Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:11 PM   #4401
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeoriaChief View Post
Ok so the above link says double digit rebounds for Mav. I was concerned when I seen only 4 Rebs posted by another someone.bWe don't just need size, we need rebounding. His scoring so far has been extremely impressive (rebounding too) but we need rebounding from Mav even more than scoring.
I checked for a thrid time and Irish Illustrated is wrong. Morgan had 4 Total rebounds--2 Off & 2 Def on the official box score on Flying to Hoops website. He is averaging 9.5 rebounds for the season and this summer in AAU ball averaged 10.4 per game.
But once again I caution people to look for around 10MPG next year.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:35 PM   #4402
Foo G
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
I checked for a thrid time and Irish Illustrated is wrong. Morgan had 4 Total rebounds--2 Off & 2 Def on the official box score on Flying to Hoops website. He is averaging 9.5 rebounds for the season and this summer in AAU ball averaged 10.4 per game.
Ordinarily, I would say 10mpg would be a reasonable expectation.
But, with the lack of size on next year's team, I think it could be higher.
I guess it depends on whether he is a better option than Ibby or if we can find a 5th year senior to come in (given an open spot) and compete for minutes.
Otherwise, you'd need Egwu to be able to play close to 30mpg.
Hopefully his defense and footwork improves to that point over the summer.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:35 PM   #4403
illiniobserver22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeThomas4Prez View Post
Nunn with another two big dunks. He's having a very solid game. Apparently he was dealing with health issues, which may be the cause for some not so stellar games earlier this year.

Edit: Nunn finished with 21 pts, 8 reb, 4 ast

Tate 10 pts, 8 ast
To elaborate on those stat lines...

Nunn: 21 points on 7-14 shooting, 2-5 from 3, 5-7 FTs. 8 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals, 3 TOs.

Tate: 10 points on 1-3 shooting, 1-3 from 3, 7-8 FTs. 2 rebounds, 8 assists, 3 steals, 3 TOs.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:45 PM   #4404
illynifan34
That's a winner!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniobserver22 View Post
To elaborate on those stat lines...

Nunn: 21 points on 7-14 shooting, 2-5 from 3, 5-7 FTs. 8 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals, 3 TOs.

Tate: 10 points on 1-3 shooting, 1-3 from 3, 7-8 FTs. 2 rebounds, 8 assists, 3 steals, 3 TOs.

In Mike I Trust

Aggressive

Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:49 PM   #4405
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange julius View Post
Really excited about this upcoming class. Adding much needed tenacity, toughness, and skill. The one recruit I have questioned is Tate... as he did not have a very good offer list, and was added after we missed our top target in Jackson. But reports seem to indicate that he will be at worst, a very servicable backup point guard. It also appears that Mav. Morgan has improved greatly this season, and could be a huge steal, as I presume Ohio State could have had him if they had offered.
OSU was his dream school as Dayton has pointed out, but Groce got him back in July of last year before he blew up.
Interestingly in the absence of big men now available at this late of a signing date, OSU might end up with Schilling or are at least looking at him.
Not much left in the big man category.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:55 PM   #4406
IlliniRunIn07
Quote:
OSU was his dream school as Dayton has pointed out, but Groce got him back in July of last year before he blew up.
Interestingly in the absence of big men now available at this late of a signing date, OSU might end up with Schilling or are at least looking at him.
Not much left in the big man category.
I thought Schilling was a heavy MSU lean. Obviously these things can change until a guy signs on the dotted line, but do you know if MSU is a likely place for him to end up?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:13 PM   #4407
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniRunIn07 View Post
I thought Schilling was a heavy MSU lean. Obviously these things can change until a guy signs on the dotted line, but do you know if MSU is a likely place for him to end up?
IMHO, Schilling may not have been academically approved by NCAA clearing house. He has been to 4 HS's in 4 years, w/ one of them a diploma mill. He has not taken any official visits that I know of and you can't if you haven't been cleared.
Regarding MSU, think of how far they fell when the offer they made for Parker actually ends up being Schilling. That would be crazy.
As previously stated, big men this late are almost impossible to find, thus supposedly all the interest from MSU, OSU, Duke, UCLA.
We'll see, but IMO we'll be very happy w/Morgan and glad Schilling went elsewhere even if it's to a "blue blood."
Supposedly Izzo was in Dayton but so was Matta.
Think Ibby when you think of late big man signing....

Last edited by TCTORNADO; Jan 21, 2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:05 PM   #4408
PLauderdale30
Quote:
He has not taken any official visits that I know of and you can't if you haven't been cleared.
Don't have to be fully certified, just registered with the Eligibility Center to take an official visit.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:45 PM   #4409
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLauderdale30 View Post
Don't have to be fully certified, just registered with the Eligibility Center to take an official visit.
Your previous posts indicate an excellent knowledge of the rules, almost to the point that you are connected to compliance somehow.
I defer to you, sir.
In your opinion does Schilling have a convulated path to qualifying??
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:46 PM   #4410
Kramer116
Quote:
Your previous posts indicate an excellent knowledge of the rules, almost to the point that you are connected to compliance somehow.
I defer to you, sir.
In your opinion does Schilling have a convulated path to qualifying??
I have never heard of any academic concerns for Schilling, but who knows with credits/classes transferring over from one HS to another?

He has already taken an official visit to Minnesota in September fwiw.

He attended Loyola Academy in Wilmette as a FR iirc. For a point of reference, was told that Jereme Richmond did not make it in there as an incoming FR. No way of verifying, but what I was told.

"I do want to address something. I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in it's place. I'm going to tell you what place it's in. It's in a great place. That's what place it's in.... So if anyone wants to know what place Illinois college hoops is in right now, it's in a great place. Not a good place. A great place" - JFG
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:07 PM   #4411
Dan
Admin
Welcome to Page 177 of the Hoops Recruiting Thread!

If at all possible, I'd like to keep the recruiting thread to recruiting, and free of complaints about the 2012-13 Illini squad. Plenty of places to voice concerns about the current team- a Postgame thread, a Pregame thread, a News & Notes thread, etc.

This thread, let's try to steer clear of the current team's performance & issues, & simply discuss the performance of the commits and potential prospects.

Thanks!
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:21 PM   #4412
cash35
Anybody hear joel berry committed to unc?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:25 PM   #4413
Kramer116
Just finished watching the Simeon game I had recorded, some thoughts:

* LOL at all of you who were ripping Jabari Parker and did not think he was a top player etc. He was simply dominant today and is finally getting back into shape. He is a big time player and going to be really good for Duke.

* Kendall Pollard is a really solid player, great get for Dayton. He is so tough, hard nosed and aggressive. Very strong player, I like what he does out there.

* You can see the skillset of D.J. Williams. Such a smooth jumper, he is going to be a good one and he has great size for a wing.

* R.J. Currington, who we were recruiting a bit under the old staff, is a very good shooter too and I think he will end up at a high major eventually. He is from Indiana originally iirc.

Now on to our commits:

* Jaylon Tate was very impressive out there. He does a great job finding his teammates, has plus vision imo. He is also extremely quick out there both in driving past his man with a quick first step and on the defensive end pressuring his guy and cutting him off when he gets beat initially or off the screen and roll. He still needs to keep working on his shot, and may never be a really good shooter, but I really like what he brings as a PG. He just needs to be careful about the careless passes that he can get away with in HS sometimes. Needs to get stronger too obviously.

* Was very impressed with Kendrick Nunn as well. He is so explosive, has a quick first step and great quickness laterally, very fast one end to the other. He has such a soft jump shot, but he is off balance a lot it seems. I still don't get how he is so streaky with that soft touch. I am excited to see him with a summer working with the staff. I love how aggressive he is getting to the basket and how he really finishes when he gets there. Goes straight at the rim and hard, no fading or avoiding contact for him.

I can't wait to finally have a few guards with great quickness and speed...

"I do want to address something. I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in it's place. I'm going to tell you what place it's in. It's in a great place. That's what place it's in.... So if anyone wants to know what place Illinois college hoops is in right now, it's in a great place. Not a good place. A great place" - JFG
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:26 PM   #4414
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by cash35 View Post
Evan Daniels of Fox confirms Berry to UNC...
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:33 PM   #4415
Kramer116
Quote:
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/re...els-coach-says

Quote:
North Carolina received a commitment from one of the top juniors in the country on Monday. Point guard Joel Berry pledged to the Tar Heels following his official visit to UNC this weekend, according to his travel team coach, Burney Hayes.

Berry is ranked the No. 3 point guard and No. 12 overall recruit in the Class of 2014 by ESPN.

The Lake Highland Prep (Fla.) standout took advantage of a new rule that allows juniors to make official visits following Jan. 1 of their junior year. UNC was his first official visit.

Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:08 PM   #4416
IlliniRunIn07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post
* Jaylon Tate was very impressive out there. He does a great job finding his teammates, has plus vision imo. He is also extremely quick out there both in driving past his man with a quick first step and on the defensive end pressuring his guy and cutting him off when he gets beat initially or off the screen and roll. He still needs to keep working on his shot, and may never be a really good shooter, but I really like what he brings as a PG. He just needs to be careful about the careless passes that he can get away with in HS sometimes. Needs to get stronger too obviously.

* Was very impressed with Kendrick Nunn as well. He is so explosive, has a quick first step and great quickness laterally, very fast one end to the other. He has such a soft jump shot, but he is off balance a lot it seems. I still don't get how he is so streaky with that soft touch. I am excited to see him with a summer working with the staff. I love how aggressive he is getting to the basket and how he really finishes when he gets there. Goes straight at the rim and hard, no fading or avoiding contact for him.

Thanks as always for the analysis Kramer. I didn't get to see the game today, and I'm bummed that I missed it. The other 2-3 times I've seen Simeon play this year, I've been unimpressed for the most part. I agree Nunn's shooting form looks great, but he always seems to have off nights when I'm able to watch. It could be jitters since they don't get to play on national tv all that often.

What do you think our expectations should be for these guys next year when it comes to minutes? I have to think that Tate gets 10 minutes a game just out of pure necessity. Will he be able to handle that? Nunn is a bit of a wild card too. We've been told not to expect a lot out of him as a frosh, but the athleticism is easily seen. Who is in line to play the 2 next year? DJ will be gone. RR is a 3. I have to think JB starts at the 2 which isn't ideal, but it looks like our best options after him are MH and Nunn, in that order. Unless I'm forgetting someone?

Next year might be rough now that I think about it. I think Nnanna will be a solid 5 by then. I think RR will be ok at the 3. And Tracy will be good at the 1. Does JB split minutes with RR at the 3 or is he going to be primarily a 2? Basically, MM should be penciled in as a back up right now, whether he's ready or not. And as bad as we are at the 4 this year, we should be just as bad next year unless MS or MyH takes a quantum leap forward. It seems we will have a glaring hole at the 2 which should open up about 20 minutes a game for MH and KN (unless the plan is to have MH as a 3). I think Tate gets about 10 mins a game as well, again just out of necessity.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:14 PM   #4417
Calilama
Banned
Quote:

* LOL at all of you who were ripping Jabari Parker and did not think he was a top player etc. He was simply dominant today and is finally getting back into shape. He is a big time player and going to be really good for Duke.

* Kendall Pollard is a really solid player, great get for Dayton. He is so tough, hard nosed and aggressive. Very strong player, I like what he does out there.

* You can see the skillset of D.J. Williams. Such a smooth jumper, he is going to be a good one and he has great size for a wing.

* R.J. Currington, who we were recruiting a bit under the old staff, is a very good shooter too and I think he will end up at a high major eventually. He is from Indiana originally iirc.

Now on to our commits:

Nice job Kramer...I watched the game and agree...like Tate more than I thought...he has great handles and vision...he will turn out to be a better shooter than folks think!
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:14 PM   #4418
WizardBill
Illini optimist
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniRunIn07 View Post
What are the rules about changing schools AFTER you have signed your LOI? Because, players transfer in and out of programs all the time.

Please return Dead and Alive to Edwin Schrodinger
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:37 PM   #4419
TwitterPolice
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardBill View Post
What are the rules about changing schools AFTER you have signed your LOI? Because, players transfer in and out of programs all the time.
When you and a school sign an NLI, you agree to spend an entire academic year (not a whole season) at the school, and it agrees to provide you an athletic financial aid package for that year.

If you don't honor the NLI and go to another NLI member institution, then the usual transfer rules apply (you have to spend an entire academic year at the new institution before becoming eligible again), except that (1) you lose a year of eligibility, and (2) certain exceptions that may otherwise have allowed you to play right away at the new institution may not apply.

Once you finish your first year, you are no longer a prospective student-athlete, the NLI is no longer binding, and you are instead bound by the NCAA's usual transfer rules.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:53 AM   #4420
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardBill View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwitterPolice View Post
When you and a school sign an NLI, you agree to spend an entire academic year (not a whole season) at the school, and it agrees to provide you an athletic financial aid package for that year.

If you don't honor the NLI and go to another NLI member institution, then the usual transfer rules apply (you have to spend an entire academic year at the new institution before becoming eligible again), except that (1) you lose a year of eligibility, and (2) certain exceptions that may otherwise have allowed you to play right away at the new institution may not apply.

Once you finish your first year, you are no longer a prospective student-athlete, the NLI is no longer binding, and you are instead bound by the NCAA's usual transfer rules.
The only way you can really get out of your NLI is if there is a coaching change or a major sickness in the family etc. For example, Ben Brust signed a LOI with Iowa. When they changed coaches, the AD released him from his NLI and allowed him to sign with Wisconsin instead.

Most top prospects, especially those who sign somewhere in the Spring, now sign Financial Aid agreements instead of NLI when they commit somewhere. This way, say a top prospect commits to Kentucky, they can still re-open without penalty if Cal leaves or faces sanctions etc.

Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:57 AM   #4421
cash35
What are the chances with dj williams? Ive been very impressed with what ive seen.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:01 AM   #4422
Kramer116
Quote:
What are the chances with dj williams? Ive been very impressed with what ive seen.
Well, he is probably not deciding for at the very least another calendar year.

But he really likes Illinois. Groce has made him a priority for 2015. He already has a scholarship offer. And his parents made a visit down to Champaign by themselves to check things out for a game without DJ.

We have been in on him since the beginning. Hopefully the 2015 class is the one we develop the relationships early with all these top prospects and start to win some of them.

Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:48 AM   #4423
justsomedude
Quote:
It's weird, I've seen in several different rivals articles the double double comment. I'm not sure if I'd take the Flying to Hoops website as gospel either, but who knows.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:36 AM   #4424
dtownillini
Banned
Not to be negative but I don't see Nunn helping much next year. Hes got D.J.s handles with Pauls decision making. I think Tate will be more of a factor as a freshman.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:37 AM   #4425
DG1985
Banned
Quote:

seems like you answer your own question. soft touch but off balance. I think some kids too often don't realize how much their shot relies upon their feet being positioned correctly.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »