Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:25 PM   #6451
ILHoff
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiCityHoops34 View Post
I was trying to defend parker when it came to the beginning of the year but man, what a let down for a senior year of the high school player dubbed by sports illustrated as the best since lebron james.

Malcom Hill deserves strong consideration for Mr. Basketball
I agree ChiCityHoops. Also, tough for Parker to use the injury card when Malcolm Hill had a BLOOD CLOT and used no excuses to come back and play his senior year.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:45 PM   #6452
ChiCityHoops34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILHoff View Post
I agree ChiCityHoops. Also, tough for Parker to use the injury card when Malcolm Hill had a BLOOD CLOT and used no excuses to come back and play his senior year.
great point!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:30 PM   #6453
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILHoff View Post
Classic Sonny comment back in Dec. when JP was about 30#'s overweight, "well you you know he's part Polynesian". That's a true comment..
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:59 PM   #6454
Dan
Admin
Quote:
What does Groce do on his day off (on Valentine's Day)? Takes his wife on a recruiting visit

http://twitter.com/WernerESPNCU
Quote:
Groce will fly out with his wife to see Desmond Lee tomorrow, on Valentine's Day. (He didn't say who he was seeing).

http://twitter.com/Sturdy32
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:06 AM   #6455
Frankie Williams
If we pick up Lee do you see him playing some point guard to spell Tracy? I heard he has good ball handling skill and calls himself a combo guard and not sure if Jaylon Tate will be able to handle big minutes in a back up PG role.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:14 AM   #6456
dacookiemonsta
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Williams View Post
If we pick up Lee do you see him playing some point guard to spell Tracy? I heard he has good ball handling skill and calls himself a combo guard and not sure if Jaylon Tate will be able to handle big minutes in a back up PG role.
Possibly. Honestly he looks to have a better handle and just as good of vision as Brandon Paul so... Who knows.

I still think Tate can handle 10 minutes at point guard a game as a frosh though. We'll see.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:17 AM   #6457
jonnymo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo2 View Post
I think I should have been more clear with my comment....this was is no way a slight against HCJG, I just meant that if I were a top-rated PG and I was recruited by a head coach who ran this system, it would be difficult to say no. My point was that he has missed on several potential PGs to this point and I am surprised that one of them did not jump at the chance to star in this system. I understand that recruiting is a lot about relationships, but at some point, one would think that the type of offense you would be leading would be a major attraction. For instance, if I were a slashing and up-tempo PG, I certainly would not choose Wisconsin over Illinois for apparent reasons. I am confident he will land a true, elite PG soon.
OK gotcha and now I can agree 100% with you haha!! And I believe he will start pulling top PG talent soon. Top talent period
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:18 AM   #6458
jcgoldie
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacookiemonsta View Post
Possibly. Honestly he looks to have a better handle and just as good of vision as Brandon Paul so... Who knows.
Lee looks good to me from the highlight vids and I trust Groce knows what his team needs the next couple of years, but I cringe a little when I see the Brandon Paul comparisons... pretty sure he's not playing and probably has never encountered anything like big 10 caliber competition.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:23 AM   #6459
freebird6
GOod luck to JG on the recruiting trip. Best of all worlds... a wife that played and loves hoops and helps recruit the families and strong support systems JG uses to build his teams.

As for Lyles, I have watched him play several games this year. For such a big guy he spends a lot of time playing below the rim. He has a heaviness in his legs I have not found words to describe yet. I will go out on a limb and say no matter where he goes he will become the most irritating, discussed and frustrating player for that fanbase.

Overheard several coaches talking amongst each other as to where he would commit. 4 of them at once said the same exact thing as they looked over at his dad...."follow the money"..one of the few times I have seen more than 2 coaches in the same place agree on anything

I think he is fairly talented but do not think he adds to what Groce is trying to build into the program. Subtraction by addition where ever he lands.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:29 AM   #6460
kyontz
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird6 View Post
GOod luck to JG on the recruiting trip. Best of all worlds... a wife that played and loves hoops and helps recruit the families and strong support systems JG uses to build his teams.

As for Lyles, I have watched him play several games this year. For such a big guy he spends a lot of time playing below the rim. He has a heaviness in his legs I have not found words to describe yet. I will go out on a limb and say no matter where he goes he will become the most irritating, discussed and frustrating player for that fanbase.

Overheard several coaches talking amongst each other as to where he would commit. 4 of them at once said the same exact thing as they looked over at his dad...."follow the money"..one of the few times I have seen more than 2 coaches in the same place agree on anything

I think he is fairly talented but do not think he adds to what Groce is trying to build into the program. Subtraction by addition where ever he lands.
Are you referring to Lyle or Lyles. I hope you're truly referring to Lyles. In that case, I don't think we're even in the mix........
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:32 AM   #6461
Joel Goodson
Coffee is for closers!
Quote:

We're not recruiting Lyles.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:43 AM   #6462
Kramer116
Quote:

Agree, Lyles dad is an interesting guy. A lot of smoke on that one.

"I do want to address something. I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in it's place. I'm going to tell you what place it's in. It's in a great place. That's what place it's in.... So if anyone wants to know what place Illinois college hoops is in right now, it's in a great place. Not a good place. A great place" - JFG
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:15 AM   #6463
BRy12
Updated ESPN Class Rankings 2013

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-s.../classrankings

This is nice to wake up to this morning. Our class made the biggest jump (8 spots in total)! Interestingly enough, it appears that Nunn and Hill either dropped or stayed relatively the same in the top 100. I find this odd since our entire class made the biggest leap. Regardless, it's great to see JG lock a top 17 type class when he's just getting his feet wet.

Hopefully these Seniors (BP DJ TG SAM) go out with a bang in March so that JG can carry this momentum into the class of 2014.. We need a PG and physical presence down low and the state is loaded..

Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:28 AM   #6464
IlliniEX2011
Alum
Watching the MoPo/Simeon game I was impressed with Billy Garrett, is there a reason we weren't really in on him? He's listed as a PG so it shouldn't have been a Nunn or him kinda deal.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:30 AM   #6465
illiniobserver22
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniEX2011 View Post
Watching the MoPo/Simeon game I was impressed with Billy Garrett, is there a reason we weren't really in on him? He's listed as a PG so it shouldn't have been a Nunn or him kinda deal.
His dad coaches at DePaul and he verballed there a long time ago.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:34 AM   #6466
MikeThomas4Prez
Not that I'm expecting any of ours to be in it, but for those interested the McD's All American rosters are announced tonight at 4 on ESPNU
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:41 AM   #6467
radiodj
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeThomas4Prez View Post
Not that I'm expecting any of ours to be in it, but for those interested the McD's All American rosters are announced tonight at 4 on ESPNU
If there's one guy who has a chance (albeit probably a small chance) it is Hill. Don't think he'll be selected though.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:46 AM   #6468
illini ri0t
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiodj View Post
If there's one guy who has a chance (albeit probably a small chance) it is Hill. Don't think he'll be selected though.

Nunn doesn't have a shot? Was he nominated?

Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:47 AM   #6469
IlliniFandom
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRy12 View Post
http://insider.espn.go.com/college-s.../classrankings

This is nice to wake up to this morning. Our class made the biggest jump (8 spots in total)! Interestingly enough, it appears that Nunn and Hill either dropped or stayed relatively the same in the top 100. I find this odd since our entire class made the biggest leap. Regardless, it's great to see JG lock a top 17 type class when he's just getting his feet wet.

Hopefully these Seniors (BP DJ TG SAM) go out with a bang in March so that JG can carry this momentum into the class of 2014.. We need a PG and physical presence down low and the state is loaded..

+1000
However, I think the improvement made thus far is evidence enough for recruits that things are on the up and up. Sure a good March run will help, but I see that as more icing on the cake rather than the cake itself. I think JG and what he's shown he's been able to do, has recruits interested. I don't think he's shown everything yet just because the personel isn't there for him to highlight his entire system, but his ability to adapt, to develop, to toughen, to motivate, to trust is encouraging and most eye opening to me. If I were..oh 20 years younger, a foot taller, and could actually play basketball, then I'd probably have my ears up to hear what he has to say.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:48 AM   #6470
IlliniEX2011
Alum
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniobserver22 View Post
His dad coaches at DePaul and he verballed there a long time ago.
Ahhh, that makes sense, damn that's unfortunate he looks like a player.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:50 AM   #6471
illini ri0t
Quote:

It would be nice to see Depaul get a few quality recruits, Purnell has had a hard time recruiting... he seems like a good guy.

Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:51 AM   #6472
cjcastan
Quote:
BG sr coaches there for now lol.

I don't think OP and staff will be there all four years BG jr is supposed to play there.

Wouldn't be surprised if that kid finishes his college career somewhere else. Not saying he would be at Illinois, but I highly doubt BG jr will stay a blue demon for 4 years.

Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:57 AM   #6473
sapan1030
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini ri0t View Post
As I've said before, 0% chance any of our guys end up as McDonald's All-Americans. Pretty much every knows who they are beforehand, because they're the players that get the most press, and are, for the most part, the top 25 guys that commit to UK, Duke, and Carolina. Nunn is going to be good, but he's almost all potential right now. Previous McDonalds All-Americans have been Carmelo, Durant, D-Rose, Lebron, John Wall, etc. so that should give you some kind of indication as to the talent level of the players in that game

Last edited by sapan1030; Feb 14, 2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:08 AM   #6474
IlliniEX2011
Alum
Looks like we've been on a downturn in McD's All-Americans 7 in the 80's, 4 in the 90's and 2 in the 00's. Hopefully JG can buck that trend
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:10 AM   #6475
radiodj
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini ri0t View Post
Yes, Nunn was nominated. I meant the only recruir who has anything close to a realistic chance of being selected. I still think none of our guys make the team; much like span said.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »