Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (July-August 2013)

Closed Thread

Old Aug 1, 2013, 05:25 PM   #3726
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac279 View Post
I'm in !
You might want to put that device back on, because UWGB has just offered Christian Williams of Decatur St. Teresa.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 05:25 PM   #3727
illinifan31
Orange Krush Cow
I mean...there was an entire article in the Tribune about Alexander going to DePaul. Still didn't mean anything.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 05:26 PM   #3728
Noday
Saying that the Illini are DEFINITELY in it after pretty much stating that people like to presume who is in the lead is much different than saying that a team just has a chance.

Last edited by Noday; Aug 1, 2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 05:58 PM   #3729
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noday View Post
Saying that the Illini are DEFINITELY in it after pretty much stating that people like to presume who is in the lead is much different than saying that a team just has a chance.
What does "DEFINITELY in it" mean? 5% chance? For sure Cliff will say nice things about Groce after he signs with KU? We have as much a chance as anyone else?

Let's be honest. DePaul has NO chance. So by saying DePaul has a chance, Irvin just undercut his credibility on this recruitment. Irvin telling me that we are definitely in it doesn't mean anything. Groce wouldn't still be actively recruiting CA if we didn't have some chance.

Old Aug 1, 2013, 06:10 PM   #3730
Wokker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
Let's be honest. DePaul has NO chance. So by saying DePaul has a chance, Irvin just undercut his credibility on this recruitment. Irvin telling me that we are definitely in it doesn't mean anything. Groce wouldn't still be actively recruiting CA if we didn't have some chance.
Exactly. That will be our best indicator in the end, much mores than an AAU coach, twitter, or other "experts". If/when Groce backs off Cliff big time, a la Lyle, we all know what that would mean.

Until then, go
Old Aug 1, 2013, 06:14 PM   #3731
WinOrElse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Goodson View Post
Our fanbase can parse anything and come to a negative conclusion.
I recently noticed that Alexander wears #11. That can't possibly be a good sign.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 06:17 PM   #3732
IlliniRunIn07
I don't think anyone actually thinks we have a worse shot at landing Cliff because we are mentioned right next to DePaul. People are just freaking out because it doesn't necessarily mean we have a better chance at landing Cliff. I'd place the odds of landing Cliff at 15-20% which is pretty good for a #2 player. I do think we are in it until the end. Maybe we make a late push, but I'd be surprised if we are the leaders. Maybe some insiders can prove me wrong, because I would love to be wrong.

On the flip side, how do we retroactively interpret Irvin's quote if Cliff does pick DePaul?
Old Aug 1, 2013, 06:36 PM   #3733
kingmal
Banned
Jerry Meyer tweeting that Indiana is making alot of headway with Quentin Snider.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 06:39 PM   #3734
Stucash
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmal View Post
Jerry Meyer tweeting that Indiana is making alot of headway with Quentin Snider.
Meyer is a dunce
Old Aug 1, 2013, 06:49 PM   #3735
ater2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniRunIn07 View Post
I don't think anyone actually thinks we have a worse shot at landing Cliff because we are mentioned right next to DePaul. People are just freaking out because it doesn't necessarily mean we have a better chance at landing Cliff. I'd place the odds of landing Cliff at 15-20% which is pretty good for a #2 player. I do think we are in it until the end. Maybe we make a late push, but I'd be surprised if we are the leaders. Maybe some insiders can prove me wrong, because I would love to be wrong.

On the flip side, how do we retroactively interpret Irvin's quote if Cliff does pick DePaul?
Ok heres the deal.......irvin was being interviewed by a local paper so of course theyre going to talk about the local schools. Idk why people are freaking out about this lol
Old Aug 1, 2013, 06:54 PM   #3736
CARPET
You, guys and gals are killing me analyzing every movement of air.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 06:56 PM   #3737
Noday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
What does "DEFINITELY in it" mean? 5% chance? For sure Cliff will say nice things about Groce after he signs with KU? We have as much a chance as anyone else?

What I take from what Irvin said is that he doesn't think that CA is a KU lean. I think he believes that UI is pretty much neck and neck with KU, and maybe other schools. Depaul on the other hand still has a chance to persuade CA because there is no clear cut leader.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 06:57 PM   #3738
mdonsbach
Snider with an offer

Quote:
Well, for those Illini fans who were wondering 6'1 2014 PG Quentin Snider has received a scholarship offer from Illinois & HC John Groce.
The Bro's tweet that Snider officially has an offer from Illinois. Let the games begin!

Old Aug 1, 2013, 07:04 PM   #3739
ChiTownJH
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARPET View Post
You, guys and gals are killing me analyzing every movement of air.
+1
Old Aug 1, 2013, 07:09 PM   #3740
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Illinois has offered 2014 Louisville Magic/Ballard (KY) G Quentin Snider @QuentinSnider4 http://verbalcommits.com/players/quentin-snider

http://twitter.com/VerbalCommits
Old Aug 1, 2013, 07:10 PM   #3741
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdonsbach View Post
Snider with an offer

The Bro's tweet that Snider officially has an offer from Illinois. Let the games begin!
Good news

"I do want to address something. I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in it's place. I'm going to tell you what place it's in. It's in a great place. That's what place it's in.... So if anyone wants to know what place Illinois college hoops is in right now, it's in a great place. Not a good place. A great place" - JFG
Old Aug 1, 2013, 07:10 PM   #3742
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noday View Post
What I take from what Irvin said is that he doesn't think that CA is a KU lean. I think he believes that UI is pretty much neck and neck with KU, and maybe other schools. Depaul on the other hand still has a chance to persuade CA because there is no clear cut leader.
Wow. I guess you are definitely a glass-half-full-when-there-is-a-drop-of-water kind of guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdonsbach View Post
Snider with an offer

I'll be very interested to see how this develops. If Snider is looking for a quality program with playing opportunity PG, Illinois would seem to be a fit (though maybe not as a freshman.)

Old Aug 1, 2013, 07:11 PM   #3743
OrangeandBlue89
Banned
For the guy wondering why we are talking about Snider and not Ullis, there's why. One has a scholarship offer and the other doesn't.

3 positives in our favor in this recruitment.

1. The Cosby connection. No matter how big or small it is, it cannot be anything but a positive that they are "bro's" and both from Louisville.

2. Our need for a PG. He will have the opportunity to be given the keys to the program right after Tracy graduates. IMO Yogi is a 4 year player due to his size. That would mean he would have to wait till JR year at IU.

3. Location.

I'm definitely not saying that other programs don't have these positives going for them as well. I'm just highlighting what I feel our strengths are in this recruitment.

It's nice to hear that we have offered him. I'll be ecstatic if we are one of the schools on the list of 5 that was mentioned by his father.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 07:14 PM   #3744
-josh-
Calm, Collected, German.
wow...landing Snider would be HUGE

Old Aug 1, 2013, 07:19 PM   #3745
Bailey
Snider would thrive in this offense. I think he's a better fit than Lyle would have been.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 07:23 PM   #3746
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Quentin Snider's dad said he has early offers from Minnesota, UConn, WVU, Illinois and Marquette.

http://twitter.com/SteveJones_CJ
Old Aug 1, 2013, 07:28 PM   #3747
217sports
Quote:
@SteveJones_CJ: Two schools that have not reached out to Quentin Snider the past 24 hours: Louisville and Kentucky.
Quote:
@SteveJones_CJ: Quentin Snider's dad said he's heard from about 25-30 schools in all.
Quote:
@jdemling: Quentin Snider - serious interest from Indiana and will visit. Offers from Minnesota, West Virginia, Illinois, Marquette. Tons of others.
Quote:
@jdemling: Vandy, Butler, UCLA, Oklahoma State among the others interested in Snider, who de-committed from Louisville just 24 hours ago.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 07:28 PM   #3748
IlliniSpine
Banned
I think Minn could have a small, but not impossible chance at Snider

1. Pitino connection - if Snider really liked Louisville and there is no love lost there, the Pitino connection could help...if not, this could hurt.

2. Playing time at PG

3. Playing style

Chances that a 1st year coach gets a top 30 PG to Minn?...slim, but possible.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 07:29 PM   #3749
mdonsbach
I dunno I just feel like Groce might pull this out of no where and snag this guy. Especially if he gets him on campus for a visit.

Old Aug 1, 2013, 07:35 PM   #3750
IlliniSpine
Banned
Just looked at Marquette's roster...guard poor. Vander was a huge loss. Their leading returning point guard:

Todd Mayo 5/1.2/.7 apg
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »