Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:47 AM   #5226
scubadunk
So we have no real proof that Lyle is going to announce which school he is going to anytime soon. Just an article that hasnt been picked up by anyone else. Lets not get the board boiling again til we know for sure he is announcing. This has all the makings of a "I thought Lyle was going to commit last winter" type thing that we all remember when he does announce. I hope Im wrong though but Im not gonna get too excited until we have further evidence of a pending announcement.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:47 AM   #5227
OrangeandBlue89
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by schlagboy View Post
If he were to commit that would be perfectly understandable :laugh:

Oh great, now Lyle is going to come on this board and see that we are talking about fat girls and cocaine. :laugh:
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:48 AM   #5228
RyanK
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadunk View Post
So we have no real proof that Lyle is going to announce which school he is going to anytime soon. Just an article that hasnt been picked up by anyone else. Lets not get the board boiling again til we know for sure he is announcing. This has all the makings of a "I thought Lyle was going to commit last winter" type thing that we all remember when he does announce. I hope Im wrong though but Im not gonna get too excited until we have further evidence of a pending announcement.
It's called speculation. That's what makes a message board fun. Facts mean nothing here.

Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:50 AM   #5229
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanK View Post
It's called speculation. That's what makes a message board fun. Facts mean nothing here.

In that case, I'm an insider !!

all in the spirit of fun . . .
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:58 AM   #5230
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelYourPaign View Post
In that case, I'm an insider !!

all in the spirit of fun . . .
Do you sit close to the Coach!! Oh wait you're in Barrington...
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:02 AM   #5231
schlagboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeandBlue89 View Post
Oh great, now Lyle is going to come on this board and see that we are talking about fat girls and cocaine. :laugh:
If that doesn't persuade a highly touted recruit to sign the dotted line....what will? :laugh:
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:12 AM   #5232
Foo G
Can bring the ball up
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofIChE06 View Post
That actually isn't exactly true. Lyle has talked about UI in the past, even during the Weber years. He was once asked about crossing state lines because as we all know Indiana kids don't go to UI. Don't remember the exact wording but he more or less said he could care less about it. Almost seemed to like the idea of ticking a lot of Indiana people off. Also, he has recently talked a lot more about UI with the Alexander connection. That begs a question is UL a player in the Alexander recruitment? I don't think I have seen anything about them with him.
I remember seeing something about Indiana not recruiting Alexander any more or maybe the other way around.
Not sure if there was anything to that or not.
IU fans still continue to blow him up on twitter.

"I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in its place. I'm gonna tell you what place it's in; it's in a great place. That's what place it's in." - Chief John Groce
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:14 AM   #5233
Symmooth
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
Recruits look at three things only! Winning, winning, and winning. Right now we're not to good at any of those 3 and our competition of IU, Ville, and OSU have it. Lyle will end up in the same mode as Ennis. Jackson & XRM. Not even factoring in the other 4 or 5.
Oh well, we tried.
Actually, I think the top level recruits care most about getting into the NBA as quick as possible. They look at the players that will be there when they play, not who is here now, and they want plenty of PT.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:29 AM   #5234
mattcoldagelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksTaylorFan View Post
I'm all for working the gray areas of recruiting, but recruiting a kid who has already committed to another school is a bit to far for me. Didn't we crucify Samscum for doing that to us?
Not really. We crucified Sampson for hiring family friends. He would've been derelict in his duties as IU coach to not recruit IDKWTI when he got the job.

@mattcoldagelli

Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:38 AM   #5235
IlliNYC
So are we at 33% probability on him choosing us?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:57 AM   #5236
Botb9
Realist
Quote:
Great name for a band!

Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:06 PM   #5237
theanonymousillini
Pump the breaks people....

Quote:
https://twitter.com/JMamba5/status/297057666872778753

RIP Benji W.
‏@JMamba5
“@IL_Basketballl: @JMamba5 is it true you're making a decision in the next 2 weeks?” NOOO!!! Who said that?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:10 PM   #5238
PeoriaChief
Back to work people...nothing to see here...
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:11 PM   #5239
Illinoiss
Banned
JL is NOT announcing his decision in the next 2 weeks. I just asked him on twitter, go look and follow me btw :-)
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:15 PM   #5240
OrchardDowns
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcoldagelli View Post
Not really. We crucified Sampson for hiring family friends. He would've been derelict in his duties as IU coach to not recruit IDKWTI when he got the job.
Yes, WE DID crucify Sampson for going after Gordon when he had been committed to us for a year!!!!! Where are you getting your facts???? So you think it's okay to get kids to decommitt???? Or is that just "Playing the game" to you?

Not good in my book.....
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:17 PM   #5241
Holdemall
Quote:
What do you think they do for fun in Louisville?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:20 PM   #5242
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcoldagelli View Post
I had no issue with hiring family friends because it wasn't breaking any NCAA rules at the time. Coaches have always stopped recruiting kids once they committed to another school. Even though it also doesn't break any NCAA rules, it's wrong and has always been something ethical coaches don't do.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:20 PM   #5243
Illiniwek06
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrchardDowns View Post
Yes, WE DID crucify Sampson for going after Gordon when he had been committed to us for a year!!!!! Where are you getting your facts???? So you think it's okay to get kids to decommitt???? Or is that just "Playing the game" to you?

Not good in my book.....
I don't have a problem with Sampson reaching out to IDKWTI after he got hired (don't get me wrong, this situation bugged me because UI was getting screwed, but I don't have an issue with this, generally). But the way in which that recruitment played out is what I have a problem with.

So, if there was a kid who was committed to another school, and he was a McD AA and expressed interest in IL after Weber was fired, I would be extremely upset if Groce did not reach out to him.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:24 PM   #5244
MuckFichigan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadunk View Post
Has this story been validated by anyone that Lyle is thinking about announcing soon. It just seems like a stretch that he would commit so early.
5 points for gryffindor.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:25 PM   #5245
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illiniwek06 View Post
I don't have a problem with Sampson reaching out to IDKWTI after he got hired (don't get me wrong, this situation bugged me because UI was getting screwed, but I don't have an issue with this, generally). But the way in which that recruitment played out is what I have a problem with.

So, if there was a kid who was committed to another school, and he was a McD AA and expressed interest in IL after Weber was fired, I would be extremely upset if Groce did not reach out to him.
Then where do you stop? With the transfer rates continuing to go up, do you want new coaches recruiting bench players at other schools to transfer to his school for more PT? I think once a player has give a school any type of oral commitment, recruiting should stop. Allowing this to continue will only make things worse.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:31 PM   #5246
IL2000
Banned
Quote:
@JMamba5: I see no commitment anytime soon, just taking my time enjoying the process still.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:32 PM   #5247
SIUC
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
Recruits look at three things only! Winning, winning, and winning. Right now we're not to good at any of those 3 and our competition of IU, Ville, and OSU have it. Lyle will end up in the same mode as Ennis. Jackson & XRM. Not even factoring in the other 4 or 5.
Oh well, we tried.

That is the truest statement that can be made.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:32 PM   #5248
Illiniwek06
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksTaylorFan View Post
Then where do you stop? With the transfer rates continuing to go up, do you want new coaches recruiting bench players at other schools to transfer to his school for more PT? I think once a player has give a school any type of oral commitment, recruiting should stop. Allowing this to continue will only make things worse.
Yeah, I hear you. I agree that the line is arbitrary. The reason that the specific situation involving Sampson/IDKWTI didn't bother me as much as other IL fans is due to the coaching change. If it was Davis that was still there, and he continued to recruit IDKWTI, I would have a much bigger issue with that. Just my 2 cents.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:43 PM   #5249
OrangeandBlue89
Banned
Okay who said he was announcing originally? That guy deserves a swift kick in the mouth and to be tied up and forced to watch a compilation of Shaun Pruitt free throw attempts at Illinois.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:43 PM   #5250
mattcoldagelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrchardDowns View Post

Not good in my book.....
In those circumstances, it's not even "playing the game." It's a new coach being diligent. It sucked because we were the ones being screwed, but if there was an Illinois kid who was interested in us, couldn't talk himself into Weber, and verballed to Michigan...are you saying if Groce got hired and then went back and made extra sure he was comfortable with his choice, you'd have a problem? Because I wouldn't. And I don't really think anybody else here would, either.

@mattcoldagelli

Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »