.
Agree, but often McColley will come up with an astute observation. One that actually surprises and possibly impresses JG. It's usually a situational substitution pattern, or something of that nature. HOWEVER, he rarely follows it up with a meaningful question. JG can usually respond with something like, "Yeah, we did that... Next?"
peace davids is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »