Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:53 AM   #4151
RHITIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksTaylorFan View Post
That was at Macarthur High School

My mom taught in Decatur and knew all the kids involved. All of those kids were far from the angels that Jesse Jackson tried to sell us on and had more legal problems after that incident.
Definitely Eisenhower.. it was the football game BETWEEN Eisenhower and Macarthur
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:58 AM   #4152
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Four star recruit that isn't ranked? He does have offers from IU, Marland, Villanova, etc. Does anyone know his story? Maybe he's about to explode on the scene? Getting us more exposure on the east coast?

I'm glad Groce continues to recruit the 2014 class. You just never know what is going to happen so it's nice to have other options in place.
I am all for recruiting the 2014 class but I don't get recruiting 4's if you are sold on Colbert and Finke.

Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:59 AM   #4153
IlliniFan1987
Coaches

Its clearly evident that Irvin and Smith are too immature to handle their players and coach at the next level. To be honest I watched the video and I am a high school coach myself. The way Smith and Irvin were acting, If i were to do the same would find my self out of a coaching job. I think these coaches within the public leauge have to big of EGO's and need to be held more accountable for the actions of their players. I have seen Smith in the past act on the immaturity of his players and has held them accountable. But more then anything I always see him stirring the pot when it comes to playing Morgan Park, or any other rivals within the public leauge. It's bad enough with the violence taking place within the city.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:10 AM   #4154
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHITIllini View Post
Definitely Eisenhower.. it was the football game BETWEEN Eisenhower and Macarthur
My bad then. It was definitely a game between Eisenhower and Macarthur. I would have sworn it happened at Macarthur, but it's been a long time. Magoo probably has a better memory than me. Like most things involving Jackson, that fight had nothing to do with race.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:12 AM   #4155
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
I am all for recruiting the 2014 class but I don't get recruiting 4's if you are sold on Colbert and Finke.
6'8 and 220. Maybe they think he can play the 5 or might not be done growing? I get what your saying though. I'm sure it has something to do with something other than Colbert and Finke.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:20 AM   #4156
TheSecretWeapon
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcastan View Post

JP missed the 2 foul shots but KN hit a jumper with like 12-15 secs to go to put Simeon up by 4.
trying to beat the shot clock?

Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:22 AM   #4157
Smacko
Quote:
6'8 and 220. Maybe they think he can play the 5 or might not be done growing? I get what your saying though. I'm sure it has something to do with something other than Colbert and Finke.
Important to keep in mind that there aren't a ton of high major bigs instate in the '15 class so far. They may be considering stocking up in '14 with 2. As we have seen, it is HARD to win in the B1G without a strong frontcourt.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:46 AM   #4158
PaytonHighstep
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFan1987 View Post
Its clearly evident that Irvin and Smith are too immature to handle their players and coach at the next level. To be honest I watched the video and I am a high school coach myself. The way Smith and Irvin were acting, If i were to do the same would find my self out of a coaching job. I think these coaches within the public leauge have to big of EGO's and need to be held more accountable for the actions of their players. I have seen Smith in the past act on the immaturity of his players and has held them accountable. But more then anything I always see him stirring the pot when it comes to playing Morgan Park, or any other rivals within the public leauge. It's bad enough with the violence taking place within the city.
agreed. the video I watched on the chicago tribune website was pretty telling. there was a lot of emotional players and coaches running around and the 2 head coaches just fed into it, instead of taking the reigns and squashing it, imo.

I wasn't there, but that is what I saw from both sides from that video.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:48 AM   #4159
cjcastan
Gill-Cesar 2015 at Huntington Prep. Watching the huntington prep replay.

They mention offer from ILL.

Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:00 AM   #4160
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Robert Smith: "The tape tells everything. It's not what (Nick Irvin) said."

"The tape tells everything," Smith said. "It's not what (Irvin) said. I'm not allowed to tell what happened on the tape, that is up to CPS. I didn’t want to pass judgement on their players or my players without seeing it.

"I thought it was a great game. Two of the best two teams in the state of Illinois battling it out against each other. I think Billy Garrett played really well last night for them.

"Unfortunately at the end tempers got flaring. We don't condone that here at Simeon. I'm pretty sure they don't condone that at Morgan Park."

Michael O'Brien
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:12 AM   #4161
PaytonHighstep
Yes Mr. Smith, I saw you and Coach Irvin very emotional in the tape from the Chicago Tribune and seemed to feed into the escalating situation.

I would say both coaches need to be leaders and squash this emotional feeding frenzy instead of feeding into it. That is what leaders do. Lead by example and maintain a calming influence. IMO
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:28 AM   #4162
orange julius
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFan1987 View Post
Exactly. Irvin calling out a couple 17 year old kids on Simeon and claiming "they started it" is the kind of behavior one would expect from a child. Its certainly too much to expect him to take responsibility for his own players who were equal participants in the brawl, let alone actually discipline his players for their thuggish actions. These primma donna coaches are at least partially responsible disgusting, corrupt world of inner city basketball, which spills over into the college game. It certainly doesn't help that they have their asses kissed on a daily basis by college recruiters, street agents, gurus, etc.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:58 AM   #4163
Redbirds33333
Sounds like Maverick is having a really nice Senior season...I understand "star" rankings don't always mean much, but any chance he'll get that 4th star before the final 2013 List is out? I'd guess Tate is probably set as a 3 star (Rivals).
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:15 AM   #4164
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbirds33333 View Post
Sounds like Maverick is having a really nice Senior season...I understand "star" rankings don't always mean much, but any chance he'll get that 4th star before the final 2013 List is out? I'd guess Tate is probably set as a 3 star (Rivals).
Doubtful. He's not even in the Rivals top 150 at this point.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:33 AM   #4165
RHITIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
he could take tony farmer's spot
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:41 AM   #4166
Redbirds33333
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
Makes sense...I definitely think he moves into the top 150 though by year end.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:48 AM   #4167
SIUC
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAndBlue217 View Post
According to this, it was an Eisenhower game and Esienhower students, but it may have been at Macarthur? Scroll down and you will see it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decatur,_Illinois

EHS grad here: It was @ EHS
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:53 AM   #4168
Juice4
Juice4
The EHS/MHS game was played at Pickett Field where EHS played their home games at the time.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:57 AM   #4169
justsomedude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbirds33333 View Post
Makes sense...I definitely think he moves into the top 150 though by year end.
He moved out recently, iirc.

Not much happens during the season.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:06 PM   #4170
Hugh Jorgen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combo View Post
Seems like a male trait to exaggerate size
Yep, on height, weight, fish, and a few other things.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:13 PM   #4171
Hugh Jorgen
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
Look at the screen name of the poster you were replying to.
Funny story about that...my teammates on our Gus Macker and NFL Air it Out Flag football teams began calling me that after I got de-pantsed by a defender while heading for the end zone on a fly route.

It soon become our team name as well.
If I recall correctly we won "Best Team Name" for Gus Macker in both 1993 with "Phi Scratcha Scrotum" and again in '95 with "Hugh Jorgen Basketball". We won again in the NFL Air it Out circuit with the team name "Adolf Oliver _______ Football". We always made alot of friends at these tournaments, primarily due to bringing some extra t-shirts to hand out. :laugh:
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:18 PM   #4172
Hugh Jorgen
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanK View Post
Could be the beginning to the end of Simeon players playing with Mac Irvin Fire.
What an OUTSTANDING turn of events that would be for everyone involved...the kids would benefit, we would benefit, Irvin gets forgotten, and everyone wins.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:22 PM   #4173
rbachhuber
aka Flash Gordon, earthling
Location: Planet Earth, when not battling Ming the Merciless on Mongo (or sometimes Mars)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeupneo1 View Post
How old and how far removed are you from modern social networking for those of you who think it's "creepy"?

Do you remember being in H.S. ? Remember the popularity contest, reputation, attention-seeking?

Man if I was an athlete in H.S. at the age of 16 and fans were writing me, posting on my board, etc. I would be on top of the world.

How many times have we heard recruits say that certain fans bases showed them a lot of love and that was a big reason why they went there.
I give up. How many times?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:33 PM   #4174
Illiniwek_2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
Per her profile, she is a 2 time Illini alum, played women's BB @ U of I and is a lawyer. You noticed the guy she's w/in her profile pic right?
Jim Furyk?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:03 PM   #4175
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illiniwek_2 View Post
Jim Furyk?
Close, but no. None other than John Groce.!!
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »