Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > General > Track 5 Chat

Occupy Wall Street protests

Old Jun 4, 2012, 12:01 PM   #326
DaytonIllini
Almost 1 in 20 American households have more than $1M in investable assets. That excludes their primary residence I believe.

Sounds like a whole lot more than 1% of the country is doing pretty well.

Interestingly Singapore which has no capital gains taxes has nearly 1 in 5 households with more than $1M in investable assets.

http://www.bloomberg.com/money-galle...e.html#slide16

Last edited by DaytonIllini; Jun 4, 2012 at 12:04 PM.
DaytonIllini is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2012, 12:05 PM   #327
OlivetNaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
Almost 1 in 20 American households have more than $1M in investable assets. That excludes their primary residence I believe.

Sounds like a whole lot more than 1% of the country is doing pretty well.
To this, I would ask what the definition of "household" is to come up with that measure. Are we talking about just people who own their house, or every household regardless of whether they rent or own? Is extended family that lives in one home considered one household or multiple households according to the number of family cores residing there?

I certainly don't have $1M in investable assets, and I know no one who DOES.

"If life were logical, men would ride side-saddle."
OlivetNaz is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2012, 12:08 PM   #328
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlivetNaz View Post
To this, I would ask what the definition of "household" is to come up with that measure. Are we talking about just people who own their house, or every household regardless of whether they rent or own? Is extended family that lives in one home considered one household or multiple households according to the number of family cores residing there?

I certainly don't have $1M in investable assets, and I know no one who DOES.
A household has nothing to do with owning a home though. It is a family unit declaring taxes as a group at one address. That's the usual definition anyway.

You are young Olivet. I doubt many young people have that kind of money but lots of people in their 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's do. My guess is that with age the percentage increases. You never know what someone is worth but I don't think it is that uncommon.

BTW, it works out to 5.1M households in the US.

Last edited by DaytonIllini; Jun 4, 2012 at 12:13 PM.
DaytonIllini is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2012, 01:15 PM   #329
OlivetNaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
A household has nothing to do with owning a home though. It is a family unit declaring taxes as a group at one address. That's the usual definition anyway.

You are young Olivet. I doubt many young people have that kind of money but lots of people in their 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's do. My guess is that with age the percentage increases. You never know what someone is worth but I don't think it is that uncommon.

BTW, it works out to 5.1M households in the US.
Thanks for the clarification. Whenever numbers like that come out, I always distrust them to a degree because you never know what filter the information is coming through. Too many economic stats can be twisted to fill someone or other's agenda. Hence the clarification.

My parents had over $1M in investable assets, and saw 62% of it get wiped out in four months back in 08-09. Fortunately, they're back to about 90% of what they had before the crash now...

"If life were logical, men would ride side-saddle."
OlivetNaz is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2012, 01:59 AM   #330
bmb777
Banned
“Occupy the RNC” Instructional Video Advises Firebombing Police Officers

stay classy occupy freaks.

http://redalertpolitics.com/2012/07/...lice-officers/

Quote:
In one of ResistRNC’s “helpful videos,” a young man is seen lighting a Molotov cocktail on fire, and then hurling the firebomb towards a group of police.

A second video involving a packed athletic stadium, shows members of the crowd lighting fireworks and tossing burning torches onto the track towards individuals on the field, presumably police.

In a special “Notice to Law Enforcement Spying on Us,” ResistRNC writes, “We exist to provide information and facilitate logistics for people resisting the RNC. Don’t f**k with us.”

As dangerous and criminal as the movement may be, ResistRNC has received the endorsement of several prominent coalitions, including Occupy Wall Street, CODEPINK, and Jesse Jackson’s Rainbow PUSH Coalition

but I thought Jesse Jackson advocated peaceful protesting?
bmb777 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 02:35 AM   #331
bmb777
Banned
More Than 180 Occupy Wall Street Arrests in NYC

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/h...ested-17252283

Quote:
"This is a movement. It's only been a year," said protester Justin Stone Diaz, of Brooklyn. "It's going to take many years for it to develop and figure out exactly who we are."
wait.....what?? so these idiots are just gonna wander around protesting with no clue what the h*ll they are doing or what they stand for??
bmb777 is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | General Chat | Next Thread »