Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Pregame: Illinois vs Indiana, Thursday, February 7th, 6:00pm CT, ESPN

Closed Thread

Old Feb 6, 2013, 08:36 PM   #126
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by troydove View Post
When did we last lose 5 in a row at home?????
* rubs eyes *

Best I can tell, it was coach Harv Schmidt's final season, 1973-74, a 5-game home losing streak- the only 5-game home losing streak in Illini basketball history.

Although the record book says 4-game home losing steaks (multiple times) is the record.

I don't know. Either way, beat Indiana.

Last edited by Dan; Feb 6, 2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 09:01 PM   #127
BoolahBoolah
Banned
Excellent! Another dubious distinction for this senior class, on top of never beating Mizzou or Purdue.

Top notch, top notch.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 09:43 PM   #128
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoolahBoolah View Post
Excellent! Another dubious distinction for this senior class, on top of never beating Mizzou or Purdue.

Top notch, top notch.
Sick, just sick.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 09:53 PM   #129
PointGuardU01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
* rubs eyes *

Best I can tell, it was coach Harv Schmidt's final season, 1973-74, a 5-game home losing streak- the only 5-game home losing streak in Illini basketball history.

Although the record book says 4-game home losing steaks (multiple times) is the record.

And we think this year's team is poor on defense...not good, Harv, not good.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:11 PM   #130
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
* rubs eyes *

I started at Illinois in Fall of '74.
Got my official program for the first home game of the season and for some reason (still no idea why) they put the Illinois results and final position in the Big Ten on the back cover of the program. For 50 years, there was only 1 year when Illinois finished 10th. You guessed it, Harv's final year, 73-74. So, I sat there, a new freshman, thinking "it is going to be 50 years before this piece of ##*$*@ season is erased from the back cover".

Yes, I would easily believe that was the last time we played this badly at home.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:33 PM   #131
CardiacIllini3
Option 1: Illini 77
Creans 74

Option 2: Illini 63
Creans 78
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:32 PM   #132
troydove
Banned
If we lose to IU, coming up next is Purdue at home. Don't they have 8 in a row over us? That would set all time record with another lose to Purdue!

Wow, 6 in a row at home, never been done before! SAY it's not SO

Someone put a spell on those Indiana teams, double vision will work
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:34 AM   #133
radiodj
Quote:
When did we last lose 5 in a row at home?????
My mistake. I should have clarified that a loss later tonight would be 5 straight losses at home.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:59 AM   #134
troydove
Banned
And a lose to Purdue would be 6 straight at home and 9 straight to Purdue 4 years since we beat them ? or 5
Old Feb 7, 2013, 01:04 AM   #135
radiodj
Quote:
And a lose to Purdue would be 6 straight at home and 9 straight to Purdue 4 years since we beat them ? or 5
4 years and a few months. December 30th 2008. It was a 71-67 win in OT at Mackdy I believe.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 01:29 AM   #136
BoolahBoolah
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiodj View Post
4 years and a few months. December 30th 2008. It was a 71-67 win in OT at Mackdy I believe.
Ironically, it was 1 of 2 games where Alex Legion had a discernible positive effect on the game. I was shocked we won that game.

I'm not sure I can handle the thought of that crapass Purdue team walking into Assembly Hall and winning. That team is honestly terrible. Note - Zoggle, I know we define terrible differently, so you don't need to write 3 paragraphs here on how they're not terrible. That is not a good basketball team.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 01:47 AM   #137
Bailey
I want so badly to be optimistic. Then I think about Victor Oladipo gaurding Brandon Paul. LOL.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 05:36 AM   #138
lad919
Banned
Victor will have 5 steals on BP before Brandon's had a chance to wipe the sleep out of his eyes.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 07:12 AM   #139
PointGuardU01
Quote:
Ironically, it was 1 of 2 games where Alex Legion had a discernible positive effect on the game. I was shocked we won that game.

I'm not sure I can handle the thought of that crapass Purdue team walking into Assembly Hall and winning. That team is honestly terrible. Note - Zoggle, I know we define terrible differently, so you don't need to write 3 paragraphs here on how they're not terrible. That is not a good basketball team.
You're right, Purdue isn't very good. Problem is they can point right back at us and say the same thing.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 07:38 AM   #140
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Illinois-Indiana: Defense key in crucial matchup

"They have size, depth, point guard play, drivers, shooters, they defend well and they play exceptionally hard," Groce said Wednesday. "When you look at them, they are as good a team as we've played all season. I think Victor Oladipo is the best individual defender we've seen."

Tupper
Quote:
Childhood memories now in play for John Groce

"When I watched Big Ten basketball when I was younger, I rooted for Indiana," Groce said. "Grandma was a fan. All of us kids followed grandma's lead. There's where it all started."

Supinie
Quote:
Paul understands why he came off bench

"Brandon knows what he has to do. Everyone (says) it's mind games, trying to motivate him. It ain't about mind games; do what we're supposed to do defensively," Groce said. "Guys that do are going to get the first crack; we're not playing mind games. Brandon's 20-something years old. He's been through a lot. Guard."

Groce declined to say whether Joseph Bertrand, who started in place of Paul, would start Thursday when top-ranked Indiana visits (6 p.m., ESPN).

Marcus Jackson
Old Feb 7, 2013, 07:45 AM   #141
Botb9
Realist
Groce doesn't mince words, certainly. I think we can all put it succinctly like that. Guard someone!

Old Feb 7, 2013, 07:55 AM   #142
Future Walk-On
Man Bradley put up 105 on the Illini
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:08 AM   #143
FinalFour88
Quote:

Top notch, top notch.
Not to mention, the '09 class has a 27-36 record in the Big Ten so far. Remember how high our hopes were with DJ, Paul, Bertrand and Griffey coming in? They were going to be way better than McCamey, Tisdale, Davis and Cole. And then they weren't.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:41 AM   #144
CrazedUIFan
UI Fan in QC Land
This game will be summed up by two words...Victor Oladipo

We have no one that can handle him on either end of the court. Ever since I watched him play as a freshman, there was no doubt this kid was going to be very, very good. I really hope I'm wrong tonight.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:59 AM   #145
orange julius
While it benefits recruiting, our style of play is not conducive to an upset tonight. Sad to say, we probably would have a much better chance of an upset if Bruce Weber were the coach.

When you are vastly out-talented at every position, you want to keep possessions to a minimum, and work for a good shot late in the shot clock. Then you need to get lucky and shoot a much better percentage than normal, while Indiana shoots poorly. Unfortunately, we will probably be firing up mostly long distance shots early in the shot clock, and that will result in more possessions over the course of the game. More possessions equals less of a chance that we can out-shoot them, as they are far more talented shooters. Plus, our long distance misses and poor ball handling will give Indiana run out opportunities, which is the last thing we want.

I expect a continuation of the dunk-a-thon held by Minnesota and Michigan on our home Court. Please, let me be wrong, because this is hard to watch.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:06 AM   #146
Psycho 86
King Monkey Nut
Im sportin the blue and orange here at work in Indianapolis !! Give em hell boys !! GO ILLINI !!

Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:27 AM   #147
mattcoldagelli
Quote:
Note - Zoggle, I know we define terrible differently, so you don't need to write 3 paragraphs here on how they're not terrible. That is not a good basketball team.
:laugh:

@mattcoldagelli

Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:30 AM   #148
Big Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalFour88 View Post
Not to mention, the '09 class has a 27-36 record in the Big Ten so far. Remember how high our hopes were with DJ, Paul, Bertrand and Griffey coming in? They were going to be way better than McCamey, Tisdale, Davis and Cole. And then they weren't.

Uh Uh mm gulp
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:30 AM   #149
Dan
Admin
I can't wait to see how we do (or do not) getting back on defense.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:35 AM   #150
Big Jack
Quote:
I can't wait to see how we do (or do not) getting back on defense.
Maybe we can just station someone at the top of their key all game and just play with 4 on offense.. just chuck up 3 pointers all night by the boat load..
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »