Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois 75, Georgia Tech 62 POSTGAME

Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:13 PM   #26
FinalFour88
Bertand player of the game. But Paul did some nice things on the defensive end, as did DJ.
FinalFour88 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:13 PM   #27
illiniCA
Great game to watch. I think coaching won this game because the system removed the hesitation that has caused the steam to stall out when a game gets close.

I was a little bummed henry didn't get more mins but that was due to lack of size. It really threw off the rotation and kemp he and Langord out of the game.

Also thank god Groce got Mclaurin or we would get demolished inside all year long. I will probably repeat that with Morgan and Colbert next year.
illiniCA is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:14 PM   #28
Dan
Admin

Last edited by Dan; Jan 29, 2013 at 11:05 AM.
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:14 PM   #29
IlliniRunIn07
Just gotta say that I really liked GT. They played hard, didn't come across as punks, and just handled everything well.
IlliniRunIn07 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:15 PM   #30
Kleindog
Banned
Remember, this was a GT team that was holding opponents to 58 pts a game
Kleindog is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:15 PM   #31
illinibri92
Never a doubt!:rolleyes:
illinibri92 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:15 PM   #32
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Illini View Post
The zone will probably help mitigate our awful post D against teams with capable bigs.
This is the first time we've played extensive zone. Now teams will include this in their scouting reports and adjust. We need to improve inside.

Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:15 PM   #33
jackman404
Banned
Abrams and the big men were awful (except for Griffey's 3-point shooting). The wings can only carry this team so far. We are going to get POUNDED inside in the B1G if we don't figure things out quickly.

That said, good win tonight. Have to keep getting wins early because we are going to stumble a few times in league play.
jackman404 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:15 PM   #34
AK Illini
Banned
Bertrand took off from way out there
AK Illini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:15 PM   #35
liquidwisdom
Bertrand went off, and Groce switched to an active 2-3 zone defense! Long time since we've seen such an in-game adjustment. Illini did their part tonight!
liquidwisdom is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:15 PM   #36
Botb9
Banned
That's a 20-point win and a dominating second half if they shoot their usual FT percentage. As it was, they still won by double digits.
Botb9 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:16 PM   #37
Lovethechief78
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrchardDowns View Post
Abrams is becoming a HUGE concern!!!
Tracey will be OK. He has been phenomenal at times and way out there at other times. He's learning, he's a keeper and we're damn lucky to have him
Lovethechief78 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:16 PM   #38
hailtothechief

hailtothechief is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:16 PM   #39
illinitrav
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrchardDowns View Post
Abrams is becoming a HUGE concern!!!
Let's not over exaggerate. He's has two straight poor games. What he a huge concern when he scored 17 against Butler or 20 against Hawaii? We lose to Hawaii if it weren't for him.

He's learning just like the rest of the team is. And in his offense, you could argue he's got more to learn than anyone.
illinitrav is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:16 PM   #40
AK Illini
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
This is the first time we've played extensive zone. Now teams will include this in their scouting reports and adjust. We need to improve inside.
Sure, it's not a magic cure. But adjusting to the zone is often easier said than done as we've seen many times.
AK Illini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:17 PM   #41
ChiCityHoops34
Banned
JB will be our best player by mid season.

While JB had that 10-0 run dont forget bp3 started two of the breaks with a block and a steal/save.

Nnanna has a lot of work to do, he literally does not leave his feet in the paint to ever try and get up to block a ball, needs to work on helpside d also.

In the first half nnanna had position on numerous times down the floor and our guards refused to throw him the ball, need to work on entry passes.
ChiCityHoops34 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:17 PM   #42
illinois_hustle
Not Ideal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovethechief78 View Post
Tracey will be OK. He has been phenomenal at times and way out there at other times. He's learning, he's a keeper and we're damn lucky to have him
+1
illinois_hustle is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:18 PM   #43
illinisc
Banned
I'm sure Egwu is a great kid and we all know how hard he tries but I think its time to move Sam M into the starting lineup. TG had a nice game offensively again and its good to see him growing more confident.
illinisc is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:19 PM   #44
freebird6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecLeagueHero View Post
Oh and BTW, the refs sucked AGAIN tonight. I've never seen a team that gets less calls on their home floor than Illinois.
I think with the aggressive d dialed up and active defensive mindset as well as the call in the locker room for toughness and more physical play, you are going to see more fouls given but you will also see the opposition turned over more often and more points off turns as they push the ball up. It is not as much the refs not giving home court calls as it is the mindset and all out pursuit that will cause the calls..
freebird6 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:19 PM   #45
OrangeAndBlue217
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinisc View Post
I'm sure Egwu is a great kid and we all know how hard he tries but I think its time to move Sam M into the starting lineup. TG had a nice game offensively again and its good to see him growing more confident.
Absolutely not.
OrangeAndBlue217 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:19 PM   #46
Leonardite
Illini Rising

So easy.
So easy.
So easy.

"Frank Williams putting on a show passing the rock! Driving, Drawing, and Dishing the rock! The three D's man!" --- The Frank Williams Show
Leonardite is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:20 PM   #47
illiniCA
Quote:
I agree he still should get a ton of mins but he has a lot to learn. I cringe every time he swipes a guard in transition.
illiniCA is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:21 PM   #48
The Galloping Ghost
Switching to zone when the man to man isn't working is a huge plus. It really helped us late in the game.

Glad our guys get almost a week off now. 6 games in 13 days was rough.
The Galloping Ghost is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:21 PM   #49
illinois_hustle
Not Ideal
Quote:
Close minutes between the two with Egwu starting to see if he can handle the opposition defensively is the way to go. (i.e. what we are doing currently)
illinois_hustle is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:21 PM   #50
Groundhogday
Groce points out that we are probably the only team to have played 8 games. Now going to go into "training camp" to work on everything they learned from these games.