Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Updated Big Ten division alignment coming soon

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Mar 19, 2013, 08:30 AM   #76
ButkusDaBear
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Wisconsin AD Barry Alvarez says Michigan State wants to be in the west.

"I know Michigan State was lobbying in the West Division instead of the East." via

This would be the alignment-

This makes the most sense because when we add two more to the conference (Ga. Tech, N. Carolina), all they would have to do is shift the line to the east and make Purdue and Indiana be in the west.
ButkusDaBear is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 08:46 AM   #77
Joel Goodson
Joel Goodson's Avatar
Location: Elmhurst
Posts: 6,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilThorpe View Post
it doesnt matter that much , imo, as the B1G isnt staying at 14 for long and we will likely never see the 9 game scheudle they are talking about. if we do expand further east , things will change again.
+1. This is gonna be a blip on the radar screen.
Joel Goodson is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 09:59 AM   #78
BobtheBarber2
Banned
Posts: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Indiana to the West-



Purdue to the West-

And the new division names can be:

Big Ten 1A and Big Ten 2A

I feel sorry for the Nebraska fans. They go from rivalries against Texas and Oklahoma to big games with Wisconsin and Minnesota ?

I agree though that this won't last long before future expansion occurs.
BobtheBarber2 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 10:16 AM   #79
GilThorpe
Banned
Location: Burr Ridge
Posts: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobtheBarber2 View Post
And the new division names can be:

Big Ten 1A and Big Ten 2A

I feel sorry for the Nebraska fans. They go from rivalries against Texas and Oklahoma to big games with Wisconsin and Minnesota ?

I agree though that this won't last long before future expansion occurs.
Nebraska was in the B12 north. they didnt have games every year against OU or UT or aTM. They were playing Mizzou, KU , KSU, ISU & Colo every year.

Believe, me, dont cry a river for Nebby fans. They are ecstatic that right now, in 3 years, they dont have to run the gauntlet every year to get to the CG game.

This future arrangement is akin to democrats saying there will be spending cuts down the road. never. gonna. happen.
GilThorpe is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 10:44 AM   #80
illini_minas
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 76
As others have mentioned this isn't going to last long. We already know that MSU wants in the West and IU & PU don't want to be split. I would be shocked if the B1G hasn't told those three schools that they will all be in the West once the conference adds UNC, UVA or who ever out east.

Assuming it is UNC and UVA they just have to draw the line that puts MSU and IU/PU in with the West and everyone is happy.
illini_minas is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:04 AM   #81
illiniCA
Location: DC Area
Posts: 1,143
I know this is all about football and to that end it doesn't really matter to me. In the long term all of those teams are pretty mediocre. I do wonder what the plan is for basketball with all of these teams and possibly more expansion. I am a much bigger basketball fan than football and with 20 conference games and with 14 teams we only get 6 home and aways. If we expand to 16 it is just going to get worse. That means we only play 4 out of 16 teams twice. I am not a fan.
illiniCA is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:09 AM   #82
BZuppke
Location: Plainfield
Posts: 2,247
It's a Nebraska conspiracy to help them have an easier path to the championship game!
BZuppke is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:11 AM   #83
BZuppke
Location: Plainfield
Posts: 2,247
I may have blinders on, but I still don't think adding more teams is a foregone conclusion. At this point it is logical, but only media speculation. I don't believe there is a real effort to make it happen yet. At least it may not happen as quickly as some think. Then again, I'm often wrong.
BZuppke is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:22 PM   #84
IlliNYC
Posts: 1,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini_minas View Post
As others have mentioned this isn't going to last long. We already know that MSU wants in the West and IU & PU don't want to be split. I would be shocked if the B1G hasn't told those three schools that they will all be in the West once the conference adds UNC, UVA or who ever out east.

Assuming it is UNC and UVA they just have to draw the line that puts MSU and IU/PU in with the West and everyone is happy.
That's the easy part.

The tricky thing is if we go to 18...which I think is a possibility. Than you're leaving one traditional Big Ten alone in the East.
IlliNYC is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 01:22 PM   #85
ThreeInOne4Ever
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyk View Post
Big Ten West = Big 12 North
Agreed. I just don't see how you can get away with the likes of Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and Michigan State in one division. Too much consolidated power* for the revenue sports, even with Nebraska and Wisconsin trying to make it.

And it has to be IU over Purdue...at least then you have a better argument for basketball balance (IU, UI, Wisconsin against Ohio State, Michigan State, Michigan) - although I still think the basketball x-factors would favor the east (Maryland/Purdue over the likes of Minnesota/Iowa)

*I'm meaning not only on-field success but media coverage and clout.
ThreeInOne4Ever is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 01:28 PM   #86
illynifan34
That's a winner!!
Location: OH
Posts: 7,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeInOne4Ever View Post
Agreed. I just don't see how you can get away with the likes of Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and Michigan State in one division. Too much consolidated power* for the revenue sports, even with Nebraska and Wisconsin trying to make it.

And it has to be IU over Purdue...at least then you have a better argument for basketball balance (IU, UI, Wisconsin against Ohio State, Michigan State, Michigan) - although I still think the basketball x-factors would favor the east (Maryland/Purdue over the likes of Minnesota/Iowa)

*I'm meaning not only on-field success but media coverage and clout.
Divisions do not apply to basketball.
illynifan34 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 03:30 PM   #87
plooger
Posts: 1,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZuppke View Post
I may have blinders on, but I still don't think adding more teams is a foregone conclusion. At this point it is logical, but only media speculation. I don't believe there is a real effort to make it happen yet. At least it may not happen as quickly as some think. Then again, I'm often wrong.
Who knows... maybe the implosion of the Big East will lead to a sooner than expected expansion of the B1G East.
plooger is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 04:18 PM   #88
BZuppke
Location: Plainfield
Posts: 2,247
Since when is MSU a traditional power? Last I checked they were very mediocre last year. I wouldn't pencil them in for any Big Ten championships just yet. They won their last (tie) in 2010 and before that it was 1990 in the interesting 4 way tie with us, Iowa and scUM. Dantonio is a good coach, but they had a total of two great seasons thus far (2010 and 2011) when Kirk Cousins was QB.
BZuppke is offline Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools

Forum Jump