Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

The Illinois Helmets & Uniforms Thread 2013

Closed Thread

Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:15 PM   #151
ChiBears
Why couldn't they do something like Oregon and use a Block I on the back of the helmet, or have Illinois going vertical from the back of the helmet?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:32 PM   #152
HsvIllini
I think this is my favorite so far - slight hope that maybe this is bait for gauging interest on designs for the full rollout?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:42 PM   #153
OrangeAndBlue217
I dont see why we couldnt get away with the feather look. You can attribute a feather to many things. We can just say it has nothing to do with the chief or Native Americans, but we know.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:47 AM   #154
AHSIllini32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiBears View Post
Why couldn't they do something like Oregon and use a Block I on the back of the helmet, or have Illinois going vertical from the back of the helmet?
I think that helmet with a block I dead-center on the back (a la Oregon as you pointed out) would look fabulous.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:18 AM   #155
Symmooth
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUWPC View Post
Love it.
looks too chicken :laugh:
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:01 AM   #156
Illinnoying Orange
I think the feather helmet looks pretty nice --- but definitely would look better w/o the lettering on the side.

I also think it'd look good to include small 'block-I' pride stickers throughout the season (if we do some things to actually earn some) in the open blue space along the back of the helmet.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:37 AM   #157
sebum
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncoillini View Post
I like the helmet with the slanted Illinois. Pretty cool either way.
With the hypersensitive administration that the University has I am shocked there hasn't been a call for removal of slanted lettering for fear of offending Asian-Americans.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:08 AM   #158
BZuppke

I think this blows away anything else I've seen and competes well with the Oregons of college football (although I still dislike slant Illinois). The best way to get this done is to go to the NCAA to get their blessing ahead of time. The NCAA may work with us because they may enjoy the idea of us asking them for permission (maybe this is wishful thinking).
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:25 AM   #159
IlliniGuy
I'm guessing if we are going to be able to use feathers we would have to have it connected to some sort of bird. My suggestion would be the Lammergeyer.
http://www.free-digital-photography-...phy-447atr.jpg

With its orange chest feathers we could just switch the black to navy blue and it would work out well. Oh yeah and it is also know as the Bearded Vulture!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:39 AM   #160
pizzaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAndBlue217 View Post
I dont see why we couldnt get away with the feather look. You can attribute a feather to many things. We can just say it has nothing to do with the chief or Native Americans, but we know.
Exactly. Feathers are from birds, native americans don't get to claim them as theirs alone. If we want to use feathers on a helmet or uniform, do it!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:11 AM   #161
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
I think that helmet with a block I dead-center on the back (a la Oregon as you pointed out) would look fabulous.
I agree. And the feather thing is never going to happen.

Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:10 PM   #162
thatguy92
Not sure if this has been posted here yet but I like these as at least a throwback alternate. Obviously we can't use the chief but I like the classic look with hints of the zig zags.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/...__hl__illinois

Last edited by Dan; Feb 22, 2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:31 PM   #163
GilThorpe
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy92 View Post
Not sure if this has been posted here yet but I like these as at least a throwback alternate. Obviously we can't use the chief but I like the classic look with hints of the zig zags.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/...__hl__illinois
the state of Illinois outline is okay on the football field, but imo, its nothing to get at all that excited about on a helmet. We need something we can use not only on the helmet, but on lots of things like Iowa does with that hawkeye logo.

Obviously we're a bit handicapped without having a real mascot or symbol, but thats what the graphic design / ad/ marketing firms are for.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:24 PM   #164
OrangeAndBlue217
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniGuy View Post
I'm guessing if we are going to be able to use feathers we would have to have it connected to some sort of bird. My suggestion would be the Lammergeyer.
http://www.free-digital-photography-...phy-447atr.jpg

With its orange chest feathers we could just switch the black to navy blue and it would work out well. Oh yeah and it is also know as the Bearded Vulture!
YES!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:24 PM   #165
OrangeAndBlue217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
I agree. And the feather thing is never going to happen.
Just suck the life out of us!!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:25 PM   #166
OrangeAndBlue217
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilThorpe View Post
the state of Illinois outline is okay on the football field, but imo, its nothing to get at all that excited about on a helmet. We need something we can use not only on the helmet, but on lots of things like Iowa does with that hawkeye logo.

Obviously we're a bit handicapped without having a real mascot or symbol, but thats what the graphic design / ad/ marketing firms are for.
Yeah, the state outline is bad idea. They look better with bama style having just numbers on it.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:28 PM   #167
Dan
Admin
Another concept by iwantcakeplz

Quote:
New #illini helmets idea with logo @IllinoisLoyalty come on #illini #Football http://pic.twitter.com/AUYZklvbBw

http://twitter.com/iwantcakeplz
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:30 PM   #168
OrangeAndBlue217
Never seen a block I look so good.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:33 PM   #169
ILLSauce
Director of the Ekey Fan Club
I love these uniforms. Simple and look great. Tradition seeps from these unis.

Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:38 PM   #170
Dan
Admin
And another one..

Quote:
Illini helmet just Feathers small I logo #ILLINI #Football #ILL #INI @IllinoisLoyalty http://pic.twitter.com/Zq4EZe8ElR

http://twitter.com/iwantcakeplz
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:46 PM   #171
Ander1345
If you remove the headress stuff and just leave the feathers themselves I dont see why that couldn't actually be used as a helmet. Or do we as a society think that feathers and native Americans just automatically go together? You know, cuz I just kinda feel like that is what we were trying to avoid in the first place.

Its like, oh you're special... But dont show it too much because you can reinforce stereotypes... But be special. What a joke. Put feathers on the helmet, make them look as un native American like as possible, and call it a day.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:53 PM   #172
thatguy92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ander1345 View Post
If you remove the headress stuff and just leave the feathers themselves I dont see why that couldn't actually be used as a helmet. Or do we as a society think that feathers and native Americans just automatically go together? You know, cuz I just kinda feel like that is what we were trying to avoid in the first place.

Its like, oh you're special... But dont show it too much because you can reinforce stereotypes... But be special. What a joke. Put feathers on the helmet, make them look as un native American like as possible, and call it a day.
Oregon has feathers on their uniforms. If they can and we can't that's garbage.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:58 PM   #173
BZuppke
I like the modification - drop the slant Illinois and add the state outline with the I. IMHO this would become an iconic helmet that would stand the test of time. It is a great, great design. Head and shoulders above 90% of the college helmets out there. I don't think I'm wishful thinking that if we have the right contacts at the NCAA (maybe Uncle Jim can help), they'd bless it and come up with some farce that it is not related to Native American imagery and call it good.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:12 PM   #174
DrewD007
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy92 View Post
Oregon has feathers on their uniforms. If they can and we can't that's garbage.
Well their mascot is an animal with feathers. Our only reason in using feathers would be to invoke Chief's headdress.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:18 PM   #175
Illinnoying Orange
I like the orange and/or blue helmet concept w/ the large block I on it (they dont need the small feather thing attached though).

I thought one of the problems with the block I on the matte blue helmets this year was that the logo was way too small.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »