Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Missouri 82, Illinois 73 POSTGAME

Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:58 PM   #126
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Rapid Reaction: Missouri 82, Illinois 73

Turning point: Missouri wasn't able to pull away from Illinois until the final minutes. The Tigers closed the game on a 10-3 run. Pressey and Jabari Brown combined for eight points in the run.

Key player: Pressey proved the theory that a player can influence a game without shooting well. He was 3-of-19 from the field and finished with 12 points. But he still was a difference-maker as he pushed the tempo and found open teammates.

Key stat: The Tigers outrebounded Illinois 48-30, including 17-10 on the offensive glass.

Scott Powers
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:59 PM   #127
T Fly2000
I think we all knew we would lose the rebounding battle..Felt like we should have went small anyway and pressed them more getting the ball out of Pressys' hands..Griffey is just not a player that can adapt to different styles of play..For lack of a better term he is just a one trick pony...
T Fly2000 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:59 PM   #128
orangeroses07
Quote:
Originally Posted by -josh- View Post
God I hate Missouri
+10000000000000000000000000 X 10^26 (Scientific Notation)

Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:59 PM   #129
WinOrElse
For those of you riding Griffey or anyone else, and wanting someone else to start, try to remember that Groce knows more about this team than everyone on this forum combined. He will put the guys on the court that gives us the best chance to win. He will play a style that gives us the best chance to win with what he has to work with. Same goes for substitutions, time outs, etc. That doesn't mean we will win every game. Give it a rest.
WinOrElse is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:00 PM   #130
Archie
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaIllini14 View Post
Valentine is in it for the show. He gave duke the nat'l title against butler. Bertrand needs more PT. double technical was a joke. Btw I didn't end up getting any tickets to this game. I hate phil pressey as well
You'd love him if he was an Illini
Archie is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:00 PM   #131
Illini70math
9 Observations from the Missouri Game:

1. The dominant stat was the 62-38 advantage Mizzou had on the boards, and certainly that was a big factor, but the real difference in my opinion was our inability to make shots. Our shooting was terrible at 33.8% (25-74) overall and 25% (8-32) from three. We did a good job from the free throw line at 78.9% (15-19), but Mizzou was better at 79.2% (19-24). This type of shooting will be a problem in the B1G. In all honesty, we took a LOT of bad shots.

2. On the bright side, Nnanna actually played well against a dominant front line, almost getting his first double-double. Nnanna playing at that level is more important than this one game in the long run. Unfortunately, this was not a particularly good game for Sam. He played hard, but not very effectively.

3. The game ball goes to Pressey, although when you look at his 3-19 you might wonder why. Not only was he the motor that drove their offense, but even his misses often turned into baskets because of how they hit the boards. Much of that came from multiple Illini players trying to stop Pressey on a drive but failing to stop his great passing or being out of position on the rebound when he missed. He is really good, by the way!

4. Our defense was very uneven. They didn't shoot well from three, but we were giving Mizzou wide open threes on a regular basis. That won't work against many B1G opponents, so that is a concern.

5. It wasn't enough to shift the game, but Tyler Griffey was a positive contributor on offense. I found it somewhat disappointing that we didn't run enough plays to get him more open threes earlier because he was obviously much more in the zone than our other outside shooters.

6. It wasn't enough, but Joe B also tried to do his Superman impersonation for the second Bragging Rights game in a row. He and Tyler were the two big contributors in the Illini second half run that took us from down 6 at the half to up 3 with 6:57 to go. From that point on, Mizzou outplayed us.

7. One other bright spot was that we did have some good results from pressuring them at times. We are not there yet, but we are also only 13 games into learning a new defensive system. We need to keep improving, but I was encouraged by our pressure at times.

8. I felt that we fought hard and showed good physical toughness. To be honest, I didn't think we showed great mental toughness in the crunch as a group. There was too much free lancing on offense and we were slow to get back on defense at times late in the game. Mizzou kept believing even when they were down.

9. This game doesn't matter anymore. The most important game on our schedule is coming up in Chicago against a beatable Auburn team. Do what we should be able to against them, and we end up the nonconference at a fantastic 13-1. We must not lose sight of the real goal for this season, which is to make the NCAA tourney.

Go Illini!
Illini70math is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:01 PM   #132
Illini2016
I am remaining very positive after this game. At the beginning I was worried that this team couldn't hang with high-level competition. The Gonzaga game made me feel a little better, but I was worried that it was because Gonzaga was overrated. Even though we lost today, I know that we are playing at a level that can compete against the best teams in the country. We should not drop too far in the rankings, but we come out of the game with knowledge, experience, and no more doubt about our ability to compete.

Class of 2016
Illini2016 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:01 PM   #133
-josh-
Banana no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by foby View Post
In other news, K State is beating down Florida.
Weber will coach them into a loss don't worry.

Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:01 PM   #134
AK Illini
UofI Basketball..off the chain
Not as bad as i had expected. We shot bad, got destroyed on the glass and hung right there with a good team on their game. could be way worse
AK Illini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:01 PM   #135
BenjIllini
Hoopin Groce Style
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
Missouri KILLED us on the boards so to single out Griffey is just ignoring the fact that we don't have a big down low that can hang with Missouri's, period.
He didn't guard anyone! The whole team deserves blame but TG is at the top when it comes to awful defense.
BenjIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:01 PM   #136
JimmyChitwood
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltygrapes View Post
62-57, Mizzou goes on a 13-2 run.

Paul did nothing in the last 7 minutes after coming back into the game,

DJ Richardson played one of the worst games I've ever seen him play, and he's had some stinkers.

The team competed the entire night though, so that's a positive.
I was kind of hoping Paul didnt come back in..We were playing better with him on the bench..He was forcing way to much and he didnt have it tonight. Oh well, it's one game and time to move on to the next one. Sucks, but their bigs ate us up tonight..Props to Egwu for playing pretty well for the most part. He has quietly put together a couple of really good games. We just need to start hitting more shots and passing the ball around a bit more to find better shots then the ones we were taking tonight. Only teams that we will play again that will be as aggressive down low as Mizzou in the B1G will be Mich St and Minnesota so we have that going for us lol.
JimmyChitwood is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:02 PM   #137
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie View Post
There will be more points scored due to the fact Illinois will actually play faster next year because of the players coming in.
So how does that mean that whoever replaces Griffey will be better? You think a brand new player, most likely a Freshman, will be better than what Griffey has brought us this year?
AHSIllini32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:02 PM   #138
jmac85
Our bigs are weak! Nanna had a great first 5 minutes and Sam had some solid minutes, but we need more boards out of them! TG, can hit open looks, but doesnt provide anything else! MH brings more to the table and shoul get more minutes IMO!

BP3, Played 2 different halfs. The first half he was a leader and got to the ft line. The second half it seemed like he played passively even though he had a big height advantage over Pressey!
jmac85 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:02 PM   #139
lstewart53x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniSpine View Post
Agree but we are the Rodney Dangerfield of NCAA bball...and that won't change unless/until we have a couple NCAA tourney seasons under Groce's belt.
Nah. I know it feels like everyone is picking on us, but a lot of sports writers actually have a tendency to over rate us, not under rate us.

We'll probably have a similar drop that Gonzaga did, when we beat them, to probably 13 or 14. If we beat Auburn next Saturday, we'll probably jump up a spot or two depending on who wins and loses next week and if we beat Purdue and OSU, we'll jump right back into the top 10 heading into the game against Minny.

This Illini team tonight didn't hit the shots they usually do, Paul didn't score 40+, we got out rebounded by 18, yet we were in it until the end against the #12 ranked team in the nation. If that doesn't show you that this Illinois team is the real deal, I don't know what will.
lstewart53x3 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:03 PM   #140
Illini First
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinoiss View Post
What happened to the zone?
That was what I was wondering. A zone would have helped clog the middle, say 2-3 or even 2-1-2. We were vunerable in the middle all game. As one example, towards the end when no. 1 drove the baseline and passed to the middle, Nnanna was outside guarding his guy. Gotta keep the middle clogged and the ratio of rebounds, fouls, easy buckets changes.

Our opponents are defending us on the 3, so shooting % down. I am wondering if Paul was hurt since he did not penetrate the last few minutes of the game, drawing fouls, or passing it out.

Go Illini.
Illini First is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:03 PM   #141
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjIllini View Post
He didn't guard anyone! The whole team deserves blame but TG is at the top when it comes to awful defense.
He also hit big shots! If you want to place this blame squarely on Griffey, be my gues but you blame is misguided.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:04 PM   #142
Archie
Banned
Too much emphasis on the rankings.

I don't see the writers snubbing Illinois, and I anticipate Illinois dropping no further than 15.
Archie is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:04 PM   #143
IlliniSpine
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAWin View Post
Anyone know what's up with Henry? He barely got an PT. I know he came in and fumbled/TO. Never saw him again. I recall Groce saying a couple weeks ago he was one of the best rebounders on the team, could have used that tonight. He's also a good shooter. Is he in the Groce doghouse?
MH flat out didn't look good in his short time in there. I guess Groce was hoping TG would turn it around.

I agree though that he should have gotten more time. We NEEDED his rebounding if nothing else.
IlliniSpine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:05 PM   #144
alexander58
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyChitwood View Post
I was kind of hoping Paul didnt come back in..We were playing better with him on the bench..He was forcing way to much and he didnt have it tonight. Oh well, it's one game and time to move on to the next one. Sucks, but their bigs ate us up tonight..Props to Egwu for playing pretty well for the most part. He has quietly put together a couple of really good games. We just need to start hitting more shots and passing the ball around a bit more to find better shots then the ones we were taking tonight. Only teams that we will play again that will be as aggressive down low as Mizzou in the B1G will be Mich St and Minnesota so we have that going for us lol.
Without Paul the game wouldnt have been close. He is a closer. He gets to the basket and draws fouls. He is the only player for Illinois can do that consistently.
alexander58 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:06 PM   #145
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac85 View Post
Our bigs are weak! Nanna had a great first 5 minutes and Sam had some solid minutes, but we need more boards out of them! TG, can hit open looks, but doesnt provide anything else! MH brings more to the table and shoul get more minutes IMO!

BP3, Played 2 different halfs. The first half he was a leader and got to the ft line. The second half it seemed like he played passively even though he had a big height advantage over Pressey!
Our bigs aren't "weak" they just play a different game than Missouri's bigs. We have more of the european, face-up big men. We struggled to fight Missouri down low all game but still had a great chance to win.

And I'll trust Groce's judgement on who provides more between TG and Henry over yourself...no offense.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:07 PM   #146
freebird6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedsorangenblue View Post
. There are things we have to do better and that starts with me.
maybe that is the answer to the questions regarding going away from the zone
freebird6 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:07 PM   #147
IlliniSpine
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyChitwood View Post
You're nuts! BP just stopped driving and getting to the line. We absolutely needed him...just needed him to stop passing the ball away and take it strong.

He just looked so winded or hurt that he gave it up.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:10 PM   #148
IlliniSpine
Banned
In fact, I'm nervous about next yr w/o BP...JB can get to the hoop on occassion but not as consistently as BP.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:10 PM   #149
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini70math View Post
9 Observations from the Missouri Game:

5. It wasn't enough to shift the game, but Tyler Griffey was a positive contributor on offense. I found it somewhat disappointing that we didn't run enough plays to get him more open threes earlier because he was obviously much more in the zone than our other outside shooters.

6. It wasn't enough, but Joe B also tried to do his Superman impersonation for the second Bragging Rights game in a row. He and Tyler were the two big contributors in the Illini second half run that took us from down 6 at the half to up 3 with 6:57 to go. From that point on, Mizzou outplayed us.
Depends on who you talk to I guess

I completely agree with you by the way.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:12 PM   #150
Illini First
Banned
As mentioned earlier, I think we should have attempted a zone defense, even if for a few minutes to clog the middle, change the
parameters.
Illini First is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »