Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois 57, Minnesota 53 POSTGAME

Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:56 PM   #226
Chathamillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmillini View Post
I don't know if anyone has brought it up but I think Groce deserve an incredible amount of credit for how he has handled Griffey. While people here were calling for him to be benched, I think it is pretty clear that we need his skills. For Groce to continue playing him (even if it was reduced minutes) and continue encouraging him to keep shooting, all the while, getting him to play better defense, rebound better and play with more intensity. I believe that job alone could save our season. I'm really happy for the kid and happy we have John Groce as our coach.
+!
Chathamillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:59 PM   #227
illinibri92
Quote:
Originally Posted by outd00rminer View Post
Groce is a helluva coach. There is no doubt in my mind now. WOW these next few years are going to be a ride.
I think we found a diamond in the rough with JG. He has managed to get these guys to buy in, after a potential relapse of last years meltdown, to a system. To believe in their ability to play at a high level. Good things ahead for Illini Nation. I'm gonna do my best here in Evansville to get JQ'L to realize how great it will be to be a part of our rise to the top again.
illinibri92 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:00 PM   #228
Illini B-Ball Fan
Oh yeah, great highlights! Good game, Illini, and hoping on selection Sunday we do get to go to the Big Dance. Even if it's as a 16-seed, we'll be the most dangerous team against a number 1-seed in a long time. Go Illini!
Illini B-Ball Fan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:11 PM   #229
KSmooth
The one thing about this team is they are a lot more aggressive offensively. Even when they were losing guys weren't afraid to try to penetrate with the pass or the dribble or put up shots. There was a lot fewer of the totaly wasted possessions where they passed the ball around the perimeter and everyone else just stood around looking helpless that we had so often last year.

That aggressiveness reflects a different mindset. This team is still too prone to swoons but mentally they are tougher than they were last year. If you ask me, I think the Nebraska game really was the key. We all remember what happened there last year. This year they went to Lincoln and took out a poor team, which is what they were supposed to do. After a poor game at Michigan (a top five team, so...okay) they were at least competitive against MSU and Wisconsin. You could see them starting to pull themselves back together, and then it paid off against the Hoosiers and again tonight.

This is still an inconsistent team that relies way too much on the three ball, but at least they aren't afraid to attack and take shots. And that will probably get them a spot in the tourney. Congrats to Groce and to the team.

Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:13 PM   #230
SycIllini
It appears to me that Richardson and Griffey have taken a more vocal leadership role with this team lately. Especially DJ. I see him trying to calm other players when something bad is happening or has happened. He seems more focused on setting the example for the rest of the team on defense. DJ and Griffey both seem to be trying to keep Brandon encouraged and focused when he isn't playing well. Maybe it's always been there and I haven't noticed but, they just seemed to have stepped up more to me.
SycIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:18 PM   #231
AHSIllini32
Banned
Anyone know when the next installment of TNT is supposed to be released?
AHSIllini32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:18 PM   #232
Dan
Admin
Player interviews-

Tracy Abrams

Tyler Griffey

D.J. Richardson

Brandon Paul

Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:19 PM   #233
sapan1030
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinibri92 View Post
I think we found a diamond in the rough with JG. He has managed to get these guys to buy in, after a potential relapse of last years meltdown, to a system. To believe in their ability to play at a high level. Good things ahead for Illini Nation. I'm gonna do my best here in Evansville to get JQ'L to realize how great it will be to be a part of our rise to the top again.
Just hope he doesn't bolt for a blue blood in 3 or 4 years when his stock is sky high
sapan1030 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:19 PM   #234
KansasIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoggle101 View Post
KansasIllini thank you for your sacrifice. It's not easy staying off of here.
Not a problem. And it always helps when the computer is in a separate room from the TV. Plus, like most of us, I've done far crazier superstitious things for the Illini. This just isn't the thread for that.

I've mostly been a lurker here anyway, refraining from posting very much. Even when frustrated, I tend to still be super optimistic, and many times that will set me/my posts up to be ganged up on on here. But all the collective joy going around after this week made it a whole lot easier to start posting more. Maybe now you guys can start getting to know me before ganging up on me

As always, GO ILLINI!!!
KansasIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:21 PM   #235
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapan1030 View Post
Just hope he doesn't bolt for a blue blood in 3 or 4 years when his stock is sky high
If that happens it's going to be because he had an incredible run here and I would take that in a heart beat.

I also don't get that sort of vibe from Groce. Perhaps I could see him leaving for OSU when Matta leaves if Groce is successful enough here to warrant an offer.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:21 PM   #236
blmillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by SycIllini View Post
It appears to me that Richardson and Griffey have taken a more vocal leadership role with this team lately. Especially DJ. I see him trying to calm other players when something bad is happening or has happened. He seems more focused on setting the example for the rest of the team on defense. DJ and Griffey both seem to be trying to keep Brandon encouraged and focused when he isn't playing well. Maybe it's always been there and I haven't noticed but, they just seemed to have stepped up more to me.
It looks to me like they are all coming together. I'm assuming the coaching staff must push that as well. You really don't see them bickering, it seems to be all about picking up the other guy.
blmillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:22 PM   #237
Illini First
Banned
A few thoughts.

1) This win helps verify the Indy win.

2) The defense is improved, has been improving. They held
Minn to low 53. Nice job.

3) Flashes of in out game, wide open shots are easier to make.

4) Rebounding is still weak, but they are fighting for them.

5) They worked very hard this game. While Minn was subbing,
the Illini seem to be in better shape.

All in all a very very nice win.

Go Illini.
Illini First is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:23 PM   #238
Heisenberg
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wokker View Post
Wow. My apologies to the seniors. Back to back awesome performances.

Go illini!
+1. I did not think the seniors were capable of righting the ship after last year.
Heisenberg is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:29 PM   #239
whitesxfan2012
Orange & Blue tweety bird
I know TG had a great game...but, I still say the Illini go as DJ goes. Now 10-1 when DJ makes 3 or more 3pt shots a game. The only loss this year was to Michigan St.
whitesxfan2012 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:33 PM   #240
illinibob
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFan1988 View Post
As Vern Lundquist would say...ONIONS!!!!!
As Harry Caray would say, "Need a TO baby".
illinibob is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:33 PM   #241
blmillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesxfan2012 View Post
I know TG had a great game...but, I still say the Illini go as DJ goes. Now 10-1 when DJ makes 3 or more 3pt shots a game. The only loss this year was to Michigan St.
I don't care how they go as long as they keep doing it.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:33 PM   #242
sapan1030
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
If that happens it's going to be because he had an incredible run here and I would take that in a heart beat.

I also don't get that sort of vibe from Groce. Perhaps I could see him leaving for OSU when Matta leaves if Groce is successful enough here to warrant an offer.
I'd rather have long-term sustained success. Look what happen after Bill Self left. It didn't take long for the program to do a nosedive
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:33 PM   #243
jrichisamazing
Groce has talked about it all year. Keep working hard and getting better every day. We had a rough stretch and lost some games but it looks like the players got something out of it. Our defense was amazing and the offense is starting to click. You know things are going your way when Mclaurin nails a 3 pointer. Big win and fun game to watch.
jrichisamazing is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:36 PM   #244
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapan1030 View Post
I'd rather have long-term sustained success. Look what happen after Bill Self left. It didn't take long for the program to do a nosedive
Well obviously, we would all prefer for Groce to stay here. However, if he leaves for a "blue blood" it's because he's been wildly successful which means we, as fans, would have experienced some fantastic basketball.

I would also then trust Groce to be able to hire a very good coach based on where we would be at that point. RG dropped the ball with Weber and I don't expect Thomas to make that same mistake IF it were to happen.

This is all very premature at this point however.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:37 PM   #245
blmillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrichisamazing View Post
Groce has talked about it all year. Keep working hard and getting better every day. We had a rough stretch and lost some games but it looks like the players got something out of it. Our defense was amazing and the offense is starting to click. You know things are going your way when Mclaurin nails a 3 pointer. Big win and fun game to watch.
I just hope we don't have any more setbacks. We need to win the games that we should. I think if we continue to play with focus and energy we will be fine. However, if we start pulling our foot off the gas pedal, we could stumble again. I won't be comfortable with this group until we get 4 more wins.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:38 PM   #246
blmillini
Quote:
Well obviously, we would all prefer for Groce to stay here. However, if he leaves for a "blue blood" it's because he's been wildly successful which means we, as fans, would have experienced some fantastic basketball.

I would also then trust Groce to be able to hire a very good coach based on where we would be at that point. RG dropped the ball with Weber and I don't expect Thomas to make that same mistake IF it were to happen.

This is all very premature at this point however.
We should be a blue blood!!!
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:39 PM   #247
sapan1030
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmillini View Post
We should be a blue blood!!!
Maybe, but that would mean we have at least a couple championships....as opposed to 0
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:39 PM   #248
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post
Minnesota is a completely different looking team compared to earlier in the season.

We finally catch a break with that this season. They had at least 3 "are you kidding me" shots go in, but to be fair we had Sam's 3 as well.
Agreed. Some will take this wrong but we were very fortunate to win tonight. Their best player out. We shoot 48% from 3 point range including Sam McLaurin making one.

That said, no road win is unappreciated no matter how it comes and a road win in Minneapolis is ALWAYS difficult, even in years they suck. I will certainly take it.

For God's sake though, what was Sam thinking taking that 3 pointer with a one point lead and under 2 minutes remaining. That was nutso.

Quote:
Absolutely huge, huge, HUGE win!!

I hope people will stop saying Groce is getting out-coached and in over his head.

Also, paging Dayton...are you sticking to your 4-6 win total???
AHS, I don't know what to think of this team. For 15 minutes of each of the last two big wins we played like crap and still won both. When we are shooting superbly from 3 point range (48% tonight, 53% Thursday) we can beat absolutely anyone. Unfortunately we don't shoot that high of a percentage very often. I would not be stunned if we won only 2 more games this regular season (6 wins). I could also see us winning 6 more games. Which team shows up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
+1. I did not think the seniors were capable of righting the ship after last year.
+1 I did not think that this group of kids could right the ship. I am very happy that they did. Let's hope they can keep it up!

Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:44 PM   #249
job71188
It's amazing how much better the offense looks and works when they execute the system. We shoot well from three tonight because we had good looks and open shots. We don't get those by kicking it around the perimeter for the full possession.

Tonight, there was a lot of dribble penetration with a kick out pass followed by a open shot or swing pass to an open shot. Also had a lot of open looks by pushing the tempo off of defnesive rebounds or turnovers. That's the way Groce's system is supposed to work but that execution has been missing the last 3 weeks.

We don't do we'll when BP or TA drive and decide to put up a contested layup regardless if it's there. Tonight, Tray did a good job of driving and if the defense collapsed, kicking it out to DJ or Brandon. This was also the case against Indiana and at MSU. Good to see the execution and trust in the system get back to where it was in December.
job71188 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:45 PM   #250
Rall
Can you believe that our Illini have beaten 5 ranked teams so far, including a #1. We shouldn't have even be in that game. Butler, Gonzaga, OSU!. MN is a good team too but they were without their #2 scoring option. A Good, important road win though.

What I'm getting to is that our Illini were a broken team by the beginning of this week. Groce really achieved something here. We lose to IU and The MN game is a loss I'm betting. The season would be painful to complete.

Groce got our guys to be able to battle and beat the #1 team in the country and win!

He accomplished that with a team that can't rebound, can't pass the ball, can't dribble it, can't score consistently in the mid range game, can't finish at the basket either on drives or off offensive rebounds. About the only thing we can do is shoot the 3 reasonably well and play some decent defense off and on.

Is that a description of a team that has beaten 5 ranked teams. Unbelievable!
Thank you John Groce.

I think we have gotten up from the beat down the B1G has put on us. But we still have to beat PU and NU and enough of the rest to finish strong.

Somehow I think our Illini will.
Rall is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »